/urban/ + /architecture/

poal.me/srwkkb

Sydney vs Singapore

Battle of Skylines Round 1 Battle 7

Bracket

Singapore desu.

Does anyone know why they aren't really building anything much? Is it the recession or space?

Sydney, Australia

well I guess there is not that much demand anymore, but I think they will start to build in the next few years

anyway the tallest building in Singapore - Tanjong Pagar Centre is still U/C so it's not like they don't build anything at all

Aww yiss. Lets go Singapore.

Posting unique buildings- here's a building that makes a conscientious effort to dress itself with tropical greenery. It's pretty cool to look at

Space age residential building clashes with traditional chinese design. Pretty horrendous and yet hypnotizing to look at tbhfam

Nice to see a Singaporean here!

>those buildings
>traditional chinese
doubt.jpg

Modernist 80s design: looks good 30 years ago but doesn't really age well. Still pretty unique in a dystopian way tho

Happy to contribute :)

We're a pretty young country, so it's as 'traditional' as it gets. Those are the conserved facades of century old buildings

did u get a proxy koreaboo?

shhh he is watching

Another edgy af design by some crazy euro architect. Idk why people want to live in these kind of buildings

I like it

your opinion on this edgy design in Singapore by a Polish architect (Libeskind) ?

is the architect a jew

Votet Sydney because Austrlia is much better then Singa-poor

Looks much more dynamic than the other boxy design, i like it. This is modern design done right. It's pretty impressive to see irl

Last one for the night: single room flats populated by the poor and elderly.

Income disparity is pretty bad here desu. Some parts of singapore are like nyc, some parts are as dystopian as those hongkong flats. What can i say: we love our free market policies eh.

at least your poor live on real buildings not wood boxes. oh well

Is it that bad in brazil? I've read about the favelas but i can't imagine their size and scope

They actually look like European buildings the sort you see in the med, rather than Chinese. At least to me.

the poll is exclusively about skylines of the cities, not about your general feel towards countries these cities are located in
Yes I really like it aswell I would like to see it in real, probably my favorite design of Daniel Libeskind

Shame his skyscraper in Poland(this one curvy in red light( isn't so imposing, but that's probably more due to lack of money than his design(as the visualisations actually looked good)

this favela has like 70k people

So okay it's not quite like wood boxes, but look at this shit. Straight out of a dystopian fiction piece. All these houses are badly constructed and many people die every year because of lanslides.

There aren't any favelas in my city, but in the biggest cities shit gets bad

Reblog if u a strong independent city who don't need no highrises

where are polish and norwegian

Singapore, Singapore

I'm Polish, dunno about the Norwegian

Ah i get what ya saying. I didn't think of it that way.

Probably someone did use those european med archetype, but i think the layout inside is pretty different to suit the shitty humid weather here.

It's actually pretty cool to read about such vernacular buildings and how they adapted designs to suit climates and environments. For example, look at british colonial buildings built for the tropics, which borrows some principles from malay and indonesian design.

Can you elaborate on this design adapted to humid climate?

Yea his Polish design looks really tame there. He was probably so damned happy to go wild a d splurge all that dough on his whackyass designs in Singapore. Gotta hand it to him though- the man's got talent

Wow that must be so mind boggling to see irl. And there are entire micro communities in those areas with gangs controlling and enforcing law in large areas?

Sure. Things like:

>large eaves for shade and shelter from torrential rain
>raised from the ground to avoid mosquitoes and flooding
>closed facades on sides that face the sun, because of year round 35c and above heat
>ventilation blocks and stack ventilation optimized against the prevailing wind (which can change depending on monsoon seasons)

There are things that are not replicated from the malays/indons tho, like:
>the use of atap/other plant matter, not as sturdy as concrete
>small house design that hide beneath treelines to benefit as much as possible from tree shelter from the sun.

In the tropics, perpetual rain, heat, and mosquitoes are your enemy. You have to build houses to avoid those.

Pic related: indonesian rumah adat

Rip

nice, thanks for such informative response
it's still not the primetime of /urban/ I think

here

This is a tough one, think i'll go with Sydney

I'm starting to think a supertall would ruin singapore

Does this look like it could be somewhere in Britain?

Depends on how super we're speaking. Their tallest towers are just 20m off from being in the supertall class, and I don't think those 20 meters would visually make much of a difference in a new tower. If we start going closer to the megatall mark, then it would probably throw the skyline off balance.

Though I think they should focus on making the skyline denser and larger, rather than taller. Singapore is pretty, but it still feels kind of small.

this

also Singapore isn't that short, the tallest building will be 290 m, it doesn't have supertall but it's aesthetics imo make up for it and I include the skyline into my world top 10

Yeh i always forget super tall is classed at 300m they need a class in-between at like 400-450m or something. I think they could do up to 450 or so perhaps without making it too off balance

If someone told me it was I wouldn't call them out for sure. Though the bins and the island with benches is sorta strange looking also the building on that I've never really seen before.

