/sqt/

Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

hackertyper.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=4GNRzwfP7RE
youtube.com/watch?v=_bzj9ujUrQM
youtube.com/watch?v=zgs9g-Q-Zm8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

From which blacked.com episode is this again?

that one where she gets fucked

Nice

Xena warrior princess (tv series)

theres a full time job as a "sales consultant" at a computer shop thats an hour (by bike) away from me. currently a neet and living at home, basically sedentary. should i apply? all the requirements seem to be knowledge of current pc parts, making computer builds and troubleshooting. it also says certs and microsoft certs help. its really unnerving for me when i apply for any job, since even entry level reject me,and the only ones that have hired me in the past have been exploitative or absolutely caustic work environments

So my mic & headphones have been behaving weird so I bought a cheap USB sound card just to rule out my motherboard, however, when I connect it to the USB port and plug in the jacks there's no audio output at all. I verified that the USB card got recognized and when I play sounds the green bars for output volume keep moving but I can't hear anything, how do I troubleshoot it?
Win7 btw.

I got a bunch of mp3 files I downloaded from youtube, but their names follow "album - track # - song title"
Can I use the terminal to remove the first two aspects of each of their names, leaving only the title?

Nevermind, I'm a dumbass and had to push the jacks in harder, it's just a cheap piece of clusmy plastic I was afraid I'd break it. Now onto the white noise issue..

>should i apply?

Absolutely. Worst is rejection and thats nothing. If it wont work out be it.

wtf is this thing for?

You hang the mouse cable on it so it doesn't limit you on your desk, pretty useless though since after you use your mouse for a bit the cable will shape up nicely anyway.

it says i need police clearance, but its going to take 3-5 days to get. is this something that actually matters.

holds the cord, useless item

It's useful for when your mouse cable is located behind and under your desk, so then it would reduce pulling.

Should I do anything about this? If so what?

These numbers don't matter.
Back up your data.

It would appear that you're a faggot. You should neck yourself.

Honest response.
Those errors incicate that the HDD marked a sector as suspicious because it could not recover the data from it (even with error correcting techniques) and if it cat read it well in further attempts it will be marked to relocation.

What to know if there is something to do about it? Run spinrite on level 2 (verifies that the disk is readable) to locate the sector and then run in on level 4 (reads contents, writes the -binary-inverted content, reads again, wirites original content again) on the area near to that sector.
I had watched spinrite recovering some of those pending sectors

what's the easiest way to move windows to a SSD without reinstalling Windows?

I'm installing it for a friend and he doesn't really want to do a new install

that's not technology related

clone it, ie clonezilla

This happens to me when I connect something to the usb ports, try disconnecting all usb devices and see if the noise disappears

I want a cheap (200-400€) laptop that doesn't heat up too much with light use and that is completely fanless. Something I could sleep close to. Can you suggest something?

could be drivers, most USB headsets dont have drivers tho so Windows takes care of this:
go to device manager and find the specific headset under the USB controllers, right click it and uninstall, after thats done open the Action dropdown menu and select Scan for Hardware changes, after that you select Update Driver Software. See if that solves it

images designed to get replies on Sup Forums is technically related though

>clone it
ok
>ie clonezilla
LOL no! Come on mate, I mean no disrespect to but if he/she asked a question in here ot means some level of knowledge lacking.
Im not saying that clonezilla is bad (it isnt) but last time I checked it remains extremely unfliendly towards noobs and even some "seasoned" IT pros
There are similar tools like Macrium reflect and Paragon backup & recovery free that have friendlier interfaces.

So, you need to make sure that your windows OS partition is the same size of the SSD. Why? because most programs wont let you put a, lets say, 250GB partition on a 200GB drive, at least no without passing some hurdles first.
Most computers, specially preassembled computers (dell, lenovo, acer, etc) comes with a sigle partition destined to OS and user data. It makes THEIR work easier but in cases like this could bring problems when you want to backup your files and not all the damn disk or with migrations like your case.
Some advice, DONT di shit to your HDD until you are perfectly sure that all is running well. If you feel that the migration process is too troublesome, ask some IT guy to do it for yourself.

