What's the most cyberpunk looking city in the world at the moment?

What's the most cyberpunk looking city in the world at the moment?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yEowbmxLqEM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

where is that?

Hong Kong

Tokyo

Probably Tokyo or somewhere in Nippan

im retarded its Moscow

Probably Hong Kong. Lots of Chinese cities come close though.

Tokyo doesn't look cyberpunk at all, it's too clean.
Maybe Hong Kong, it has all that neon shit and looks run down.
Or some random mainland Chinese megacity.

Moscow.
It depends what you mean really, in terms of big neon stuff that is dieing out. Tokyo and HK are probably the best for it but LED lights are far better economically so everyone is moving away from neon.

I think Tokyo will always be "the" Cyberpunk city I don't think any other city in the world has a sprawl that continuous, lots bright lights, lots of density, lots of layers etc... Tokyo has the old shrine, houses and back roads mixed into modern areas. This to me is a very cyberpunk feel.

Hong Kong is probably the only other top city its more tropical and gritty than Tokyo but also really dense, well lit and cool to explore. I think which you prefer for this depends on how gritty you want it to be.

I think from pictures Chinese cities can look cyberpunk but they are too sparse and have no organic growth to them so I don't think they qualify apart desu. Seoul might be a good contender but haven't been.

singa monga

I don't see why clean disqualifies it. Japan is pretty much what spawned the idea of cyberpunk etc so its pretty silly to say that it isn't.

Its about having modern and old together really. Places in China are just miles of commie blocks with large roads and then a district with tonnes of skyscrapers. Its pretty dystopian but I don't think its really cyberpunk

>Of Japan's influence on the genre, William Gibson said, "Modern Japan simply was cyberpunk."

go away you retarded weeb
fuck off to lainchan

>Its about having modern and old together really.
You just made that up.

a fuucckking LEAFFF

HongKong in the night is cyberpunk and fucking cool

New York City.

Nah

I think Seoul qualifies.

Lol no, that atmosphere is completely different. I'd say Honk Kong

T. New Yorker

Yah, bro.
What else?

Cyberpunk has to be exotic. With foreign (usually Asian) script everywhere and strange architecture.

yeh

The Latin script looks cool, is practical and has more fonts than anything else.
And NYC has weird buildings, old buildings, massive differences between rich and poor.
There is nothing more cyberpunk than New York City.

I agree with you that Cyberpunk shouldn't exclusively be East Asian and that it could work with different building styles, New York isn't very cyber punk looking. It has more of a diesel punk aesthetics, ESPECIALLY considering it's history. Other cities though, especially ones like Tokyo developed much quickly in more recent times and in different ways, and it makes them look more cyberpunk.

Honestly though, I think the first completely cyber punk city will be in Russia or, if it doesn't collapse which is unlikely, China.

if you actually walked around in NYC you'd understand how horribly wrong you are

yare yare
-teleports pic-
-HAYAI

...owari da

Its cg

its not ? its lotte world tower

I have. I've walked around in NYC and in Tokyo. They don't feel cyberpunk in any way, really. I've even gone into shady back alleys in Kabukicho. It doesn't feel like cyberpunk.
The only places that sort of feel cyberpunk (but not really) are Chinese cities at night, because they really lean into the neon lighting. Everything is glowing and blinking and shit, and even river boats have neon lights on them.

Have you ever been to NYC most of it is pretty fundamentally not-Cyberpunk. Especially considering the road layout.

And interchanges, man. And elevated highways.
There's something really impressive and futuristic about them.
We don't have them here in Norway.

Fucking interchanges, man.

I know but that pic is cg
Look closely

Moscow ofc

yeeaah why is it cg??

I mean the photo Britain posted is CG you fucking retard

What does that fancy building stand for?

Name one city that looks cyberpunk on pedestrian level.
And what, in your opinion, is a cyberpunk road layout?

I will say personally that the I believe Pudong area of Shanghai is pretty damn cyberpunk looking right now.

I agree in a way that Japan is perhaps too clean and well developed to actually feel cyberpunk but if you just stand and take in the views and the music/sound effects that play constantly (i sorta describe Japanese cities of sounding like a carnival desu...) then it has a very cyberpunk aesthetic. Visually I think you can find some of the most cyberpunk shots in Japan.

This looks modern but there's nothing punk-ish about it.

>Visually I think you can find some of the most cyberpunk shots in Japan.
youtu.be/yEowbmxLqEM

dunnoo, maybe a corporate designed city with a megacorp at its epicenter, very centralized

post more comfy Chinese/Japanese cities please

If you like interchanges and just tonnes of elevated highways then Japan is also great no?

Well I don't really think any city truly is cyberpunk in feel because I guess its more fiction or an "ideal". In terms of "looking" in Tokyo and even Osaka I can walk around and take lots of pictures of take in views that to me pretty close to that.

In terms of an actual pedestrian experience its probably more difficult, I would say HK for me on that front.

In terms of road layout I think a wide and long grid system is generally bad, any sort of natural growth probably lends better to it. I don't think a grid or more organised system is wrong though as I believe HK had lots of grid patterns, as long as the buildings are close enough to keep that dense sensation then its okay.

Do you want me to post some OC, to break your illusion?

there are no blobs of fat jewish feminists from brooklyn in our a e s t h e t i c Cyberpunk future too
so NYC is out of the question

yes

How is this breaking any illusion? If this was taken at night, it would be core cyberpunk. The blend of pure concrete, neon lights, fancy skyscrapers looming in the background and the traditional structure in the middle all make for a great cyber scene. Japan is clean and safe, but it's still full of grit and neon. That's what cyberpunk aesthetics are all about.

>he deleted all his pictures
I guess he realized his idea of cp was wrong all along.

Don't talk shit to him you fucking moron.

sure is

another one

Warsaw

my vote

More like sand. It looks coarse and rough and irritating and as if it gets everywhere.

nah, sand doesn't refract light like that

look at the "bloom" (for lack of a better word) of the lights through the clouds

Some LA. Blade Runner sorta city scapes

Moar El Lay

LA LA LA

City of Angels

>El Lay
More like ENOLA GAY amirite

Angelic City

here's a nice one for ya

Gotta love that LA smog...

And finally... Blade Runner's take on LA... not too far off.

Whoops. Failed to attach.

Half-life 2

One of our cities duh. Tokyo might have been Cyberpunk like 30 years ago. Ever since they started cleaning shit up it turned to some Sci-Fi city that ain't Cyberpunk.

maybe more decopunk

Baku in Azerbaijan

Probably Shanghai.

Hong Kong

Shenzen