Well yeah a lot of people started to notice that 300m is not "super" at all anymore, maybe in Europe it still is something big(although Moscow has several supertalls) but almost every provincial city in China is getting a supertall(or already have a one) so it's nothing. Now the "megatalls" are the real deal - and so far they are really rare and not that much of them are going up,

Ah thanks, I was curious because the guy who designed this neighborhood was a brit.

Libeskind also did a mockup for a town over here a couple years ago. The city leaders seem really adamant about sticking to this design, whenever they're actually going to build these. I don't really like it though

>In 1199, the city made itself independent from the bishops of Volterra and established a podestà, and set about enriching the commune, with churches and public buildings. However, the peace of the town was disturbed for the next two centuries by conflict between Guelphs and Ghibellines, and family rivalries.[6] This resulted in families building tower houses of increasing height. Towards the end of the Medieval period they were 72 in number and up to 70 metres (230 feet) tall. The rivalry was finally restrained when it was ordained by the council that no tower was to be taller than that adjacent to the Palazzo Comunale.[6]

well that's classic libeskind, a lot of people don't like it

but imo it does look quite good atleast on the visualization

You have to imagine it after it's actually built. Those green stripes would never make it into the actual buildings. The buildings are white and the walls consist of panels, they'll collect dirt and the buildings will look really grimy after a couple of years when the filth runs down the white walls. And then in general I just don't like the window placement, and the tallest building is way too wide. Like it's super wide, it doesn't really show in these pictures

Here's Turning Torso which was built ten years ago, and it's a prime example of this building technique. It looks like shit now. White is a bad color for houses, when they get dirty they look really dirty

And here's a space age church built in the 60s. They don't age very gracefully

well that's the case with actually most of modern architecture as it's supposed to be minimalistic, sleek and "clean", it simply doesn't age well you can easily notice any dirt or some defects

Well, this is also a 60's white church and it still looks pristine. Just need to be committed to take care of stuff, which isn't on the architect. If municipalities leave buildings to rot, then that's on them. If anything, they're a reminder that buildings should be treated with frequent care. Darker structures can get just as filthy, but you don't see it. I think Finland already has way too much white architecture though.

Turning Torso also admittedly looks kind of cool with the dirt, but being the landmark it is to Malmö, I don't get why they don't clean it.

It would help if they used some other color. Even something like beige doesn't look as bad when it gets a bit dirty. It actually kinda bothers me how every time they build something a bit taller here, the houses always seem to be white

>I think Finland already has way too much white architecture though

I totally agree. I don't know when that meme started. At the moment the other trend seems to be brick though

probably it's quite expensive

I guess now there is too much white shit in Finland but as for me it kind of fits it

like you know white - cold country - snow etc

I think that just makes it worse, though. Like you'll go snowblind no matter where you look.

In Norway and Sweden buildings are traditionally very colorful to offset the depressing dark months. Finland just wanted to be the special snowflake, I guess.

I think that's actually one reason they shouldn't build white stuff. The sky is white, the ground is white or some shade of gray, the trees are black or whatever. And then even the houses are white, there's just no color anywhere. Or what Norway said

isnt Finland supposed to be depressing :^)

>only 20 votes
fuuuugggg how do we get so little votes maybe people just don't know what "poal" is? I'll try with strawpoll next time..

the fruits of depression are dank menes

They're old colonial houses, dude. I dunno why the merlianon denies it. Just like the Fullerton.

>tfw no qt gf
anyway posting some singapoor

Singapore>Sydney t bh

Sorry for the shitty image quality.

your OC?

>all these anons lately providing OC from their travels when you've never even been outside the continent

Yeah, I'm a noob with photography and only had a borrowed mobile cam to work with. My gf (local) was very patient with me stopping to take pictures every five seconds.

This is hardly urban, but I liked the fact that there was a nice calm "lake" so close to the city. A handful of locals were fishing there and there was an interesting trail showcasing local flora. I found the spiky tree of death particularly interesting.

I've never been further than Sweden

This was shot from the park "behind" the MBS heavenly boat hotel thingy. It was apparently funded by petrochem companies to "preserve species from local and regional nature", in other words a PR stunt. Pretty though. Lots of flowers and shit. I got to see what ginger flowers look like. Spider lilies are weird.

In this photo you can see the skyline and part of the docks. I always like taking pics from places most people don't care to look, not so much for other people as for myself, so I can say "see, I do make an effort to avoid he beaten path"

how is Singapore in general ? is it really so clean ?

this

Yeah most of it. Not much litter, at least.

Most of the city looks like this, High Density Buildings everywhere.

how did you manage not to melt considering the fact you are from Norway

Kalamansi lime juice and young coconuts by the wheelbarrow.

Also beer. Much cheaper than in Norway, even at the most expensive places.

From the ww2 memorial