Mfw i know 7 languages

>mfw i know 7 languages
>Only 2 of those languages have more than about10 million speakers
>The only one of those 2 languages that is relevant is English

>tfw know 16 languages
>only 1 is relevant
>its my native language

>Tfw my older brother forced me to speak English at home and would beat me if I spoke our native language.

I speak three languages:

>one has 28 million speakers
>one has ±110 million speakers
>one has 1+ billion speakers (English)
r8
Post which ones

>speak 24 languages
>nobody online believes me

I know English, Burmese, and a shitton of random ethnic languages

Know a little Norwegian, German. Romance languages come hard to me.

>know one language
>it's literally the only one I will ever need like ever

dumb frogposter

>Mfw I speak your language perfectly with no accent
>Mfw your language was like the 7th language I learned
>Mfw I didn't even need to study English to learn, just watched movies

I struggle with English, I don't think I'll get where I wanna get anytime soon,

>with no accent

Pic
Just keep watching movies, and speak English at home, its how I learned.

Hello I polish yes you need sink fixed? I ask for good price only thank you

that's what I do actually, I have issues with fast speaking guys/movies, tho. Like Nostalgia Critic or Tarantino movies (40%-60% understood aproximately). Well, at least without English subs.

Hmmm, do you have any English friends?

Nope, I don't know anybody with much better English than mine.

CHI

That's awesome t b h. I'm learning Vietnamese, a bit more speakers than Burmese but still pretty useless unless (until) I go to Vietnam.

Hmm, then you can only take matters into your own hands, just keep doing what you are doing and you'll surely make improvements

I'm asian

What's your native language?

Yea both are useless internationally

Burmese is pretty easy desu, someone could probably being able to perfectly write it in like 3 months

I don't wanna call it a day yet (nor I have reasons to do it) but I'm quite happy with it's state. Not too happy, so I keep working on it, too. I couldn't understand and pronounce shit at my 27y/o (8 y ago). I could only more or less write and read it. U know, old games had almost no spoken content

I have like 4 native languages.

Burmese as my country's language, Chin (Hakha) as my state language, Mara as my county language, and chhai hlo as my mother's village language.

The Burmese script looks really cool. Vietnamese is the easiest Indochinese language to write tho since it just uses a Latin alphabet with a fuckton of diacritics. Vietnamese is kind of like Chinese, Chinese is related to Burmese, and all the languages are tonal, so they must be pretty similar.

Burmese is related to Nepali, they sound like cousin languages, and we have a lot of Anglo (many English words exist in Burmese) and Chinese influences. Burmese is probably easiest for a native English speaker.

>languages
More like dialects

>mfw I'm learning a language
>all I've done with it is shitpost on Sup Forums
What am I even doing with my life?

using wroten foreign language, actively and passively
it won't earn you nobel prize but still, there's like 100kk worse ways to spend time

or written

YOU HAVE BEEN VISITED BY THE ISLAMIC TRUCK OF TOLERANCE

______________¶___
|religion of peace ||l “”|””\__,_
|______________|||__|__|__|]
(@)@)*********(@)(@)**(@)

POST THIS IN ANOTHER THREAD OR YOUR BULL WILL DIE TONIGHT

>three mandatory languages in primary school
>only one of them is truly useful

>Tfw know 2 languages
>Only one is relevant
>It rhymes with Ithkuil

:^)

>Tfw when born and raised in Montreal so speak French, went to English school and come from a Portuguese family.
>tfw when I speak 3 of the top 6 most spoken languages.

Feelsgood.jpg

Kamelåså

Tit gera bara lívið truplari fyri okkum

> I know a language
> 1, 2,3,4,5 hi, bye

americans everywhere, tourists included

I speak both english and Portuguese fluently.
I can understand and read spanish perfectly (like any Portuguese person), and talk/write fairly okay.
I can write, read and understand french (speaking is a bit harder since I never practice so it's really rusty).
I can read hiragana and katakana and i know some basic jap.
Im learning korean.

I wish i could learn mandarin and japanese too but for now i'll just stick to Korean.

wtf me too, exactly the same languages with almost exactly the same skill level.

>CHI
NESE

Ever since ive started learning korean ive found so many people who are also learning it haha. It's a pretty rewarding language to learn. The fact that hangul is so easy to pick up really helps. Also fortunately the pronunciation isn't too hard for us Latin speakers even if it's a tiny bit harder than jap. How long have you been learning it? Ive been learning by myself for the past month.

