Are homophones common in your language? Is there a language with no homophones at all?

Are homophones common in your language? Is there a language with no homophones at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

members.peak.org/~jeremy/dictionaryclassic/chapters/homophones.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

highly common, context is usually more than enough to figure out what they're saying

>Are homophones common in your language?
Yes, a million times yes.

Eau, aux, au, eaux, haut, hauts ; all these words just sound like "o"

I cant think of any homophones in my language

Meд = copper or honey. Both share the same color, so I don't know which came first.

>Are homophones common in your language?

>Et
>Est
>Ai
>Ait
>Aient
>Haie
>All pronounced é

Yeah they're common as fuck

Not at all
Sometimes the same word can mean entirely different things, but it's written the same way

Get on my fuckin level, plebs

members.peak.org/~jeremy/dictionaryclassic/chapters/homophones.php
>Granted every homophone is listed twice

English is just an outright bad language though.

Very inexpressive and limited.

yeah but they mostly stay in the south

Very few.

>Thon et Taon
>homophone

that's bullshit, english incorporates ideas and words extremely easily, we just don't always modify existing words to do it

>Not at all

Ou and août bothers me more

good post

bad post

My language is not, hehe. There are a lot words that have two and more meanings, or two words that have the same meaning.

But we never have two words that written differently, have different meaning but pronunciated the same.

Je me disais bien, taon ça se prononce comme temps.

>Very inexpressive and limited.

I feel the need to write a multi-paragraphed post explaining to you why this is wrong but I understand English is likely a second language to you.

To make things short: Context means everything. The way you say things and the situations you say them in make all the difference. I cant argue it isn't limited but to say it's inexpressive is just untrue.

>Homophones
Illiterate.

>The way you say things and the situations you say them in make all the difference

Meanwhile using Germanic or Ugric languages this doesn't matter
Dependence on context is shit. Ambiguity is shit. having to write long, winding sentences to describe the exact same thing a compounded word does is shit.

Isn't to write and to piss the same in russia?

>any word starting with an h
>being a homophone of a word that doesn't
you just slept through middle school or you have one of theses weird accents.
Haut and hauts are almost the same only one is an adjective and the other is a plural noun.
aux and au are just accorded forms of each other.
Most of the ones in the image are just according the words. Also:

But English is Germanic...

Never mind though, you're right. This is why Swedish is a commonly spoken language throughout the globe and is a pillar of both science and commerce between countries.

*pronounced

>Peut-etre and peut etre are homophones
Who would have known?

Makes sense. You ever write your name in the snow while taking a piss?

> sweet and sweat aren't homophones

We pass through our lives and never see anything, mind you.

No, Bob.

>Dependence on context is shit. Ambiguity is shit. having to write long, winding sentences to describe the exact same thing a compounded word does is shit

for clarity maybe but for artistic freedom definitely not

Depends on stress. ПиcAть is to write, ПИcaть is to piss.

>be academie francaise
>invent a new letter to distinguish "où" from "ou"
>never, ever use this letter in any other word in the entire french language

WHY

You don't pronounce "t" in "haut" and "hauts"?

But what language do you mean?

No, but you pronounce it in the feminine versions of these words : haute (singular), hautes (plural).
"Haut(s)" is said [o:].
"Haute(s)" is said [o:t].

But it's not a homophone, another example is "mUka" and "mukA" (agony vs. flour)

>remove French from my "languages I want to learn" list

I really really hate French spelling

>Be Britbong
>don't know what an accent is
>think e, é, è, ë and ê are 5 different letters instead of 1 letter with various accents

There is a humorous short passage of Mr. Shi eating lions in Mandarin.

