If all they needed was some space to fit more components, why not just switch to 2.5mm instead of dropping P2 entirely?

If all they needed was some space to fit more components, why not just switch to 2.5mm instead of dropping P2 entirely?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/utfbE3_uAMA
youtube.com/watch?v=utfbE3_uAMA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>some space
In the iPhone 7 they put some useless plastic in the place of the jack.

because they want to sell $20 adapters or who knows how many shekels wieless headphones...

What's the point if you still need an adapter for common 3.5mm stuff?

and adapters to charge your headphones

stop shilling that shit

The DAC is still there.
They just chose not to waste $.02 on the jack so they can sell $20 adapters.

3.5 to 2.5 adapters are small, analogic and don't take the whole charging port. They are also cheap as fuck.

>They just chose not to waste $.02 on the jack so they can sell $20 adapters.
Apple gives you one for free. They also sell one for $9.

Only Jewgle sells $20 adapters that are pass-through cables.

it's not about space
it's about sending a message
"You will buy whatever the fuck we want you to buy"

>remove the dac
Except that's dumb. and in the case of the pixel 2, not true. The reason the USB c dac isn't supported is because they're using the dac on the soc.

Because space was never the issue

The gist is, it was a combination of different decisions
>The wanted to make the iPhone slimmer, and rather than work around the headphone jack, they removed it entirely
>Not only does it save money, but they could push adapters and their bluetooth headphones, mind they own fucking Beats
>And then they rationalize it as a 'brave and bold' design move

Generally speaking, their design department needs to be lined up and shot--the same thing happened with their Macbook Pro's with their their regular USB ports You literally can't flip someone a regular old flash drive without them having to use an adapter. Not only that, but they have the worst, ass-backwards compatibility because they love white-listing stuff instead of it, you know, being 'UNIVERSAL'.

Here's another food for thought--you can even connect the new iPhones to your new MBP without having to use another adapter--they decided to keep the asinine Lightning Bolt port.

Nice try deleting your shit when you were called out on being a fucking moron.

(blocked out the shilling bullshit in case it was actually a mod doing something for once)

apple is literally so fucking high on money, they forgot who the fuck buys their shit.

Let's put it this way--most of Apple's products are glorified toys. They're not meant for the business environment, and anything a Mac computer can do, a Windows computer can it better, faster, and cheaper. So anyone who voluntarily chooses to use Apple products, or worst yet, refuses to use anything else BUT Apple products, you can objectively drop their IQ down a notch and sleep better at night.

>that whole screenshot
Android is fucking disgusting

>If all they needed was some space to fit more components
They didn't. that's a flat out lie. A 3.5mm connector takes up enough space to make the phone 0.025mm thinner. Hell, modders even found a way to fit a 3.5mm in there. Cost savings are also extremely minimal, way under 50 cent.

>Fifty cents, times a million, is still $500,000

It's a really weak connector, shit snaps off easily if you're not careful.

And? They could raise the price by $10 and no one would be any wiser.
The iPhone X is $1000+, and the 8 goes up to $950.

Maybe if you're a fatass and sit on your phone.

Probably not an issue for most of you since you faggots never leave the house anyway

It's not about the diameter/thickness, it's about the length, which is too long. The lightning port is thinner and smaller in length.

Shit looks like it's gonna bend soon as I put it into my jeans pocket.

I'm sure that's a design feature though, more shekels for the apple jew for when I inevitably have to buy replacements.

Because if you do the math on how much board area you save with a 2.5mm vs 3.5, it comes out to fuck all, and everyone is going to have to buy an adapter anyway at that point.

Also the mechanical reliability of those connectors goes way down as size decreases. 3.5mm is already a bad compromise on 1/4"

just gonna leave this here
youtu.be/utfbE3_uAMA

It was never about space
have you seen how big apple's plus size phones are?

>useless plastic

It was an atmospheric pressure sensor, user. Jesus, don't you know every phone need that?

>defending Apple because Google made a more expensive dongle

>If all they needed was some space to fit more components

You say that like there's any possibility that it's true, even just entertaining the hypothetical is ridiculous. They did it to jew you into adapters and bluetooth

>It was an atmospheric pressure sensor, user. Jesus, don't you know every phone need that?

You know, if you had a pressure measurement from every phone, could you form superior weather models and forecasts than we currently have?

>Apple gives you one for free.