>tfw murricans will never know how it feels being able to speak all european languages

I've been learning it for 2 years, but not actively. I only studied it seriously for around 2 to 3 months (alphabet, basic sentence structures, how verbs work and a little bit of vocabulary). My biggest accomplishment is being able to read/sing rap 노래방 written in hangul kek How about you? How much do you already know?

Lol, Im not American

>I speak both english and Portuguese fluently.
>I can understand and read spanish perfectly (like any Portuguese person), and talk/write fairly okay.
>I can write, read and understand french (speaking is a bit harder since I never practice so it's really rusty).
Literally me.

just from reading this post I can almost smell the haven't-left-the-house-in-weeks stench this obese neckbeard weeb is sure to be releasing

I speak the perfect language, which is spanish; any other can't into our rich nuances and vocabulary (no amerifags, wetbacks aren't an example of intellectual spanish speakers). Also I speak english, wich lets me to communicate with the world.
Confy status:achieved

>tfw I know 5 languages AND THEY'RE ALL RELEVANT

I'm assuming:
French,English, Spanish, German, ????

...and Italian.

I didn't count the various Asian languages I tried to learn and forgot. Will learn Russian soon.

portuguese...
oh wait... it's irrelevant

Just learn Portuguese, should be easy as hell for you.

>tfw I speak 2
>only one is actually relevant and the other one is not even as relevant as Spanish for my job
I am trying to pick up Japanese or Spanish but I dont feel like it's worth it to study either intensively to reach college level.

>tfw duolingo actually works if you just want to learn how to speak a language and ignore focusing on grammar
wew

Dude, it's more 'relevant' than German...

I fail to see how italian is relevant

How do I learn a language anons? My classes in middle and high school never helped.

I tried Duolingo for Spanish, but I stopped due to lack of commitment and feeling like it progressed too slowly and I'd forget it anyway.

How did you guys learn and remember a language quickly and efficiently?

culture. both audiovisual and literature.

>canada
>relevant

“Wanderer, your footsteps are the road, and nothing more; wanderer, there is no road, the road is made by walking. By walking one makes the road, and upon glancing behind one sees the path that never will be trod again. Wanderer, there is no road-- Only wakes upon the sea.

Caminante, son tus huellas el camino, y nada más; caminante, no hay camino, se hace camino al andar. Al andar se hace camino, y al volver la vista atrás se ve la senda que nunca se ha de volver a pisar. Caminante, no hay camino, sino estelas en la mar.”
― Antonio Machado, Campos de Castilla

I can already read Portuguese and guess wildly what it says. But I'm not motivated to learn it. Maybe I'll try just for the bunda?

It's relevant in opera and high culture in general.

Practice everyday with people or media from the country.

>I can understand and read spanish perfectly (like any Portuguese person)
Every portuguese person might be able to read spanish, but not understand it. Not if it's spoken at natural speed and with regionalisms.

Easy, just find some anglophones to practice with, and given that we're fucking everywhere, it can't be that hard to find someone that you can actually talk with
Especially online

How the heck can you learn by just watching movies??! Do you have native subtitles on? Pls teach.

Is this the level of intellect I can expect out of all Germans?

I know it sounds stupid, but just keep watching movies or TV shows from that language, for the first few months, it will seem like 0 percent progress but then you start picking phrases (slowly but surely) up and you get to see all the slang and grammar. Also for

As I said I've been learning it for only a month so I'm still just starting. I study about 40m-an hour a day bc unfortunately I don't have more time.
I started by learning hangul and pronunciation. Then I learned some simple words/phrases like hello, please, thank you, excuse me etc.
Now I'm learning some more vocabulary like numbers, colours, animals, objects etc. I have stickers with the names of furniture and objects all over my house haha. I think relating words to "images" helps a lot, kinda like when you're teaching kids. Since I'm studying alone I tried to recall how I learnt French in school. We started with learning basic vocabulary before starting grammar. Im thinking of starting grammar next month. Phrase structure/verbal conjugation. what do you think?

I'm a girl, I work everyday and have been to China. Plus my job is related to animation. Vai masé apanhar na peida meu ganda tuberculo.

Sounds like your brother is just the kind of immigrant we like having around here.

Good writing. Better than mine. My first language is Korean but my writing is so bad that I have to make every handwriting with English as I cannot read my Korean handwriting

Spanish is really easy for Portuguese to understand, of course there might be one word here or there that we don't know of but I've never been in a situation where I couldn't understand what a Spanish person was saying, be it irl or TV. Also you have to understand that every kid born in the late 80's/90's watched a bunch of cartoons dubbed in Spanish. Latin american Spanish is even easier.

Linguist here, ask me questions bitches.

T-thank you! I think it helps that I'm an illustrator. I do find hangul really easy though. Plus it's super cute looking.

