I want to learn a slavic language. I've narrowed it down to Serbian and Russian. Which do I choose

I want to learn a slavic language. I've narrowed it down to Serbian and Russian. Which do I choose

Other urls found in this thread:

learnrussian.rt.com/lessons/
memrise.com/course/1123052/russian-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Russian is infinitely more useful.

How is that a choice aniki
>200 mil speakers and the greatest body of literature in history
vs
>serbs

Serbian sounds nicer and their women are hotter.

serbocroatian

Jebem ti sunce

>greatest body of literature in history
I chuckled. Thanks, Ivan.

Russian.

Serbo-Croatian of course.

Russian literature definitely is a big plus. Only real difficulty is learning the cyrillic alphabet from scratch where as serbo-croat is viable with the latin alphabet already. Plus I am able to speak to all of the yugoslav countries.

russian

The alphabet can literally be learned in an hour even if you're retarded.

Cyrillic is scary at first but really easy. Just don't use duolinguo.

Russian cyrillic is extremely simple compared to english script. No diphthongs, silent letters are extremely rare, you can start reading russian intelligibly within a day

Иф йoy тхинк йoy кaн'т лeapн ит, тхeн йoy peaллй ape дyмб aмepикaин.

What do you recommend then?

And knowing russian, I am able to easily communicate with people from Belarus, Ukraine, and Kazakhstan, and other former USSR states?

I have a book that introduces you to letters group by group. You learn basic grammar, a tiny bit of vocabulary, and pronunciation as well as letters the first ten lessons. The next 15 are about new very basic vocabulary and heavily focus on grammar.

From 25 to 75, it's only vocabulary and exceptions/advanced grammar.

75 to 90 are (easy) original Russian texts.

The only downside is that the vocabulary is super awkwardly chosen, and pretty heavy (you have about 100 words to memorise by lesson 10). Book is Méthode 90.

Assimil is way slower but also good.

I believe that Serbian would be easier to learn.

Nice fucking map, asshole. Half of the people don't even speak Slavic.

I would pick Russian. By far the most widely spoken, also it should make it easier to learn Serbian from there.

I wouldn't recommend Serbian. It has a lot of Durka words that you won't find in any other Slavic languages.

Do you want to achieve something by learning one of those languages, or are you doing it for fun?
I believe that Serbian would be easier, but still a challenge. Russian would be more useful.

Russian wtf

You'll even be able to understand some other slavic "languages" that way.

Hardly

So does Russian, believe it or not.

He is correct though my butthurt friend.

It depends.
Do you want to speak as you write or go the Russian way of writing "rossiya" yet saying "rassiya" because of their stupid and inconsistent rules?

Based Vuk Karadžić who saved us all from crap like that.

Yeah, but Russian is actually useful

t. 40% Russian "country"

Does Serbian have consistent stress?

I'd recommend lots of reading, learn basic grammar, get a vocabulary, and start braving whatever novels interest you. Thats how I taught myself english, which in hindsight was a massive mistake - english is too grammar-oriented, without the rules some things (articles and tenses, most of all) simply won't make any sense ever. Russian is different, its a very free-form language with a flexible sentence structure. Like chinese or latin, you can usually infer the meaning even if you shuffle the words.

>hardly

>meanwhile Russians actively communicate with non-Russian poles everyday

Russian, the only sensible option.

>their stupid and inconsistent rules?

Isn't that every language?

Russian and Polish are surprisingly close

Not officially, but in practice it's pretty similar in pronunciation to Czech (mostly on the first syllable).

Also, Serbian is not a language. Saying you want to learn Serbian is like saying you want to learn Hibernian English.

>mfw it's 2016 and there are still languages who don't adhere to this simple and basic principle:

>"Write as you speak and read as it is written."

FFS it's not that hard.

But he is right

I assume you know Russian.

>thinking languages started in a written form

>Only real difficulty is learning the cyrillic alphabet
if you are a total retard

Yes. Not a native speaker though.

Actually it's pretty retarded. Only little kids who can't read/write yet stick to that philosophy.

You'd be surprised by the average American.

