Germans

Germans
How do you know when to use "der", "das" and "die"???

It's so confusing

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_grammar#Cases
schlager.radiopaloma.de/player/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Der when hunting.
Das when boot.
Die when war.

You don't. The system doesn't make sense at all.

memorize which one to use for every single thing that exists

I think they expect you to memorize everything

How do you know when to use "el" or "la"?
Imagine this but with cases thrown into the mix too.
>said the one with 7 fucking cases
We both have three genders, yet you have 7 while we only have 4 cases.
You're in no position to talk.
You don't have to, because the function of a verb or a preposition forces certain cases as their objects.

ITT: Degenerate languages don't have an idea how to use cases.
Funnily enough your ancestors all were able to do it.

what's a preposition?

>cases
There's a logic behind them, though.

Yes, there is logic in your cases as is in ours.
Because they are mostly the same.
Go back to school.

Can someome recomend me a video about pronunciation?

You just have to get used to it.

Germans suck ass

der - male
das - plural
die - female

want to get a drink, handsome

I did German cases by guesswork tbqh. The articles themselves were also a mystery.

I just speak the language brah, I legitimately don't know what a preposition or predicate is. I still received A's on all my papers in college.

>American education
I'm sorry things had to be this way for you.

Isn't "die" used for plurals?

For example "die Handys", "die Kinos", "die Chips", etc.

>implying anyone knows rules even for his own language

Short answer: yes.

Singular | Plural
Nominative
Genitive
Dative
Accusative

Male:
der | die
des | der
dem | den
den | die
Female:
die | die
der | der
der | den
die | die
Neuter:
das | die
des | der
dem | den
das | die

As you can see, plural is always the same.

Fun fact:
In EVERY Indo-European language nominative and accusative forms of neuter nouns are identical.

We are taught grammar in school.
You are not?

The word endings give it away for most. Genders are straightforward, die for feminine, der for masculine, das for neuter.

Thread is giving me horrible flashbacks to learning this shit in school

#notallamericans
I received a fairly solid education where grammar and languages are concerned. But then again, American education seems to focus on rote memorization and I actually learned the concepts. Some people never bothered to go beyond "pass x text."

>fun fact
What is latin

>text
test*

Show me an example where this is not true.
You will find none.

And people remember the basics. We're taught mathematics as well but people usually remember just the things they'll need in life.
You don't need to know the rules to know how to speak your mother tongue. Really, most of what we learned in Slovene classes was bullshit. Underlining different parts of sentences, drawing symbols, dissecting each and every word,...

>In EVERY Indo-European language nominative and accusative forms of neuter nouns are identical.
I don't think modern Dutch has accusative forms.

>You don't need to know the rules to know how to speak your mother tongue.
Most Germans are unable to speak German correctly. This includes Austrians.
Of course it has.
It has to have.
Even English has an "objective case", which is the accusative grammatically.

Germans are so pretentious about their education. It's funny really because it's actually not that good

I can't speak for all of Germany.
I attended a "Gymnasium" in Schleswig-Holstein, which is said to be the worst Bundesland when education is concerned.
We learned grammar intensively.
I felt genuine delight when I learned how to use subjunctive correctly.

>makes fun of me
>still can't even answer the OP's question about difference between die, das, and der

We really don't. Only in some predefined ancient expressions.

after a while it just clicks

>Be British
>Won two World Wars against Germany
>Still has to learn German

Top cuck

It's genus, numerus and casus.
I thought I made it clear hereRemember, articles and adjectives have to have the same genus, numerus and casus as the noun they are describing.
I'm sorry for your loss.
But then, you don't differentiate between "I" and "me" at all? I don't think so.

I seriously hope you don't count dialects as speaking German "incorrectly".

I don't, but what our youth is speaking isn't a dialect, it's butchery. It's German learned by turks, sprinkled with anglicisms taught to Germans.
It's disgusting.

you can't explain it in layman's terms? it's like trying to read a textbook. don't be so autistic

Ik, me / mij

But we just don't use cases commonly.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_grammar#Cases

Random question, is it right to roll your Rs (sorry, don't know a better way to put it) like Till Lindemann? Or, is it right to simply make the "err" sound such as in "rot?"

This great mystery for me must be solved.

The English R is an exception and not found in any other language I know of.
Our R is also not rolled like the Spanish R (on the tongue), but it is rolled in the throat.
And to get to your question: No it's not normal. He overdoes it a little bit to sound, well, edgy, I suppose.

Well, as long as your personal pronouns have cases, your language hasn't totally lost it.
But well, if subject and object have the same form anyway, then the statement is still true.
They are the same.

>The English R is an exception and not found in any other language I know of.
Really? Huh, I never knew that.

