So I'm curious about traditional Chinese writing (writing for now, speaking it properly later)

So I'm curious about traditional Chinese writing (writing for now, speaking it properly later)

What's the best way to learn this?

Are there any books you would suggest?

>one word = one character
Is this the least effective writing system?

Japanese learn 漢文(traditional Chinese) from confucianism text and historical text
That contents are simple and interesting so I recommend tho I dunno books like that exist in Canada...

>words made up of smaller chunks with explicit meanings, combined together.
>when you see a word you don't recognize you have a pretty good idea what it means right away.
>you can fit a ton of information in a small space.
Seems pretty good to me.

>words made up of smaller chunks with explicit meanings, combined together.
Not most of the time.
>when you see a word you don't recognize you have a pretty good idea what it means right away.
Not most of the time. That only applies to clusters of characters and definitely not individual characters.

Skritter
But it costs a monthly subscription fee

I can topically get American or uk books too, easily enough.
Surely somebody who speaks English has made our translated a good guide to learning written traditional Chinese.

The Confucianism texts do sound interesting though, for sure.

I want more than rote memorization of characters though, I'd also like to learn the radicals, what they mean, and how they're combined into words, and how to properly write the characters.

No?

So understanding radicals and your existing vocabulary doesn't help you recognize new words?

Are the individual characters mostly arbitrary then, and you're simply memorizing them?

Typically*

>I'd also like to learn the radicals, what they mean, and how they're combined into words
Besides the most common few they hardly have any meaning and contribute more to determining the pronunciation of the character than its meaning.

Not really. As I said above it does help in guessing the pronunciation albeit maybe only 70% of the time.
The most common radicals have broad meanings attached to them (e.g. water, fire, etc) but it's impossible to infer the character's meaning beyond that in most cases without a context.

Download Chinese dictionary Pleco. Tons of info, really helpful for learning characters and Chinese overall.

Spasibo bro! Will do.

Ok fuck you you STINKIN leaffuck

Hmm. Good to know. Thought the characters were all modular by meaning, and that seemed really neat, in addition to an interest in Chinese in general. Little disappointed that that's not the case, but still interested.

it's one sound/syllable one charachter

words are often made of more than 1 charachter

Sorry i Didn't respond to you faster dude. No need to be salty about it.

I'll be checking it out as well, thanks.

Ask your mum

You better be damn sorry

You can't learn Chinese.

Hey canadabro i would suggest getting HelloTalk- an language exchange app that allows you to converse with native speakers. Bonus: you get to talk to qts too

>chink qts
Don't exist

Try it and find out yourself. Who knows you might end up with a mistress from Yunnan

>Daic """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""people""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
You're baiting

>ask a question
>get a bunch of responses
>miss one entirely
>dont notice it until it's poster gets all mad that he hasn't gotten a response yet.

I appreciate the suggestion and i will check it out.
I'm sorry i didn't notice your post.
But you're seriously over reacting about the severity of not getting a response before you pointed out of to me.

And how they do
Funnily enough the only good looking people in Singapore are Hans

tbf it's relative. When you're mixed in with a bunch of SEA monkeys and poo-in-loos you're bound to look better.

Learning the characters is one thing and then understanding the actual language is another.
My mandarin isn't great and often i get sentences where i know every single character
and still have no idea what the sentence means
I'm Romanian before anyone asks

My mum only speaks English and French. That wouldn't be any help.

Maybe not, maybe so. I have lots of Chinese friends from University who would likely be willing to practice it with me.

But I'm at least confident i can learn to read Chinese. Pretty good at memorization.

I will look into this as well, thanks.

Ive actually seena lot of attractive chinese from singapore both male and female, I suppose they must take care of themselves better than mainlanders

>better than mainlanders
Of course mate

there's pretty girls in china but not that many of them desu

Yeah but I mean to a degree where theyre actually attractive, not just flat out better than mainlanders which isnt saying much. Also the accent is really nice

Do they have plastic surgery?

Wh-what have you got hiding i-in your p-pants?

>Also the accent is really nice
That's really debatable 2bh. Personally I loathe it and I'm not alone.

People tend to either really like or really hate the Singaporean accent from what I've seen.

See - not my thing

The rich ones might

Best series

Ooh.
>on amazon
>good reviews

Seems promising. Thanks user

But it's in Zhuyin iirc
So you'd have to learn bopomofo first

>Vocabularies are in traditional Chinese and annotated with pinyin, zhuyin (BoPoMoFo) and Tongyong pinyin.
Looks like it covers pinyin too.

always makes me laugh posts like this... if you're too lazy to google around for the right learning tools, you don't have what it takes to learn an asian language.

Found lots of learning tools on google . Doesn't mean i know which ones are any good. Hence the question.

Fuck off back to romania

Well you're clearly too stupid to find a better opinion than 4chans (four chan's) Sup Forums board so enjoy giving up after the 1st month.

Try something like Spanish, that might be more up your alley.

Wooowww
Also spoken Chinese isn't harder to learn than spanish if he is a complete beginner
memorizing the characters for reading and writing takes a lot more effort