/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Aesthetic Edition
Previous thread: →

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P SERIES, HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), and Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-T440p-Core-i7-4600m-2-9-GHZ-8GB-RAM-500GB-HD-1600x900-Win-7-pro-/253075517306?hash=item3aec79ef7a:g:qyMAAOSwXetZSFi3
thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_reduce_power_consumption
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
ebay.co.uk/usr/nhx_it_brokers?_trksid=p2047675.l2559)
ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=thinkpad t60&_ssn=nhx_it_brokers&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xthinkpad.TRS0&_nkw=thinkpad&_sacat=0
ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X201-Core-i5-2-40Ghz-4GB-160GB-spares-repair-Cracked-screen-Z1-/352059492661?hash=item51f8618935:g:je4AAOSwR29ZGxI2
laptopscreen.com/i/index.php?page=products&part_number=LP125WH2(SL)(B3)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are these keyboards all interchangeable?
L430 T430 T430S X230 W530 T530
Asking because I want to order one from China and I've never owned a T series so I don't know if the seller is lying or not. That's a really excellent feature if true that you can take the keyboard from a T430/T530/W530 and drop it straight into an X230.

Arw is the new thinkpads not waterproof? I poured a basket of water over my t470 and it shut off and let out some of that blue smoke... funky smell. I tried turning it on and it wont come on. How to dry it?

So how did you guys modify your ThinkPad to make it feel more like the laptop you've always wamted?

>X230
>installed 16GB RAM because fuck it
>installed SATA and mSATA SSD
>disconnected the touchpad from the board and then glued it in place so it doesn't click anymore

I'd love to be able to 3D print a custom touchpadless palm rest one day

you idiot. electronic devices are powered by blue smoke. when it comes out they're broken.

Morning everyone

>tfw t470p arriving some point this week
Thank god for that IBM friends deal

I thought touchpadless palmrests existed or am I thinking of the X200/X210. I did most of that too but imo glueing the touchpad is unnecessary. You never actually come in contact with the touchpad if your fingers never leave homerow.

I've always accidentally clicked the touchpad when I was using the trackpoint. I had it disabled so it didn't register the click but it was fucking annoying because the X230 touchpad feels cheap as fuck.

Since xx20 series there is no touchpadless option anymore

I see. That said it's still at the size where you shouldn't be touching it by accident. This all went out the window xx40 onwards iirc when they introduced those fuck huge touchpads.

I thought it would be cool, but that ThinkPad 555BJ is just a rebranded Canon NoteJet, which is manufactured by Acer. The hinge eats itself and it would be almost impossible to find one that isn't damaged.

Muh dick.

I'm very happy c:

>tfw she's out there rn and looks exactly the same because she's a jap
Hold me lads.

[spoiler]yes[/spoiler]

>be me
>been Apple Fanboy since forever
>going to college
>need good laptop
>go to Sup Forums
>lurk because newfag
>hear about thinkpads
>repairable
>inexpensive
>heavy duty
>businesses class
>utilitarian
>suddenly converted
>so much x220 circlejerking
>suddenly want
>see if available locally
>no thinkpad x220s
>cry
>suddenly feel being drawn to macbooks
>resisting urge
>don't want to turn gay again

Pls help. Wat do.

Just buy what you have in hand.
Thinkpads aren't that good as shilled here, and macbooks aren't that terrible.
Or search elitebooks or dell latitudes.

Well if you want maximum ThinkPad quality you're out of luck because few of the old IBM models are usable as a daily driver today.

If you can't get an X220 but you want 12" either get an X200 for muh freedom or an X230 for a more modern approach.
If you're OK with 14" get a T400 for muh freedom or a T430 if you want int modern.
The T420 is OK too but both the 1366x768 and the 1600x900 screen are dog shit even by ThinkPad standards.

T440P

>swapped trackpad for T450 one and then swapped back because I'm a filthy Macbook refugee and I prefer the size of the original
>hard drive caddy in drive bay, 500GB HDD
>250GB SSD in original bay
>new 9 cell to replace old 6 cell, 2h to 6h battery life doing fairly intensive workloads
>spent half an hour cleaning it

Should I bite the bullet on this? I have room for upgrades if needed.