Since Google home for RPI has about 0 support, I want to create a script that I can activate with the sdk.

Any tips on how to do this? It doesn't seem to directly support local files

alright thanks

pc needs to turn on then off then on for monitor to detect signal. hdmi

How can I easily transfer files from my phone to my computer and vise versa without using cloud storage software?

I'm trying to use as little google products as possible and drive and gmail are all I use now.

A USB cable

How easy do you guys think it would be to learn C/C++ by someone who is at intermediate level at Visual basic?

FTP or

forget visual basic, its shit for transition. c++ or c? there extremely different and neither is a good languarge as a first. if you did however c++ first because it has more high level features. either way both languages require you to learn a lot more about how a computer works if you want to use then effectively. the creator of c++ has a book called the c++ programming language. read it. subsidise it with info relevant to your field.

is this dangerous? is there an easy DYI way to fix it or should i just buy a new one?

duct tape

B U M P

how do i make my friends think i gentoo?
Can't find a gui for installation

hackertyper.com/

I have a long network cable dragged up from a router on the lower floor, but now I need more than one but there are no more ports available. Do I buy a switch or a hub whatever it's called? Or can I just buy a new router and use that as a switch? How does this work?

Googling "shell script trim filename" gave like 30 ways to do this

I like the appearance of a certain girl but her personality is intolerable. Can I somehow clone her body and put in a different personality?

Unmanaged switch is enough for the task.

An ethernet switch.
You can pick up a gigabit switch with 8 ports for under $20

Thanks a bunch.

infact, unless you're running network attached storage or have internet speeds faster than 100Mb/s, a 100Mb switch would do the job for even cheaper but for future proofing purposes, get a gigabit switch with at least 8 ports

enjoy your housefires

what's the difference between a thinkpad and a regular laptop?

how do i install only the OS and a few on the SSD but keep the rest in my HDD?

and a few progams*

Tried it but the noise is still there.

Also tried this one and that didn't help however I found this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=4GNRzwfP7RE

I'm gonna disassemble it later and see if that's the case in this one maybe.

You can find used Thinkpads in very good condition for cheap
The build quality is arguably the best you can find in a laptop today
They're very resistant and rugged. A drop from your table won't dent it or break the screen
There is lots of spare parts for them out there meaning if you do manage to break something
There is lots of Linux support if you're into that sort of stuff

if it's a new build, just select the SSD as the install device, then when you install programs, select either the SSD or HDD
It's VERY easy to do. Windows will hold your hand though it. When it comes to installing it, you will know which one is which because it will say one drive is 250GB (or whatever capacity your SSD is) and one will be 2TB (or whatever your HDD capacity is)

If you want, when you come to a screen like this, take a picture of it and post it here if you don't know which drive is which

one is a laptop the other is a toplap

>You can find used Thinkpads in very good condition for cheap
>The build quality is arguably the best you can find in a laptop today
>They're very resistant and rugged. A drop from your table won't dent it or break the screen
>There is lots of spare parts for them out there meaning if you do manage to break something
>There is lots of Linux support if you're into that sort of stuff
only old thinkpad, new ones are all built poorly with flimsy parts.

When you install windows, install it on the smaller drive. When you go to install programs change the C in the install path to a D and they will be installed to the D drive, aka your HDD. Also lookup how to change the location of your downloads/pictures/documents folder to the HDD, its pretty easy

LOL, well played. made my day

but some progams don't give us the choice to install in D or C

make the hdd and extension of c and point all programs to a programmes folder on the hdd.

the linux support is getting worse tho. the gpu driver crashes and says something about a timeout every time i reboot/shutdown/logout. not really a problem but it makes doing those things much slower because i have to wait for the timeout.