There is a legitimate anti-intellectual culture in public schools.

Yes I know that but I feel like a twat saying "Serbo-Croatian" every time.

I dont understand a word of Russian, those replying to Ruskies are mostly diaspora fucks.

>making communication as easy and precise as possible is retarded
Sure thing Georgi.

> he actually thinks poles understand russians
it's as mutually intelligible as french is to italian

Well that's cool. America is really monolingual. It's only because I live in a 98% hispanic city that I know spanish.

>muh Balkan nationalism

Literally cancer

This. As a Russian speaker written Polish sometimes makes sense, sometimes it doesn't at all. Spoken Polish? Only some words here and there.

Al menos sabes un otro idioma

>don't use duolingo
i've been using russian duolingo for a little while and it's pretty good for vocab, but if you wanna learn grammar and shit you'll have to find something else
as a matter of fact, can anyone recommend any good russian grammar resources/books?

That's just the thing. Simple letters can't make writing "precise".

What do you do when the vowel is between "a" and "o".
What about the difference in the English "th" and "d"? How will you write that?

learnrussian.rt.com/lessons/

Some Russians understand written Polish enough though that they know what you guys are discussing.

Also, you being ignorant isn't proof that Polish and Russian aren't linguistically connected.

Yes and that is enough to understand general themes.

I've seen lots of poles on Sup Forums communicate with Russians using their respective languages. Although the Russians use a latinized Russia?

LookIt might be French only though LMAO

>I've seen lots of poles on Sup Forums communicate with Russians using their respective languages.

It's mostly Poles telling Russians to fuck off and vice versa.

We speak what I'd honestly call Tejanó though.

It's like bastardized spanish with English/Native American loanwords.

It confuses the illegals who come through.

I've seen them discussing Dostoevsky and Imperial Russia. Specifically the White Army.

Those conversations were civil, but yeah usually it's just semi-intelligible shitposting.

Learn Chinese or Russian.

russian learner here. learning cyrillic is the easy part. learning to read it quickly is what takes time.

>do something wrong/plan to do something wrong/have done something wrong/see something wrong being done
>suffer to repent
>end
that's whole of the russian literature for you, hope you've enjoyed it

but you have reduced vowels and palatalized consonants which are a bitch

I've actually read from a number of people that learning Chinese and then Japanese is the best way to become fluent in those languages.

Except most people do it the other way around and therefore Mandarin becomes much more difficult to learn.

Is "Russian --> other slavic languages" similar?
Like if you learn Russian first it helps you learn the rest quicker than vice versa.

Mother ---> Children?
(I'm triggering a lot of Slavs)

Russian definitely

>I want to learn a slavic language.
why
>I've narrowed it down to Serbian and Russian
why

>Is "Russian --> other slavic languages" similar?
No.

Maybe if you learn some interslavic but that is retarded as you would learn two languages.

Serbian is one of the most phonetic languages and some our songs make the learning of the language worth it.
Our curses are light years ahead of English.
But Russian is what i advise you to learn.

uči srpski bre da te ceo svet razume

You should learn Russian or Polish.

Russian has the most speakers and it's a really useful language on the Internet.

Polish also has a lot of speakers. Their country seems to be developing a lot, so you could potentially need it for work, what do I know. Has one of the hardest grammars in Slavic languages though, and pronounciation is a mass of harsh sounds.

You should only learn Serbo-Croatian if you're going to live in /ex-yu/ countires, which I doubt.

Also, if you learn Polish it will be easy to learn Serbian afterwards. We have practically the same grammar, 7 cases and all. Pronounciation will also be easier for you due to the fact that our language is completely phonetic and you will already know almost all the sounds in the language just by knowing Polish (you won't know the Lj and Đ sound).

Ni-čan idi ubij se,

u-ubi se! xDDDDD

You what

There's no Balkan nationalism at all, it's just not how I'm used to calling it. Same reason I end up calling the Netherlands "Holland"

Any tips where i can learn Russsian except on duolingo and RT?
I know Cyrilic and most pronunciations but duolingo is shity because it does not teach you even the personal pronouns like я, ты, oб, oнa, oнo eтц,,,

Regardless of which language you choose to learn, it will give you insight and better understanding of languages that many people do not get to appreciate. especially for Indo Euro languages. It is really fascinating.

