Using WiFi because you're too lazy to run cables along the walls

>using WiFi because you're too lazy to run cables along the walls

You know who you are. Why are you even here?

>not converting a closet into a makeshift datacenter for proper networking distribution
>not running at least two drops to every room from the newly converted distribution point
>running the wires along the wall like a savage

What's wrong, did mom tell you that you couldn't?

That looks fucking awful.

There's still people not using Ethernet over power?

ha

>not running the cables INSIDE the wall
Pathetic subhumans

>fag ethernet cable management

Burn the whole house down.

ha gaaaaaaaay

this
what the fuck is wrong with you even to consider nigger-rigging fucking patch cables to the wall

The colors of the cables are a perfect representation of what it looks like overall; gay.

Cables... along the walls?

Why would you do that? Why don't you run your cables IN the walls, just like all other cabling?

Do you understand that some people live in apartments?
>house fags detected

>he chooses to give a slumlord a significant portion of his income for substandard housing instead of investing that same portion into real estate that will also provide housing
>trying to defend living in an apartment

>what is a base board

>not running 10gig fiber to every room in the house

>implying i care about my roommates throughoutput

all my shit is wired so thats all i care about.

There is no performance benefit to wiring through the walls.

I'm in a flat, concretexwalls, but as someone mentioned you could always go ehthernet over power instead of fucking up your room aesthetics.

Living in an apartment is fine if you’re poor, but i actually pay way less for a mortgage than I was paying for rent and my house value is up 60k in two years.

So what was the point of running those cables diagonally across the whole fucking room instead of putting the switch on the left side of tv and running those cables vertically next to the wall?
Still would look like shit but somewhat less shit

I'm in the same boat. My mortgage even with PMI is much less than comparable apartments/townhouses, and I'm building equity.

>wahh but what about maintenance?
If you're not a NEET, you can reasonably perform most maintenance yourself.

as somone who uses it i fucking hate it it needs unplugged all the time and is just horseshit it cuts out for no reason whatsoever

>too poor to afford in-wall cabling

You should try the latest one from TP-Link.

Powerline Ethernet improved significantly in the past few years.

Works fine for me but only after I figured out why it cut out all the time. The wall unit has some sort of power save mode it goes into when there's no activity and I can't quite figure out how to stop it.

My solution (in Windows) is
ping -t 192.168.1.1
so there's always shit going through it and it never tries to save power

I just use a powerline

>Using Wifi -> Running Cables along walls
+++ huge performance increase
+ minimal skill requirement
+ easy to take apart/replace with new tech
-- looks unaesthetic
- takes a little bit of time to setup
- costs a little more for the cables + mounts

>Running Cables along walls -> Running cables in walls
+ looks nicer
--- requires taking apart walls
--- requires high skill or lots of money
-- hard to replace
- no performance gains

Why bother?

there's still places where channeled wall skirting is not a thing?

They just put up a new apartment complex on the way to my office, those Israelis are charging about $200 more for an 1100ft^2 apt than I pay for a nearly 5k ft^2 House. Fuck landlords and property management companies.

>requires high skill or lots of money
No, it doesn't. It just requires a dry wall saw ($15), a few small pieces pieces of dry wall ($20), a small tub of dry-wall paste ($10), and Ethernet jacks and 50 ft of in-wall rated Ethernet cables ($40).

And? You can't just change the baseboard if you rent.

Think god my house has a basement in which it's mostly unfinished. Makes wiring,plumbing, everything really easy to trace,fix,run,etc. Plus if it was finished if something happened (plumbing leak for ex:) the whole ceiling would get ripped open anyway and have to be replaced. But anyway I got all my cables and coax all ran into my storage corner part of the basement. Keep my server there to along with all network hardware. Wiring looks like shit but it's a storage space so no one cares.

Don't forget you have to repaint all of the walls.

10 mins per 100 ft of cable outside walls vs tens of hours for in wall mounting. No thanks.

You tuck the wire under the baseboard.

How does one go about feeding ethe t cable through a wall? I find it hard enough to feed one from below my desk to above it and making it not fall off the desk,

Pic related is the best compromise

>Literally the only fucking intelligent post in the thread.

I need to stop coming here...

With 802.11ac there's really no big gain unless you have your router/desktop in an awful place. You're going to be capped by your provider long before the type of connection.

>not terminating that on a patch panel with spare loop

UDP packet loss is an issue with any WiFi standard.

My tplink adaptors are fine senpai, they never drop out.

All the apartments I've seen this isn't possible. It is sealed, usually with paint. Basically it is set up to easily change the carpet without removing baseboard.

