Am I getting memed?

Am I getting memed?

So I'm Italian (born and raised) currently doing some English education in Toronto. I'm allowed to work with my student visa. So I got a job as a bartender at and Italian restaurant /bar.

So first day of work, he starts calling me paisano.. So I reply to him in Italian...he then says >oh I'm Italian but I don't speak it but I understand most of it... I ask him where he was born, he says Toronto... Like his parents as well.

Whenever he talks to me he says >us Italians >we >our country (when referring to Italy and during the euro cup especially.

I found it to be pretty interesting.

Is it like this in all of Canada? People holding on to where their grandparents were born? Is it just "Italians"?

>Bonasera, Bonasera, what have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully?

Fuck Daniel Alves, I hate Barcelona.

No but Americans do that shit too.

Muh heritage scum are the absolute fucking worst. It's the least funny of all American memes, including the one where you get shot.

It doesn't bother me.. I just find it funny.

His parents are also born in canada?
Does he have access to italian citizenship because of his grandparents? In that case he would be technically right when he calls himself italian.

Not sure. Again it doesn't upset me. I just find it funny.

Woodbridge confirmed

Dude, if you're not born or raised in Italy then you're not fucking Italian, the same applies to any nationality.
Muh heritage is cancer.

Nah, i was just trying to understand what goes through the mind of a nigga like that.
I mean, when people have euro ancestry here they may brag a bit about it, but i've never heard anyone literally identify himself with a nationality if he doesn't even speak the language.
I know, that's why i said "technically". Though having citizenship is supposed to imply some basic knowledge of language, history and culture of the country.

Guy in op looks like my cunt cousin who used to steal my toys

eh i was the only non-filipino asian kid in a mostly portugese/italian/filipino/arab high school/lived in mostly italian neighborhoods in toronto and hamilton.

most show italian/portugese pride during euro but nationalism isn't a thing for anyone here in their day to day lives. you don't really go out of your way to show your loyalty to any place like they do in the states. most would probably show interest in italian culture but its impossible to not be canadian as a young person in canada.

A paper doesn't make you Italian/German/British/Chinese/South African/Congolese etc

Those people are just cringey, national identity has nothing to do with legal papers or some ancestor you had half a century ago whose language you don't even speak.

My friend calls himself Italian.
I think he thinks it's a race, and that he's a part of it.

you think they fucked?

italians in americas are distinct and hold some weird fusion of italian and american culture. So I think it's normal for them. it's the same with russians.
germans, scottish,english and irish heritage people generally lost any connection to europe. not saying it's bad, just how it is

>manlets
>fucking
Nice joke

When will manlets learn?

He's 5'8, that's barely a manlet.

now you done it.

I bet you're not italian but just some random Canadian shitposting things that neverb happened

>So I'm Italian

muh heritage bro my grandma was half Italian on her mother's side

Yes, canadians have no culture so they do that

I realize this must be cringy as fuck, but you can use that to your advantage at some point I'm sure. Like when you ask for a raise!
>You know us Italians, we need to stick together eh!? So how about that little extra? ;)