>recent-ish model
>strong core
>win 7 pro preinstalled

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-T440p-Core-i7-4600m-2-9-GHZ-8GB-RAM-500GB-HD-1600x900-Win-7-pro-/253075517306?hash=item3aec79ef7a:g:qyMAAOSwXetZSFi3

Just got a X220, it's currently running Debian 9, do I need tweaking to get the best experience or it just works?

usually only within the same model. the sizes changes slightly between them

posted too fast; not no mention the smaller touchpad in the x series..
So no, they aren't

what is the maximum would you pay for x220 tablet with i7 and IPS screen?

it should just werk
thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_reduce_power_consumption
if you're interested in power management

ATTENTION: daily reminder to all posters:
if you encounter someone calling himself "xsauc" or "james" immediately disregard and hide his posts. "James" aka "xsauc" is a mentally ill transgender pedophile who is very unpredictable and dangerous.

Thank you for your cooperation,
~GNU/Police

At least the T W X series should be
You mean line up? Right?
>touchpad
>keyboard
Please read before replying

>being this fucking new
Lurk more faggot

elaborate more how am I being "new" for warning people about this attention whoring tripfag cancer?

forgot pic
remind yourself this picture everytime you respond to this mentally retarded pedophile.

Because you're here """""""""""warning"""""""""" about something literally something everyone and their thinkpad knows about

Enjoy being so fucking new faggot
Maybe try shitposting about Intel me too

Wow, why are you so mad? Does it hurt that badly after disabling tripcode?
Or is just split personality kicking in?

how fucking new
it's a shitty meme
next you will tell me you never saw the 'beware of daiz' posts

Personally I feel extremely uncomfortable knowing this attention whoring thing is posting here.

“This intensely felt sense of being transgendered constitutes a mental disorder in two respects. The first is that the idea of sex misalignment is simply mistaken – it does not correspond with physical reality. The second is that it can lead to grim psychological outcomes.”

DELET THIS

Just bought a japanese keyboard for my memepad since it was cheaper than my local layout and both have the comfy big enter key anyway, am i going to become a weeb?

the spacebar and backspace are fucking tiny holy shit

Just got a t520 with a 250gb ssd and a 1080 screen for $160, did I get a good deal?

Fuck Japanese keyboards, t. living in Japan. They're so fucking shit they're meant for little chinks with baby hands. And don't even get me started on the buttons that switch from English to Japanese but are only ONE WAY. For some reason they don't understand the concept of "toggle".

This is why tpg is such a shithole these days.
Actually it's possible to write a fucking script that will contaminate every single tpg with randomly generated questions
"I got XXXX with YYYY for ZZZZ. Did I do good? Am I a good boy?"

Fucking off yourself and read OPs post, you shitstain.

Can i even remap those keys to something else like opening a Terminal window or something? I won't be using the Japanese input method in the OS anyway and the rest of the keys is the same as my native layout aside from the extra keys.

Probably.

>but are only ONE WAY
That sounds kinda nice. If you press that button, you always know which layout you switched to. You don't always know that with a toggle, without testing or visual feedback. Sometimes you press that key by accident, or you wake the computer from suspend and you don't really know which layout was last used.

>are only ONE WAY
does that mean you're switching to Japanese and then it stays that way forever and you have to buy a new keyboard?

No, it means you have to go to the IME on your desktop and click back into latin mode.

I'm looking to buy a laptop for InfoSec kinda stuff, Pentesting, writing reports, running VM's, and occasional gaming(Just CS:GO mostly). Should I get a W or P series? or just stick with T?

so you have to buy a new computer because that shit never works the way you want it to

I've asked this multiple times and never gotten a response, so hopefully this pic will help

Has anyone with a nvidia gpu thinkpad (t430 for example) tried out overclocking the display through nvidias custom resolution utility? Other laptops seems to be able to hit really high hz.

I have a t430 and CSGO and dota run ok. Dota is almost always 60 but CS can drop into the 40s sometimes. This is with the integrated graphics, with the nvidia dedicated I'd expect both would be solid 60 at above minimum.

>want to replace the wifi card in my x220
>the screw keeping the card in place has been srewed in with inhuman strength
>can't get it out no matter how hard I force it
This is frustrating.

Did I do well?
>i5 3320M
>4Gb RAM
>1600x900 screen (intel hd graphics)
>500Gb 7200rpm
>240€
In very good condition. I also have an 256Gb SSD from my old laptop that I can put into the drive bay.

Keep in mind that I needed a laptop immediately as I broke the screen on my latitude.

What deal. Care to share?

Absolutely disgusting.

The one in the OP pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Got an msata SSD for my x220. Anything special I need to do in the BIOS or after a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04 to make sure its being utilized properly and maximize its lifetime?

Just use it and don't worry about it. Options like Discard and such is probably used by default anyways.

