/wdg/ - Web Development General

>no thread

>Previous thread
>Free resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
MDN web docs offer a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn
freecodecamp.com/
codecademy.com/

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Roadmap
stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other

>Tools
jsfiddle.net/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your code
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

Other urls found in this thread:

static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.com/en//webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf
udemy.com/html-tutorial/
pastebin.com/9mp8s09K
pastebin.com/EKbYrL1P
youtu.be/O2Fh9VuLbno
github.com/dmfay/massive-js
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Django!

Are Firefox userChrome.css things allowed here?

no keep that to your daily firefox shill threads

Whats a correct and secure file structure for a php site? I currently just have my index.php and a couple other php files along with an inc folder. How are these files supposed to be organized?

When looking for a hosting company what should I keep an eye on?Unlimited storage,bandwidth,SSH access, etc.
My website which I built will contain lots of pictures, forum, comments on each picture etc...

Im new to this kind of stuff concerning hosting.

okay

nth for javascript

I did a website for a sport club in my city.
There are 3 others club, how do I get a better referencing ?
Right now I'm top searches on gmaps, but my website is still in second.
Only by adding content and getting more visits ?

static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.com/en//webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf

im learning javascript right now
im assuming this will lead to front-end dev work, maybe web dev.
any web developers here?
do you enjoy your work?
would you rather be writing code for software?

>any web developers here
>/web development general/
to answer the question, it's all the same in the end. If you can understand the basics of application design, algorithms, and how to google you can do anything really. Not to mention that the gap between desktop and web technologies/frameworks is closing all the time.

Are template literals better than using hogan.js?

not sure if this would be a good place to ask this, but does anyone have recommendations on laptops for web development + some gaming?
Could maybe do with recommendations in the $600-$800 range and the $800-$1000 range.
Just starting out, but I'd like to be able to work on some stuff when I'm traveling , or just in general around the house so I'm not stuck at my desktop all the time.
Thanks.

Would you say web development is the future of 70% of comp sci students? I'm graduating this spring, and most of what I see revolves around web development.

I'm fine doing that, but I'm concerned it'll corner me into a similar working market as bootcamp devs and will quickly become oversaturated/low-paying

bootcamp devs aren't treated as well and are paid less than people that have a 4 year degree until they have years of experience

I feel like in my internships (which, honestly were mostly CRUD java web applications) I used 0% of my knowledge of data structures and algorithms. We basically just use ArrayLists for everything.

I feel like that level of knowledge can be self-taught in 3-4 weeks.

personally I don't think the data structures/algorithms class has value in the sense that you will ever need to implement a linked list or sort by hand. The value comes from being really the only lass that forces you to think about things in logical and functional way. it's a way of approaching a problem that most people aren't very good at. it's one of the biggest reasons most people drop CS and go to another major, at least at my school. Most people just can't wrap their mind around thinking like this.

No such thing as unlimited storage and bandwidht.

Is backend webdev?

does the web use backend?

learn an mvc framework

go go jquery go go
jquery JQUERY WOO WOO YEAH

what Amazon service should I use to host mongodb database? right now I'm hosting it on EC2 ubuntu instance..

I hate that shit and I've never even used it.
>google
>"javascript how to X"
>first answer
>$($($($(".hih sdnisdnd")))).$.$.__$("elielie");
>imports all of jquery
>only uses it to apply some styling
Web development is a fucking joke man, it's full of right lazy cunts.

Sup fags?

Post your grids.

12 days of green. Going for a month.

>would you rather be writing code for software?
The gap between "normal programs" and web-apps has already closed considerably.
Are there so many amazon services, that it's necessary to first choose the right one for hosting a database?
contribution counting and green grids were a mistake.
Gives people an incentive to make 3 meaningless mini commits instead of just one good one.

>spend an entire day writing code, commit once
>light green grid

>fix typos and do nicer formatting, several commits
>the darkest green grid imaginable

>static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.com

This is the shittest URL in history.

