So, is Catalan a language or a dialect?

So, is Catalan a language or a dialect?

>dialect?
yes

A language has armed forces and a fleet.

>dialect?
Yes.

t. Valencia

pero porqué?

>dialect?
yes, I am greek

Why doesn't Catalonia want to be a Spain land?

rednecks like bullfighting for example and in Catalonia , corridas are banned

Snowflake syndrome.

Language

A dialect, 100%. I'm not even that good with Spanish and I can still understand it.

català detectat

A language. It isn't even that closely related to Spanish as it is to French linguogenetically.

Sounds like Spanish with a slight French accent to me.

Yeah, sure, it's a dialect. An occitan one, though.

Language.

It's called Silesian of South. So it depends of who you ask about it (Catalonian or no-Catalonian)

FREE CATALUNYA

>ANGLATERRA
Hilarious, they then get mad for being called Spain.

true

what are you implying?

anglaterra should say reino unido

>T. butthurt Scotland

Catalan has its own ISO 639-3 Language Code, so yes.

who decides about such stuff? what code do we have?
brb, googlin

langauge

simply pl, unbelivable....

honestly I didn't know that there's a chart that solvers such disputes. Retards here still couldn't agree if Silesian is language or not

That they are referring to the UK as England when Scotland is not England, it's the UK, but they then get mad as being called Spain, instead of Cataluña.

It's a dialect of Occitan.

It has Spanish loanwords, so it sounds a bit like Spanish, but native Catalan vocabulary and grammar are more similar to French (most similar to Occitan) than Spanish)

Nah, Occitan is a dialect of Catalan

By definition a dialect.

Although it will be a language soon. (hopefully)

>By definition a dialect
what the heck are you talking about you dipshit

> Retards here still couldn't agree if Silesian is language or not
Same here with Low German. Some say it's just a dialect of German although it's a seperate langauge for over a thousand years.

so it's separate dialect for over thousand years or I missed something?

Geopolitics defines if something is a "language" or a "dialect".

e.g., Serbian and Croatian are basically exactly the same, but for obvious reasons they're considered separate languages. On the other hand, you have the giant mess of Chinese languages that are all completely different but all considered to be dialects of the same language for political reasons.

how different are the chink languages? Are they mutually intelligible?

>Are they mutually intelligible?

No, but they all use the same writing system so they're mutually intelligible through writing. It's a really bizarre setup, actually.

Low German descends from Old Saxon, High German from Old High German. They are two languages.

>how different are the chink languages? Are they mutually intelligible?
Not in speech, but in writing they are.

They arr sound same to us, but some varieties are completely unintelligible to others.

This.
Low German is a North Sea Germanic language and thus more closely related to English, Frisian and Scots than to High German, which is an Irmionic language.
In other words: There was a time when the ancestors of the English spoke the same language as those of the Low Germans, but the ancestors of High Germans spoke a different one.
Since then, Low German has been in close contact with High German though, while the other Ingvaeonic (North Sea Germanic) languages underwent different development. That means that there is a certain degree of mutual intellegibility between Low and High, while it was mostly lost between Low German and the Anglo-Frisian languages.

So you personaly think it should be called language. Why doest it even matter? Is there any profit if you have language instead of dialect? Seems so, as you ppl don't really go apeshit over meaningles stuff (that's our job)

Lel, it has Spanish loanwords in the same way English has Germanic loanwords.

Catalan is considered a language even by the spanish government and Occitan has been considered a distinct language from French and Spanish since the times of Dante, geopolitics has a little role in this case.

Stop this meme right now

What are you implying?

It's a dialect of aragonese

I see hudge neon standing "dialect of not even proper Spanish:

Honestly I shouldn't eat this much drugs in my youth

dialect like galician.

It is a dialect but not of spanish (castillan)

They're all dialects of Latin

There's literally no discussion to this. It is a language, that's it.

One could argue it's one of the dialects of the Occitan macro-language. But after all, every romance language is a dialect or variant of vulgar Latin, so it's a little bit arbitrary. I don't feel offended or anything for linking Catalan to Occitan. It's rather the opposite, it probably means that you actually know things about Catalan.

Anti-Catalan haters have said both things. They just say whatever fits their whiny spouts that particular day.

FREE CATALONIA !
Best of wishes fellow Catalonians! Soon you'll get rid of the spanish occupation :)

a dialect of occitan.

Occitano-Catalan union when?

Why would anyone?