This is just boiling the frog slowly

I'm not defending Apple. I don't own any of their devices.
My point is that Google's jewing heavily and all they're selling is a fucking piece of cable with two connectors on them and ZERO electronics in them.
Apple's dongle has a miniature DAC and an ARM processor. $9 seems reasonable to me.

Pixel 2 doesn't do analog audio over USB. There's a DAC in the cable just like Apple.

wireless headphones are the future, if you need to use them for more than an hour then just buy 2 or 3 pairs so that way you can still listen while the other ones are charging!

>Apple's dongle has a miniature DAC and an ARM processor.
>I don't know what the shit I'm talking about haha

>Apple's dongle has a miniature DAC and an ARM processor. $9 seems reasonable to me.
Does needing 2 dacs AND a fucking processor to use a headphone jack sound reasonable to you?

why not? since their cables are all digital, they need to covert it to analog. I don't see why you're spazzing out over it.

>The wanted to make the iPhone slimmer, and rather than work around the headphone jack, they removed it entirely
>Generally speaking, their design department needs to be lined up and shot
Agreed. It baffles me that they're totally okay with keeping a retarded looking camera bump on the back too, while removing the jack.

This. This so much. They go out of their way to make the phone as thin as possible and leave that ugly-ass bump that causes the camera lens to scratch unless you use a case which completely undoes the thinness.

We dont need more space for more components when apple got rid of the headphone jack the put a plastic spacer in its place. Their phone also got thicker.

youtube.com/watch?v=utfbE3_uAMA

They didn't even need to remove it at all. This guy modded it back on.

How much do they pay you to attempt to justify needing a processor just to have an audio jack?
This isnt revolutionary in the slightest, its literally a setback to the phones of the 90s.

Microcontrollers are now in almost every piece of modern electronics more complex than a light switch.

>some guy actually installed a working headphone jack into the iphone
Bravo, Apple. Officially the least technologically competent company out there.

>Yeah the phone doesn't have an adapter
>Instead of putting one in the phone we put one in the box

>Doesn't have a headphone jack*
Forgot to proofread baka

Great, more shit to break. I have some passive adapters for various things to stereo 3.5mm headphone that were cheap when they were new, and are now as old as the hills and they work great. Then I have a few active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters, all more expensive because they're active, and all broken within 6 months of buying.

>Only Jewgle sells $20 adapters that are pass-through cables.
They're not pass-through, Google isn't supporting analog over USB-C

>charging and listening to music over wired headphones in jeans pockets

It's not about size. Someone prominent in the 3.5mm business pissed off the wrong group of jews so now they are out to bury the format.

>Someone prominent in the 3.5mm business
What the fuck are you on?

Fuck off about it won't fit. If one schmo on Youtube can fit a 3.5mm jack in the phone, a team of professional engineers surely can too.

at least i could charge my phone AND listen to music with it.

3.5mm is a horrible connector that needs to be forgotten.

here's (You)r reply, shill

It's still an annoying ass adapter, and 2.5mm is too thin to be sturdy. We used to have these jacks on feature phones, and the plugs on the adapters/headsets were super easy to break. Having a long add stiff adapter acting as a lever didn't help.

Then something actually superior needs to be developed. Bluetooth keeps dropping out at random either because of cheap receivers or interference. USB C can't charge and listen without a splitter, and not being able to turn in the jack makes it more likely to break than 3.5mm. Requiring a dongle only adds another piece to break or get lost, and makes the device more irritating to use.

Oh, and if the headphone jack on your phone breaks from being used a bit rough, you have a broken headphone jack. If the USB C port breaks, you can't charge anymore.

>A random cunt made it work
>The engineers chose to leave it out and said they had to (used the vibrate motor as an excuse)
>The port still fit either way
What the fuck are you smoking

Hey guys, lets make an audio connector that attaches every channel before ground and makes shorts between each channel when you plug it in. That's a fucking great idea. Let's put the spring on the device side too and make it hilariously long for no reason.

Surely anyone who thinks this is retarded must be a shill.

>Then something actually superior needs to be developed
They could really just put a second micro-B connector on there and call it a day. Maybe move the leaf springs closer so you can't plug in the power connector accidentally.

>The headphone jack is retarded because it breaks
>It's not retarded if another port like USB-C or lightning port breaks
Make up your mind on what's retarded and what isn't you mongoloid
It won't break if your subhuman brain can understand putting things into holes gently, not smashing it in and blaming the port when your primate brain couldn't understand how much force a pin going into a hole needs
>Inb4 it breaks in muh pocket
Just point the port out of your pocket spastic

>charge an extra 50 cents on a $700-$1000 phone and see if anyone gives a shit

On another note the people who break the ports on their phone consistently are chimps
>"I don't know why the port on every phone I've had breaks"
>They force it in

Its not about space you daft fucks...its about cost.