This is the poem:
>施氏食獅史
>“石室詩士施氏,嗜獅,誓食十獅。施氏時時適市視獅。十時,適十獅適市。是時,適施氏適市。氏視是十獅,恃矢勢,使是十獅逝世。氏拾是十獅屍,適石室。石室濕,氏使侍拭石室。石室拭,氏始試食是十獅。食時,始識是十獅,實十石獅屍。試釋是事。”

This is how it's pronounced:
>Shī Shì Shí Shī Shǐ
>Shí Shì Shī Shì Shī Shì, Shì Shī, Shì Shí Shí Shī.Shì Shí Shí Shì Shì Shì Shī. Shí Shí, Shì Shí Shī Shì Shì. Shì Shí, Shì Shī Shì Shì Shì. Shì Shì Shì Shí Shī, Shì Shǐ Shì, Shǐ Shì Shí Shī Shì Shì. Shì Shí Shì Shí Shī Shī, Shì Shí Shì. Shí Shì Shī, Shì Shǐ Shì Shì Shí Shì. Shí Shì Shì, Shì Shǐ Shì Shí Shì Shí Shī. Shí Shí, Shǐ Shí Shì Shí Shī, Shí Shí Shí Shī Shī. Shì Shì Shì Shì.”

And this is what it means:
>The story of Mr.Shi eating lions
>“There was a poet named Mr.Shi who lives in a stone den. He liked to eat lions, and vowed to eat ten lions. Therefore Mr. Shi would usually visit the market to look for lions. At 10 o’clock exactly ten lions just arrived at the market. At that very moment, Mr.Shi shot a few arrows from his bow and killed those ten lions. Mr. Shi then brought the ten dead lions back to his stone den. Because the den might be too wet to store the lions. So he ordered his servant to clean and dry the den. After the den was cleaned, Mr.Shi started to try to eat those ten lions. However, only until he was eating the lions he found out that those ten dead lions were actually ten stone lions. Would you try to explain what was happening?”

lmao no one cares nerd

>this is the future of all languages

ij and ei
au and ou

English is a very versatile language, you can write a little that means a lot, a little that means a little, a lot that means a lot or a lot that means a little. And then you have the biggest vocabulary in the world to express it, not just because its worldwide but because its essentially three languages strapped together.

not that common actually

Polish has a shitload of sounds so there's almost always enough combinations for a unique word

Chinese is pretty funny

Wouldn't the sentence 'I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign' have been clearer if quotation marks had been placed before Fish, and between Fish and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and Chips, as well as after Chips?

You can do that sort of thing with singular words in english because they tend to have so many different meanings and if you allow for an s at the end it gets even crazier. Set set set set set set set set set

>you just slept through middle school or you have one of theses weird accents.
We don't pronounce the h, I never saw anybody pronouncing them.

You don't pronounce it like you would in english but it forbids liaison between words.
For instance:
J'aime les haricots. Should be pronounced "gemme lé arico" and not "gemme lézard ico"

Yeah, it triggers me to hear people make the liason between les haricots, but I never said I did. I just said that haut and au sound the same.

>tu es au naturel
>les hauts de france
???
For métèques maybe

What are you trying to say ? He's right, they sound the same

Yes, still sounds the same to me. Idk man I have no particular accent, I wouldn't do the liason between es au nor les hauts.

you should to the liaison in the first case

There is also one word spelled identically in the singular and the plural forms but from which the pronounciation differs :
Os (bone, singular) is pronounced [ɔs:].
Os (bones, plural) is pronounced [o].

Maybe there are others ?

That'd would sound very akward, might be the proper way to speak french but nobody does it.

I do it. As it's teached in school.

Otherwise it would be understandable as "tuer au naturel".

No, people don't really buy iPhones that much

>Pronounce the 's' in singular form
>But not in plural

How annoying. Why, though?

we have so many gayphones, for during the process of importing words from Chinese, they lost sounds that don't appear in Jap.
ex. "koutei" may indicates
a path of a travel 行程,
a process of a work 工程,
a house of a public official 公邸,
an emperor 皇帝,
a schoolyard 校庭,
and more than ten other uncommon terms pronounced so.

Taught*, and I didn't learn to speak french at school, it's my native language, I learned it by immersion in my family.

