Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RRVIVJjuaHE
youtube.com/watch?v=_pGaz_qN0cw
youtube.com/watch?v=OGXDXB9qses
vocaroo.com/i/s0YT6zLTNkU6
youtube.com/watch?v=FXaJI0L562k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

fuck, wrong board, delet pls

How is this a question? Game of Thrones is a fun show and book series, but Lord of the Rings is high art. I like both, but it's not a contest.

Saged desu because it seems off topic.

Game of thrones wins because lord of the rings sucks.

>LOTR is high art

No, it's fucking not. It's boring trash. Tolkien didn't know how to write. He was a translator, not a writer. His prose is shit, his writing is shit, about 3/4th of LOTR could have been removed and it wouldn't have affected the story at all. It's all just filler and shit.

No one fucking cares about the stupid song, and no one cares about Tom Bombadil and his stupid fucking trees.

Tolkien a shit

plebs detected

LOTR easily, no competition.

>Tom Bombadil
>Not the best part of Lord of the Rings
Unironically.

Tolkien is the father of high fantasy, how is this even a question?

Fantasy without serious worldbuilding always seem lazy and pointless. Why even write a fantasy without it.

>Lord of the Rings is high art
Пиздeц блядь

This. It's about immersion and making you reexamine things in the real world via analogy. It's about giving context to why the struggles of the protagonists need to occur.

You don't want high fantasy. You want to be told a taut story. That's fine, but don't complain that paintings are shit because they aren't woodcarvings.

Lotr is tons of times better than asoiaf.

Hobbiton, both the departure from it and the return to it, are the best of the trilogy imho

both are vastly superior to anime and trash weeaboo culture sorrounding it

>Fantasy without serious worldbuilding always seem lazy and pointless.
Not everything has to be bogged down nerd trash senpai

The dark tower.

>tfw a nigger is playing Roland in the movie

both are overrated shit, but at least game of thrones has beautiful women in it.

The crimson king stuff at the end was some of the worst shite I've ever read.
King should never have stopped taking copious amounts of drugs.

How the fuck is that even a question?

Regardless of whether you're going by the books or the TV/film adaptations, LOTR is simply much better.

I mean, come on, "Hold the door"? Fucking REALLY? There are so many shitty and cringe-inducing plot elements in GOT. As a whole it's fun and entertaining, but really, there's just no comparison, LOTR is miles ahead.

Yeah, well, the end kinda sucked. Still it is an awesome series.

GOT wouldn't exist without LOTR so

also GoT is casual as fuck

>I like Hemingmeme

GoT is LotR for adults

LOTR

The one true king

>muh medieval soap opera

>bashing based tom bomdadil

LOTR by a significant margin.

>muh children tier good and bad dichotomy
>~le elf language~
>muh expansive boring universe

why didn't Daenerys just fly the Eagles to Westeros?

>boring universe

only tolkien and LotR could keep you 100% hooked on the book while reading the description of Lothlórien or every single detail of the Old Forest for 50 pages.

Tom would canonically lose against Sauron and his forces were they ever to fight, even when inside his Woods, and he has no power outside of them. Elrond says so in the Council, when they're talking about why they shouldn't just give the ring to Tom

LOTR is a masterpiece that is aimed at capturing the very essence of European mythology and spirit. Of course your stupid huemonkey ass doesn't get it.

He would have lost the ring because he gives zero fucks, I think Gandalf himself said that.

And in my opinion, since Tolkien never wrote much about Bombadil and it remains a mystery, he was Eru Ilúvatar himself...more than a simple forest spirit or a simple Maia.

both are shit for inverted reasons
LotR is a good book with shit movie adaptation and ASoIaF is a shitty book with good soap opera adaptation

LotR, easily.

>with good soap opera adaptation
Not after the last two seasons

i read the 3 books in 3days one summer thats how much i got immersed in them

Fantasy books are for manchildrens.

because fillers. like The Hobbit

The Lord of the Rings movies aren't perfect, but they're visually stunning. The casting is all perfect and the sets and costumes are themselves worth watching the movie for.

The Hobbit movies are also bad, but the lack of quality in in the last two seasons of GoT has more to do with it having an awful plot full of holes.

who cares? It's boring anyway

Some of us prefer broader ideas than the intricacies of banana peeling and tree swinging.

hobbit is one book streched in 3 movies
its greed at work ofc they are bad

>who cares? It's boring anyway.
Literally the definition of being a stupid nigger.

