Happy Bastille Day!

ITT
Things you know about France and its people

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k8BLmRo08eo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_to_Varennes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armoire_de_fer
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Daily reminder that revolution was a mistake. A constitutional monarchy like brits would have been the best thing

>Things you know about France and its people

France and it's people are based

What did you people think of that one Bastille day the Mexican army marched ?

Pastis is the tastiest shit ever, but if you don't water it down enough French people will judge you.

>pastis with water
no
youtube.com/watch?v=k8BLmRo08eo

I know that the French people fought a monarchy a while ago. There was a lot of singing and I fell asleep halfway through but Hugh was pretty good from what I saw.

Would have been best, if the Roy didn't decide to flee like a coward, if Marie-Antoinette didn't call invasion on us, and if Charles XI wasn't a complete cunt

We gave constitutional monarchy a chance, two times. I don't want to end up like United Queerdom btw.

Where did this happen ? Most people here just put an ice cube or two

isn't bastille day a spanish thing

This

EVERYTHING WENT WRONG

Maybe I just make a habit of drinking with gutless French people then...

I was drinking with three dudes from Toulon and they were wigging out that I had it room temperature.

Then another time a waiter at a french restaurant poured it over ice for me and gave me a little bottle of water. He wigged out when I finished it without opening the water.

>the Revolution did not enact a constitutional monarchy

Are you an idiot?

>France

Meh, dying country.

This.

He tried to implement a constitutional monarchy, but you masonic devil worshippers said no and decided to cut his head off instead.

FIRST POST BEST POST

That's how I like it too

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_to_Varennes

Far from it.

Oh, and I forget
>tfw the main place of my city have the name of the man who arrest L*uis XVI

>"Alright, we'll call together the Three Estates a-"
>"What do you mean, the peasants want equal votes with the nobility and the clergy? What are we, Switzerland?"
>"Oh, nice revolution. Yeah, sure, equal rights and all that. Now excuse me, I need to go on a vacation to Austri-..."
>HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN TO ME

The French monarchy in its entirety was an anomaly, backwards and stuck in the situation of one or two centuries ago. The only model of constitutional monarchy that works in France is Bonapartism, proven by the fact that both Napoleons were incredibly popular and deposed by a foreign invasion rather than a revolt of their own people.

The thing about absolute monarchies, and monarchies in general, is that they only work as long as you have good kings. And the problem with good kings is that they tend to leave behind men incapable of filling their boots. As good of a ruler as he may have been, France never recovered from Louis XIV.

>"What do you mean, the peasants want equal votes with the nobility and the clergy? What are we, Switzerland?"
We don't fully know if he was really against it or not. It was unthinkable for the aristocracy, but Capet granted the doubling of the Third-Estate.

>The French monarchy in its entirety was an anomaly
Not really, in fact it was perfectly logical. The growing centralization under the Valois lead to a struggle between the aristocracy and the King (the Fronde) which lead to absolutism.

>France never recovered from Louis XIV.
I completely agree.

>A constitutional monarchy like brits would have been the best thing

but that's why the revolution happened lmao. the plan was never to kill the monarchy.

>We don't fully know if he was really against it or not.
He wanted a return to the pre-Bastille situation. That's a pretty definitive answer.

>Not really, in fact it was perfectly logical. The growing centralization under the Valois lead to a struggle between the aristocracy and the King (the Fronde) which lead to absolutism.
It was perfectly logical under Louis XIV. It could not deal with the rise of liberalism and republicanism under later rulers though, and that's why it fell. And even after the Revolution Charles X too wanted a return to the pre-Bastille situation and antagonized a lot of the Napoleonic elites, and Louis-Philippe suddenly went full retard with his conservatism. Even during his supposed liberal phase he was more concerned with the bourgeois than the masses.

Bonapartism works because it's a unique form of popular monarchy.

Pretty much this, sort of. The Assemblé Constituant wanted a written constitution (as their name implied) and parity between the three estates. And they got that. And Louis XVI wasn't happy with that. He could've been remembered as a reformer who revitalized the French monarchy if he weren't a retard.

Peugeots and Citroëns are my favourite cars. Never driven a Renault, but I believe they're quite nice too.

>He could've been remembered as a reformer who revitalized the French monarchy if he weren't a retard.

They probably framed him. republicans are this crazy. they even pushed for war against prussia and the german state despite being in terrible shape, just so that the french empire lose and they could take over.

France is the best country in the universe

>They probably framed him
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armoire_de_fer
The evidence was found, presented, he was trialed, he had a legal defense representing him, he was found guilty of treason and he was executed.

There was literally nothing wrong about the death of Louis XVI, not unless you're some Burkesian weeny.

Joyeux jour de la Bastile mes amis français! Ton pays est la meilleur du monde!

Every Bastille Day, I get reminded of my grandmother that passed away recently. She was 90, lived through the war in France, came to Brazil after WW2. Her anniversary was today, when she was a kid she thought everyone was celebrating her birthday on the streets.

I miss you, grandma.

Sorry, Huebro

France is awesome!

Thank you, Slovakbro