I don't know why but it's not the only word like this

"œuf" means egg, when it's singular you pronounce the f but when it's plural you don't

There is a shitload of irregular plurals.
The best ones are love, (pipe) organ and delight. They change gender as the become plural.

The history of this word is chaotic.

>Prononc. et Orth.: [ɔs], plur. [o]. xviiies. [o] au sing. comme au plur.; xixes. restitution de l's essentiellement au sing.; d'abord [o:s] puis selon la 1reloi de position [ɔs]; (v. G. Straka ds Trav. Ling. Litt. Strasbourg t.19 no1 1981, p.241) Fér. 1768, Fér. Crit. t.3 1788, Land. 1834, Gattel 1841 [o:s]; Besch. 1845: ,,pron. ô à la fin de la phrase et devant une consonne; oss devant une voyelle ou un h muet``; Littré [ô] mais ,,plusieurs font sentir l's au singulier comme au pluriel``; DG: [ɔs]; Passy 1914 [ɔs] ou [o:s]; à partir de Barbeau-Rodhe 1930 (Pt Rob., Warn. 1968, Lar. Lang. fr.) [ɔs]. Au plur. gén. [o] mais l's gagne également du terrain: v. Littré (rem. supra), Rob.: ,,ô au plur.; parfois des oss' ou des ôss' dans la langue senpai.``; notamment dans la lang. des bouchers (Mart. Comment prononce 1913, p.102). Selon ce dernier: un paquet d'os [o:s], mais selon Pt Rob.: un paquet d'os, un sac d'os, en chair et en os [ɔs]. Pour les dér. Mart. Comment prononce 1913, p.109: ,,même sans accent circonflexe, l'o reste ordinairement fermé et long dans ossements ou désosser (...) mais non dans osseux, ossifier, où les deux s se prononcent le plus souvent, et oss(e)let, où l'e est suivi de sl, pour l'oreille``. Pt Rob. tous avec [ɔ]. V. chaque dér. Att. ds Ac. dep. 1694.

>Étymol. et Hist. A. 1. Ca 1100 «partie dure et solide qui forme le squelette» (Roland, éd. J. Bédier, 1200); 2. 1176 «os d'animal travaillé» (Chrétien de Troyes, Cligès, 4031 ds T.-L.); 2emoitié xiiies. os dou cuer «os de coeur de cerf: cartilages ossifiés du coeur du cerf très employés en médecine» (Chace dou cerf, éd. G. Tilander, 393); 3. 1188 Il n'avoit que la pel et l'os «il était maigre» (Florimont, 1760 ds T.-L.); 1668 n'avoir que les os et la peau (La Fontaine, Le Loup et le chien ds Fables, L. I, V); id. n'avoir que la peau sur les os (Racine, Les Plaideurs, I, 4); 4. 1606 rompre les os (Nicot); 5. 1640 il ne fera jamais vieux os (Oudin Ital.-Fr.); 1690 ne pas faire de vieux os (Mmede Sévigné, Lettres, éd. M. Monmerqué, 9, 545); 1823 faire de vieux os (Boiste); 1690 ses vieux os «pour désigner une personne âgée» (Mmede Sévigné, op. cit., 400); 1676 fig. ne pas faire vieux os quelque part «ne pas demeurer longtemps au même endroit» (Id., ibid., 5, 64); 6. 1640 ronger qqn jusqu'aux os «épuiser, ruiner» (Oudin, loc. cit.); 7. 1609 mouillé jusqu'à l'os (Régnier, Satires, XI, p.53); 1878 (avoir froid) jusqu'à la moelle des os (Ac.); 8. 1680 donner un os à ronger à qqn (Mmede Sévigné, op. cit., 6, 173); 1868 jeter un os à qqn (Littré); 9. 1851 avoir de l'os «de l'argent» (ds Esn.); 1895 ça vaut l'os (ibid.); 1914 tomber sur un os (ibid.); 1948 l'avoir dans l'os (ibid.); 10 ca 1200 subst. masc. plur. «restes d'un être vivant après sa mort» (Dialogues Grégoire, 49, 8 ds T.-L.). B. 1616 os de seiche (Crespin). Du lat. ossum, var. pop. du lat. os, ossis «os, ossement; fond de l'être humain».