>GoT
>DUDE INCEST LMAO
>WOW SO MUCH TABOO BREAKER :DDD
>LMAO I'M SUCH A NERD
>t. normie who never had any touuch with rpg, medieval, gaming etc...

LOTR is the only way.

>but they're visually stunningbut they're visually stunning
>us flag
... i want Sup Forums to have flags too
the only boards that don't need flags ought to be /sci/ and /po/

No, that's a separate issue. Gandalf and Elrond outline 2 big reasons for why giving the ring to Tom would be a bad idea

1. he would probably just lose it

2. if Sauron were ever to find out that he had it, and hauled his armies to the Shire to take it from him, Tom would not be able to stand against them

I win, byt smart refusal to pick one (so by enjoing both franhises on equal level.).

Same | couldn;'t say which is more fun Hickhikers guide to galaxy or Paragraph 22

Neither. I'll pick the superior work of fiction.

Did I do something stereotypical?

I like them both, but lotr is way better.
Cinematography, music, atmosphere and dialogue are god tier.

>Tom would not be able to stand against them
I wasn't big on LotR, but I thought Tom was absurdly powerful.

now lets be clear elrond said that he doubted that even tom would be able to resist sauron and his forces he didn't said he would surely lose

Nah, it's not

It's entertainment, it's supposed to be fun, entertaining

>mfw i thought aragorn was named after the kingdom of aragon
>i have no face

His powerlevel is constrained to the border of his forest -- leave it, and he's much much weaker

and even in his forest, he's not the all-powerful god that fanon has made him into being over the years. he's simply an enigma

elrond sounded pretty damn confident in saying that Tom would lose, he wasn't going "and maybe Tom wouldn't be able to resist," he said "this isn't nearly a consistent enough plan to be worthwhile, it's too risky"

What about art that affects someone emotionally and makes them think? Does that not have value to you?

yeah i know
just saying that he migh could pull it off after all we dont know fuck all about him

If it's entertaining at the same time, fine, but when it's just pretentious...

Hey dol! Merry dol!

youtube.com/watch?v=RRVIVJjuaHE

how many of you have heard this song put to music?

yfw they killed him because they want dany to be azor ahai and become queen for feminist points

Maybe they can cash those points in for some tendies.

My girlfriend made me dress up as Pippin and she was Merry for the comicon last year. It was pretty cool.

TWENTY

GOOD

MEN

That's not a very adult comment, user.

FACT

LOTR has the single best movie score of all time, in terms of how well it captures the source material.

Seriously, find me a better theme than youtube.com/watch?v=_pGaz_qN0cw

This theme IS the shire

[spoiler]you can try but you won't succeed[/spoiler]

youtube.com/watch?v=OGXDXB9qses

based aragorn

>that song
It's eerily perfect.

And that brief Rohan theme. So much of it.

>it's a piece of entertainment
>it's supposed to be entertaining
>it's not
>people get mad when you say it's not

lol...

The Hobbit book was one of my most enjoyable reads

This dude can do everything he wants.

LotR has some of the best speeches in any movie I've ever seen.

Though I must admit that the cinematography in the Battle of the Bastards was out of this world. However, I'm not convinced that it's really enough to compensate for the weak plot.

The audiobooks by Ian Holm have fantastic singing, he really gets into it.
vocaroo.com/i/s0YT6zLTNkU6

It's beautiful, but also fun to watch. The character interactions are reasonable and loveable. The action is intense. Most everyone disagrees with you that it isn't entertaining. But hey, you know:
>it's boring, lol ur mad

> I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now.

>Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

>What are we holding onto, Sam?

>That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

youtube.com/watch?v=FXaJI0L562k

>it's a piece of entertainment

It's not exactly that though.

*GoT is LotR for edgy teenagers that need to have violence and sex on everything to feel "mature"

/lit/ here. I am disgusted by you all.
Read books for adults.

yeah, that scene was really something, for whatever reason I even got teared up a bit, especially while they were showing the scenes in Helm's Deep and Isengard

I find that its fairly interesting GoT was written by a man who led a relatively peaceful and sheltered life while LoTR was written by a man who actually participated in a world war

>all rape all the time
>Every one is bad
>Good guys always loose
>God I am so adult
They are both different types of stories.

>homosexual here.
FTFY

>G-GENRE FICTION

it always baffles me some people demand to see the rape scenes that "really should have happened" during lotr, while forgetting that the vast majority battles in the books simply wouldn't have allowed for any such behavior unless, ofcourse one jumped naked from a wall into a mass of orcs and wrestled one into submission

the violence and sex is just to create controversy for the normies though