Thanx!!!
>mfw t570 for 670$

Okay. Its my first SSD so I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything special I had to do. I heard things about swap partitions being bad for SSDs and stuff like that

I'm looking at used Thinkpads from a particular seller (ebay.co.uk/usr/nhx_it_brokers?_trksid=p2047675.l2559) on Ebay and they have different "grades" (F1, F5, V7, C3, etc.) but it's not immediately clear to me what they signify.

All their Thinkpads:
ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=thinkpad t60&_ssn=nhx_it_brokers&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xthinkpad.TRS0&_nkw=thinkpad&_sacat=0

I would expect A1 to be best and Z9 to be worst but the description for a V2 ("Complete, no software installed. Please see main item description below for full information.") seems to be better than for a C3 ("Complete, no software installed. Used, cosmetically graded - will have one or more of the following: Chip/Scratched case, Hinge play, generally grubby, 1/2 missing/worn keys, wifi switch missing. Please see main item description below for full information.").

Maybe Z is the best? But then this Z1 has a fucked screen: ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X201-Core-i5-2-40Ghz-4GB-160GB-spares-repair-Cracked-screen-Z1-/352059492661?hash=item51f8618935:g:je4AAOSwR29ZGxI2

Any ideas?

How many years can a thinkpad generally last for?

SSD do wear leveling, so using it shouldn't ruin it. I've seen people recommend disabling the journal and logging too, but that stuff seems too silly. I think it is safe to just use the SSD like you would a normal HDD for the most part.

yeah i think I'll go with the T series

I purchased the laptop that I wanted instead of buying something else and trying to pimp it.

Never, as long as there are Ali express exist.

Why am I having problems installing Windows XP on a x220?

Why haven't you librebooted your ThinkPad, /tpg/?

Because I use a T60 and an X40, there is literally no need to.

>no Thunderbolt 3
Enjoy your cucked machine.

>T440p for $150

BOI

Because I want the option of using a nonfree operating system.

the x220 isn't supported yet.

I'm not retarded

Ive been fucked by two belgian ladies holyshit.
so I had this t460s listing called asked her all about it and if it were her pics. after 28 euros of traveling towards her (mnot talking about costs of going home) she had a t520 so Iwas mad and left after a small discussion went to my aunts house to get a t410 I had delivered there just to find out it had half the ram as promised and the scroll button was broken fuck this country I am done

For a budget of say $500 USD what model of ThinkPad or Dell Latitude would have the best color reproduction and/or highest resolution? Looking to do Photo-work, schoolwork and some CAD in it (CAD is nothing too demanding). Thanks.

>becuase I use a librebootable machine
honesty that excuse is bad just say that you dont care about it

>x40
Is it useful in this day and age? The resolution is horrible.

LENOVO IdeaPad 110 yes or no?

>T440p $150
>R400 $150
kek

>CAD is nothing too demanding
For a pleb perhaps. I have several projects that two 2016 Quadros slow to sub 15 FPS when moving the perspective in SolidWorks.

Well considering I work for a bank contractor, the most demanding thing i'll run are floor plans for homes with materials lists, but yes CAD is a compute killer. misphrased it.

yes
very good choice f@m

yeah boi... get that t440p for $150 buckaroo. also once you go gay you can't go back... the thinkpad will only provide you with a temporary solution lulz

I need to get a x200 or x200t first boi. i am in the process of hackintoshing the x220. waitin on the wifi card.

So you can transplant the t440p/s FHD sceeen to the t430[s]. But what about the touchscreen capability?

What's the best site to get ips replacements for a x220 from? I was looking here laptopscreen.com/i/index.php?page=products&part_number=LP125WH2(SL)(B3) but I don't know if they're good.

>don't want to turn gay again

I don't think you should be buying a thinkpad...

physically you might be able to, but the screen wont work since the t430 is lvds and the t440s are edp

anyone tried one of those frankenpad? 51nb stuff. thought about it, but waiting for retro

>HE DOESN'T

>GAME

>ON HIS

>THINKPAD

You can get edp to lvds converters. Very hard to come by, but possible.

What's the difference between T4xx vs T5xx Thinkpads?

I read something about Extreme Edition CPUs, but I don't understand what that means...
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think I should be looking at buying a T430 over a T510 if I don't mind the chiclet type keys

14" vs 15.6"

Are there skins for these things? Wanted to pick one up instead of having to paint my case. I have a T540p if that's any help.

I like the idea of socketed cpu's, with the t440p being the latest capable model.

But I also like compactness, and would prefer to get an s model.

In theory, shouldn't I just be able to get a new motherboard down the line should I ever want to upgrade the cpu?
Is there anything wrong with this plan?