/pcbg/ PC Building General - slut edition

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0VE-000W-00007
skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gehatx
ebay.com/itm/Delid-Die-Guard-Delid-Relid-Delidding-Kabylake-Skylake-6-7TH-CPU-DIE-protector-/232427111403?hash=item361dbc43eb:g:GtgAAOSwp1dZevye,
pcpartpicker.com/list/G6DYD8
videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=3596&cmp[]=3757
youtube.com/watch?v=xp6ltBCMDCE
pcpartpicker.com/list/NZX8tJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/zhJKtJ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

trying to find a case.
not much taller than an atx board
space for 4+ 3.5 drives and 1 2.5 drive, or 5 3.5 + 0 2.5
silent
non guady
nothing else really matters, my gpu is small (23cm)
tried pcpp but they suck for size filtering

Anybody use these?
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0VE-000W-00007
How well do they work?

fine. make sure you have clearance

Is R7 1700x better than I7 7700k in streaming [OBS] and why?

no fanboy pls

yes. cores and threads. plus it can actually oc

well one has 4 more cores than the other

1/2

2/2

you couldn't just copy it? i dont get why you even mention this, it will probably be fixed soon

so it's almost impossible to encounter in real-world scenario, affects only a small amount of cpus and AMD already said they're working on a fix.
seems like not a big deal to me.

use skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gehatx for filtering

new heat sink just arrived, wooooo

Curious if anyone's tried this out, ebay.com/itm/Delid-Die-Guard-Delid-Relid-Delidding-Kabylake-Skylake-6-7TH-CPU-DIE-protector-/232427111403?hash=item361dbc43eb:g:GtgAAOSwp1dZevye, supposedly its for 6th/7th gen but the die is pretty small and it only has pictures of it being used with 4th gen but that bracket is different in the pictures.

>delidding

You're edgy. I like it. :)

Can I run 2 GPU with AB350M motherboard for GPU passtrought?
Planning to build Ryzen 1600 PC and might want to try get GPU passtrought working. There isnt many mATX 370 motherboards.

>2x GPU on anything less than full ATX

I built this in mid 2015, should I look into upgrading sometime next year
>pcpartpicker.com/list/G6DYD8

Not the other guy, but whats the point of having a ATX board if you're only going to use 2 pci slots?
>MUH UPGRADEABILITY THO
Seriously, what more does an average user need than 4 ram slots and 2 pci slots?

Why can't asian women have more shapely bodies?
I like that they're usually less conceited than white american women, but fucks sake why do most of them have to be 1bra cup size away from looking like a boy?

thanks heaps.

yes

lame

wifi card

Why would you get full ATX when mATX has enough PCIe slots?

Wireless card
TV tuner card
More USB ports
Plenty of reasons for more expansion slots

Would one of those "new" GT 1030's be a half decent card to throw in my shitbox with a Phenom II X4 965 for playing ArmA 2? I need a replacement gpu and the 1030 seems like an alright choice for only 70$.

Whats wrong with msi mobo's? or is it just one user memeing

It's a meme
Just don't buy ASRock

for $30 more you can get a 1050 non Ti, never buy these gimped cards

videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=3596&cmp[]=3757
My 1050 benched is around 6500 score while the latest benches of the 1030 max around 2700.

The only reason you'd really get such a card is for the TDP and worrying less (but not completely) about overloading your PSU.

yes, ph2 wont benefit from better cards, in fact the 1030 might be the best card for it

1050 is too good for the cpu

>ASRock
whats wrong with them?

And $70 is worth it? Might as well sit on it or go even lower in price.

yes. $30 wadted. i doubt what he has can even play arma2, but with a new gpu he could.

youtube.com/watch?v=xp6ltBCMDCE

Any good deals on HDDs going on? Need a 1TB

>linus shill tips

$50 for a 1TB WD or Seagate right now, which is the standard price
If you wait a week or two, you might see one of those drop by $5
The deals mostly show up on the bigger drives

:^)

Nigga buy a fucking board with wifi build in you dumbass.

Samething as the other guy. A lot of matx/itx have built in wifi so you don't need to worry about that non-sense.
>TV tuner card
wtf do you need a tv turner card please show me yours right now with a time stamp
>More USB ports
You aren't sacrificing usb ports for a matx fuck boy. Shit even an ITX has plenty of USB ports.

How do i know if my board has built in wifi

do you not check what your boards have before you buy them?

and lose ugradablility and other functions? on board wifi means youre limited to what the motherboard vendor provides you

ill reply on half od the other guy

it doesnt matter if he has a tv tuner or not, its still something people use.
it is possible to max out usb ports rather quickly. i have 10 on the back and 2 in the front, ive used all of them at some points. i can see in many cases where you could easily be using them all at once.

