Which one to use for a beginner to linux and why?

Which one to use for a beginner to linux and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about#
blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
howtogeek.com/176495/ubuntu-developers-say-linux-mint-is-insecure-are-they-right/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

they're both the same. I'd suggest a beginner to use Xubuntu or Mint Cinnamon because they're both really easy to use DE's.

Unity is just retarded and GNOME is alright, but a beginner would like Cinnamon or XFCE more.

Either is great for beginners, you can't go wrong with either really. Both have nice installers, good driver support and nice easy-to-use GUI applications.

Thanks for the insights Sup Forumsents!

ZorinOS Lite
Xfce is best and Zorin has a non-shit theme

I assume you're coming from Windows, so Mint is probably best.

Manjaro seems cool

Vanilla Ubuntu. From there you can install any of the other desktop environments with a single apt operation and switch between them at will while using the same programs. Mint is a hobbyist distro.

Linux Subsystem for Windows

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about#

This. I installed mint on my laptop because it was a shitter my mom no longer needed. I still am a wincuck on desktop because muh vidja, but I love mint for just browsing streaming and jokering around.

Both have excellent support and communities so its up to the user i guess.

I am a beginner to Linux and at first I went with Ubuntu but the Software manager there is a total mess, I couldn't install some of the programs on it, some installations were corrupted and stuff. I switched to Mint MATE and it's a lot better and things are more intuitive, it reminds me of the old Windows.

Xubuntu

Did the Mint devs learn their lesson from last year's hack? Are they focusing more on security?

I used ubuntu for well over a year. The support that I got was easily enough for what I wanted. Therefore I could highly recommend it for a start into the gnu/linux world. Having said that I wouldn't stick with it long term. For that I would say to go for Arch Linux.

Personally I had no problems starting with Ubuntu

sauce?

blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
howtogeek.com/176495/ubuntu-developers-say-linux-mint-is-insecure-are-they-right/

Mint.

it depends on what you mean by beginner

if you're looking for something to install and use as an operating system without much further fussing, go with mint
if you're looking to learn linux and possible advance, go with ubuntu (or ideally, something that appears more advanced, since you can't learn till you're willing to make mistakes)

My personal order from beginner to advanced would be: Ubuntu/Mint, Manjaro, Archbang, Arch and Gentoo.

I've had my dude use zorin before that distro is the closest anything gets to windows

ubuntu is just a click and install distro, you literally can't go wrong with it