/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

pement.org/sed/sed1line.txt
pement.org/awk/awk1line.txt
catonmat.net/download/perl1line.txt
computerworld.com/article/2512597/government-it/hackers-get-access-to-n-j--school-data-system.html
lmgtfy.com/?q=tux keycap
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_induction
twitter.com/AnonBabble

When will you be done with your silly hate thing?

no u

Any good IDE for linux?

Atom is pissing me off and Kate is faggot shit.

I miss Notepad ++

thanks. this is what I get when I open vi. can you blame anyone for getting confused?

It's because vi is on most distros just a symlink to vim, so it calls the same program.

How do I cope with the existence of systemd /fglt/?

I've gone through all the other stages of grief already (denial, anger, bargaining, and depression) but my autism just won't let me move on to acceptance.

How do you do it?

Have you tried systemctl poweroff and turning it back on again?

> Linux is about choice.

If I could only have one thing this year, it would be to eliminate that
meme from the collective consciousness. It is a disease. It strangles
the mind and ensures you can never change anything ever because someone
somewhere has OCD'd their environment exactly how they like it and how
dare you change it on them you're so mean and next time I have friends
over for Buffy night you're not invited mom he's sitting on my side
again.

As a consumer, yes, you have lots of choices in which Linux you use.
This does not mean Linux is in any sense _about_ choice, any more than
because there are so many kinds of cars you can buy that cars are about
choice.

The complaints up-thread about juju and pulse are entirely valid, but
the solution is not to try to deliver two things at once. If you try to
deliver both at once you have to also deliver a way of switching between
the two. Now you have three moving parts instead of one, which means
the failure rate has gone up by a factor of _six_ (three parts, and
three interactions). We have essentially already posited that we have
insufficient developer effort to have 100%-complete features at ship
time, so asking them to take on six times the failure rate when they're
already overburdened is just madness. Alternatively, we could say that
we're integrating features too rapidly, but you do that at the expense
of goal 1, to be the showcase for the latest and greatest in free
software.

FUCKING GNU FAGGOTS KILL YOURSELVES NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR NON-CONTRIBUTION TO LINUX

I just dream about installing Void or Gentoo some day and pretend I'm not running software developed by Satan himself. But I never get to installing another distro, because Fedora is too comfy to leave. Any advice on how to make yourself switch? Surely some distro-hopper can share the secret?

It's not just a touchy feely philosophy user.

The idea behind it is actually a rock solid concept to improve development. Look at this shit, pic related.

Pulseaudio (and also systemd, this type of software development seems to be Poetterings calling card) is nothing more than sweeping everything under the rug.
There is nothing elegant about these solutions, and in fact sweeping it under the rug just prevents real solutions from ever being able to come into the light.

GIVE ME A GOOD IDE TO WORK ON NIGGERS

I WANT TO MAKE SHIT COMPILE AND SPIT OUT FROM A FUCKING CONSOLE IN THE SAME WINDOW.

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I have coreutils, grub, bash, findutils, screen, finger, grep....
What's missing?
I want as much GNU on my computer as I can get.
The fucking freedom is so fucking intense!!!

(you)

What's the comfiest distro?

Linux Mint.
It's chock full of GNU.

Windows since Vista does basically same thing though. Direct hardware access for audio is painfully inflexible and unnecessary from a latency standpoint.

probably Ubuntu, or Mint. Also Arch Linux is popular amongst masochists.

post interesting pics

define comfy. i'd say gentoo and arch due to how light they are and how well they work on my computer

Well it's all fine and good to create an option that ties things together like that.

But I really think the reason people hate the software he produces is because the way it's done it results in us basically _depending_ on it.

It's like having a big mess lying on your floor and it's no one persons fault. But instead of working together to clean it up or just letting individuals pick up the pieces they need and use them, or creating his software that sort of organizes everything on the floor a little bit but is still completely optional
he just goes ahead and does it all for us, wraps everything up into this big ol' shitball and anyone who needs individual pieces now has to plug into this giant ball of shit and that's just how we're going to be doing things for the next 20yrs because he gets so much support for some reason.

What is this friendly faggotry? Why not the manly and angry gnu lunix thread? Grrrrr!!!

/maglt/?
I like it.

/malt/ sounds better

It does.

Someone should make it. I got a lot of problems with you people, and on /malt/ you're gonna hear about it

are repositories cross compatible between distros?

:^)
Saved for future reference.

Been trying to remove plasma-desktop and now i get this when i try to boot.
Tried systemctl default and systemctl reboot, problem persists.
What do?
No.
Depends on the distro (lubuntu is compatible with xubuntu and such)

Did your mother have any children that were NOT born retarded?

