Okay aspergers. Next month I am traveling to Edmonton to study abroad for six months, is there anything I should know...

Okay aspergers. Next month I am traveling to Edmonton to study abroad for six months, is there anything I should know? LIke the weather, people, culture, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

kijiji.ca/b-real-estate/edmonton/c34l1700203
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton#Climate
youtube.com/watch?v=MlA6oEs3C18
youtube.com/watch?v=cs_eMqI1MIQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes.

Edmonton is a total fucking shithole. Literally nothing to do if you don't like hockey and -30c weather.

Everyone is an unemployed oil worker that drives an $80,000 ford f-150

>Edmonton

Shit weather, shit people, shit """culture"""
No reason to move to that shithole unless you're making big boy bux on the patch.

inb4 asspained Edmontonians, you know it's true

There's always west ed :^)

Why fucking Edmonton? Why not Toronto or Montreal?
Coming to Canada and staying in Edmonton is like going to Chile and staying in [insert shitty irrelevant tier-3 large town here] .

OP is crying right now

Why would you go to Edmonton

>Toronto
>Montreal
Coming to Canada and staying in either of those cities is like going to Chile but ending up and staying in Argentina.

Thats a really retarded comparison, man. It doesn't even make sense.

I fucked up that much?

>implying Alberta as a whole isn't total shit

Calgary is alright though I guess

Nah hating every single city in Canada is a proud Canadian pastime. Edmonton is fucking boring, even people that live their agree, but its a real "Canadiana" kind of city so its good if you want to see a slice of real Canadian life.

Come to Halifax retard

Edmontons claim to fame is having the biggest mall in Canada

Other than that, it's boring as fuck

You didn't fuck up
Anything outside of Toronto or Montreal (maybe Vancouver idk) is just plain and typical Canadian that's all. You'll still find stuff to do.

I guess it's being blown out of proportion but Edmonton is definitely kind of a shithole. If you're studying it probably won't be so bad, maybe you'll meet some OK people and have an alright time.
Personally I would never want to live in Edmonton, temporarily or permanently.

How easy is it to live in Montreal and only speak english? Seems like that would be rough.

I guess, I will meet people and hang with them probably the 70% of time. Its just I dont understand when someone says a city is boring, what the fuck does that even mean?

If I can go to a pub, drink some beers, go to the cinema from time to time, go to a park and buy some books I am set.

What a fun city even means?

There are literally no jobs in the maritimes.

Concerts, nightclubs with sexy women, festivals, events, etc

If you're not into that stuff Edmonton is okay I guess

You're people are other

>Edmonton in winter
Nothing to worry about OP. Just pack shorts and tank tops.

How can a city not have stripclubs or concerts?

Obviously edmonton has stripclubs. It's a city filled with tonnes of young single men who come over for work and then leave. I don't know if alberta has full nudity though, it's p cool in ontario where the bitches take everything off.

Yeah we do, but there's lots of things to do in Edmonton, there's festivals, parks, pubs, people are pretty friendly for the most part don't listen to these guys. Winters are cold but you'll get used to them. Lots of movie theatre, live theatres if you're into that shit. You just have to look for things, they are here.

Argentina is a million times more white than either one of those cities

What the fuck are you doing, Augusto, why fucking Edmonton? Do you really want to get shot by injuns and somalis that much?

>weather

As of late it's been 20-25C outside with a lot of short periods of rain. Our winters have been fairly mild as of late but.

>people

Stick to educated circles if you want quality people. Stay out of downtown and the north side at night. The urban poor are usually natives; most are alright but there are often gang affiliations so be wary. The city's about 60% white, 10% native and the rest are Filipinos, Chinese and Indians. Since you're going to be studying-- prepare to learn Cantonese, fucker, otherwise you're going to make about 2.

>culture
Most of Edmonton's culture is drinking and watching hockey. People take pride in their simplicity, but still maintain airs of superiority because of the city's status as provincial capital and the moribund Edmonton Oilers. If you want to make friends, don't talk shit about the Oilers, even though they're objectively an awful, awful team and should've been disbanded a decade ago.

Edmonton is known as the festival city but most of our festivals are mediocre and far too expensive. The most famous festival, which you'll be too late for, is in late July but there's other events spread throughout the year, but don't expect very much. Whyte Ave is where you want to go to get drunk and meet people to fuck.

Make sure you have lodging before you get here, since the city has a problem with affordable housing. Consequently, we have a problem with homelessness.

as someone who lives in Edmonton I can tell you not to be discouraged by what everyone else is saying. We have a harsh winter and shitty hockey team (getting better), but the summer here is filled with festivals, concerts, events, parades and the river valley is great to do summer activities in. Edmonton offers a lot if you look for it, areas like Whyte ave are great for shopping checking out cool stores in the day and a whole block of bars for drinking and fun. In the winter its a little bit lackluster as its cold as fuck, but if you like bars, movies and hockey then you'll fit fine in Edmonton. the people are friendly, accommodating and a very canadian area to be in. Don't worry OP you'll be fine and enjoy yourself.

kijiji.ca/b-real-estate/edmonton/c34l1700203

apartments, condos if you want your own place.
roomrental, roommates if you're ok with sharing.