That's why you don't have slider keyboards...it adds cost.

That's why you are losing SD card slots...cost.

Adding a removable battery costs too...now you don't get those either. Easier to just seal it all up and not be bothered with design.

And now you don't get a headphone jack either...because that part might cost an extra 50 cents to put in.

MEANWHILE...and this is the IMPORTANT PART...selling you a dongle is profitable. Selling you a bigger internal storage and jacking the price for it makes them money...letting you have an SD slot does not.

And who can forget all those exterior power supplies and charging cases...that's more profitable than letting you have extra batteries.

So...why should they give you a headphone jack and a DAC...when selling your dumbass a dongle is more profitable?

And as soon as they can figure out another way to gimp your phone they will. Bet on it. But you keep buying it so fuck you.

So fucking what? You get a bit of noise for the tenth of a second it takes you to plug it in. I haven't seen one piece of equipment that uses 3.5mm that is damaged by this.

Micro B is ass, and my comment about lack of rotation still applies. Letting the plug rotate in the jack makes it a bit more resistant to damage from having the plug torqued around. Then again, the shitty straight-out plug design Apple pushed on us years ago kind of broke that already.

I've never had one break, but if it does, I'd far rather be without a headphone jack than unable to charge the device.

And I do point the jack out of the pocket, but the phone isn't so retardedly long as to stick out of my pocket at all times.

We had L shaped headphone plugs years ago and those never caused issues unless you pulled them out by the cord like a spastic. We only have headphone jacks breaking as much as we do because Apple decided to "fix" the pull-by-cord issue by making straight plugs that apply leverage against the port during normal use in pockets.

>And now you don't get a headphone jack either...because that part might cost an extra 50 cents to put in.
FIFTY FUCKING CENTS. I'll happily pay $1000.50 for a version of a $1000.00 phone with a headphone jack. Two quarters is immaterial when compared to the price of even the shittiest cheapest smartphones (which do include 3.5mm jacks btw).

Nop, that was just their excuse. The guy disassembled the plastic thing and there was nothing there.

Reddit speaks the truth

Perhaps yes, the form factor is rubbish and inefficient. But the DAC converter should be onboard on the device. I mean it is already, that's how the speakers produce sound.

They should just make a connector that's kind of like USB C, maybe even USB C, that carries analog sound.

>What the fuck are you on?
And where can I get some?

You'll pay an extra 50 cents will ya?

Good for you! But you're bitch ass will also pay 20 to 30 bucks for a dongle won't ya bitch? Or you can pay more for our special Bluetooth airbuds. No better sound than our old ear buds...but we can charge you more for it.

You'll pay like the dirty worthless bitch you are and you'll brag to your friends about how special you are to have 'the latest thing'.

Now give apple/Samsung/google/whoever your wallet and grab your ankles. Bitch.

yep
in an effort to enforce drm over the IOT

Exactly. This is why Samsung got my money, not Google, Essential or Apple -- they put the $0.50 headphone jack in the phone instead of trying to jew me out of $30 for a stupid inconvenient dongle.

I wonder if Apple is going to progressively move more and more components out of their phone until you're left with just a screen and the rest of them strapped to various parts of your body like old wearable tech.

>So fucking what? You get a bit of noise for the tenth of a second it takes you to plug it in. I haven't seen one piece of equipment that uses 3.5mm that is damaged by this.
The analog safeties they have to prevent damage from this murder performance in ways you're apparently not equipped to comprehend. These connectors hold headphones back 30 years.

Apple bought Beats then dropped the 3.5 mm so they could sell bluetooth headphones as they cost more. Main reason money (jews.webm)

No. Just the battery, SoC, cellular ad bluetooth components. It'll be all voice controlled through AirPods. Screen and home button will be extra.

What does it do to performance? A device that has a 3.5mm jack performs and sounds no worse than one without.

>inb4 apple removes the earpiece and microphone for a truly edgeless design and the only way to make phone calls is with an airpod

Because they wanted to force headphone manufacturers to bear the cost of the DAC (not much but hey, it's not like Apple are above shaving off every cent they can) and so they could charge those manufacturers to implement the lightning connector standard, thus creating a new revenue stream from worthless rent seeking.

