All these programmers on here, why doen't you live code music?

all these programmers on here, why doen't you live code music?

I'm trying to learn programming specifically for that purpose and it's really hard for me. It kind of baffales me that there are so many people who grasp programming way better than people like me but they don't use it for cool shit like this:

youtube.com/watch?list=PLybSFICi4UliK17U6rxPneXAyxvmGAe5T&v=smQOiFt8e4Q

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sWblpsLZ-O8
youtube.com/watch?v=JE1jylkS_7w
supercollider.github.io/
youtube.com/watch?v=Ig91Z0-rBfo
youtube.com/watch?v=_5l9j4ObjO4
youtube.com/watch?v=Jfq3c4Cf1Fs
youtube.com/watch?v=Je6NChw3LiY
youtube.com/watch?v=IdYMA6hY_74
youtube.com/watch?v=ybzSWlpgJOA
youtube.com/watch?v=dIjkCWC2n5c
youtube.com/watch?v=eRlhKaxcKpA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Use a fucking tracker

I actually have used Renoise more than any other program for making music, but I usually end up making loops and think I would be better off if I could code them to change them in real time

Fucking awesome tbqh famalam

holy shit I like this, what free software i can I use for this?

Because it's a meme. You learn the song then you "live" code it like playing the simplest musical instrument imaginable.
It'd be more impressive to live code Fizzbuzz.

Jesus christ I haven't laughed so hard in weeks.

they are using one called TidalCycles

why?

don't you realize live coding allows you to create an entirely new song spontaneously just like you would improvise on an instrument? Don't you realize algorithmic composition offers sonic possibilities that aren't otherwise accessible?

cringefest 2016 i assume?

what the fuck is cringy about this?

I seriously baffled by these negative reactions. You guys are posting on this forum and you think the people making rave music with code are the real dorks?

i agree with the other guys who say this is cringe. the music isn't good and the programming involved is not interesting

this is pretty cool op

Cringy and pretentious

white man can't groove

>You first need to install the following three pieces of software, Haskell, Atom, and SuperCollider.
Kek, nope.

OP here. I installed them (already had supercollider installed) just a few hours ago. It was pretty easy

I'm a programmer who does electronic music stuff as a hobby; but I intentionally stick to hardware projects. After programming all day at work I really don't feel like doing it as a hobby. You've also got to live somewhere like NYC or LA and befriend the right people if you want to play on stage.

The camera pans to the audience. You see a group of young white men trying to dance while failing terribly to do so. Some are cross dressing but you're not sure why.

spends most of the time backspacing and fixing mistakes.

part is instruments/tool make it as quick and easy to get ideas from your brain into the air, especially in a live situation.

just seems like a fucking gimmick.

I mean I can understand like programming Demos and stuff. Your shit OP just seems like lame and pretenious.

Now shit like this is lit, 256 fucking bytes. Only problem is it's too short.
youtube.com/watch?v=sWblpsLZ-O8

I really don't see what's pretentious about it. If anything it's the opposite cause they are openly showing the audience everything they program on a screen instead of keeping it to themselves.

Demos are cool but it doesn't have the realtime 'live' element that I find enticing about algorave.

>youtube.com/watch?v=sWblpsLZ-O8
I watched the Revision stream live, irc went bananas for this and 4k. Good times.
>algorave
This thread just gets better and better.

Pretty much this. The idea is novel, but it doesn't result in anything which I could enjoy as music, at least not in this video. It sounds like a bunch of random sounds thrown together.

are you guys fans of electronic music at all?

genuinely curious

Somebody nuke Indonesia. That country should not exist.
Goddammit, it's so fucking full of weeaboos who think that living "close" to Japan instantly entitles them to act like they're Japanese. Not only that, but they're loudmouthed, obnoxious, inept at both English and the internet, touchy, dramawhoring and have an ungodly clique mentality that means that if you ever insult and Indonesian, all his Facebook friends with names like "Sakura Angel InuYasha" will flock in, Typinq Liqe ThiS, and they will shit all over the site.
Not only that, but they constantly upload subpar garbage to their popup-infested free blogs and never update their file links - and in case the file is still up there, it's on some garbage file host that throws popups in your face as soon as you click anything at all, and requires dozens of waiting periods and captchas to cough up a corrupted, subpar copy of what you were looking for, tapestried with comments and links in Indonesian and packed in the most head-up-ass way possible.

