/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>General
Always consider an SSD if you can afford one and buy an HDD later.
If you want to use WiFi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter. General rule of thumb is 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

>If you want help
Assemble a part list: pcpartpicker.com/
Remember, we're not here to build a parts list for you, we're here to help you.
If your part list has a monitor, list the monitor specs that you need.
State your budget, currency, and usage scenarios.
Learn how to build a PC: youtu.be/VhdV2wv3jQs

>CPUs
A8-9600 - Absolute bare minimum gaymen, does not require a dedicated GPU, AM4 upgrade path.
R5 1400 - Best with OCing & high-speed RAM.
i5-8400 (only USA/UK) - Best value for gaymen (consider the fact that b350 mobos arent out yet)
R5 1600 - Best value for mixed uses
R7, used Xeon, Threadripper - Heavy multi-tasking & mixed uses

>GPUs
* Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up, using an old GPU or waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
1060 3GB - 1080p 60hz at medium/high settings, anything below this just buy an Optiplex and put this GPU or better in.
1060 6GB or RX 580 - 1080p 60hz at ultra settings, former supports G-Sync, latter supports Freesync
1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p 144hz / 1440p 60hz at ultra settings
1080 TI - 1440p 144hz / 4k 60hz at ultra settings

>Storage
Samsung for M.2 SSD's
Micron for Sata 3 SSD's
Seagate for fast/cheap hard drives
HGST for reliable hard drives
Avoid off brand HDD's, WD, and Toshiba

>RAM
* RAM costs so much because newer phones use DDR4 memory.
Check your Mobo's QVL if your on a Ryzen platform
Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM, 3200MHz is ideal

Other urls found in this thread:

wccftech.com/gskill-ddr4-trident-z-4600-intel-coffee-lake-z370/
amd.com/en/products/cpu/7th-gen-amd-athlon-x4-950
pcpartpicker.com/list/88CC7h
fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-xl-r2-black-pearl
nzxt.com/products/h440-white
evga.com/articles/01116/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-kingpin/
pcpartpicker.com/list/brdGpb
pcpartpicker.com/list/zDWmXH
pcpartpicker.com/list/7mXMzM
pcpartpicker.com/list/2WxTGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/Rpy8pb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

posting this again because last thread was closed,

what does Sup Forums think of node 202 for a compact college dorm pc

wccftech.com/gskill-ddr4-trident-z-4600-intel-coffee-lake-z370/

sir please delet tank yo

to bad no one is buying it because coffee lake is a mediocre paper launch

I love my AMD

Does anyone have a noob guide about watercooling? Like what parts do I need, how to install them and so on.

Just pour some cold water on your PC to cool it every two hours or so, it's not hard.

if you aren't buying threadripper or housfirelake you don't need watercooling

Get a 120mm noctua, better than low tier water cooling and more quiet.

so what's your verdict on pic related?
a cheap alternative or a shit?

ah fuck forgot to paste link
amd.com/en/products/cpu/7th-gen-amd-athlon-x4-950

I've got 4x8GB DDR3-1866 and 2x4GB DDR3-1333 and want to build a NAS/mediaserver with the 32GB and an HTPC with the 8GB. What kind of motherboard/CPU should I be getting? Been lurking eBay for Sandy Bridge-era stuff but the Z68/Z77 stuff looks expensive as fuck for 2017.

I'm actually envisaging a Threaripper. For video encoding purpose.

>Bulldozer derivative
>good

"no"

Give me the quick rundown on coffee lake vs ryzen

Coffee Lake is significantly better for gaming and only slightly worse for productivity. Pretty much no reason to get AMD right now.

Except performance on Ryzen has gone up leaps and bounds with patches since it's release as people bother to build toward AMD, whereas everything is already optimized for Intel. It'll probably settle out a little worse at games, a little better at productivity, and cheaper. Regardless, with the state of software now, both are good for all but the craziest of setups, but supporting AMD means Intel actually gets some competition and has to improve, rather than the shitty gains we've been getting.

ok yea go for water cooling then, try to do a custom loop, not any of that aio shit

t. shlomo defiantlynotashillstein

8400 is the best budget gaming cpu on the market, nothing else is available. 8700k the best gaming cpu on the market. Ryzen isnt competing in the gaming market anymore

>oy vay you didnt buy my prefered brand

>Ryzen isnt competing in the gaming market anymore

? But they plan to release Ryzen 2 in February

coffe lake if you game at 720p, otherwise ryzen

i5-4670 (non-k) + 1080Ti + 1440p + 144Hz = bottleneck?

Should I just get a 4K screen at 60Hz to reduce the load on the CPU?

pcpartpicker.com/list/88CC7h
This is my build so far. I'm trying to decide on a case. Any of y'all have input on these two?

Fractal Design Define XL R2 $130 fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-xl-r2-black-pearl
NZXT H440 $120 nzxt.com/products/h440-white

Only ever used shitty OEM cases and my Antec Three Hundred personally, but I know people who have bought and loved Fractal Design and nicer NZXT cases, and the cheap NZXT case I helped someone build with was fine, just really cheap feeling. Is there any merit based stuff I can decide between the two on, or just go for visuals?

