How many of you guys are on vacation? What are your thoughts on the country you're in?

How many of you guys are on vacation? What are your thoughts on the country you're in?

>Be from Canada, trying to practice my Portuguese

Portugal should fix their infrastructure. The food here is way better than in Spain. Portuguese here sounds like Spanish under static or a rather weak radio signal. The people on Setúbal are rude but elsewhere the Portuguese seem nice... nicer than Spaniards.

Also, where can I get those three-wheeled vehicles? Don't know what they're called.

Other urls found in this thread:

statista.com/statistics/264753/ranking-of-countries-according-to-the-general-quality-of-infrastructure/
youtube.com/watch?v=OucccI1pcFw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

mfw no one cares ;_______;

>leaftugal

>Portugal should fix their infrastructure

our infrastructures are one of the best in europe,what the fucking are you talking about?

the tuktuks? They're pretty much everywhere in lisbon, you rent them out with a driver though.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. People from margem sul aren't really rude though, not ruder than people from Lisbon at least. I think portuguese from portugal sounds like someone speaking underwater desu.

>our infrastructures are one of the best in europe,what the fucking are you talking about?

In Greece (island), pretty third world but good food & women. Lots of lefty posters & graffiti about. Too hot tbqh

I wouldn't call it the best but it's definitely not meme-tier

Shit, heres the link
statista.com/statistics/264753/ranking-of-countries-according-to-the-general-quality-of-infrastructure/

In Setúbal they're terrible.

Literally graffiti everywhere, my neighbour has a fridge on a soon to collapse balcony on the third floor

It depends on your area, in northern towns graffitis are a lot rarer.

Also you can try calling the town hall or something to check it out

Huh, should visit

The only reason why I'm here is because of my grandparents. Would rather have went to Porto other than that since I've never been there

Yes, it's top comfy up there

Porto or Northern Setúbal?

the norther the better ... my favorite peace of Portugal is "triangle" between Braga, Viana do Castelo and Peneda-Geres national park

t. Czech in Portugal

>Portuguese here sounds like Spanish under static or a rather weak radio signal
Keked.

>The people on Setúbal are rude
Weird. But it is close to Lisbon, so they might work there and be somewhat tired or something.

The further up north you go, the denser it gets, attraction/history-wise, although Lisbon is also a focus, for obvious reasons. If you're around those places, visit Sintra (pic related is Quinta da Regaleira there). Maybe try Coimbra as well.

Also, the pic may atract a lot of Portugal flags, so get a tripcode, maybe.

Cool, I was living in Porto last year for 5 months. Did you learn the language? I hope you're not one of the those anglos who just cannot into bilingualism

I agree with this, Canadians have no place insulting Portuguese infrastructure, at least transport wise. The streets smell like shit because of the old sewage systems sometimes though.

Also my power would cut out if I put things like the toaster and the oven on at the same time.

Good towels, high quality

>The streets smell like shit because of the old sewage systems sometimes though.
That's one of the main problems I have in both Porto and Lisbon. I guess it's because they are so old and so close to the sea. The Seagulls in particular weird me out.

About the infrastructure, it's the reason why we're bankrupt, so we'd better have a decent one, at least in Lisbon, that sucks all the money.

Aight, tripcode noted. Maybe I'll ask the question again tomorrow

Yup. Going to Coimbra next week to see some medieval play a friend is in. Been there before. Probably my prefered area so far

Falo um poco de português, mas eu intendo melhor. Aprendo portuguêse de São Paulo, mas a minha mãe é do Portugal

The biggest insult is how, as far as I can tell, it looks like Germoney "loaned" a bunch of money into Portugal, yet forced them to buy German made stuff, so all the money went back into Germoney

Then ofcourse, the Euro only benefits Northern Europe and is overvalued for the Portuguese economy. Latins got cucked.

OP here.

I'll admit, maybe I was a little harsh on the infrastructure. It is beautiful still, don't get me wrong.

I don't get what made people think the Euro was a good idea apart from ease of travel. UK was smart to stick with the pound, imho

Depends on the economy. Export-based economies benefited from the euro, the rest not so much. Guess which group Portugal belongs to.

Boa. Aprendei portugues em Mocambique. Esta uma melhor lugar para apprender porque os mocambicanos nao querem apprender Ingles.. entao eles gostam ensinar.. os portugueses mudaram a lingua quando percebem difficuldades de um estrangeiro.

Estou um Luso weeb. Gosto muito a cultura lusofona

Sorry for no accents on my computer..

Our purchasing power went to shit the moment we adopted the euro.

I wasn't around to experience life before the euro (our previous currency was the "escudo", which literally means "shield"), so I can't really make an assessment on what actually changed, but from what I'm told, money "gets you less" nowadays.