What field of linguistics do you study?

why are you a neet?

I'm and I'm also a grill. O que a foda, guria.
From what I can see in your papers I think it's time you begin learning how the language works. Do you already know simple stuff such as 는/요/에요/없어/etc? If not, you should try to pick it up as soon as possible.
> I think relating words to "images" helps a lot
>We started with learning basic vocabulary before starting grammar
That's a great approach. Also, your handwritting is cute.

To me Duolingo is only used for grammar actually. I get vocabulary and phrases from Memrise flashcards and fill in the gaps with books and other sources.

Because I just graduated. Gonna apply for master's programs though most likely.

I'm drawn to computational linguistics, though unfortunately my program was purely theoretical. Out of my classes I preferred the more typological/morphological stuff because of the emphasis on cross-linguistic patterns. I don't understand the people who go into the field to look at literally nothing other than English, but that's just my opinion.

>you have to understand that every kid born in the late 80's/90's watched a bunch of cartoons dubbed in Spanish
This explains it. Kids living in the border with Brasil learn their portuguese watching Globo.

Thing is that if you don't have exposure to the language, it's very difficult to understand it when brasilians talk among each other. It's easier when they talk to us, since they drop the slang, the idioms and they use a slower pace.

I have a good command of portuguese, and I can understand almost everything from Rio to Uruguay. Understanding northeasterners talking among each other is beyond my abilities.

Is it necessary for a linguist to speak many languages?

Do you suffer from any autism spectrum disorder?

You do not speak latvian.

One of them is Esperanto isn't it?

What are you planning to do with computational linguistics?
And what languages do you speak?

>Understanding northeasterners talking among each other is beyond my abilities
You're not alone, Uruguay.

No, I don't know any romance languages

I speak Finnish, English and Turku

>I speak X languages
Pointless unless we define what "speak" means.

Most weabs that I've met that claim to speak my language couldn't even hold a conversation about the morning news.

>tfw I only know 2
I just don't know what language I could commit to actually learning.

Burmese is definitely not related to Nepali.
Burmese is Sino-Tibetan, while Nepali is Indo-European. Nepali is LITERALLY closer to English than it is to Burnese.

I know that -yo is added to verbs/words to make them formal right? Like jebal/jebalyo right? Other than that I don't know what the others refer to. But I'll deffo look it up. Thanks for the tips and the compliment on my handwriting! c: also continue to study! Don't drop it now 화이팅!!

I speak four of the most common languages spoken in the world

English
Chinese
Hindi and Urdu
Spanish

No, but generally they do. Not because they have too, but because studying languages makes you want to speak them.

I'd like to think I don't

I'm planning to get a job, really. It seems to be one of the only real ways to make a living in Linguistics and coincidentally I do like it, so hopefully it'll work out. As far as what specifically I'll do, I'm open to pretty much any sub-field. If I get into a program I'll probably end up getting steered in one direction or another based on the school/faculty.

Language-wise, I speak English and Spanish, and am conversational in Farsi, Japanese, and Italian. However I still have a long ways to go in all of them.

Nope, it's totally possible and common for a linguist to speak only their native language. I personally don't understand why someone would do that, but that's the reality of things. I find that my interest/knowledge of foreign languages was very very helpful for my degree though.

That's weird, they sound so similar, and now that you mention it, so does Tibetan. I guess it's just that we all are influence by Chinese

I speak 2 languages
One is English.
The other is Spanish.

I can communicate with 2.5 billion people.

Well it's understandable that you don't understand heavy accents or local slang and stuff, I mean even people from north Portugal don't know south Portugal slang / vice versa. I'm from south pt and sometimes have a hard time understanding people from Azores. Lots of Portuguese people also have a hard time with northeast Brazilian accents (luckily i don't since my mother is from NE Br). It always depends on exposition but I can understand pretty much everything I hear on TV, be it doraemon getting angry with Nobita for not doing his homework or people from Venezuela complaining about the lack of food. I think it's the case with both sides (Spanish people having a hard time understanding EUPT tho).

I meant, what do you want to do with it? Continue the work towards a universal translator, work on voice recognition, etc?

Would you say that knowing two languages helped you become conversational in the other three?
What drove you to go for Farsi?

-yo (요) is informal honorific (honorfic is something like voce instead of tu)
formal honorific is -pnida (-ㅂ니다)

>Don't drop it now 화이팅!!
você também
쉽게포기하지마라
알았어?

YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW CHINESE MANDARIN AND CANTONESE BCUZ CHINA IS THE NEXT EMPIRE.

How the fuck?

How do you learn even 2 languages?