i like some daft punk shit but im not super into music in general

>Don't you realize algorithmic composition offers sonic possibilities that aren't otherwise accessible?
it doesnt
are you fucking dumb
any normal musical instrument has way more expressive power than typing

whoa.. so this is the power of haskell

I enjoy all kinds of genres, some of which contain electronic elements, so take that as you will. I'm not a "fan" in the sense that I'm crazy about electronic music or something like that. Honestly there's so much confusion in music genres for me that I don't even know where "electronic" begins today.

I enjoy this song, is it electronic to you? I think it has significant elements of electronic music at least, but it also sounds like actual music instead of random sounds jumbled together.
youtube.com/watch?v=JE1jylkS_7w

this is more cringey than OP

if it's made by electronics instead of manual instruments then it's electronic music
it's really not that hard to classify

what about electric guitar?

what about rap songs? the beats are usually done electronically but most wouldn't call it electronic music

What does that even mean? A lot of electronic instruments are used and they're included in a lot of music which I really wouldn't call "electronic", like the bog-standard electric guitar or all kinds of keyboards/synthesizers.

with electric guitars the sound is created by a real instrument and processed through electronics, so it doesn't really count, a real 'electronic' instrument the sound is entirely synthisized or sampled
and yeah I guess rap is technically electronic although the beats are secondary to the people rapping on top of it

Supercollider
supercollider.github.io/

>why doen't you live code music?
Did it for some time. Then the meme worn off and it got boring.
All electronic music without exception is shit anyway.
Learn to play an actual instrument and write music on sheet paper.

I would rather listen to authentic music like this.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ig91Z0-rBfo

Electronic music has by definition no soul and no emotions.

I'm trying to get into programming music but it's a little tough. Being a brainlet is suffering.

This isnt programming. Hes opening pre written files and changing variables or deleting statements?

plus that syntax looks like ASS and he needs to learn how to name variables

Yeah, I wanted to get into it, before I realized this.

Just making a good synth patch is too tedious to do on the fly. So you either have them pre-programmed or memorize and type out live for cool points.

When you look at what can actually reasonably done on the fly, you're looking at pattern sequencing, pattern mutation, and editing sound parameters, all things that are better done by dedicated hardware.

>Atom
as in the editor??

HAHAHa DROPPPPEDDD so hard

Modular synth is more ideal if live algorithmic composition is your goal. The interface is expressly designed for rapid changing of patch/sequencer parameters. Hell, you could even program your own modules on an arduino module and use actual hardware controls to play with your code.

>Don't you realize algorithmic composition offers sonic possibilities that aren't otherwise accessible?
but this is true. If you really want to believe other instruments are more expressive I can't convince you, but you would be an idiot to not acknowledge computers offer unprecedented sounds and ways to manipulate sound. Take this for example, you couldn't do this without a computer:
youtube.com/watch?v=_5l9j4ObjO4

did you use supercollider when you did it? I'm trying to learn it now. What helped you to learn it?

>ou're looking at pattern sequencing, pattern mutation, and editing sound parameters, all things that are better done by dedicated hardware.
Ok but free software is always going to give you more options than the limited amount of hardware you can afford to buy.

that's cool but I don't have money lol.

>but this is true. If you really want to believe other instruments are more expressive I can't convince you, but you would be an idiot to not acknowledge computers offer unprecedented sounds and ways to manipulate sound. Take this for example, you couldn't do this without a computer:

Right, which is why shit like supercollider is an amazing studio tool for making sounds you could never make conventionally. That doesn't mean it's ideal for live coding.

Best of both worlds would be either sampling sounds you make in supercollider for live use, or using max/msp plugins that leverage the supercollider engine, and use Ableton to do live sequencing.

