"imperial gallon"
"liquid gallon"
"dry gallon"
"ounce"
"pound"
"yard"
"mile"
>month/day/year
>Hey Johnny, hand me the 5/37th of an inch wrench so I can tighten this nut to 7/18th foot pounds
"""Fahrenheit"""

Jesus christ why are amerilards such contrarian faggots?

ebin

>1 mile = 5280 feet (very easy to remember)
>1 yard = 3 feet (extremely useful)
>metric ton = 2204 lb
>US ton = 2000 lb (very useful for determining body weight)
>no one ever says "imperial ton" or "metric ton"

I hate this system.

>complains about base-12 units
>uses base-12 for angles and time

yurotrash everybody

Forgot to mention "inHg" versus "mmHg". I have no idea why someone decided that inHg would be more useful. If we got rid of inHg today and replaced it with mmHg, I don't know of anyone who would complain.

>1 kilo of sugar
>they just measure the force divided by an approximation of g ie not accurate

>5 lbs of sugar
>accurate measurement of the force without any conversions

>uses base-12 for angles and time
people who actually do maths with angles n shit use radians, not degrees. degrees are shite.

ordinary timekeeping is forever locked into base twelve. you can thank babylon for the base 12 chronological system.

B-but look at this little country in Africa, it uses the retard system, too.
And look at this other country in Asia, they do it too.

So it's great right?

Get trucked

Meh, not a real argument.
I have to admit that I like your shitty system tho.
It's pretty exotic

engineer here, we use degrees; radians are only used when absolute angle is needed similar to using Kelvin/Rankine over Celcius/Fahrenheit for things like thermodynamics

Customary/Imperial is better for common usage because it makes more sense. A foot is appx. a foot, an inch the length of your thumb digit, mile is how far you can see teaspoon/tablespoon/cup are obvious, gallon is a jug of liquid, pound is the weight of a palm-sized rock etc

In the realm of engineering, we have advanced measurement devices and nothing would work if we just approximated shit with various appendages, and calculations/conversions are a constant necessity, which is where the usefulness of metric comes in. It doesn't matter that kilogram or meter is completely arbitrary and not based in real-time usefulness because it's just a unit for calculation, and ease of calculating is more important

tl;dr imperial is better for everyday/physical use, metric is better for engineering/theoretical use

>Customary/Imperial is better for common usage because it makes more sense

How? By being not based on a decimal system?

>mile is how far you can see
Nice one

It makes sense for you because you've been educated and accustomed with it.

But the system itself isn't precise.

>in addition, US inch and UK inch are not even same size

FFUUUUUUAAAACK

>americans
lol

>A foot is appx. a foot
>but not unless it's a foot, then it is a foot

>Liberia

when america will abolish the imperial system?

I wish more people would use dm for measuring heights. Or in general, at all.
The general
>clapistani can't handle more than one decimal point/large numbers
meme generally stems from measuring peoples heights in cm or m, where dm would be closer to what they're used to with feet/inches. It doesn't really matter, it's just cleaner units.

Never. Too far gone now. Either that or state by state adoption until its just Texas or something.

based vlad

Neither are our gallons I don't think

We note temperature using a form like 65F
Euros mistake the F to mean "Fahrenheit"
The truth is Americans measure temperature in DEGREES OF FREEDOM

Oh? always thought that was fahrenheit.

Because we industrialized while you faggots were still in mud huts and our industry adheres to the standards of the age it was established in

But way to make yourself feel superior by glomming on to our success after the fact

Physicist here. Radians are not used because absolute angles are needed as you can go from radians to degrees or vice versa with a single multiplication operation. They're used because they make formulas prettier. This is different from how Kelvin/Celsius/Fahrenheit work.

>""quart""
same as a liter, why would you have a problem with that?
>"feet"
way better than measuring boards as 2.3meters, meters are field measurement like yards, the fact that you use field measurement for house sized things is rediculous
>""pound-feet""
>"""foot-pound"""
when was the last time you measure force??
>"inch"
in the metric system you basically use centimeters or meters for everything, decimeters are rarely used to measure something, centimeters are too small to be practical
>"gallon"
>"imperial gallon"
>"liquid gallon"
>"dry gallon"
a gallon is the same as 4 liters, you have to measure everything in liters all the time, like you have to say give me a 4-liter jug of beer, we just say give me a gallon, you have so many gaps in the metric system because just divides everything in 10ths
>"ounce"
much more useful than grams, grams are better for sub-inch measurements though I will admit
>"pound"
half a kilo, no big difference
>"yard"
same as a meter, why would you have a problem with this?
>"mile"
I wouldnt mind changing to kilometers

what we say:
>give me a quarter cup of milk to go along with 10 ounces of flour and 2 tablespoons of sugar

what you say:
>give me 60 milliliters of milk to go with my 250 centigrams of flour and 60 miligrams of sugar

my question to you, is this a kitchen or a scientific laboratory?

>american
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa

Tablespoons are a measure of volume not mass.

Im aware, the fact is that you have no practical way of measuring small measurement other than to use 50 milliliters which is stupid because you are constantly dividing down a liter into tiny fractions of a liter whereas we just say 2 tabelspoons

>what you say:
>>give me 60 milliliters of milk to go with my 250 centigrams of flour and 60 miligrams of sugar

who told you that?
your special ed teacher?