>Our R is also not rolled like the Spanish R (on the tongue), but it is rolled in the throat.
Ok, that's what I thought. Thank you.

English is also interesting in the way it preserved the /w/ sound in "What" for example. In Low German it's "Watt" or "Wadd" depending on whom you ask, but the W is pronounced Sup Forums (think V as "Viking") instead of /w/.

Standard Dutch has the English R at the end of words.

If you have a word like radar, then the first R is a rolling R and the second R is an American R. Although they put more emphasis on it.

Actually it's kinda funny how anyone taught german as a second language will learn about the gentive case, yet in germany it's starting to die out.
In any case even native english speakers frequently make grammatical mistakes, I blame texting desu.

The city dialect from Leiden only uses American R"s.

My aunt migrated to the netherlands, and I often heard her speak dutch, yet I failed to notice this.

We're in between Germany and English. So it kind of makes sense that our language is also in between.

But both the Germans and the British changed their pronunciation.

THIS

>You don't have to, because the function of a verb or a preposition forces certain cases as their objects.

no shit sherlock, but he is asking how do you find out which genus a word is

you don't
you have to memorize every fucking single shitty Artikel when learning vocab, because otherwise your speech won't make any sense

there is no easy way to

There are rules for certain suffixes though.
-chen
-lein
and others are always neuter for example.

>Implying it's different for Italian

I know but those rules don't cover the majority of words

I am no easy language learner but in my 8 years of German class at high-school I wasn't able to learn it properly.

And they said Germans are logical and consistent.

Well, Italian genders and German genders of nouns are almost always different.
I mean, you have a female moon, we have a male moon, you have a male sun, we have a female sun.
Germanic genders are quite different from Italic genders.

you will literally just sound silly, but in German it fucks up your cases and everything because they all share those 4 Artikels

You know, I had 6 years of German in school and I found the rules fairly easy. And I understood everything they said because it resembles Dutch a bit.
But when I have to write it myself or have to speak it then it becomes troublesome.

So lately I've been listening a lot of German radio in hope to improve a bit. And I've found that - as I already understand it anyway - this is a pretty good way to get familiar with formulating correct sentences and using the appropriate words.

>die Butter
Also for italian isn't it pretty straight forward? Like -o and -i will always be masculine, -a is feminine?

I like this thread desu senpai

I don't know about Italian, I only learned Latin in school.
And there are quite some tricky words.
You just have to know them as they come, he is not wrong about that, there are some helping things, but most of the time it's memorizing things.

schlager.radiopaloma.de/player/

>tfw I'm getting familiar with the shitty songs

exactly.
There are some irregular ones but not many and not as common.

Like literally two or three for every chapter in Italian for Dummies

Anyway, I like German because shouting in it sounds really nice.

Also I am Czech, not Italian

Depending on what you mean.

If you mean inflecting words based on the case, they have an exact system for that as every other language.
If you mean assigning genders to words, I think languages don't have a system for it, it's pretty random. Some languages even differ in terms of what word is which gender.
However the words do follow some kind of pattern. For example words that end with vowels are usually feminine.

But whatever the case is, if you know enough versions of a word and you know how the system works you can trace back every other information on the word.
E.g. if you know a singular genitive form and plural nominative of some word that is distinct enough in these forms you can easily find out which group it belongs to and know how to use its other forms correctly.

PLEASE
SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO MAKE SENTENCES IN GERMAN

You combine a subject, a predicate and one or multiple objects together. Adverbial phrases are optional.
Make sure to declinate the nouns correctly, and make sure to conjugate the verbs correctly.

Could you give me some examples?

Der Hund beißt den Mann.
The dog bites the man.
[Subject] [Predicate] [Object]
Note, German has a so called "V2-Stellung" this means that in all main clauses the predicate/verb has to be the second thing in the sentence. Keep in mind though, this doesn't apply to the whole predicate. The so called "Satzklammer" (Sentence Bracket) is a thing.
In English it'd be:
The dog has bitten the man.
See how the predicate is one block?
Well, in German, it'd form a bracket.
Der Hund hat den Mann gebissen.
Here, "hat" is the important bit and is the first bracket, while "gebissen" is the closing bracket.
Also, keep in mind, as long as objects and subject are distinctive in their forms, you can put them anywhere in the sentence you like.
This doesn't work in English.
Den Mann beißt der Hund.
Still means "the dog bites the man". God bless cases.

wrong
der male
die plural/ female
das for neutral things like it in englisch

>In EVERY Indo-European language nominative and accusative forms of neuter nouns are identical.
Not when they're animate and plural.

There is no system. You have to remember the gender of words.

However, even if you use articles wrongly, pretty much anyone will still get what you're trying to say and it's fairly common for foreigners to fail at this so you're not going to disappoint anyone.