Duolingo/language thread

Saluton :^)

What languages are you learning?

Forgot pic.

Пpивeт, миcтp бин

Hej, hur mår du?

Dein Bär trinkt Bier

>mfw Die Katze trinkt Milch.

Jesus the pace of this is starting to get to me. I spend just two days away from my phone and all of my lessons have lost gold. Is it worth it to see the German course to completion?

Spanish and French

Здpaвcтвyйтe!

Russian
I started a few days ago.

Sal

Mi ne uzas duolingon nuntempe ĉar ĝi ne enhavas la lingvon kiun mi nun studas

mi supozas ke vi nuntempe esperantumas ĉe duolingo?

German

Saya belajar bahasa Indonesia

Used it for French for a while. Was great for being able to read the language, but when I went to Paris I still couldn't speak it for shit.

learning spanish so I can shag some black chicas

Duolingo is a good starting point, but I finished the Spanish tree and felt like I still didn't know much. By design it can only have so many sentences (that you start to memorize), so it's good to get variety. After finishing, I started memorizing words and drilling verb forms with Memrise and Anki and reading tons of sentences with Clozemaster. I also have grammar books and look up whatever seems unfamiliar.

I probably would have absorbed more from Duolingo had I used Memrise alongside it, but with that said I'm still using Duolingo. No matter what you do the most important thing is working on it every day and not letting yourself get discouraged.

>Memrise
Had never heard of this until now. Thank you for mentioning it. I will definitely be using this alongside Duolingo.

Bonege! Kiun lingvon vi deziras studi?

Jag ar bra

spanish
I wanna get latina gf

Varför läser ni svenska? Vill du flytta till Malmö :--DDDD?

I need to learn French in English on this app. I make shit mistakes sometimes because of my Engrish.

>You are correct

German, French, Danish, Hungarian.

33% "fluent" going on a 52 day streak. I spend 30 minutes getting my lessons back to gold before I progress..it's frustrating.

>duolingo has fluency ratings
a bit silly

>20% fluent in german according to duolingo
>i know virtually nothing
Should've just used a book with excercises in it honestly.

Deutsch ist sehr schwer

I covered 2 third of the app but basically it took me 5 months.
I never gonna be down. ;_;

No, you should stop wasting your time.

youre not really learning the language by doing that. all you are doing is remembering phrases duolingo is teaching you. try using a textbook or something else to help you.

I do the same thing.
I could try to go forward without seeing the stuff before but eventually I would end up confused so I try to take a look at the old stuff before doing anything new.

Is this just a meme or are people actually trying to learn languages with Duolingo?

Who else learn their own language on Duolingo? A bit silly, but i do that, i learn a few other languages, too.

I fucked them up sometimes lol.

Of course not. But it is a nice introduction to a new language.

I learned perfect Finnish with Duolingo, try me.

I became fluent in Hindi thanks to duolingo

Not using duolingo but trying to learn Finnish.

>tfw trying to say the same word five times and STILL can't get it right

it's teaching me the vocab. So far I can lurk /deutsch/ and understand that germans are just as autistic in their own language as well as english.

Im brazilian i know english already what should i learn
I gave up on japanese cuz its hard and useless
I was thinking about German or french, maybe even swedish.
Is German really that hard?

>understand that germans are just as autistic in their own language as well as english
How so?

German has a lot of different adjectives, that's probably the hardest part.

I think it's good for vocab mainly, because of all the repetition.

Fuck off we're full

duolingo is dog shit compared to memrise

German C1 here.

German is hard due to:
1) its rigid syntax: every part of the sentence has in most of the cases a pre-established position. That might be a little confusing for people who speak languages such as Italian, which often allows a more flexible syntax
2)Declensions: 3 gender, 4 cases, nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs. There's a lot to decline in German 2bh

With that being said, German isn't exactly the best language for self-learners. The grammar in the books for foreign learners is often explained very poorly and one can't really notice all the mistakes one makes with declensions and genders without the assistance of a native teacher.

>its rigid syntax
It's not.
A certain order has just become common so any other will sound weird, but still be correct. English is a lot more rigid.

>adverbs
German adverbs are no different from their adjectives.

Sounding natural is part of the learning process, a lot of the things that are asked in C2 exams are used to verify whether one knows which option is the most natural.

>adjective and adverbs are the same thing
Yeah nah, only modaladverbien

When do adverbs ever differ from the adjective? I honestly can't think of any right now.

I'm trying Danish. I'm disappointed that there's no speaking exercises. That's really the only point of learning this language.

I've just started and have been using memrise on and off. Helpful post, thanks.

>tfw want to learn a language but none would be useful in australia
except chinese but fuck that