Use street view in Google maps to get an idea what the area around the apartment is like. Edmonton transit is also integrated with Google maps if you want to find out how long it takes to get anywhere.

OP on suicide watch after reading all these posts about Edmonton

there's nothing to do there but drink

also it is a frozen hell hole

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton#Climate

>Edmonton
>culture

Anywhere west of Quebec is pretty much America lite.

Nah, you're just a anti-social person that needs to be drunk to socialize.

Calgary is better since it is closer to the mountains and parks.

>Albertanese culture

It's just Albertan you retard

meet me at whyte ave senpai. ill show you the life here.
everyone's just jealous of our superior oil money and their allowance from us

Don't worry Chile, you could ask about literally any Canadian city and everyone would still you it's shit.

Hating on other provinces/cities is what we do.

>north side meme
I don't get this
if anything, it's millwoods you need to stay away from, those damn pakis shanking everyone
it's gonna be like this anywhere you go in the world
>stay away from x

>Hating on other provinces/cities is what we do.
Especially Quebec. Fuck those faggots

Looking at this thread its seems so.

What happened to the happy go lucky Canadian?

If that's what you want you'll have a great time m8
Calling Edmonton a "shithole" is fucking retarded it's a well developed comfy city and if you're not into getting shitfaced every week in big clubs with random people Edmonton is great for you. We call everything outside of Toronto/Montreal "boring" but you might as well call it comfy. Nice people, cozy in winter with heating, you'll love it.

Nah it's one of the most bilingual cities in the world, I used to live there and didn't know French for the first year at all. As long as you don't go to less relevant places often and stick to downtown everyone knows English and even in the less relevant places most people do. There's also a district called west island that's completely English speaking.

Canadian way of saying "how are you" is often "What are you at", so don't get confused.

wat
Literally never heard that

weather wise if you want some good winters just move to Sudbury or Timmins, basically edmonton 2.0's and Timmins is colder than Edmonton on average.

average yearly snowfall for:

Timmins 311cm
Sudbury 263cm
Edmonton 123cm

never heard of that

>not Where y'at
baka

It's fairly cold, and the people love drinking and hockey. That's pretty much all there is to know.

Y'all cowards don't even East Coast.

I usually say "how are ya" or "how's it goin"

t. Seamus MacFlannigan

w-what

Oh so it's an *actual* Canadian term
Maritimes have all the stuff people think of as Canadian stereotypes

wut.

Not him but that's what and everyone I know says. What the fuck do you say?

t. prairie fag

People are like that in real life. Shitting on all things Canadian is popular here on Sup Forums, so we try to emulate that to be cool. There's also the whole American thing, where the largest cities in the US seem to have way more to do all the time; we grew up hearing of cool shit in the US that we would never get access to despite many of us living so close to the border.

On another topic, I know a Chilean guy studying here (Hamilton), and he seemed enamored with the place despite it being the shittiest city in Canada. He said there's tons to do here when compared to where he used to live, so he was enjoying it.

it's actually a nigger term

t. torontonian

It's got pretty high crime and unemployment rates...

At least it's not Winnipeg.

>Y'all

No Canadian says that, you're an imposter!

GTA here

Like Caribbean? I thought I knew most of the slang but never heard of that one.

Fuck you, espèce de connard

youtube.com/watch?v=MlA6oEs3C18

"I'm thinking of naming my pet bear Winnie the Pooh!"
"Why Winnie, Sir?"
"From my hometown, Winnipeg."
"Why Pooh, Sir?"
"From my hometown, Winnipeg."

>weather
it gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer, if you're driving and have no experience driving in winter get winter tires or you'll end up in the ditch on the henday or highways

>people
stay away from natives and 118th and you'll be fine

People are saying the city is boring, you can do literally all the same things in every city. Neat events happen outside the city but are usually in the summer. Go skiing or snowboarding in Jasper or a hockey game in the new arena.

youtube.com/watch?v=cs_eMqI1MIQ

Winterpeg, Manisnowba! Haha!

"Winnipeg Is a Frozen Shithole" – 4:32
"Winnipeg Is a Dogshit Dildo" – 3:53
"Winnipeg Is Fucking Over" – 6:25
"Winnipeg Is Steven Stapleton's Armpit" – 2:52
"Die Winnipeg Die Die Die Fuckers Die" – 7:01
"Winnipeg as Mandatory Scat Feed" – 6:49
"Winnie the Dog Pooh (Not Half Remix)" – 4:07
"Winnipeg Is a Boiling Pot of Cranberries (Fanny Remix)" – 4:21
"Die Winnipeg Die Die Die Fuckers Die (Spreading the Hepatitis SKM-ETR Style)" – 5:17

Edmonton isn't flashy like Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver, but it's very representative of Canada. Nice people, cozy pubs, not presumptuous.

LAD I LIVE IN EDMONTON

Welcome to our great city!

Weather: Cold ass winters, hot ass summers.

People: Should be Friendly, don't whistle downtown or on Whyte Ave. Just like any larger city really

Culture: Mix of Albertan with a fair deal of Standard Big-City stuff.

Let me know if you have any other Questions I'd be glad to help you out!

This guy pretty much sums it up, Thanks for not being as rude as the other people.

Alberta doesn't suck and if you think that you're just a jealous Frenchman

nice

avoid 118th ave and you'll be fine