>Be gay.
>Prefer wired.
>Faggotry is the result.

nice lgbt cables you fucking faggot

What the fuck am I looking at

lurk 2 more years before DNSing.

unadulterated faggotry

>implying the biggest worry is your connection speed to the internet
Home network is more important. Having a home network slower than your Internet speed is the WORST.

this looks like something a college student would think 'looks amazing'

it looks like fucking SHIT

>Rainbow

Everything must be politicized.

Kek let me tell that to the sweet old lady who I'm renting a room from

Looks like the cables in my wine cellar, except those aren't gay colored.

Even when I lived in an apartment, I *still* ran ethernet through the walls. I didn't bother telling the landlord, but I did it nicely, and put nice wall plates and everything up too. No complaints when I moved out either.

t. fags who never learn about the existence of powerline

Depends on what you're doing with them. They supposedly have encryption, but I don't know how good it is. If you're in an apartment, another unit could put a powerline adapter in their unit and access your network (they can carry across circuits and breaker boxes).

Wifi is superior if done right.
>apartment with concrete walls and lots of neighbor APs
>Three Mikrotik 802.11n dual chain PoE AP. One per room.
>Same ssid, key and 1/6/11channel, 50mw.
>35+db SNR in every corner despite all walls and interference.
>100mbit/s everywhere.
>total network cost was less than 150$ while cables would cost me 4 times more. Cutting concrete is not easy and those european ethernet outlets are not cheap.

I put holes in my wall and ran ethernet through my rooms in my apartment. I'm just not going to tell anyone about it when I leave.

Running wires on walls becuase you are too lazy to run them properly in the attic.

>repaint all of the walls
cutting out a small section and running something BEHIND THE PAINT doesn't require this

I rented an apartment, it has a patch panel in one of the wardrobes and 2x ports to every room and the courtyard

mmmm sour straws

tfw your wifi card is faster than your lan
what should i do? i dont want to buy more bs component

Not everyone is a richfag.

10gbe

Ethernet cables cost less than an 802.11ac router

>running cables along walls
>not just using a power line adapter

>Giving up your security deposit to avoid wireless

>Living in a place where your landlord will charge you for making an improvement to his unit.

That's crazy. Just do a good job, and nobody will care.

I spit my beer laughing

Landlords would secretly like it but charge you anyways. It is just free money to them.

>Not using strategically placed mirrors and high powered lasers.
It even protects against burglars.

>live at home
>can't run cable
>wifi is shit
>powerline is worse than wifi because of shitty electrical lines
>parents are too retarded to spend 100 burgers to even improve their netflix
>routinely remind them that comcast is fucking them sideways with the bill amount
>won't ever take advice about anything above

need more tubes

>didnt even know powerline existed until this thread

teh fugg

is it fine for gaming?

Surely you can atleast convince them to get some $60 tplink modem so they can stop paying $10 a month for the shitty comcast one.

>not just getting a 1000ft box of Cat5e and crimping the RJ45's onto the ends yourself
You're all a bunch of plebs.

>RJ45
You mean 8P8C you dumb piece of shit.

>cat5e

Autist.

"Hey landlord, is it cool if I wire the premises to a professional grade?"

"Sure user, as long as it's done well that's fine"

"OK thanks"

How hard is it to have a conversation up front?

>Not using fiber
What are you, poor?

>when all the cables end up in your ass

>didnt even know powerline existed until this thread
>is it fine for gaming?

It can be fine but it's very dependent on the quality of your house wiring. If you have some non-gaming uses for them as well, then buy one set, test it out, and then more later if needed. You may find your home wiring is crap or you have some noisy appliances that fuck the speeds/latency.

Hol up whitey! where's the black and brown cables? didn't you get the memo?

thanks bb

>include black and brown
>no white

jesus man, i feel like even white gaylords will be redpilled with time

Sup Forums is already full of em.
And well, Milo.

same, they start out good then they go bad after a couple years (they start to throttle and the only way to reset it is to unplug it)

t. bought multiple of them

Stop shitting up everything

Along the walls? Fuck you kiddo, you can't even notice the infrastructure in my house unless you're in the server room.

I bought a TP-Link set the other day for 20 dollars on amazon. Pretty happy with it. Mom wanted ethernet in her guest house so she could run some security cameras in the backyard (wifi reached but was flakey even with an extender, 200ft away downhill). Was going to trench the yard and bury a cable when I saw how cheap powerline ethernet was. If it doesn't work with your wiring just return it.

milo isn't even gay. false fagging is the new way to market fascist views on the internet

What are parity bits

He married a black guy

>trusting the media in 2017
milo is an actor not a real person

I share a house with 6 roommates and we do this. Some fags are too lazy to do it and use the shitty wifi instead.

God I need to play factorio

don't cheap out on long cables

>Cat5e
Pleb. Have fun bottle-necking your entire network wiring.

The fuck? How is that even possible? Do you use a 100 meter cat4 cable or what?

too many cables on the wall
I would do 10gbe between living room and server room to minimise the amount of cables