Is Portugal a meme country or something?

Is Portugal a meme country or something?
People on the Internet seem quite pissed that Portugal got Pokemon Go before Japan. It seems like they are okay with Italy and Spain getting it first but not with Portugal for some reason.
I've seen someone say "why Portugal?" in English-speaking forums a few times already so it must be a universal thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

portugalresident.com/portuguese-students-offered-protection-in-poland-after-racist-attack
youtube.com/watch?v=v_2fyB4dj4U
youtube.com/watch?v=Cmwdl2TSPMI
vocaroo.com/i/s1vZUknS9y5Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They hate us cause they ain't us

What a coincidence, I saw some guy with what I assumed was Pokémon Go on his phone this morning
I thought that thing was still in it's beta stages

>in it's beta stages
Well, it's a perpetually beta product.

People are incredibly disrespectful of their true KANGZ

The release doesnt have much to do with wealth. It's probably server issues and other bullshit. It will eventualy release everywhere. Even in africa

>Is Portugal a meme country or something?
It is indeed a country memed upon.

It has reached the point where there are so many poor/nigger/moor memes that people are scared of coming here and assume it's a 3rd world country.

Which is weird because despite being the poorest country in West-Europe, we're the 5th most peacefull and enjoy everysingle luxury from the 1st world. It just takes us an extra month of savings for a new phone or whatnot.

Fine by me, keep the fuck out, and leave us alone. It's not like we bother anyone else.

portugalresident.com/portuguese-students-offered-protection-in-poland-after-racist-attack

Das racyst.

We do have relatively moorish features because we raped their wives 800 years ago, and our country has sun the year round. Especially in the south. We're chill people, though.

>wins euro
>gets pokemon first

When did Japan win euro? check mate nip also return nagasaki

They were kings.

Your wives were raped by them first. Do not forget this. Your people ran to the mountains and fought an almost never ending war against muslins but this don't change the fact that your wives were raped first.

This desu. I'm visiting next month to meet up with my old forum buddy and culture pals qt and you don't seem like anything but a first world country.

Food seems great, too.

>moorish features
Seems like a bit of an overstatement. You guys definitely have darker hair/eyes than most Europeans, but I've known some Portuguese (not just muh heritage, these people were actually from Lisboa and Caldas da Rainha) who are natural blondes and gingers, and even have green or blue eyes.

Even the darker ones of you guys still have light skin.

>Your people ran to the mountains

Wut? Those were the asturians. Northern Portugal was conquered to the moors by galicians under the command of the Kingdom of Asturias.

Alberto Barbosa is simply on a big winstreak so people are jealous.

a) Lisbon has shitty areas, but they are non-violent, just a bit depressing a dirty

b) Northern food seems ugly, even for us, but is tasty as fuck, so give it a try

c) Speak English or Portuguese, no Spanish unless you are Spanish. "Obrigado" instead of "Gracias" goes a long way.

d) Say you hate Spaniards in the smaller pub-like bars/restaurants and you might get a free beer.

Memes aside, for once:
>skin
We're honestly mostly just very tan because of the sun. Our old people get that leathery look, but their legs are very pale.

>eyes
Yeah, blue eyes happen like 5% of the time, but we do have a lot of mixed green/brown, especially towards the north. Like 15%, I'd say?

>nose
This is where it gets ya. We have rather big sharp noses, which helps further the stereotype.

Lisbon being the biggest city attracted a lot of former colonies, so the average samples usually fuck us over, but you'd be hard pressed to find black people outside the cities, and outside Lisbon/Porto they are harmless and usually polite because they try to overcome the stereotypes.

It's been a good couple of months for the old Lusos.

Isn't the Kingdom of Asturias the generator/creator/father-I-think-you-undestood of those other kingdoms in the region?

Ask France

>Moors killed and raped until the Goths ran to the hills (Asturias)
>200 (?) years later the goths that didn't either died or got mixed, so consider them moors, for the sake of your argument
>Asturians (Goths/Lusitanians/Roman descendents) conquered the north of the peninsula for a while.
>Portuguese/Leonese/Castillan decided to kick ass back down until the Tagus (Tejo, the river that goes through Lisbon). For Portugal that was all under D. Afonso Henriques, our first king, and it went all the way to Alentejo.
>Alentejo was hard to keep with little population so we spared the women and willing men and basically raped them and have them fight for us so we can conquer the Algarve.
>This is why the Algarve was considered a separate kingdom for a while and why it has different basic architecture.