French and Italian are very close. Having learned French makes reading Italian much much easier

what do you mean?

There's this guy called Vuk Karadzic, and he took our Slav language, and reformed the living shit out of it.

I can still understand 90% of other Slav speakers but oh man.... Karadzic removed ALL the nonsense and bullshit and caveman sounds and made everything 100% phonetic and I have a feeling you could learn Serbian language in like a week but learn Russian language in like a year.
They still have full on bullshit like letters changing the way they sound for no reason or purpose or explanation much like English, they still have these things that can not be defended by logic or reason of any kind.

A history of a people can be seen in their language: the expressions, the loan words, the meaning of words and how they have changed, or how they came to be. This in turn let's you appreciate the interaction between the languages and how they influence each other.

It's a bit hard to describe without being vague or pretentious.

>They still have full on bullshit like letters changing the way they sound for no reason or purpose or explanation much like English,

Yeah when I tried to learn Russian I got extremely pissed off by that dumb letters... "just remember the entire word and try not to think too much if the spelling makes sense"

fuck you

Try examples.

For example in Slavic language, Germans are called mute/retarded people because of the way their language sounded to the first Slavs or how Slavs call themselves "literate people" because everyone else they met at the time had runes instead of normal writting system, etc.

I figured you tried to say something like that, but I think Russian is very popular and doesn't fall into the "languages that many people do not get to appreciate" category

It's not about any single language. It's just a realisation.

maybe several hundred years ago

The best examples I could think of are military words.

A lot of Russian military words are from Ger,an, because a Russian tsar fascinated by Germany/Prussia tried to copy their military style in the 18th century.
And most of German military words are French loanwords from a time when French was considered a militaric language and France was the most threatening military/philosophical/scientific power in all of continental Europe

>Also, if you learn Polish it will be easy to learn Serbian afterwards. We have practically the same grammar, 7 cases and all. Pronounciation will also be easier for you due to the fact that our language is completely phonetic and you will already know almost all the sounds in the language just by knowing Polish (you won't know the Lj and Đ sound).
You are right about our cases, they are exactly the same, but for some reason I found Serbian to be surprisingly hard to understand.

Also - I wouldn't underestimate Serbian and Croatian - they have over 20 million users. Also - often those less popular languages may be quite beneficial.

memrise.com/course/1123052/russian-1/

there also 6 additional parts of this course there

the only irritating thing in Russian is that unstressed "o", imho

>200 mil speakers and the greatest body of literature in history
You mean "the most boring literature in history"?

Russian takes a ton of German, French, Latin and English words.

It makes it very impure and non-consistent imo. Serbian or even Ukrainian are much more easier languages to learn and write.

>"Serbo-Croatian is phonetic" meme
You still need to remember where and how the stress falls in words if you want to pronounce them correctly. This alone makes your orthography unpredictable too.

>cyrillic
>difficulty
takes 15 minutes if you're a drooling autistic person

Veel mitte.

Russian obviously. It's much more useful. What the fuck are you realistically going to do with Serbian?

I perfect English

I was born and Russia and Russian was my first language but I've grown into English.

Perfer

Damn phone

Polish. If not, then Czech or Croatian.

Not really. Even Slovak is closer to Russian.
Polish isn't close to East Slavic languages. It's the other way round. Some ES langs (Belarusian and Ukrainian) are closer to WS langs due to Polish influence on them during PLC times.

I'd say Czech; beautiful country, beautiful women, cheap beer, bro-tier guys, no blydos, they're like the German Slavs.

Tчaнкc

>Completely unintelligible Serbian is closer than freely understandable Belorussian
Yeah, sure. What a non-meme map, 10/10

Is Russian difficult to learn from English? I want to learn a language at some point and that's one of the ones I'm interested in

Pls tell me the phonetic tendency/features of your slavic language compering to other slavic language.
I know some enigmatic sounds like ř.
I started to learn Polish, it seems that palatalized sounds appear more often.