What was your gateway distro Sup Forums? Mine, like most people's, was ubuntu

What was your gateway distro Sup Forums? Mine, like most people's, was ubuntu

Crunchbang

and like most people's, I went back to ubuntu after trying out other distros.

it just works

SimplyMEPIS
ubuntu wasn't a thing yet

Knoppix

>it just works
>has a fuckton of PPA's

i was so fucking done with windows that i tried to download mandrake to put it on floppy disks. using dialup i think i got half of them.

eventually started with ubuntu a few years later but distrohop for a while, like everybody else. been on Arch for around 10 years. now i have to switch because douchebags dropped i686 support.

To expound a bit, I had used Fedora Core 2 some but Knoppix was the holy shit this is awesome distribution. Ubuntu existed at the time, 2004 I think but it wasn't quite what it is today

mandrake

i first heard about ubuntu around when 6.06 came out
naturally it wasn't instantly well known to begin with

Linux Mint 8 or 9

Expound does not mean what I thought it did but forgot to look it up before posting

>i686 support
dude, just get a 64bit machine

there's nothing stopping someone from making their own i686 binary repos for arch
the arch devs just don't want to compile everything twice when so few people are still using i686

>has a fuckton of stuff I use
because I _wanted_ to do all the work myself

mint 14

BackTrack 2,sadly.

Same. I think the first one I've used was 12.04 or 12.10. Went through most distros (Ubuntu > Fedora > Debian > Arch) but went back to Ubuntu, because I'm a casual user and it just works.

arch

not as sad as mine.

My first distro was Red Hat 5.5, from a disk included with a "learn linux" book my dad had bought me when I begged for it, sometime in the late 90s. Probably 1999, because I think I was about 9 years old. I was fascinated. I spent a lot of frustrating time just trying to get my dial-up to work. I wanted to be a REAL 1337 |-|4x0r. Used linux ever since but never actually learned much about hacking.

Funny story, I gave up trying to hack after I told the sysadmin on a shell account server what a 1337 |-|4x0r I was and he joked "I guess I better call the FBI." Ten year old me freaked out and unplugged my computer for days.

Slackware in like 1996. It was wild. I met the dude who made it a few year later at a LinuxWorld Expo. I shook his hand and said that Slackware was pretty chill. Over, nice guy.

I then moved onto Red Hat after they were the first to implement package management. (Honestly, compiling everything from source gets old.) Then Debian, then FreeBSD, then CentOS, then Ubuntu, then back to Debian. Then Arch Linux for many years. Then back to Debian, which is where I'm currently staying.

Mine was also Ubuntu, but back in 2007 before that interface.

on a related note, anyone here paid for linux? or paid for something like a magazine /because/ it came with a copy of linux?
i once bought a copy of fedora core 5, as at the time i was still using dialup, and 2 dvd's worth of packages was enough of a convinience to be worth paying for

I have only used xubuntu. It works, why bother

Before 56K dial-up, it was a real pain in the ass to download ISOs. Also, CD-RWs were pricey and spotty back then.

So, I sometimes paid money to have a company ship me a burned CD. It was only like $3 or something quite reasonable. They were called Walnut Creek CDROM. That company was popular back in the day... they were even the official distributor of Slackware.

Mint for desktop.
CentOS for servers.

Libranet - it was debian with installers to help set up your graphics drivers. If I remember rightly it was a father and son team and the father sadly died. Was great at the time, I even legit bought a copy to support them.

Linux Mint, 2 weeks later I switched to Arch and have stayed with Arch since.

oh yea, i remember services like that
never did use them though, i got a cd writer pretty late, already had 56k at that point (and writers were reasonably reliable)

I wanted a CS server, and Debain was the gift I found.

I'm sorry

Pic related. I still remember the smell of the box, comfy as fuck. It was pretty good, but I moved to Slackware after a year.

mint

Got bored with it though since it added nothing.

I started off on FreeBSD moved to OpenBSD, but for work I now use centos or rhel depending on the client, but use OpenBSD in my personal stuff.

First distro I tried was Damn Small Linux on a liveCD. I was impressed, you could comfortably browse the web on firefox with it.

debian with i3wm, comfy af

Manjaro

Of course, everyone had to pay for it back in the 90s and early 00s. Even downloading just the kernel (which was something like 30mb) used to take hours.

It all started with SuSE 9.2. I think it was on the CD of a computer magazine.

Slackware, in late 90s

antergos. I'm on ubuntu now but thinking of a switch just for fun.

Mandriva

slackware no gui

Jesus. What x86 machine is worth using these days without x86_64??

SuSE.
I had already been using GNU+Linux for 3 or 4 years when the first ubuntu release came out.

I started out with Xubuntu. I had shitty hardware. I eventually moved to Crunchbang and that ended up being what truely got me into linux.

Slackware '97
I'm old

Ubuntu, but the first distro that really woke me up and made me start to learn how things work was CrunchBang.