Tbh I'd watch out if I were you.. using a tripcode. It wouldn't be that hard to find a Canadian in Portugal provided you're far enough from Lisbon.

This Somali Canadian girl would always recognize me because she was apparently constantly on Sup Forums. Whenever I said I'm canadian under a portuguese flag she'd show up lel.

>Germoney "loaned" a bunch of money into Portugal, yet forced them to buy German made stuff, so all the money went back into Germoney
This is partially true. They also force us to buy shit from Spain we don't need like groceries and fish, which killed our local stuff and made us have rather expensive grocers.

But after the '74 coup there's been a lot of institutionalized corruption in the government. Since we had a very strict government police that was allowed to fine you if you were talking in a group of 4 people on the street for conspiring, so we develop this non-snitch mentality that let corruption go too far unreported. Spain and Italy had the same problem.

The Euro would be a good idea if there was Fiscal control, and less of a geographical preference for central Europe. The only geographical advantage we have is the large Oceanic territory, so we could make a fortune selling fish to Europe, but they'd cuck us out of it by making other exports a lot more expensive for us. There was basically little choice for us.

That was mostly inflation. The Escudo would've crashed just as hard because they were spending it willy-nilly, and we'd have no leverage to Europe like Switzerland or Norway do with their jew banks and oil, respectively.

Gendered nouns are a bitch for Anglos :P, but otherwise not bad at all.

Why did we even walk into this mess, again?

Also, when are we purging the current political class, in favor newer, younger blood who aren't some thieving imbecilic bunch?

Portugal

W-wwould you be willing to become an 11th province?

The CAD would put you in an advantageous position and the BASED Canadian federal government eats corruption for breakfast.

You would even have the protection of Our Kind and Gracious Leader, Emperor Trudeau II.

Just something to think about..

Younger people are going into politics, just wait a couple years

Não querem aprender Inglês? Ta diferente...

I vote for this as a Canadian with Portuguese routes. Maybe we'll adopt the Euro heh NO

As someone who's closely related to one of figureheads of young politics, I'm not sure the future is all too bright...

He's a "jotinha", just to clarify.

I don't think it can happen without a severe break of some sort. Even Otello Carvalho has said that he's regretful for doing the '74.

That said, the current generation of people was forced to live slightly worse than the last one, so maybe if a lot of the diaspora decide to return and re-invest, maybe we can get something going.

At least the new guys (the 90's guys) are a lot tougher and more practical and resourceful than the Nords, who've grown way too soft in their conform. Our engineers are great.

Maybe someday.

There's also this problem. We need a proper right-wing that's not PSD or CDS because they also got too corrupt.

We'd be your first province. There have been fishers in Newfoundland for longer than there has been a Canada or even English settlements in North America. We also have reached Australia before the Dutch, but 1 million people isn't enough to conquer the world, so we never actually settled it.

The Idea I got from Moçambique is that they prefer English a lot more than Portuguese, generally, because most of their side of the continent does too. Angola is the one that keeps the Portuguese influence.

>Going to Coimbra next week
Coimbra represent.

It's a great city, but very dead in the Summer.

Still, you should feel perfectly safe to walk around the night-life even at 4am. One of the most peaceful and youthful cities we have.

Check out the University if you can, and most of the old parts of the city should be great for a New Worlder.

All this chatter about needing proper right-wing, but we forget that we could eventually organize something ourselves. As it stands - with me having to work and all - I can't commit with any seriousness to a politically active lifestyle, but I would help in whichever way I could if something like this was to arise, and honestly, it's a good time for something of this like to be pulled off. The moment seems opportune.

How's Portugal's relationship with its former colonies? Maybe something can be arranged there?

I don't think you'll have any stride without some sort of break. Even the lefties created a party last year that got 0 representatives.

Kek, have you seen the colonies? Brazil is even worse than us, Angola has been corrupting WITH our current government, and Mozambique.

What the fuck happens in Mozambique anyway? And Guinae? How come we never hear from them? I know more people from Cabo Verde than Mozambique.

>Setúbal
Pretty much Portugal's Detroit

Macau is doing pretty well from what I hear

This. But it'll probably be absorbed into China in 2047

I would wife a portuguese-canadian qt, just saying.. maybe brazilian-canadian.. but I see them as way too normie for some reason lol.

>We'd be your first province. There have been fishers in Newfoundland for longer than there has been a Canada or even English settlements in North America. We also have reached Australia before the Dutch, but 1 million people isn't enough to conquer the world, so we never actually settled it.
Many have wanted the clay that is our land, and most failed. You can get special language rights and determine your immigration policy, best I can do friendo.