Linux is about choice.
We're here.
We choose.
Get used to it, asshole.

Shut the fuck up linux losers, I could kick all your neckbeard asses and I'm like 17 so fuck you. Linux doesn't even have video games, what a pathetic joke.

Try journalctl -xb and see what is throwing the error.

You have to be retarded to use linux

gr8 b8 m8 oh w8 it ain’t

Nigger

>(USER WAS BANNER FOR THIS POST)

That's just a meme, that never happens.

Banned*
Damn keyboard

Yes it does
mods are gods

Because he tackles a lot of fiddly things nobody else wants to be arsed with. There's nothing stopping anyone from making a pulse clone, but the niche is toy audio by definition. Jack exists for real work.

Systemd, same difference. Nobody really NEEDS it except for enterprise, but all the other whore distros smelled where the money was going. I'm still disappointed in Debian.

...GNU/Linux losers...

I just upgraded to Devuan Ascii and my font rendering got a massive boost. I no longer have a single reason to complain about anything non-ubuntu. Very very nice

Wha should i look for? Theres shitloads of text

i got banned for saying the "im 12 and what is this meme"

I'm pretty sure the reason they do that is to be on the safe site legally. Although I'm sure they'd appeal it pretty quickly.

Something that is red

What are some cool terminal commands?

they do it as a joke thats not funny. ie vp banned me for 7 days for saying im 11 (illogical ban time)

pement.org/awk/awk1line.txt
catonmat.net/download/perl1line.txt

su

Mods are faggots, they don't do public bans.

>pic
story?

Why would you ever use su?

Because sudo is for faggots and root login is dumb

pls stop shitposting

no u

this

Liar.
Upgrading to "ascii" doesn't work. Tried it myself.

write [user] [tty]

computerworld.com/article/2512597/government-it/hackers-get-access-to-n-j--school-data-system.html
Found it.

On January 18th, 2011, a 1337 h4x0r posted the administrator details to the database of a school in Rhode Island. Many lulz resulted from this, with school lunch prices set to 9000, 1 credit needed to graduate, all black kids expelled for stabbing, and a "special alert" sent to all parents containing the Stallman GNU/Linux copypasta, among many other edits. Basically, the entire database was anally raped. The thread resulted in half of Sup Forums being banned and once again proved that Sup Forums is the best board on Sup Forums.

I did it.

I finally did it, GNU-senpai. After being indecisive for 6 years, I finally confessed my love to my childhood distribution of Linux that my father introduced me to so many years ago, but to which I hadn't been able mustering the courage to admit my true feelings, because things seemed comfortable the way they were: me observing Linux from afar, always dreaming of what could be if it were me with Linux, but never committing, because the prospect of a new relationship with Linux seemed uncertain and I didn't want to lose this image of the cool, perfectly efficient, capable, trustworthy, dependable and nice operating system I treasured in my heart since I was young.
But now I've done it, by installing a Linux distribution and formatting my Windows installation.

This new interface feeling is scary, dealing with the command line is something entirely new to me, but the more I spend my daily life in this way, I feel certain that Linux will continue to make me happy.

so proud of you guys.

ur welcome

Wait, that was the wrong image.

Can anyone help me with this ? I posted it just when the thread died.

avoids needing sudo, safer when less users

>having a root acount

>having a unlocked bootloader

Letting a little thing like that stop you.
sudo -s
su root

getting a segmentation fault on rtorrent. logs aren't really helping

is there anywhere i can get a tux keycap to replace the windows one? preferably a clear/rbg compatible one

lmgtfy.com/?q=tux keycap

>trying to look intelligent
>posting cuckle botnet link

>none backlight compatible
why do you think im asking here, you snide shit

>implying other search engines are worth anything

>complaining about google
>using Google captcha

>suck my cock dudes

Fedora debian or something else? ive used gnu linux enough to know the basics but im looking for an everyday os, might possibly dual boot windows 8

ohayo Sup Forums-san, I noticed that sometimes people post unrelated but interesting images along with their questions. can someone dump some of these pics? tia

>Ubuntu with Gnome
>want to disable touchpad
>go to settings
>go to "Mouse & Touchpad"
>has no touchpad sethtings
>there are no touchpad settings anywhere
( ._.)

At least 16.

induction is impossible

it's not impossible
it's just not guaranteed to be correct

how do you know that?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_induction

How do you know this article is accurate?

You would have to make a lot of assumptions based on just an image. And even then your answer would vary depending what you infer from the image. Does it have 4 side or 3 sides? How many dimensions? Is the inside hollow or filled? ad infinitum.

When you have pictures without file extention, some a jpg and some png, how do you rename them correctly?

THUMB ISNT A FINGER

[cititation needed]