Just get Ryzen ffs

6850k or R7 1700?

>1600x
>$90 cooler
Either case would be fine, watch reviews to know build quality.

Am I not the only one a bit disappointed with that it's been over 6 months since Ryzen's launch and yet we still have a shit motherboard lineup? Especially considering that Coffee lake/Kaby lake has at least double the lineup each

>6850k or R7 1700?
that doesn't make sense for a comparison

I'm trying to figure out how VRAM works. Ok, so I get that GDDR5 is based off of DDR3 so it should theoretically have 4 lines of 64 bit buses. Then why do only high end cards have 256 bit buses? Are GPU's with 128 or 192 bit buses cut down then? Also how do you tell when a bus is too small? I heard people criticize the 4GB 960 and 1050Ti for not being able to make full use of their VRAM, how would you figure that out? A reference 960 has a memory clock of 7000MHz, so multiply by 128 and you get 448,000 Mb/s, or 56 GB/s, right? So what do you do now?

You're not the only one. All I wanted was high end mATX board but no such thing exists. Had to settle with the Mortar.

is the VX228H a good monitor?

I'd get something higher than 1080 60

I'm poor you don't know me

any cooler for 8400 or box cooler is enough?

I used an AOC 75hz 1080p monitor (it's now my second screen) great value for money and it's a nice boost over 60hz

get one of these

>He's going to over pay for a mobo
these are the keks that keep me coming.

Im just gonna run the stock cooler and see how it does. Its not a very hot cpu

still cheaper than 1600 + non-explosive b350

Higher-end mobos tend to use higher quality parts. The 8400 will likely last for several years before you'd even consider upgrading so it's probably worth it in the long run.

Comes with a cooler and is way better in games too. I am excited for mine. What mobo did you go with?

But the 6850k is much more expensive, why is that a thing.

msi z370 sli plus

Any particular reason to pay more over pic rel?

this one unavailable anywhere in my country + similar cost

If I'm planning to overclock, am I best off just waiting for EVGA's Kingpin, or is there a better 1080 Ti available?
evga.com/articles/01116/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-kingpin/

it's an older generation of an intel HEDT, the replacement would be the 7820k

>1060 3GB - 1080p 60hz at medium/high settings, anything below this just buy an Optiplex and put this GPU or better in.
Is that really a good idea? I mean wouldn't it make more sense to build a solid base for future upgrading?

Your options are either Optiplex+Video card or saving up for something usable.

You only have 3 cooler options but good otherwise.

how are the viewing angles?

What is/are the best 1TB M.2 SSD(s)?

Depends what you're planning to get and what you're planning to upgrade to. Intel basically ALWAYS required a new socket(motherboard) for a new release, AMD will use AM4 through 2020, Zen2 drops in 2018, but a lot of people are posting that they might need a new chipset for Zen2, meaning a new motherboard. PCIe 4.0 is supposed to hit this year, with 5.0 in 2019, and those may require new chipsets(so, new motherboard) as well if you want those. I mean, keep in mind how many blatant Intel shills you see in these threads, not just the idiots who only care about performance this gen versus long term competition in the market, but actual obvious shills, so theres probably a lot of FUD being spread to discourage buying AMD motherboards, but it's worth considering if you were planning on buying a motherboard to upgrade your CPU with. If you're just talking about upgrading RAM, power supply, disk drives, or video card, eh, go nuts, those you can just swap out whenever.

pcpartpicker.com/list/brdGpb
getting the Phanteks - ENTHOO EVOLV SHIFT Mini ITX Tower Case X so it is the bigger version
thatll fit two harddrives i already have.
r8 h8 fix my terrible shit

>everyone who likes coffee lake is an intel shill

>intel is once again king in performance
>amd is king in pricing
So, are we back to normal now?

>3 minutes ago
>everyone who likes coffee lake is an intel shill
>4 minutes ago
>not just the idiots who only care about performance this gen versus long term competition in the market, but actual obvious shills

Yeah, those two statements are totally the same thing. You're the kind of poster I was talking about, ready to jump the instant a post is made that isn't singing Intel's praise, trying to cast doubt on the poster. Really makes you think.

Been out of the pc building scene for a while, but finally have a VERY TIGHT budget for a new pc build.

Only game I play on the pc is WoW.

So baring that in mind, are dell optiplexs still a good starting point for a sub 400 build?

>4 core processor
>AIO
>Slow memory
>Hybrid card
What are you doing

>pcpartpicker.com/list/brdGpb
There might be something wrong with a build if the mobo is more expensive than cpu

8400 is better imo. I wouldnt give up 2 cores just to be able to oc

does ram even matter with intel
hybrid cards are the best to overclock whether you fags like it or not
>he doesn't spend more on pricey mobos than dumb cpus that will be upgraded
>more cores
user please if i wanted those id gotten a ryzen

>Fix my shit
>Ignores all replies

>intel sockets
>upgrade

Jesus you are fucking retarded
Have fun with the least balanced build of the century

Thought this would be a decent place to ask.