The only thing live coding has to offer is the "cool" factor. It doesn't excel at anything related to actually performing good music live.

That doesn't mean it's ideal for live music*

'algorithmic composition' is pointless and that song you linked sound like trash
computers can synthesize sounds but there's no point programming it to compose, might aswell program a computer to paint or write books

This is the most autistic thing i ever saw

>might aswell program a computer to paint
That's already happening.

If you like electronic music you'd be jerking to ableton or serato gods who are looping and making/mixing music live not some scripting language where you do the even have control over dynamics

>'algorithmic composition' is pointless
it's the most innovative thing in music today. It's basically a whole new frontier of music we have barely explored. Also it's not so much about teaching computers to compose but rather composing compositions that incorporate elements controlled by variables giving you outcomes that are different each time you preform the piece.

they obviously both have possibilities inaccessible to one another fucko

no there's nothing you can do through typing that you can't do better through a normal musical interface, it's a gimmick

Been going on since John cage bro. Not that revolutionary

procedurally generated music has nothing over handmade music, it's like you don't even understand what art is

>it's the most innovative thing in music today. It's basically a whole new frontier of music we have barely explored.

It's so fucking obvious you're a newb.

Algorithmic (including aleotoric) composition has been around since the modular synths of the 60's. Furthermore, digital algorithmic composition has been raound since the 90's (supercollider was released in 96). Autechre, Aphex Twin, etc were all doing this shit ages ago.

Just because it's new to you, doesn't mean it's a novel concept.

>some scripting language where you do the even have control over dynamics
you have complete precise control over dynamics. As for the other part of your comment I don't know what to say. I like electronic music made with all kinds of different software and I don't see how someone triggering preplanned loops in ableton is any more impressive than this shit.

yes there is. Not sure what you mean by normal music interface but a simple example I can is you could have a synth play a different selection of notes every time a bar repeats. Any normal interface would only play the MIDI notes you have already programmed or you would have to play a keyboard the whole time preventing you from working on other parts of the composition simultaneously

nice try but indeterminacy is not the same as algorithmic composition with a computer

I don't think one is better than the other, they are different things and procedurally generated music offers things that handmade music literally cannot

>Just because it's new to you, doesn't mean it's a novel concept.

it's not new to me except for the fact I'm actually trying to learn to do it now. I'm well aware of music history, it's still one of the most innovative things that exists in music today.

>it's still one of the most innovative things that exists in music today.

How is it innovative if it's been around for almost 50 years? You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Pic related is you.

because the computers we have today are about a million times more powerful than the synthesizers they had doing it 50 years ago? are you dumb?

by 'normal musical interface' i mean the kind of tools you normally use for playing electronic music live, instead of typing things up on screen to look like you're a leet hacker

so then you should understand what I said about the things you can do with the leet hacker interface that you can't do with the regular equipment

Not that autist, genuinely curious about the algorithmic composition you described. Could you post some links to info about the analogue synths or digital algorithmic composition? Sounds pretty fascinating.

you can make looping segments, you can probably even making randomly looping segments if you want to although ive got no idea why you would seeing randomly generated music sounds like shit, something you've probably failed to discern if you think algorithmic music is a valuable idea

>procedurally generated music offers things that handmade music literally cannot
Humans can perform logic tasks... They can follow a set of predetermined instructions without variance. Computers can ONLY follow the logic you give them, they are incapable of variance. You said the exact opposite of the truth.

>you can make looping segments

Better use HTML and JavaScript.

