ITT: Post interesting pieces of history near where you live

Forest near my house, Robin Hood's grave

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f_FpYLnNhVw
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Little John's grave

Over 10 ft long

No one has any interesting history to share?

Major Oak, the Oak tree that Robin and his Merry Men hid in

I live a couple of blocks from where Lincoln was shot

This was the church that father Hidalgo gave his speach to start the war for independence
He called for the people with the main bell
The bell now resides in the National Palace in Mexico City, where is used every 15 of September to remember that moment
I dont live near the church, but I live near the bell lol

Is the theatre still there

This monument is next to the main plaza in Mexico city
Its believed that that was the spot where the aztecs saw the eagle eating a snake wich they believed was the sign to build an empire

Mexican George Washington?

Kinda, he died long before independence was achived
First president was him after the empire of Iturbide fell

this is a haunted bush where an Indian burial ground is.

>haunted bush

Perfectly preserved Roman baths

its a fairly big area and spooky as fuck

Americans may like this

Benjamin Franklin's house

Thats nothing m8
Try spending the night here

It's not there anymore, but when I was a kid I used to play in the ruins of a POW camp for German soldiers during WWII.

At one point during the war, The Germans got a hold of a map which showed the Gila river running about a mile from the camp. A group of them escaped with the intention of floating down the river to Mexico. They turned themselves back in once they realized that the river was nothing more than a dry desert wash.

I don't like that at all

Looks like shit

Sometimes I like to wander about the old Abbey by the river

Never anyone there

This is a cemetery, inside is a memorial/grave for the people who died in a mid air collision over the grand canyon in 1956. The crash basically lead to the creation of the FAA because of all the negative press the investigation got.

wonder what it used to look like

I like to do the same.

We have a pretty good market in here once a month too.

Painting showing what it supposedly once looked like.

pretty local shit though
legend has it that a princess of a local lord committed suicide by throwing herself into the pond with lots of treasure when a nearby castle felt in sengoku period. some anime also used that as background.

Closest really is still about a 20 minute drive. Loch Leven castle, where Mary Queen of Scots was kept under arrest in.

That and some ruined inn a couple miles away that Cromwells men would use while occupying here.

Forgot the picture.

Looks a bit like Burns Bog.

Probably just like the rest of the old cathedrals in Europe.

HMS Victory

The Man 'o' War that defeated Napoleons combined Frencha and Spanish fleet in Trafalgar

Its broadside

youtube.com/watch?v=f_FpYLnNhVw

This is the Alamo, where ~200 Texans held off ~1800 Mexicans for 13 days.
Once the Mexican army made it inside they killed everyone, word spread and gave us the ever famous "Remember the Alamo"
Texas won the war for independence with the next battle, 1 1/2 months later.

Checked

Edwinstowe?

>tfw even in the biggest city in Canada and one of the oldest there is fucking nothing history wise

The most historically significant event around here was when police academy was filmed