Despite all of this, the country and our colonies are all Christian, since that was what we used as a reason to expand, so culturally we're all Christian and have no Muslim traditions.

It has left us with some distinct phenotypes like an easier tanning skin and longish noses. We also have god-tier hairlines, comparatively to north Europe.

That's basically the gist of it on our side.Don't they teach you Portuguese history in Brazil?

You're busy with saudade i assume.

youtube.com/watch?v=v_2fyB4dj4U

Yeah, but portuguese have nothing to do with asturians. They didn't retreat to anywhere. They are a mix of the christian northern portuguese that remained there during the islamic invasion and the galician warlords that conquered Porto, Guimaraes and other northerner cities.

>Asturians (Goths/Lusitanians/Roman descendents) conquered the north of the peninsula for a while.
>lusitanians

The fuck are you talking about? There weren't lusitanians in 711.

>Lisbon has shitty areas, but they are non-violent, just a bit depressing a dirty

I'm staying in Mouraria, it looks a bit dirty but also kinda charming. My buddy lives in Brandoa, which looks fairly clean by Lx standards, and it's definitely the nicer part of Amadora.

>Northern Food
I won't be going north of Coimbra, sadly. My culturepals qt might go to uni in Porto though so I'll be visiting her up there some time.

>Speak PT
Estou a aprender português. Tenho que muito aprender, mas sempre estou a estudar.

>hate Spaniards
How? Just say "caralho dos espanhois"?

>skin
I have a small sample size. My qt is very pale in spite of getting her fair share of sun, she just burns and then goes back to being pale (I have darker skin than her). Her sister is a freckled ginger with green eyes. My lx friend is an engineering student so he doesn't get out a lot, but even then he's not much darker than I am (I have German, Alsatian, and Irish ancestry but some of them were swarthy Bavarians).

I didn't meant you're culturally muslim, that's nonsense, Portugal is more catholic than France. Although I heard portuguese has many "a" in the speaking because of the arabs influence.
I thought the Kingdom of Asturias expanded and divided itself to conquer de peninsula and not that it inspired the iberians to fight back as you depicted.
It doesn't fuck up entirely my point that the iberians women were raped, but its nice to know more details.

Kek, I remember you from the other thread. Never really thought that song translated well to saudade. Try this one, from when Students leave our designated university city to go back home and to work. Like leaving the good years of college.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cmwdl2TSPMI

I guess saudade worked originally when women waited for their husbands to come back from their 2 year long voyages, but it's generally that feeling of longing for something you can't really have or may never have again. Sort of like missing something, but more melancholic.

I did say descendants. I think the Romans didn't kill them all and just sort of integrated them. I meant the people from that region before the moors, though. I was just trying to be fast about it.

>I'm staying in Mouraria
Sorry, not from Lisbon so I don't know the zones. Amadora is generally the place to avoid.

>I won't be going north of Coimbra, sadly.
I'm from Coimbra. Nice town, try and hangout at night if you come during the school months. It's a student time with a generally great athmosfere to drink and hang out. See the video here and pic related to see the best part of town for it. It's obviously crowded and from 89, but the buildings were kept the exact same. Most river-side cities are beautiful. I personally love Porto, but Lisbon has some great places too.

>Estou a aprender português.
Don't be discouraged if people laugh at your accent. We know it's hard, and even if it sounds weird we still very much appreciate it.

>How? Just say "caralho dos espanhois"?
Kek, that should do.

>skin
Yeah, gingers are rare, but not unheard of. We still have a fuckton of pale people. Guys are generally more tan because we spend a lot of time outside and tan better.

>than most europeans
Youre talking about Portugal,spain,italy right?

Thanks for video.

Yes, this is true, we have a lot of "al" words we stole. Algarve is one. Alguidar, Alperce.

>It doesn't fuck up entirely my point that the iberians women were raped,
Yeah, I guess, but the features you describe came to be much later with the southern parts of the country. We still managed to make them into a great Empire after a while. And now it has withered, but it's still very peaceful and generally nice to be in.

Portugal in many ways is the Shire/Pallet Town of Europe. Small and unassuming, but with great potential and spirit.

