Remind me why they still make mobos with this stuff in it

Remind me why they still make mobos with this stuff in it

Feature lists in comparison buying.

>implying PS/2s don't make you hard

muh legacy

L E G A C Y

Remind me why they only have one of these when you need a mose and a keyboard.

So people can still install Windows 7

And use a Model M

Because we don't live in 2007 anymore?

Stop trying to replace all ports with USB you iPhag

Nerds like PS/2 instead of usb for some reason

We don't need a mouse and a keyboard anymore?

Ever have the BIOS disable "USB in BIOS" by default?

Literally in the wikipedia article:

They cause fewer problems when KVM switching with non-Wintel systems.[citation needed]
PS/2 ports may also be favored for security reasons in a corporate environment as they allow USB ports to be totally disabled, preventing the connection of any USB removable disks and malicious USB devices.[5]
High-end keyboards that provide full n-key rollover typically do so via a PS/2 interface as, though USB HID keyboards support full rollover, some operating systems do not promote USB HID boot keyboards, which can report only a maximum of six pressed keys (excluding modifiers) at a time.[6] This hinders fast typists, as well as users who depend on unusual hotkeys to be recognized by special software (for example, for system development purposes) or seek to use alternative input methods like Braille or chorded input.
Some gamers[who?] claim that compared to USB, the PS/2 interface also has much lower latencies for keyboards due to the interrupt-driven manner PS/2 keyboards communicate with the computer by default compared to the polled nature of USB keyboards where the USB controller hardware polls USB keyboards, which can be important in some real-time applications or gaming.
However, USB mice have lower latencies than PS/2 mice because standard USB mice are polled at a default rate of 125 hertz while standard PS/2 mice send interrupts at a default rate of 100 hertz when they have data to send to the computer.[7][8] Also, USB mice do not cause the USB controller to interrupt the system when they have no status change to report according to the USB HID specification's default profile for mice.[9] Both PS/2 and USB allow the sample rate to be overridden, with PS/2 supporting a sampling rate of up to 200 hertz[1] and USB supporting a polling rate up to 1 kilohertz[7] as long as the mouse runs at full-speed USB speeds or higher.

1/2

Less input lag which gives an edge in gaming since you can 360 noscope your opponent 20ms before his commands are received by the server

nkey rollover
USB a shit

>he's an EHCI/xHCI cuck

USB keyboards return status updates by default every half second in order to allow typematic (the function that causes keys to repeat when they are held long enough) to work[9] compared to PS/2 keyboards which do not return any status reports unless their status changes or are polled or a key is held long enough for typematic to activate, which causes the keyboard to send the scan codes for the keys affected by typematic to be repeatedly sent until the keys are released.
The PS/2 interface saves power due to its interrupt-driven nature compared to USB which requires periodic polling, so it is a popular interface for laptops' internal keyboards and pointing devices.

2/2

I like having the keyboard in a higher position than the usb flash with hentai.

I had to use one to install Windows 7 on a Ryzen build a while back.

Because there isn't a good reason not to include it when so many keyboards use it. The same goes for phones and headphone jacks. Because when you don't have it you're stuck purchasing extra dongles. It costs a couple of cents to include it and the customer doesn't have to buy third party accessories. Now go back to the Apple forums, faggot.

He's a mobilefag.

Literally never. What kind of retardation is that?

This

Wut

t. Nu-Sup Forums

So they can charge you extra for that feature... that you'll never use.
They also put VGA ports on them for the same reason... it's all about shekels.

it's technically faster response time so there are still gamers that use them, and there are plenty of mice and keyboards for it

Yes. It was a P4 box I used for outdoor survelliance at -30 degrees.

all my keyboards are PS2...

with this you can connect both a PS/2 keyboard and a PS/2 mouse

hardware interrupts vs. polling

Frees up an extra USB port for you.
>He doesn't use a PS/2 keyboard or mouse in 2017
Your loss desu.

Heh, it happens. Or worse it doesn't want to recognize your USB keyboard in the BIOS either to make changes.

N K R O
K
R
O

>Because we don't live in 2007 anymore?
2007 is close to 2017

>no PS/2 ports
>disable USB ports accidentally or maliciously
>motherboard is now effectively bricked

Me too.

Why was it never a daisy-chain topology?
Plugging a mouse into the keyboard makes so much sense.

Never heard of Bluetooth?
Probably not installed on your shitty MoBo so you deserve what you get.

>pull out cmos battery
>pull in cmos battery
>motherboard is now effectively unbricked

a dabouble dagongle

Having bluetooth/wifi on your motherboard is retarded. Even laptops manufacturers don't stick this shit on their motherboards, which is nice cos you can get rid of the shitty b/g/n cards and replace them with a nice sexy intel 7260

>now have to buy a bluetooth keyboard
>may not work in bios

Thing is USB ports can die. They have fuses on them so you plug some shitty device or cable in and you could toast it, toast whole blocks of USB ports.

PS/2 is pretty much guaranteed to work, so it's a good backup.

So I can plug in my IBM Model M without using an adapter.

Lots of motherboard don't have removable cmos batteries.

>buying shit motherboards

Because daisy chain is stupid shit, unsightly even.
I never got how it got popular between Macffags of all people, weren't they all >muh design? Probably because they blindly swallow anything that comes out of the Company's exhaust pipe.

