東亞/東亜/동아/East Asia

孔子 Edition

Invited:
中華 China (大陆 Mainland, 臺灣 Taiwan, 香港 Hong Kong, 澳門 Macao)
日本 Japan
한국/조선 Korea
Moнгoл yлc Mongolia
Anyone interested in East Asia

FAQ

What are some good resources for learning East Asian languages?

Japanese:
See the Japanese thread: Korean:
youtube.com/watch?v=Fg4tlyqp2JE
howtostudykorean.com/unit0/
talktomeinkorean.com/curriculum/
mykoreancoach.com/korean-listening-training/
dongsa.net/

Mandarin:
learnnc.org/lp/pages/6427
resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/pronunciation/
resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/
mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php
gloss.dliflc.edu

Other Languages:
Ask in the thread. Even if it’s obscure, someone will probably have some suggestions.

Isn't Sup Forums blocked in Mainland China?
No, likely because so few Chinese come to Sup Forums, Sup Forums itself isn't blocked. However, because Google services are throttled and the captcha is owned by Google, in order to post, Chinese posters must use a Sup Forums pass to bypass the captcha, as it never loads. Chinese IPs are also blocked from posting on Sup Forums without a pass.

东亚*

FPBP

忧郁的台湾乌龟
憂鬱的臺灣烏龜

안녕 친구들

Kyopo fella or waygook?
>tfw literally living in a state without much Korean population despite its population

외국인

(You)는?

어느 주에?

FL (transplant from CA tho). Not much Asian here to begin with actually.

아 난 CA에 살아

근데 all of the 한국말할수 있는 사람이 LA에서 있어

>항상 혼자 공부하기
>그 느낌

Try going to Sunnyvale if you live in the Bay.
Sunnyvale은 McDonald's가 맥도날드라고 한글 간판이 있는데야
>tfw went a college in the Bay Area
>two Korean groceries in Sunnyvale and there's one or two in Oakland catering to Berkeley students

SD and OC (Fullerton, Irvine, you name it) have good # of Koreans as well.

Not sure about like 'Jefferson' part or inland like Sacramento. Those parts are completely alien to me

Ah well, I am not from any of those areas but if I go near them I'll take a look

It's funny that Koreans think Koreans are everywhere in CA but actually Koreans only live in LA area (LA, OC, SD) and some in the Bay. Even in the Bay, I would say Seattle or Dallas have more Koreans than the Bay area. Koreans in the Bay area end up going to SoCal to get Korean stuffs or go elsewhere for cheaper living.

wtf you saying bout sunnyvale?

支持东亚thread

OldBoy 2003 was

Damn...........

안녕 친구들. 오늘은 좀 시원하네.

Korean here from Oakland who doesn't speak a word of Korean.

San Jose is the nicest and cleanest for a Korean fresh off the plane. But, transportation sucks and it's the most boring. Try grabbing a place on the peninsula in Palo Alto, San Mateo or Mountain View.

San Francisco is the most convenient since transportation is all there, but there are way way more Chinese who will make you hate yourself for being Asian.

Oakland/East Bay is the fastest growing and is much cleaner and safer this year than previous. There have been at least 10 new Korean businesses opening just in the last few months alone. And a lot of space and land is being bought by Korean business owners to bring in more Koreans to push out poor chinks.

>Oakland/East Bay
So Koreans are doing what hipsters are doing in other shithole cities? I hope Koreans to develop that area for the fuck's sake as the Bay is too expensive and there should be some habitable neighborhoods for someone to stay there for rising housing price. Palo Alto is totally fucked, 1.5 million for 1000 ft house
I said Sunnyvale is Korean central in SF area.

您好。

查到了!

不懂

除了我还有没有住在美国的中国人

I tried to translate "checked" to chink. I guess it was the wrong translation to use.

华侨*
只有你一人

没有共产党就没有新中国
没有共产党就没有新中国
没有共产党就没有新中国
没有共产党就没有新中国
没有共产党就没有新中国
我很爱习大大!

查过了 would make more sense i think
查到 generally means found something

今天上廁所還沖水,對於我這種崇洋媚外的舉動,而漠視了14億中國人的文化和感受,我表示非常遺憾。

>查过了
Fug, looks like you're right. Haven't been using much chink these days.

呆在这太久,中文差不多都忘了。
海外的人都住在 NY/CALI 吧

You should. It's extremely useful.

Do 華僑 hate 中国共産党?

为了我的中文课,我最近去纽约法拉盛采访中国人,他们都有点尴尬,有可能很少跟非中国人说中文 哈哈

I might be translating some indie English game into chink >for free some time in the future, but there isn't any confirmation yet.

yes. we will join up and kill some more commies once the time comes

It's always weird at first to hear a non Chinese person speak Chinese, but it's also really nice to know that someone went through the hardship of learning Chinese
How'd you like flushing?

no, hating is for immature teenagers

That would be awesome of you. Maybe post about it here one day.

很多在大城市
大学读在美国的会移到其它州的

Pretty good. I've only been there a few times so far as I've only recently moved to NYC for college. I ordered some 羊肉串 in Chinese and the woman selling them looked like she saw a ghost or something. Once I have some time I'd definitely like to start studying some Cantonese again so I can communicate in the Manhattan Chinatown since it's much closer to me than the Flushing one.

It's a long shot, but do they have a study program for min chinese/fuzhounese? A large portion of the recent migrants in New York are from Fujian and speak the dialect. I've honestly never heard of an American guy speak it but I know the reactions would be hilarious to watch

There's a lot of Taiwanese teachers at my college who can speak Taiwanese Minnan, but since Taiwanese is part of the Southern Min dialects and Fuzhounese is Eastern Min, I don't think they're mutually intelligible. However I have found some resources for Eastern Min online, maybe I'll have to study a bit sometime and head down to 小福州 in the Two Bridges area to converse with people.

>I know the reactions would be hilarious to watch
Chinese people definitely love it when non-Chinese can speak dialects. When I was in 遵义 my friends liked teaching me some 遵义话 words. I really would like to learn a dialect, but resources are hard to come by, and I'd probably end up having to use resources written in Mandarin. I studied some Shanghainese before, but I never got to use it in Shanghai since there's so many 外地人. Actually, Glossika has resources for Hakka and Wenzhounese.

I've been studying some Uyghur recently but even here in NYC, there's basically no Uyghurs. Even the "Uyghur restaurants" here are run by Uzbeks.