I recommend switching to Void GNU/Linux. I used Arch for 2 or 3 years and Void seems to be a great alternative that lacks systemd.

>tfw every 64bit machine has Intel ME or AMD PSP

Yeah the gateway to nsa's favorite Linux kernel

Knoppix 3.2

why do we hate systemd?

meme

>Crunchbang
Now that's a distro I haven't seen in a long time. Is it dead? It was the go-to distro for ricefags

>not taking freedom/privacy seriously on the technology board
come on, man

It died, there are two successors. CrunchBang++ (unofficial, I believe), and Bunsen Labs (official). Haven't checked lately to make sure they're both still alive. My configs that I went on to use with Arch and Void are still largely based on configs from CrunchBang. It really was a nice distro to learn on.

Slax

fedora with compiz wobbly windows around 2006

I knew Linux was for me the moment I discovered wobbly windows.

I'm calling bullshit.

It's one single gateway for the destruction of your entire system.

Linux Mint was my very first distro, but the distro that turned me to using Linux full time was Xubuntu, and eventually Antergos.

I made a script that opens dict in a terminal and you type your word in. I hated typing in the dict -d gcide for some reason. It's my first script and ugly.

#!/bin/bash
# Dict Script

echo "enter your word"

read varname

dict -d gcide $varname
exec $SHELL

mint

Linuxlite.

Mint
It just works

mint

Unironically Backtrack 2 or smth. I obviously didn't use it as a main driver.

arch

not even joking
the installation takes ~10 commands and most of them are on script, so 2-3 commands

format the drive with cfdiks, run the script, reboot and boom ~5 min work with 10 mb/s netspeed

Windows XP

Elementary

Arch

Redhat
Simplymepis wasn't a thing yet

OpenSUSE

I used Ubuntu with LXDE on my first (shit) computer in middle school. pic= my feelings towards it now.

I currently use Debian as my main OS after distro hopping throughout high school.

Started with Debian, eventually end up in FreeBSD.

Unironically Arch. People said the install was hard, so I did it just to see if I could. The install guide made it easy af and I felt like I was lied to

Puppy linux.
I asked my father to fix the beat up antediluvian vaio laptop that was his before it ended up being mine because it was so shit he wanted nothing to do with it. He tried xubuntu at first but even that was too hard on the poor machine.

TempleOS

Ubuntu, then Debian, then Kubuntu, then Debian, then Windows, then Debian, and as of about two months ago Fedora, and overall I'm happy with the switch.

Linux for plebians.

Yes, back then canonical still had integrity.
Silly tripfag.

Solaris at university then Mint at home.

Bash on Windows 10

ubuntu

i think they meant hardcore

ubuntu > ten different distros over five years > return to ubuntu where life is comfy

Gutsy was my first Linux love

Crunchbang followed by Manjaro. Beautiful distros. Now I'm rockin' Antergos and I'm probably gonna go full Arch soon.

Spread too thin

Arch, like probably lots of others, I started elsewhere, but picking up Arch is the moment I'd say when I really got hooked, and started diving deeper into this shit

Ubuntu Hardy Heron. Loved everything about it but was a noob and could not figure out how to get that fucking Broadcom wi-fi shit to work...Went back to Windows and years later intalled Xubuntu 14.04 on an old notebook and was blown away. Have been using Xubuntu/Arch ever since...

>not compiling from source

Started with Lubuntu on an old piece of shit, came back to Xubuntu when I started uni.

the first distro I really used and installed myself was fedora
I stuck with that for a while before jumping to arch, finding the community arse and then installing Gentoo.
I then found I needed a specific compiler which only has a .deb associated with it so I then installed kde Neon

Here's my distrohopping history
Ubuntu > Mint > Kubuntu > Ubuntu > ZorinOS > KDE Neon > Ubuntu > ZorinOS Lite

I stopped at Lite because it's UI is great and XFCE is honestly the best DE I've used. It's not as difficult to customize as Unity/GNOME and it's much lighter. I did like KDE but my only experience with it was the unstable mess of the KDE Neon's (plasma) "stable" branch which still crashed often.

I'm currently thinking of moving to a more up-to-date distro or update my kernel since the current one sucks for my AMD GPU.

I've also tried Ubuntu MATE, Solus, Fedora, Manjaro, Lubuntu and Linux Lite, but haven't used them for more than a day.
Fedora had the best hardware support for my PC (probably because of more recent kernel/drivers, or Wayland). the only reason I didn't stick with it was because
1. Most normie software is compiled for debian and I can't be spoonfed with muh games
2. After the installation it booted me into the GNOME desktop and greeted me with a "GNOME has crashed" window. Everything worked fine, but even a silent crash after installation is discouraging.

They don't, consumer core 2 and pentium 4 systems would be fine

Crunchbang++ until I started doing development and realised stable Debian has super outdated packages.

Moved to archbang - now I have a neckbeard, weigh 200 pounds, and consume doritos with mountain dew.