Low latency

Whew, that's terrible, is that apple stuff?
Even notebooks have them, you just have to take them apart though (yuck).

Nah dude that's fucking dumb, and your sense of aesthetics is fucking retard tier. Daisy chaining M&K is simpler and in most use cases improves wire routing instead of having 10' of cable hanging off a sheer edge and causing excess friction and tangling you have

Because USB is a vulnerability.

It's the alpha way of typing.
Instead of being a beta cuck and waiting for your computer to ask what key is being pressed you tell your computer to stop everything and let it know that a key is being pressed.

>there is less cable to manage
patently false
>and less mass to see.
ditto, how is there less to see when your mosue cable comes our of your keyboard?

>still need to stretch mouse cable out halfway across your desk to make sure the cable doesnt drag too much

HIGH ENERGY

This. Hardware interrupt master race

Because PS/2 has almost no key press limit and it is faster than USB for mice and keyboard.

This

When I see a mobo without one it actually stops me because somehow I had considered using an old IBM

But anons, Steve Jobs himself removed it from Macs, it has to be obsolete and bad. Don'T you have courage.

>when you nut but she keeps sucking

>for mice
wrong

kek

>PS/2 ports may also be favored for security reasons in a corporate environment as they allow USB ports to be totally disabled
This is persuasive.

For people with PS/2 keyboards and/or mice

Can't hide a USB drive in a ps/2 port. If your a business/agency insanely paranoid about security, this is a plus.

Also, my off-brand HP keyboard dates to 1987. Its practically a family heirloom, and I keep it around to remind myself how much evil planned obsolescence is.

-compatibility with legacy hardware
-some people WANT to use PS/2
-some IT admins can disable USB altogether and still have kb and mouse on computers they manage
-because why the fuck not

Muh CPU usage.

Hardware interrupt is superior to polling for input
Why are you even here?

Yes, the 1ms saved is incredibly noticeable.
You and the other pathetic retards wouldn't notice the difference in a blind test, but you just like to parrot that cool sounding sentence to feel smart, when every idiot can look it up on the internet.

NKRO

usb drivers continually poll for input?

Actually, the interrupt latency going through the legacy routing mechanism in the chipset is a lot worse than the latency you get using message signaled interrupts from the USB controller, it's just that USB is basically a polled bus at like 1 ms intervals, so it doesn't matter how good your interrupt latency is, the bus itself limits how good it will get.

shit. meant to respond to these guys

This actually makes sense.

* blocks your path *

Today I used an old PS/2 keyboard while testing my USB ports. Hadn't used one for several years.

So I can keep using my Model M

Windows fails to load USB drivers when dual booting and having either your mouse or keyboard on one of these lets you restart the PC faster. And during the installation (of 7) USB hardware is unusable.
It's also more efficient and good enough for your mouse.

How does it provide power for the USB device?

Security. Can't boot over PS/2.
Lock your PC case in a safe with no physical access to RAM or USB ports to stop the risk of cold boot attacks.

Because interrupted based PS/2 > polled USB.

>during the installation (of 7) USB hardware is unusable.
Use the USB2 ports, user.

you need to have cpu poll the usb port instead of an interrupt arriving for you to handle. why the fuck would you waste cpu cycles on finding out when you clicked your mouse?

The drivers are simpler, so I can use a mouse on FreeBSD even without Xorg installed, if it's a PS/2 one.

Those are exactly the problem. I don't even have USB 3 ports if that's what you mean.

Well, that's weird. Because Windows 7's only an ass to install on modern systems since the original 2009 images don't come with USB3 drivers, only USB2.

backwards compatible with everything
try to install windows 7 on a usb 3.0 only motherboard without editing the installer

I've never had a problem with USB hardware during 7 installation.

I have this shit

Only works if the keyboard supports PS/2 over USB.

Those adapters are also often brand specific.

so i can plug a keyboard in

Because
>_

>nice sexy intel 7260
Ahahahaha, clueless idiot.
Useless intel underperforming and feature lacking expensive card.
A 5$ atheros card has more features than this pos

So you can use the IBM SpaceSaver II

why would you do that in the first place

So I can connect my Lenovo SK-8820, duh!

Using one of these for my shit mouse now, since I don't like to wear out my gaming mouse for desktop use. Brilliant little idea. Too bad a lot of gaming keyboards don't support that and you need to install their horrible bloatware to get NKRO over USB. IIRC Rosewill has PS/2 support but I fucked up and bought a Steelseries. Watch out for that shit.

dont want muh gaming mouse to be worn out by desktop use
what the fuck

PS2 Ports are a necessity for installing Windows 7 on a Ryzen system if you aren't wanting to slipstream drivers into a Windows 7 ISO. Windows 7 Doesn't have USB 3 drivers built in, so a USB mouse and keyboard are useless if your BIOS doesn't have a Legacy USB mode, forcing you to use PS2 ports.

That ancient legacy port is a lifesaver for the newest silicon.

It's not complicated. Mice wear out man. Buttons and scroll wheel will go to shit after a few million clicks. they're not like model ms that you can use for 25 years. I've already worn out 4 gaming mice, so I decided to also use this old one I had laying around anyway.

Be me. Never possessed a USB keyboard in my entire life.

The same way it provides power for a PS/2 device.

> Getting ryzen when 8400 exists