I have a delidded 6700k with a decent cooling set up. I can keep a stable 4.7ghz overclock at 1.4 core voltage, and I can also maintain stable 4.8 at 1.44V. Is 1.44 a safe voltage to be running at full time?
I'm managing to keep both overclocks at below 80 degrees C.

No issues stand out.

>defending my shitty mindset is not okay i'm to blindly except whatever fools post here
k
If i ever really feel the need for more cores ill buy the i7
perhaps i shouldn't have left out the part about my 3 4k screens. and besides premier just uses the 1080
i don't need an i7 for 2 plus frames

I'm upgrading my PC, so I already have a 970. My two main options are an R5 1600 or an i5 8400. Since my 970 will bottleneck most games I'll likely get the same performance. However if I want to upgrade my GPU in the future, the R5 1600 will let me down. If I want to upgrade my CPU in the future, the AM4 socket will supported until 2020. What do Sup Forums?

reeee

accept*

>3 4k screens

Building a home media/fileserver.
>pcpartpicker.com/list/zDWmXH

Will this do? I will be running Ubuntu Server as the OS. File sharing will be done through Samba (storage partitions will be formatted in NTFS), Plex to stream movies/shows, and Transmission (daemon and WebUI) for torrenting. Also, I'll be running the OpenSSH daemon for remote management.

Up to 1.4 is "safe". 1.45 is probably the max even if you are fine with sacrificing a bit of longevity.
In other words, you are fine.

Lol do not buy the 8350.

Should be fine. I'm running my Plex Server even on my old X4 640 and it runs fine for one or even two transcodes. To my surprise, Plex doesn't need a lot of memory, it's surprisingly efficient even with all those different processes and scripts running.

That being said, I'd buy into something like a Ryzen 1200 before putting money into older tech even though it has a lower passmark. If most of your media is in mp4, it should be direct playing most of the time anyway....but how many people do you plan to stream to at once?

What should I get instead? Ryzen 1300x? Not wanting to spend over $150 on the CPU. I need at least 4 cores.

Is it worth it to get a Vega 56 or am I just getting cucked?
I have a FreeSync monitor, should I just not care about FreeSync and get a 1080 or 1070Ti, or should I shell out for a Vega 56 or 64?

I'd be upgrading from an R9 380X

Obviously get the 1300x

Alright cool. If I can keep this 4.8 overclock going, I won't need to upgrade for quite a while.

What GPU should I get then? I won't be using a desktop environment or window manager.

pcpartpicker.com/list/7mXMzM
Is this a good budget gaming build?
$500 USD budget.

I'm assembling a build for a new pc but I can't decide on a GPU. Looking at the GTX 1070, but the GTX 1060 looks like its only one step down but I'd save $200+. Which of the two is the better purchase? Any other GPU's I should be checking out? Will be using my PC for gaming and 3d modeling/animation.

Good enough, but that RAM is slow (get a 1x8 3000MHz if you can) and you should buy an SSD later.

$400 for a 1070(non-mini), $253 for a 1060 6GB, $205 for a 1060 3GB.
How intensive is your animation? If it is intensive (or if you have a 1440p or high-refresh monitor), then go for the 1070.

Cheapest one you can find. Or buy an intel i3

Ram is a bit slow. 2666 at least. Otherwise solid build, pretty much what I'm building as well except with a MSI board.

how long until
>coffee lake is back in stock
>retailers stop price gouging

I am actually brand new to 3d modeling and animation. I have maybe 15 hours spent working in blender. I am learning now with the intention of pursuing it professionally. So for right now I don't need it to handle super intense renderings, but perhaps a little ways down the line I will.

I'm running a 1920x1080 120hz monitor.

8400 is in stock on amazon to ship this week, who knows with the other shit

Isn't dual channel faster?
Changed a bit: pcpartpicker.com/list/2WxTGf
Do you think I could reach 2933 on his RAM? Is that possible?
Also getting a dual fan graphics seems better and it didn't cost too much.

Ryzen is still crap in a lot of games ... i ll pass and wait for ryZen 2 . Honeslty if you just game intel is the choice , altho i WOULD never buy , fuck their shitty mayo thermal paste .

Get the 1070. Prices are finally down so it will run games at higher quality and give you future headroom.
Dual channel vs single channel is a marginal difference and it means more to be able to put another stick in then to have more access bandwidth. 8GB just isn't enough these days.

Have Freesync monitor.
Worth getting Vega or should I go for 1080 and not care about FreeSync?

Please respond, I live in Spain where buying a Vega 56 would be 570€ for the cheapest brand (Sapphire). Am I getting cucked? Should I wait another month?

Is it worth buying a more expensive SSD vs a budget SSD? Something like the WD Blue is a lot cheaper than something like the 850 Evo but the Evo is faster.

What are your 1080 prices?

Updated: pcpartpicker.com/list/Rpy8pb