>sending a PR to every trending project introducing a Code of Conduct
>one per day

Well shit, I was about to post a SQL query I needed help with and it just banned me.

I'd like to present total noobs here a GREAT intro webdev course.

The guy who teaches it is a Uni professor , he urges people to stay away from JS, bootstrap, all unnecessary frameworks and learn the basics so well so they don't need fancy resource-heavy shit. He also teaches tremendously well, and is knowledgeable as fuck. Plus, he is native American, not some Pajeet. Plus, he's laid back surfer dude. Course itself is 32 hours long (only html and css)

udemy.com/html-tutorial/

torrent is easily findable

>not purposefully pushing meaningless commits for that sexy github grid to look active to the eyes of dumb hr reps therefore having the edge over more qualified developers
that's how you get a job in 2017

Hiroshimoot apparently doesn't trust his ability to fight SQL injections, huh?

Seriously, how did those ever become a problem? How bad do you even have to be to not use prepared statements?

k y s

do you still get a permaban for attempting to invoke eval?

>wants to sell you a course on how to build websites without js
>uses js on the website he uses to offer the course
And why would anyone place value in the advice of a person who does not practice what they preach?

put it on paste bin and link it here

Let me try.

eval('var_dump($_SERVER);');

Dude, Udemy is a world famous place to sell courses, he has no connection with the site itself

Also, he doesn't say to not use JS, just to not use it when you don't need it

why are you not webdeving in laravel? what more does one need?

it is not asp

Symfony, because you want the shit you program to A: Scale and B: Not be tied to the fucking framework.

Laravel is designed to make both impossible at the benefit of being slightly easier to grasp for a beginner and having more stuff included by default.

>Not be tied to the fucking framework.
elaborate?
isnt symphony a framework itself?

why would I torture myself with PHP

Once I'm home, thanks

I have no idea.

>Not be tied to the fucking framework.
this is by far the worst meme in the framework scene, like your system wouldn't break to shit even if you removed the most meaningless framework dependency

if you dont want to be tied to the framework then dont fucking use one

torture is only if you are clueless noob
php will live far longer than you will

a sad thing to think about indeed

Laravel, Django or Ruby on Rails for a medium project ? Am noob and would like to invest time in either of those but can't make decisions for myself like a proper adult despite hours of research

>medium project
whats that?

i think that's when you do fizzbuzz in more than 1 place. probably putting it in a function too, real fancy

between small and large

Well, let's say you write a service to encapsulate a reusable behavior - as you should be, it's a good pattern - you'll do it differently in Symfony and Laravel.

In Symfony, you'll use Inversion of Control / Dependency injection, which just means that all dependencies (other services and configuration values) the service needs are provided in the constructor or some other setter method.

The service doesn't depend on Symfony's dependency injector - you can just take the class out of your project and instantiate it like normal, by calling "new".

Laravel is different. Laravel does use Symfony's dependency injector behind the scenes to provide its Facades, but the user is supposed to use these facades. If you have a dependency in your service, you just use the Facade direcly - no dependency injection needed! Great! New developers love this, because it seems so much less cumbersome than DI. Just use All of Laravel's magic functions and Facades, and your own Facades as much as you want.

But then you want to use the class in a different project. Possibly not even a Laravel one. Well, Oops. You can't. It implicitly depends on those Facades and magic functions to be there. What are you going to do? Install laravel/laravel and all your existing Facades into the new project? Who knows if that is even possible.

Trust me, this will come up eventually and then you'll deeply regret the spaghetti Laravel caused you to write.

Of course there's going to be a lot of code that will be tied to the framework. The important part is to have reusable code that is independant, too. Laravel actively prevents this.

the to and 2 that are used are for showing you are dealing with strings or integers respectively.