>But we never have two words that written differently, have different meaning but pronunciated the same.
This.
We clearly are related

Wew that will totally make it clearer

your you're
their there they're

idk any more

T-thanks, it's all so clear now

JUST SHI

One of the great things about Dutch is that you can speak almost entirely in saying and figurative speech.

*sayings, expressions and figurative speech

>notamment dans la lang. des bouchers
NOT A LANGUAGE
I bet that guy doesn't even speak l'argonji des louchebems

The context is usually so different that it's very difficult to get confused though.

Dutch people who aren't very proficient at English also directly translate Dutch expressions into English, leading to some hilariously nonsensical sentences.

Just like my star trek aliens.

SHI

Some Dutch people who aren't very proficient in Dutch directly translate English expressions into Dutch which is much worse

Also wasn't there one about a mom, her horse and hemp? I remember that from my classes.

And then you have words that use the same characters...

But you can't speak English solely in expressions.

>and yet some Japanese still want to get rid of kanji
>having this mess

>It’s been said that, on average, 30% of a language is idiom and expressions. Dutch is actually 98.7%. Well maybe not that high, but be prepared for utter confusion when cows, monkeys, windmills and weather barge into your everyday casual conversations.
ayy

>I used to have this colleague who almost exclusively spoke to me in Dutch expressions. Now of course, some would see this as charming, perhaps even educational, or a nice throw back to the times when our grandmothers spoke of the importance of stitches in time and referred to elusive characters such as the Queen of Sheba and Riley (what was so bad about leading Riley’s life anyways?!). The problem was that my colleague spoke in Dutch expressions haphazardly translated into his own unique English versions.
>The result was a trail of bizarrely strung together words that senselessly hung in the air and required my constant nod and smile of approval/understanding. Many a mornings were spent hearing about cows being pulled out of ditches, tall tulips getting their heads chopped off and monkeys (yes, monkeys!).

I don't get it, I'll need an example

You can't make chocolate out of it?

pisat-to write
pishat-to piss
(obviously not on croatian keyboard here)

>There are a lot words that have two and more meanings

these are types of homophones m8s
e.g. tire (of a car)
tire (physically exhaust)

so you do have them

that is pretty rich coming from an anglo

there are words written and pronounced in very similar ways but with different accents
e.g.
pene: if it's pronounced péne it's the plural of "pena" - that is, "punishment" ; if it's pronounced pène it's "cock"
botte: if it's bótte it's "tin" , if it's bòtte it's "punching"
pesca: if it's pésca it's "fishing" ; if it's pèsca it's the fruit "peach"

there's "ho" (first singular person of the verb "to have", present tense) and "o" (that is, "or"); in Italian the letter "h" doesn't have a sound (at best, it changes the sound of the preceding consonant).
But there's a difference, the first "ho" is more like "ò"
There's also "ha" (third person of the verb "to have, present tense) and "a" (to). Someone says that there's some kind of homophony (no homo) but it's often pronounced with a glottal stop in the first case.

yeah but they are the reason our spelling is fucked up

>It's Jamal's fault my wife's son is black

kek

J'mal is actually a French name, true story

I can't knot a robe to it either. Unfortunately peanutbutter. It sits like a mustache though, as it can rust on my ass.

*rope

there are some gayphonies in the context of complex words
e.g.
"l'ama" ({he,she} loves {him,her}) and "lama" (blade)
"letto" (bed) and "l'etto" (the hectogram)
"c'era" (there was) and "cera" (wax)
"luna" (moon) and "l'una" (the one o'clock)
"l'ago" (the needle) and "lago" (lake)