World Map of trends in adult human height

Did your country's average height increased or decreased in the last century? What can you tell me about the height of former generations and current ones? Are they the same, taller, shorter?

>elifesciences.org/content/5/e13410
>ncdrisc.org/height-map-mean.html

>Changes in adult height over the century of analysis varied drastically across countries. Notably, although the large increases in European men’s heights in the 19th and 20th century have been highlighted, we found that the largest gains since the 1896 birth cohort occurred in South Korean women and Iranian men, who became 20.2 cm (17.5–22.7) and 16.5 cm (13.3–19.7) taller, respectively. As a result, South Korean women moved from the fifth shortest to the top tertile of tallest women in the world over the course of a century. Men in South Korea also had large gains relative to other countries, by 15.2 cm (12.3–18.1). There were also large gains in height in Japan, Greenland, some countries in Southern Europe (e.g., Greece) and Central Europe (e.g., Serbia and Poland, and for women Czech Republic). In contrast, there was little gain in height in many countries in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.

Increased a lot. It depends on the particular circumstances through, my grandmother was very short both due to age and hunger during the WW2 (when she grew up, she was actually from a middle class family but money is of no use if there is no food for sale during a major war). My grandfather has a very healthy height, not really shorter than the typical modern Slovak. He also grew up during WW2, and his family was dirt poor in money, but they were peasants in a fertile area so he always had enough tasty and nutritious food.

Not surprising that Africa and South Asia did not improve, height is related to nutrition (although not the only factor) and Africans and South Asians have very poor nutrition, often to the point of starvation. South Korea had probably the fastest change in living conditions for the better in human history, thus the rapid growth in height.

>shortugal

according to the chart, every country increased in height.

>manlett countries

Netherlands flooded.

yes, mexico & north mexico's height has greatly increased

it wasn't a question, it was a statement. not sure why the mexican asked if "your country's average height increased or decreased in the last century" since it's obvious form the chart that every answer is yes.

Not really:

>As an exception to the steady gains in most countries, adult height decreased or at best remained the same in many countries in sub-Saharan Africa for cohorts born after the early 1960s, by around 5 cm from its peak in some countries (see for example Niger, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, and Uganda).
>More recently, the same seems to have happened for men, but not women, in some countries in Central Asia (e.g., Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan) and Middle East and North Africa (e.g., Egypt and Yemen), whereas in others (e.g., Iran) both sexes continue to grow taller.

>used to think I was average height at 5'9"
>I'm no Zyzz but at least I'm taller than the generation before me
>move to richer neighborhood
>even the old ladies are almost as tall as me
>their husbands are giants

I fucking hate being a manlet. How the fuck can someone born during WW1 be over six feet tall when my grandpa was 5'7", that's FUCKED UP

Africa's doing pretty good compared to some

Fun fact: diarrhea is an indicator of low protein intake. Pray for Pajeet.

>Not surprising that Africa and South Asia did not improve, height is related to nutrition (although not the only factor) and Africans and South Asians have very poor nutrition, often to the point of starvation. South Korea had probably the fastest change in living conditions for the better in human history, thus the rapid growth in height.

People don't know how bad South Korea was in the past..

yes, really.

>Libya is more first world than the USA

Compared to who? Mars?

All propaganda about Khaddafi being corrupt and fucking concubines cannot hide the fact that under his rule, Libya was the most developed country in Africa. Here, during communist Czechoslovakia people sometimes went to work there in the oil extraction industry, because they got very good salaries in sweet, sweet hard currency. Countries like Libya NEED a dictatorship.

Libya had a fuckton of flaws.

bullshit, everyone knows that protein makes the worst diarrheas

t. Intolerant to lactose and/or gluten

A lot less than the ISIS infested violent shithole it is now. There are no flawless countries, much less ones inhabited by savages.

Why aren't all manlets either euthanised or given hormone therapy?

But there is a reason people did an uprising against Qaddafi however NATO undermining African security smut be noted and acknowledged form what you said.

An uprising heavily supported by NATO. One lead by islamic savages. No, rebels are not generally good guys. Real life is not fucking star wars.

>America

JUST SPIC MY SHIT UP

>India

Holy fuck someone nuke the place

The uprising was losing a lot of territory in late March 2011. This caused NATO to intervene before the rebels collapsed.

I remember the /k/ threads about it.

Wasn't Korea Vietnam-tier? Fortunately I could say South Korea is now what Japan was in the 90s, just before the crisis.

>(under age 5)
That's not even remotely conclusive.

Not sure if that's recent, but the newer generations tend to be much much taller than the older generations. In my class alone most people were 175-185 cm (men.). Older generations tend to be 160 150 cm in general. I think its because we are finally getting proper nutrition and shit. Gym culture is also exploding in my country.