Super quick French translation

Guys, help me out here. What the fuck are "les panneaux de la victoria", in the context of,

"Les armes de Behanzin peintes sur les panneaux de la victoria que lui avaient donnée les Anglais."

(from commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Armes_de_Behanzin.jpg)

So it's "The Coat of Arms of Behanzin painted on the (victory/Queen Victoria's?/Victoria(ship/fort name)) (panels) which were given to the English."

Did I get the rest of the translation good at least? Pic related -- it's the fountainhead of French cinema.

bump.

I could really use a hand here Sup Forums -- even a guess/elimination from a native French speaker would help.

>sur les panneaux de la victoria

>On the panels of the Victoria

Probably about a ship i'd say

Rest of the translation is on point

Wait it's not which were given to the English."
but it's which were given BY the English

THANK YOU! MERCI! Je veux sucer votre bite et/ou lécher la chatte.

Yez helo

the panels of the victoria, the victoria was an horse tracted car offered to that guy(behanzin) by the english.

gotta leav u, got anozer phon cal

Yeah I was wavering on that, but chopped it up to being old and my French sucking. Is dropping the preposition in the passive voice like that common, or standard for that verb that I forgot about? (I was naively thinking the passive would be "que lui avaient donnée *par* les Anglais." I probably sound stupid.)

Lol it was given to the French (or at least I think it did) who fucked up Benhanzin in the Scramble For Africa.

"lui" implies indirect object, basically "to him/her/it" or "at him/her/it"

Je lui donne une pomme = I give him/her/it an apple.
Je le donne. = I give him/her/it [as in, giving something away, for example "I give it to my friend"="Je le donne à mon ami."].
Je le lui donne. = I give it to him/her/it.
La pomme que lui a donné Jean est belle. = La pomme que Jean lui a donné est belle. = The apple that John gave to him/her/it is nice.

forgot pic

No, the english gave it to him, prolly as a diplomatic "gift". Incidentally he attacked us and gave us a cassus belli to conquer his shithole.

Is that interpreted by the translation, by a source, or from historical context?

In this case I was confused not from "lui", but from the passive "avaient donnée les Anglais", which in English always requires the preposition "by" and I *thought* uses "par" in standard French as well, at least in a lot of constructions. Clearly I'm terribly wrong on the last point and need to pay more attention when listening/reading.

you can also construct it using "par"

>[...] les panneaux de la Victoria qui lui avaient été donnés par les Anglais.

However, as you can see it's actually simpler to use "lui"

>Which in English always requires the preposition "by"
The difference is that in English the pronoun never changes, whether it's "give him" as in giving the person away, or "give him" as in "give TO him". While this allows for great simplicity, as is often the case in languages, simplicity forces you to compensate by other means. In English, you need to specificy whether using words such as "by".

However, when you have different inflections based on grammatical role, it allows you to omit little details, and be more flexible with structure.

Another good example, albeit off-topic, is with a language like German. Sure, you have plenty of different inflections of der/die/das ("the") to remember. However, using these inflections allows you to have more flexibility. So, for example, in German the two following sentences mean the same thing: "Der Mann isst den Fisch." and "Den Fisch isst der Mann.", whereas in English the grammatical simplicity forces you to stick to a single word order because "the" doesn't actually tell you whether it's a subject or an object, unlike der/den in German.

it's about the coat of arm of a guy, he was the king of some african kingdom, who later got his clay turned into a french protectorate.

wew

fail

it is not a fail, I actually thought the get already happened and I wanted to see who got it

Oh crap, right, duh, "etre V(pp)", *that's* the passive. Ok then, so I really wasn't thinking at all. Then if I just changed "que" to "qui", like " qui lui avaient donnée les Anglais", it would be "Those who gave the English to them", right?

I'm now starting to appreciate all the shit I got from my French teacher about not being lazy with this shit.

Aright fine, I guess "lui" can only possibly refer to Behanzin himself.

>"Those who gave the English to them"
to HIM (or her or it). Them would be "leur" instead

if you specifically want to say "those", then it's "ceux"

Examples below:

>Ceux qui lui avaient donné les Anglais.
Those who gave him/her/it the English.

>Eux, qui leur avaient donné les Anglais.
They/Them, who had given them the English. [not a complete sentence in itself obviously]

>La personne qui lui a donné les Anglais.
The person who gave him/her/it the English.

also, a further example for clarification, just in case (and keep in mind "le a" and "la a" both become "l'a")

>La personne qui lui donne les Anglais.
The person who gives him/her/it the English.

>La personne qui le donne.
The person who gives it [masculine].

>La personne que lui donne les Anglais.
The person that the English give TO him/her/it.

Thanks for all your help user. Way better than waiting a week for wikifags to answer.

All right, so I was on the train home and I thought "what the hell" and asked some Haitians, reading them the sentence (note they wouldn't have seen the uppercase/lowercase difference). Without blinking they said "It's 'victoire', 'victory', 'victoria', same thing, in the same way." So I ask again what "panneaux de la victoria" would be, and they suggest like an award/gift/trophy.

And if you think about it, for an image caption using movable type, an uppercase->lowercase typo would be pretty fucking rare. Plus, why would you use paint to put a Coat of Arms on a ship or major vehicle, and why would you put a foreign CoA on it, and why would you then strip the bare panelling off as a gift?

Yeah, I'm going with the Haitians on this one. (Keep in mind they speak fluent French -- they study starting in grade 3 iirc). Still, thanks for all the help -- every misstep is enlightening.