Can't wait for $100 a month Iphone subscriptions where you lose access to all your contacts the moment you stop paying.

There's still a DAC in the phone for the speaker. They're just hell-bent on making everything proprietary to the point that you can't even charge their phone with their laptop using what comes in the box.

>requiring remote server access for contacts list
Hmm when did something like that happen before?
>The Sidekick data outage of 2009 resulted in an estimated 800,000 smartphone users in the United States temporarily losing personal data, such as emails, address books and photos from their mobile handsets.

If headphones with USB-C become popular it's fine. But the apple proprietary port has no business being the headphone port. Jewish as you can get.

>switch to 2.5mm
They might as well drop it if that's the alternative. I use the headphone jack a lot and no headphone jack is a deal-breaker. 2.5mm would have the advantage of being able to charge your phone and listen to music at the same time. So there's that. But none of my earbuds, headphones or anything else I have use 2.5mm, it's all 3.5mm so I'd need to carry an adapter. And if I need some adapter then I might as well carry a USB or Lightning adapter.

Exactly.

>when did something like that happen before

When did a phone without a 3.5 mm jack exist before?

heh, phones without 3.5 mm jacks existed for a very long time, it took more than a decade before they became a thing (or were able to play music, for that matter).

It used to be the case that every single Noka and Ericsson phone would have it's own special little port at the bottom and it's own special charger and special accessories like hands-free sets that would only work with that one model they were made for and nothing else.

I really appreciate how 3.5mm jacks and micro-USB ports became a standard on all phones.

>let me just ignore all the points made before and try to look retarded

Because then they can't force you to buy the $40 dongle adapter or the $140 Bluetooth Beats headphone.

Or the earpods that fall out of your ear so you have to buy new ones weekly.

Yeah but when they became the norm they didn't remove it.

Are you one of those niggers that literally hold their phones in their hands while listening to music?

Yes. Once people came to expect 3.5mm jacks on phones, there were very few phones without.

There are more modern flip phones like the LG B470 that have no headphone jack. You can put music on them but if you want to listen to it on anything other than the builtin speaker, you have to use Bluetooth or use a MicroUSB to 3.5mm adapter.

Not a phone, but the Nintendo GBA SP required an adapter (not included) to connect headphones, and it used the same port it used to charge. 3.5mm jacks were standard on handheld consoles at that time. Most people either assumed it simply couldn't do headphones, didn't bother to get an adapter, or lost the adapter. It was seen as a real downside to the system and people hated it -- though it still sold well because of the size and the backlit screen. But they brought back the headphone jack on the DS and haven't taken it away again since.

My point here is it's been done before, it's not that courageous, and it sucks now about as much as it did in 2003.

>What does it do to performance? A device that has a 3.5mm jack performs and sounds no worse than one without.
That's because they're all designed to work with headphones which were designed to work with amplifiers that have 120 Ohm output impedance. The entire ecosystem is ass backwards.

...so? You connect your headphones and see if they work acceptably. If the amp isn't strong enough to drive them you add a headphone amp. No real issue here, and it's more adaptable than having to pass up otherwise great and comfortable headphones for a good price because they put a poor DAC or amp.

No I don't charge my phone in my pocket like a madman

Windows is only cheaper because no ecc ram and xenons because your os cant handle it. Osx has always been able to handle more ram and doesn't have a file transfer limit as laughable as ntfs. As for as not using osx professionally, who uses windows for a workstation? Certainly windows can't handle DAWs so no studio wants to deal with the garbage that asio, you won't see Pixar running windows and why would they when server farms are unix/linux. Only thing people use windows for is office and video games. But directx is garbage and wasn't even available until 95se. Adobe/autodesk and pro tools were Mac only because it was open gl compatible before dx even existed. We all know Unix is better than nt garbage and macs were able to have multiple windows and programs running at once because it handles ram better. There's nothing benifcial to windows

>no ecc ram and xenons
Windows Server exists for that, but you'd be caught dead if you ran Windows in any form on a server.

Analogue out over USB-C is less bad than Apple's proprietary port, but it's still better just to have a fucking 3.5mm jack.

>Still holding on to analog anything
Why don't you people embrace the digital future?

No. It isn’t.

The guy who built his own headphone jack into an iPhone 7 showed it’s just a piece of plastic that can be clipped with no effects whatsoever

youtu.be/utfbE3_uAMA