>You guys are posting on this forum and you think the people making rave music with code are the real dorks?

yes, also, the music sucks.

good for drum beats that use highly irregular timing and stuff though.

you would have to program each segment and play them randomly, that's still not the same as having it pick random notes each time. Also it doesn't sound like shit if you know what you are doing. You can have it pick notes from a common scale or mode or from chords you determine to fit tonally with your composition.

you are very wrong. >They can follow a set of predetermined instructions without variance. Computers can ONLY follow the logic you give them, they are incapable of variance
this amounts to literally nothing in this conversation. It has absolutely basically no relation to anything that is being argued here. It's like you are saying that random music from computers is impossible because computers aren't actually truly random. Just because computers only do what you tell them doesn't make them inherently more limited than handmade performance and further still does nothing to refute the simple fact:
>>procedurally generated music offers things that handmade music literally cannot

if you really want to argue against this statement whey don't you listen to this and tell me how you would make that music with hand preformed instruments, cause this is just one example of the things procedurally generated music offers that handmade music literally cannot

>youtube.com/watch?v=_5l9j4ObjO4

Looping with instruments actually takes a shitload of skill if it's not quantized. Staying on tempo is hard as fuck and takes actual skill

>Staying on tempo is hard as fuck
we're talking about programmable electronic instruments here

random instruments do sound like shit unless you exert so much control over your random algorithm you might aswell just be playing it manually instead. Seriously, like the other guy said, this shit has been around for ages, you don't procedurally generate art

That's not completely true. You can use chaotic functions or PNRGs as modulation sources to make pseudorandom music. You can also use white noise through an S&H module or an NRG to make truly random music. The possibilities are pretty endless, since you can use those as a modulation source for pretty much anything - sequencer length, osc pitch, etc.

>random instruments do sound like shit unless you exert so much control over your random algorithm you might aswell just be playing it manually instead.
you must have no understanding of this. I'm not gonna argue with you further cause that statement is too retarded.

i have plenty of understanding of it, the song you linked sounds like complete shit, open your fucking ears

if you had any understanding of it you wouldn't say what you said about randomness in music even if you are too pleb for Autechre

this is what stuff like Pd or MAX/MSP is for

You can't create art through randomosity
See the monkeys on typewriters analogy
artistic expression is almost the opposite of randomosity

I'm bad at trigonometry. I know my algebra, but fuck geometrytards. And those cancerous fucks decide to spoil algebra with all those eigenshit and linear fuckformations.

>i reached my peak in grade 9 math

the post

Those are some great Rickyisms you have there.

youtube.com/watch?v=Jfq3c4Cf1Fs

this is what I mean, you are retarded. I can't argue with you. You really don't understand how a composition could incorporate elements of randomness and sound completely diatonic just like the music you must enjoy?

It can, sure, but would it be better than human composed music in any way? no. It's pointless. The idea that computers can generate art is retarded. All you can do is program it to follow the loose rules we currently know, not create anything valuable

I thought the video was about shader showdowns. The comment should make sense now.

it's pointless. Consider that you think Autechre isn't creating anything valuable, and there's a lot of people who know way more about music than both of us who disagree. You are a lost cause

show me a autechre track that does it well then

I did already. It hardly matters, you are just destined to be one of the common plebs who can't appreciate electronic music at it's best. youtube.com/watch?v=Je6NChw3LiY

>programming

youtube.com/watch?v=IdYMA6hY_74

music is at it's best when it's created with intention by human beings, and don't try to play the eltism card, I was probably listening to electronic music when you were in your mothers womb

>created with intention by human beings,
but the music in question here is made with intention. All these random elements are constraint to the options the composer determines.

youtube.com/watch?v=ybzSWlpgJOA

autism

i fucking love electronic music. i've gone to two electronic music festivals and it was some of the most memorable times of my life

Did Terry listened to this?

electric guitars arent electronic
yes, hiphop is electronic music, it abuses samplers and drum machines

get a mixer, two synths, a mic, a drum machine, a laptop and some midi controller firing a looper and controlling send fx parameters

there you go, live electronic music programming, way less autistic, more deeply controllable, can do shit on the fly, can alter everything on the fly very expressively, etc

live coding is too obtuse

It's cool but that's bullshit

>yes, hiphop is electronic music, it abuses samplers and drum machines
Not necessarily
youtube.com/watch?v=dIjkCWC2n5c

Stuff like this is more interesting t b h

youtube.com/watch?v=eRlhKaxcKpA

>I'm trying to learn programming specifically for this gimmick
Ok