I didnt buy one yet

it could play arma 2 decently at medium settings. I used to have an hd 6770 in this thing so I know it's not terrible for it

Had this one since about 2008, crapped out a few months ago, waiting until next build this fall to buy a new one

who /PaulsHardware/ here?

why get rid of the 6770? i meant on whatever gpu you had. a 1030 is probs on par with the 6770

Got a friend who is planning on building a new PC and wants help, currently has an Athlon X3 450/R7 250 together. He's got a budget of $1000 and wants to be able to fit in a decent 1920x1080 monitor, I have an idea of what'll fit his needs, an R5 1600/GTX 1060, but is there anything else to know in terms of motherboard choice, PSU choice, etc?

for reference this is his build. His current monitor is some 4:3 a friend of his found on the side of the road
>pcpartpicker.com/list/NZX8tJ

dont fuel his retardation

i used to eatch the newegg vids a lot, did they stop doing them or something? the cast probably changed by now anyway

Why not start a new build with aforementioned 1600 and 1060 and see where it leads?

I don't know about the 1060's wattage but you could probably salvage the PSU.

Everything else except the HDD is scrap, and you didn't mention the case.

I probably won't get rid of the 6770 since I can maybe stick it in the oven and get it to work but i'm just needing a cheap/decent replacement for now.

yeah, paul has his own channel now

My current PC is nearly 10 years old and I've been thinking of building a new PC with Ryzen.

How's the Ryzen support in Linux at the moment? Are you able to do stuff like check the CPU temperature, without having to build a new kernel or anything like that?

if he has an am3+ get him a 8350 and a 1050ti. cheaper than replacing everything and can fit in a 4k monitor probably

>Linux

is a mid tower a bad idea with HEDT processors like xeons/kikerippers/etc., assuming there's ok-but-not-superb airflow? how much heat do these things really output?

not everyone is a 1337 gamer who spends 12 hours a day playing first person shooters

ryzen has some wierd bug with compiling but nothing else as far as i know.

He's planning on getting a new build. Checked 1060's wattage, it's 120W. I forgot to mention, parts of his current PC are from an older build of one of his friend's using some newer parts, the friend he got the old parts from didn't know the name of the case.

How long will the vega 56 card last me for 1440p?

they out put a lot at high load, at low load they dont really. full tower doesnt really make a difference until we start scaling up.

dont reply to retards

forgot to mention, it's a midtower

If anything you're getting better and cheaper going with what the the mb vendor provides you. I was looking for a wifi card and a decent one the compared to onboard wifi was averaging $40 and it ended up just making more sense/cleaner to get onboard wifi.

Like I said with the matx, you aren't losing usb ports. Only on the mitx and even then you got a ton of them. From pictures im looking at I see 8 and with usb3.1 & 3.2 header. If you're using more than that then you have a very specific setup going on that an average user who just want sli gpus for gaymin. Seriously just go look at /guts/ you rarely see anyone using more than 2 pcis at a time and /bst/ i never see anyone with more than a few things hooked up to usb. You're acting like everyone needs to have a big useless board for
>JUST IN CASE MAN MORE EMPTY PORTS TO LOOK AT

How long will my 4460 and 970 last me

till tonight at midnight if you don't reply to this post.

Get a new cpu and upgrade gpu in 2 years

Considering all you ever do is daily skinner box shit in WoW, until it breaks

I've just got meme'd by Amazon. I ordered an ASUS Z 170 Pro MoBo and got something else instead (a M95something plus).

Bought it refurbished, at half the price it is being sold right now.

I think it was too good to be true.

>refurb mobo

>refurb

Complain to amazon you want the correct product for the same price. They will give in if you complain enough.

>buying a refurbished motherboard

fight me

at this point I'll call it a day if I get a refund, i bought it in Amazon US and got the product through my gf which was spending some time there, so I'll have to send the package from another country

Anyway does it matter if the seller wasn't Amazon directly?

That was pretty dumb, but good luck to yah.

I guess it was divine intervention then

>That was pretty dumb
which part?
buying a refurb?
buying from anyone but Amazon?
realising it was not what I ordered after I brought it out of the US?

Tell your boss to give your higher res pics next time.

Letting your gf go to american alone. I can assure you she hooked up a lot.

b-but it was a f-family trip

Chances are ya got cucked son.

What do you think of this monitor for gaming
BENQ BL2420PT ?
I've been looking for something more budget, not entirely sure what to get.

how do i add more than 6 hard drives?

buy a motherboard that doesn't suck

Anything I could do to make this a bit cheaper without sacrificing too much performance? Keep in mind I live in the Netherlands.
pcpartpicker.com/list/zhJKtJ

you can make do with a 650W power supply, save a few bucks there probably
but don't buy an ASRock motherboard

What exactly is wrong with Asrock? I thought they were pretty well respected?

Is SLI even worth it anymore? I currently have 1 gtx 980ti classified. I can get a used one of the same type for $280-$320 on eBay. Should I bother?

Cool argument. What about asus?

Might as well ask here, since I don't know shit about building. What are the things I should upgrade first? CPU and GPU? Would I have to get a new motherboard as well? Already planning on buying a SSD.

all mother boards have 6 sata though, theres only a handful with more

post 'em if you got 'em

why the hell are you getting vega 56?

it wasnt really worth it at the time either

gpu first, cpu is still decent

>12gb of ram
h-how

Why the hell not? Of course I'm waiting for benchmarks but I'm pretty sure it'll be fine.

>it wasnt really worth it at the time either

Yea I figured as much. Guess I'll just wait until this 980ti dies on me, or Nvidia launches a card with HBM2 on it. Whichever comes first.

IIRC, I bought 8GB not long ago and just left an old 4GB stick in there.