>But then you want to use the class in a different project
oh lets just wait for that 1 in 100000000 cases to happen

You'd be surprised. When you become a better developer, the code you write will be worth reusing.
You'll see. Maybe.

you realize that this is your argument for shitting on whole framework right?
""better developers"" and grown ups dont do this kind of shit

Yes. I think repeating mistakes from the 90s which made code bases from those times the unreadable and ununderstandable messes they are is wrong.

Interfaces and design pattern have been invented for a reason. But you go ahead, repeat their mistakes, create tightly coupled junk that depends on global state, it's the poor fuck's problem who inherits your work who has to pay the toll for it anyway.

>The service doesn't depend on Symfony's dependency injector - you can just take the class out of your project and instantiate it like normal, by calling "new".
>Laravel is different
no its not, you can literally use laravel the way you described. in fact YOUR OWN classes will almost never provide a facade because it's not worth it. you put it on the service container to later inject them when necessary

You can. And yet Laravel developers don't do that.

In the end, they'd rather save the 3 seconds it would take to configure the dependency injector than to produce clean code.

consider my jimmies rustled

but why do that..
It's one extra thing you have to keep in mind when writing code.
The rest makes even less sense and doesn't give you any pattern to follow, when you want to recall function names and arguments.

PHPs only saving grace is that you can dump it on any shared wehbost. That's why it won't die.

Mine are.

But now that I got this off my chest, I feel better.
I recognize that there are some Laravel developers who know what they're doing. I just had some really terrible experience with "code artisans".

Got a 10k raise after working 3 months, am i going to make it?

no, just quit already

can somebody recommend a book about creating backends with java?

Spring in Action

>>>spend an entire day writing code, commit once
>>light green grid
so you do your entire project then just add it to source control as an after thought? why even use git at that point?

go with express, you won't regret it. super simple and unopinionated framework.

pastebin.com/9mp8s09K

So, I've never touched SQL in my life and they gave me this query to fix.
The corrected version just tells me that "product_comment" doesn't exist despite it existing in the database.

What am I doing wrong?

>unopinionated
implying that's a good thing when your application is larger than 100 lines

Why are we still stuck with JS as the runtime in every web browser?

because it works

you have that backwards. heavily opinionated frameworks only help you when you want to build a small thing quickly. they're becoming more of a hindrance as your project grows

free cloud storage

Is having a portfolio of C# asp.net core/SQL projects enough for a web dev job? or should i bite the bullet and learn a javascript framework

>suggests javascript
Please remove yourself

Uh your version uses different quotes. You sure you are getting correct output?

>still not using the best webdev language in 2017

purescript?

What about that Haskell MV* Framework that is so so popular amongst developers.

what do you guys use for database stuff in NodeJS/Express, I've been using Sequelize but it's pretty shitty imo, so far from actual SQL

So can anybody help me figure out why my readAll function is returning an empty array?

$var=readAll();
print_r($var,$return = false);

function readAll()
{
$pdo = Database::connect();
$sql = 'SELECT * FROM Courses';
$data = $pdo->prepare($sql);
echo "sql prepared"."
";
$data->execute();
$data = $data->fetchall();
print_r($data);
$pdo -> disconnect();

return $data->fetchall();
}

Sequelize was my first node.js ORM, and I wish to try Objection.js or Bookshelf.js in the future.

If this is the only problem with php...

actually make a object from array & from string that has functions that calls everything on themselves like in javascript...

Mongoose. Haven't had the need to use SQL yet.

But i am using c#.

yeah it's good enough
should be able to get one at a place that utilizes them

2° for Mongoose. Just dont abuse populate like i did. It is NOT SQL.

You're right, I've changed every quote to double quotes and it works.
pastebin.com/EKbYrL1P

Thanks man.

youtu.be/O2Fh9VuLbno

In case you all are curious I had to specify my schema.

It works now.

>tfw when everything stays snug below 80 characters

plain sql is best. sequelize is such a pain.

object entity framework

if postgres
github.com/dmfay/massive-js

TypeORM

My website is finally making money. Like 60 cents a day. Woohoo!

Good job user!