Do you have an example?

give me 3 examples. theyre probably tiny anyway

I would suggest buy a new one unless if you are too plebeian to do so, in which case just strip the insulation back, resolder, and wrap with electrical tape.

that only carries 5 volts and maybe 2 or 3 amps at most depending on what device its charging, so its not extremely dangerous to fix or anything

>but some progams don't give us the choice to install in D or C
of course this is true user, the win10 spyware ALWAYS goes on drive C, but im pretty sure the discussion is about non-microsoft spyware

>youtube.com/watch?v=_bzj9ujUrQM
>youtube.com/watch?v=zgs9g-Q-Zm8

i think it was some drivers of my motherboard

so tiny programmes? it doesnt matter if some stuff is on c. you can also unpack the installer occasionally and do a custom install

They're system drivers, they need to go on your OS drive

Alright so one folder on my external hard drive won't open. It says 'The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.' Everything else on it appears to work fine and can be opened. I usually back up my stuff on another external every 2 months or so and was planning to at the end of this month, so the files (which are only ~3 weeks old) are lost for now. I've googled and I saw some suggestions to use chkdsk. I guess I'm wondering what caused this, can they be recovered, will this happen to other files, and is the drive going to give out soon?

I know you hate tech support fags, but /wsr/ sucks. I apologize in advance.

HDMI can be like that sometimes, always start your monitor before you start your computer.

Where can I find information about how much survelliance we are under.
How can I avoid it?
Is Telegram libre? How can I know whether it is or not?

anyone knows how much storage space the encrypted wikileaks shit requires?

want to download it all for retention purposes but need to buy more storage i think

ill summarise. all modern compiters have hardware backdoors that cant be disabled (includes phones)
the entire us internet is stored on a data facility
5 eyes, 14 eyes, prism and nsa know everything and spy on other nations so that they dont break the law.
secueity cameras are everywhere (obviously)
all data on social media is mined and made into profiles of the users, sold onward
anonymous data can be linked to users with high accuracy
almost everything has an exploit and each time theres a gov leak cyber attacks follow

telegram is open source, read their peivacy policy.

So how can avoid this tracking and how bad it is?
Generally I am not worried but it is wrong.
>MUH RIGHTS

Also thanks!
How rude of me...

Just unplugged SATA hard drive on my HP thin client, plugged in a different bootable hard drive into the same port, then plugged the original drive into the second port. Booted up into the new drive ok. Unplugged, then restarted, but crashed before Windows logon screen (on old drive). Restarted again, no display output so no BIOS screen, and every fan in the computer immediately ramped up to max speed -- it's very loud, and still going. WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO? HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?

>Where can I find information about how much survelliance we are under.
Wikileaks, for starters

>How can I avoid it?
you really cant
libre GNU+Linux, libreboot, openrc, VPN, encryption, i2p/ipfs/freenet/tor, dismantle your identifiable online presence (personal social media, youtube, gmail, etc), PGP, physically disable cameras and microphones on your devices and get a "dumbphone", ublock origin, umatrix, only visit ssl/tls supported sites
dont randomly spoof your browser fingerprint as its more identifiable than not spoofing at all
if you know how to, you can spoof it to a "common fingerprint" as the fingerprint is hardware based (i think)

also it should be mentioned that excessive avoidance will raise more eyebrows than regular usage
hiding in plain sight is a really good strategy

>Is Telegram libre? How can I know whether it is or not?
telegram is not libre, client code contains binary blobs and is sometimes pushed later
server is proprietary

Mostly just by using trusted open source utilities. Look up privacytools.io. they have a pretty list of alternatives for more privacy.

i just said how bad it is. even using Sup Forums is bad (hiroyuki sold 2ch data to ad companies). is it wrong? its your data do what you want with it. surveillance is converging towards totalitarianism pretty quickly honesly. on the data side, the state restrixts what you can do, not necessarily illegal activities but any suspicious behaviours too. ad data is also used by private companies like insurers who can jack up prices based on all sorts of things. then data leaks can also make this all public. imagine if someone is after you and they now have all you habitual data, address and so forth

Just restarted again and same thing happened -- seems fine, but fans slowly speed up and up until what feels like beyond max rpm and noise. ://

two question

- how do I make thinderbird ignore certain accounts when checking for mail
getting fucked over by openmailbox left me with no choice but to switch mail providers but I want to keep my old inbox in thunderbird for convenience but even though I disabled automatic inbox checks whenever I use the option to check all accounts I still have to click through error messages for former openmailbox accounts
is there a way to have them and don't have them active?