>I think the Romans didn't kill them all and just sort of integrated them

But that's inaccurate, it's like saying that vetones, vacceos, turdetanos, celtíberos, etc. all of them ran to the mountains. Something that didn't happen unless you give me any source because afaik, asturians were pretty much on their own and actually the ones that started the reconquista were very few. Also, most of Iberia submitted to the new invaders because at least they weren't terrible rulers like the visigoths.

Fair enough. I'm not the greatest history buff, I was just reciting what I remembered from history class 10 years ago.

>Coimbra
I even considered transferring there for my undergrad but I didn't want to spend the extra year studying Portuguese.
>tfw I will never get to wear the traje or join the tuna
>tfw I've even learned A Balada do 5º Ano Jurídico

>accent
My friends tell me I have a "generic foreign accent" but I used to sound really American. vocaroo.com/i/s1vZUknS9y5Y I've come a really long way in the past few months

No problem, vizinho.

Nope. I just mean Euros in general. Even the darkest of you guys would be the lightest arabs.

My qt has this one friend who I can't tell is white or not though. She has poofy thick black hair, really tan skin, and overall middle eastern looking features. At first I thought she was indian or something. They're from Caldas da Rainha, which AFAIK is one of the parts of the country with fewer immigrants.

Yeah, it's not bad. You don't fall in common traps. Good job on the "ão", that's usually the one that gets the Anglos.

>>tfw I will never get to wear the traje or join the tuna
Eh, you'd have to go through the introduction which is somewhere between the American frathouses but much lamer now because some kids died and the people pulling the pranks have work to commit.

>>tfw I've even learned A Balada do 5º Ano Jurídico
It's called "Balada da Despedida" ("goodbye ballad"), and it's sung every year by different people (always the finalists (5th year)). The one you know was from the Law students. Maybe they were the first ones to sing it? I'm not sure if it rotates courses or it's always the same course, but I think it does rotate.

I don't understand,are you saying we're whiter than most south europeans or the opposite?
caldas da rainha has alot of ukranians

And i don't care about your''portuguese girlfriend'' you talk to on the internet and haven't met yet in person

They are as handsome as all other Roman countries

Been to Portugal. Algarce region.

Loved it. Stay cool, Portubro.

You can do a portuguese accent better than I do
lel

I think he was saying you guys aren't that different from other europeans across the board, you just have darker hair.

Kek aren't you that guy who was some hardcore nationalist and got butthurt for the fact that his girlfriend was with a foreigner?

He doesn't sound nearly as bad as this guy I knew from high school who is getting pussy whipped by this thai girl from culturepals.

>people are mad because we got a childrens phone game a few days early

>darker hair
darker hair than what?spaniards,tialians greek?how does that even make sense?
we're the whitest of the southern europeans.just because we get memed into eternity because of the fucking age of empire memes doesn't change anything

He's saying we're not as dark as moors. We're still darker than most of Europe, and that may include the rest of the southern countries, but he wouldn't know from the people he does know.

Which is true, but it's mostly because we tan instead of burn.

>thick black hair, really tan skin, and overall middle eastern looking features
It's possible shes got Mozambican and/or Indian ascent (monhés), or she just might be on the darker scale. Those still happen.

Cheers, mate. Come back anytime, and bring money.

It sounded vaguely Brazilian to me at times. This also happens with the Angolan accent. Maybe the dude is a negro.

Darker than the average European, mate. What is it about averages that escapes you?

>being this illiterate
I don't think he meant compared to southern europeans Afonso, he meant all Europeans, including Germans and French and shit.

Visit Sintra if you have the chance. It's near Lisbon, and they have some Elven looking shit down there. Quinta da Regaleira I think it's called.

Nice, wanna visit someday. How much money will I spend in a Grand Tour? *sigh*

That's one of the places I want to do a day trip to. I might go in the evening and try to catch Europe's last sunset at Cabo da Roca.

I'm staying in Lisboa and Óbidos, so I'm hoping to visit Sintra, Caldas da Rainha, Évora, Coimbra, and maybe Peniche or Nazaré.

>why Portugal?
They want to test it in a ""small"" country first

I really have no clue whatsoever. I haven't gone there since I was like 12. Can't imagine it being too expensive for a one day thing. Maybe it's even free without a tour, but then again I really don't remember and it might be under tighter rules.

Never actually been to Évora. I know they put the few rapefugees there next to this statue and they have left the country already because they didn't fell welcome. I know they also left because of low wage and few jobs and whatnot, but the image never ceases to amuse me.

Funny that they started in the US and Australia.