I'm going to let you in on a very dirty secret that the rest of the world is hiding for you.
we still use imperial for kitchen measurements.

ok, if you use cups and spoons and teaspoons you should use pints quarts and gallons too, the fact that you stop using imperial over a liter is weird

I'm translator of technical documentation and I hope every single American gets balls cancer

>you should use pints quarts and gallons
no we shouldn't.

Litres are fine.

>you are dumb for using exact measures instead of using concepts like we do
Ok then

>meters are field measurement like yards, the fact that you use field measurement for house sized things is rediculous

pints are for beer

>give me a quarter cup of milk
>what size cup?

No we don't you mong.
Maybe you Australians do but i've been to almost all the European countries, and with perhaps the exeption of the British we don't use imperial for anything.

>>what size cup?
thats the joke, you seriously cant think of a cup as a thing, you have to know how many milliliters it is, like every thing is 20 milliliters or 50 milliliters, I would hate that

cups and table/teaspoons specifically, as they are actual things, especially the spoons.

we all know the metric system anyway
we use it to buy our drugs and soda, the 2 most important things to us

I have never used cups for cooking in my life.

they want to be special snowflakes

you're like a baby, OP, how did you forget:

>Pound-Force
>Pound-Mass
>2 types of tons that are not the same as metric tons

>be Amerifriend
>use square feet
>be in constant need of motorised carts because of that

>US ton = 2000 lb (very useful for determining body weight)

Samefag.

Damn right

Yeah but they're defined metrically with nice round numbers; a cup is equal to 250 mL, teaspoon is 5 mL and tablespoon is 20mL

>nasa uses metrics
really makes you think

wat

>nasa uses metrics
Because metric system units are based on intrinsical physical properties that are constant (at least in theory) in any corner of the universe and they can be expresed, at some point, in terms of another basic units.
They are incredible flexible because they are not tied to the external conditions of the thing you are measuring, thus predicting hypthetical phenomenons even when we don't know, or are not sure, about the totality of the conditions.
Imperial system is just random bullshit that basically works only in physical and defined things in conditions that you have to be sure can be measurable, in other words, only things that are in our range of manipulability, so extraterrestrial phenomenons are discarded by definition.

The most retarded are stone, the British gallon, the British quart, pint etc.

Literally a measuring system for less than 1% of the world population.

>mile is how far you can see

If you're a midget maybe. Are you a midget?

>the only people who defend imperial system are dumb fat ameritard rednecks

really makes you think

>he needs a trigger warning for alternative standards

>yuros cant even use google

>e621

s-s-shut up
maybe you should ignore the bookmarks and call me out for trying to bait people by editing google results instead

Metric tonne is spelt tonne btw, there's a long ton and short ton, so an imperial ton in the UK is different to the US, same with gallon I think.

>not bashing one out to lizardgirls

Pleb

NEVER EVER SUCK IT LOSERS

>He doesn't know his penis size in inches

You'll never get a girl if you tell her that your penis size in cm's, that's just embarassing

hes right

Europeans dont understand we never convert. Inches, feet, yards, miles. They are all seperate units that we have made evenly divisible into each other, not the same system.

We only measure our own body heights in feet and then inches because thats just how we do it.

Everything else we use the right unit that fits the general size of what we are trying to measure

meanwhile metric wants to use one unit to measure everything and gets so autistic over conversion because theres literally NOTHING that is ideally suited to being measured in meters.

18cm sound a lot more impressive than 7"

>foot-pounds
It's called torque you dumbass fin

>theres literally NOTHING that is ideally suited to being measured in meters
>hurr durr i love yards

It doesn't because everyone thinks of cm's as very tiny. When you give a girl your resume on the first date seeing the penis size listed as cm's is just going to embarrass both of you, you because it makes your penis look tiny and uncultured, and her because she chose you for this date in the first place

>everyone thinks of cm's as very tiny.
By that logic inches should be thought of small as well, since they're literally defined as 2.54 cm.

>seeing the penis size listed as cm's is just going to embarrass both of you
Not at all. It makes you seem cultured and a bit exotic. Though you might be right vis-a-vis Americans as you would be pretending.

nice b8

Think of it like this. A mile is about the width of your country

Actually it's about 100 miles or 160 km.

Well US girls think a benis that isn't mutilated is a literal rapemachine so I don't see how me expressing benis size in inches helps that

>german "humor"
>explains it with a picture of a german character written to be awful at comedy

>Belize
>metric
Tbh we use both but imperial is used mostly

we still use both too

So using a shitload of units for different things and situations is better than using one that could fit everything? That's good to know.

rainer wolfcastle was austrain like arnold scwarznegger

youve grown up using the metric system so Im sure the imperial system seems weird and awkward. Thats what I thought to when I first starting learning the metric system in school in the 7th grade, I though this is great, no more weird conversion between units, this is so much easier and will be the future. But when I see how the metric system is applied to real world measurement then it starts to become a pain in the ass. Like a liter is the same as a quart, but we also have gallons which is easier when dealing with with large measurment. For example I can visualize very easy what I 50 gallon barrel looks like, but a 200 liter/quart is hard to visualize because the measurement is too small for what its used for. You dont understand this because youve only used the metric system, but if were to use gallons and feet in your workplace for measuring things you would see that feet are more easy to use than meters and that gallons are more easy to use than liters/quarts. The only place where the metric system is used a lot is in a pharmacy, because in tiny measurement things like milligrams are easier to visualize than thousandths of an ounce and millilitres dont even exist really, thousandth of teaspoon? thousandth of quart?

Not gonna read that shit