-need a decent email provider that isn't google, kgb spying or chinks

fimgerprint os os based usually.
server side being proprietary shouldn't matter

Can I associate two gpus of the same model but different manufactures?
For example
Gtx 1070 asus with gtx 1070 gigabyte?
Also, can I associate different models?

and this is what i mean with the timeout.

------------[ cut here ]------------
WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 1265 at ../drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c:14240 intel_atomic_commit_tail+0xe87/0xe90 [i915]
pipe A vblank wait timed out
: Modules linked in: dm_mod ccm af_packet nf_log_ipv6 fuse xt_comment nf_log_ipv4 nf_log_common xt_LOG xt_limit nfnetlink_cthelper nfnetl
: thinkpad_acpi aes_x86_64 crypto_simd glue_helper cryptd snd_timer snd pcspkr joydev i2c_i801 lpc_ich rfkill ac battery soundcore shpch
: CPU: 0 PID: 1265 Comm: X Not tainted 4.11.8-2-default #1
: LENOVO 4291FN8/4291FN8, BIOS 8DET72WW (1.42 ) 02/18/2016
: Call Trace:
: dump_stack+0x5c/0x78
: __warn+0xbe/0xe0
: warn_slowpath_fmt+0x4b/0x60
: intel_atomic_commit_tail+0xe87/0xe90 [i915]
: ? finish_wait+0x80/0x80
: intel_atomic_commit+0x371/0x440 [i915]
: restore_fbdev_mode+0x223/0x280 [drm_kms_helper]
: drm_fb_helper_restore_fbdev_mode_unlocked+0x29/0x70 [drm_kms_helper]
: drm_fb_helper_set_par+0x29/0x50 [drm_kms_helper]
: intel_fbdev_set_par+0x13/0x60 [i915]
: fb_set_var+0x160/0x3c0
: ? xfs_btree_log_block+0x68/0xc0 [xfs]
: fbcon_blank+0x2c1/0x2e0
: do_unblank_screen+0x9d/0x190
: vt_ioctl+0x4b7/0x1190
: ? reuse_swap_page+0x2f/0x100
: tty_ioctl+0x20f/0xc00
: ? __handle_mm_fault+0x85b/0xfb0
: ? vga_arb_release+0xe1/0x130
: ? security_file_free+0x20/0x30
: ? dput.part.25+0xc1/0x240
: do_vfs_ioctl+0x8d/0x5d0
: ? mntput_no_expire+0x11/0x1a0
: ? __fget+0x71/0xc0
: SyS_ioctl+0x74/0x80
: entry_SYSCALL_64_fastpath+0x1e/0xad
---[ end trace b66c4dbc8c158c97 ]---

os and hardware i believe i've read

>server side being proprietary shouldn't matter
yes it does
as its closed source as well
i would avoid telegram for the reason of the closed source server and the binary blobs in the client
Riot might be a better option but im hesitant on the fact that its based on webrtc
irc through i2p is probably the best choice either way

>different manufactures
Yes.

>different models
Only AMD/ATI. Not nVidia.

>that its based on webrtc
matrix is based on webrct i mean, which riot uses
however i dont think matrix, synapse, or riot has any obscured parts, i could be wrong though

they're still the best built laptops
**50 was the worst they got, and they're getting better now

Sorry for the late response. Is my data damaged yet or is it still good?

and it has been doing this since 4.6 and they still havent fixed it.

dubious and subjective claim. the e series is pure garbage and t dropped the ball. x isnt amazing either,or wasnt at least.

I need to stream or embed an audio file from either GDrive or Dropbox on Tumblr (yes, I know) and I can't get it to work. Any help would be appreciated.

FOSS alternative to Google Keep?

pen & paper

RedNotebook

trapper keeper

can somebody tell me what these are.
I see them everywhere

fembot

Is there an app that tell me if my phone battery is damaged?

ampere

female variant of wojak/feels guy meme aka.
>tfw no bf

ARM Chromebooks (with Chrome OS replaced with gahnoo+linux) maybe?