>Não querem aprender Inglês? Ta diferente...
>The Idea I got from Moçambique is that they prefer English a lot more than Portuguese, generally, because most of their side of the continent does too. Angola is the one that keeps the Portuguese influence.

Talvez é porque viveu numa lugar um poco rural... tinha muitas gentes pobre.. talvez eles gostaram dapprender mas nao foi possivel

>be Finn
>be here

In Nice. Pretty nice actually. Enjoying the good weather, beaches, and great food.

>select all images with commercial trucks

Pls.

Well yeah, since the conditions for giving it back included some temporary stasis like Hong Kong did. It's basically a tax haven until the term ends, in which it'll be just China with some prettier buildings.

Great place to be a Portuguese and/or English teacher, though.

>first province
Yeah it's okay. We'd probably ruin Canada faster than you'd help us. We can still visit, and share Bacalhau.

Sorry m8, I am of the male category. Flattered though

>What the fuck happens in Mozambique anyway?

It's kind of a shitshow. It runs like a roman province. Decadent and tyrannical capital city while most of everyone else is living in poverty but sticking to traditional routes.

I'd wager it's one of the countries with the most untouched african culture.

It was also not very racist at all and easy to get black qts.. but a lot of them have HIV...

Yeah, they fuck like rabbits and don't really care about race.

Would you move if you had the chance?

Kek I know, I was just saying I like the culture. Do you come from a big Canadian city? Are lusos in Canada reasonably Luso and open to other ethnicities?

Porto is the biggest city I've ever lived in. I come from a white/native solitude in the maritimes.

Most of the black people I know originate from Mozambique, and they view the colonial war negatively, in the sense that they supported a federalized global portuguese state. Nowadays they hate Mozambique and live in Portugal instead.

I'm from Hong Kong Jr., Canada. The locals call it Vancouver. Portugal is whiter than my home city

I met a lot of Mozambicans who were still kinda loyalist to the empire. Ofcourse I'm a whitey so that kind of person would flock to me, but there were others who would tell me of the cruelty of the portuguese soldiers as well.

The guy I lived with was a black portuguese empire soldier. He sometimes talked about the war, but I was shocked when I found out he was on the LOSING side. Massive alcoholic desu.

Oh yeah, and I only know one other luso in Canada. I try to avoid her now. She was a pathological liar and belittling to no end

>Portugal should fix their infrastructure.
There is literally no money for that.

And where you can get depends on the city

Yeah, there was cruelty on both sides... my godfather and most of my uncles fought in the war at some point, and they all have pretty gnarly accounts of it. None of them got mental issues out of it though, which I estrange.

My godfather, particularly, voluntarily stayed there longer than he was supposed to. He even ended up staying there as a civilian. I think he lived there for ten years or so as a civilian, after having served in the military for like six years or something.

He told me that he once saw a portuguese military jeep dragging the corpses of dead black insurgents across the military base at which he was stationed. Also told me about them killing their own for not wanting to fight the portuguese and other shit.

To quote him

>We had a tyranny, but we had the world as well
>Now we have only tyranny

Ofcourse, everyone in Mozambique knows they have a tyranny still, but not everyone agrees on the "we" part of the previous statement.

And the cold war stuff that happened after was a lot worse than the colonialism stuff. A lot of people have nostalgia for colonialism because the Cold War instigated civil war was just a fucking nightmare apparently.

>Nostalgic

We call it saudade desu

The war was fought by people who didn't really want to fight it. Regimes suck for that. Guinea was particularly gnarly, as the guys were more organized. It was basically our Vietnam, except we were even less prepared for it.

Of course, neither party really benefitted from it, and everyone is shittier for it.

I met a portuguese guy in Portugal who had actually grown up for a bit where I was staying in Portugal.

Some guy in Mozambique once invited me to his "house", which was a burned down mansion with little thatch huts all around. He shood me away when me and his daughter started having some chemistry haha.

But anyway, the place he described me where this house was, was near this mansion. There were several destroyed ones.

I told him the story about the man and the burned down mansions and he got really sad and changed the subject.

Glad I've been living an interesting life.

I gotta go guys nice chatting with you.

They're almost synonyms

Sim, saudades, uma das palavras mais bonita do portugues ;)

>I met a portuguese guy in Portugal who had actually grown up for a bit where I was staying in Portugal.

*where I was staying in *Moz*.. whoops

See ya, m8. Banter tomorrow

A friend of mine's grandfather once saved up for two months so he could afford to pay the fine for killing a black dude. Which he then did (I think he had been shitty to him or his daughter).

Shit was fucked up in the interior of the country.

Weird stuff. My relatives lived in Nampula when they were there. They never had an issue with the locals - it was quite the opposite, most of the time.

My godfather told me that he went to South Africa once (during the apartheid) and walked into a negro bar, apparently. Everyone was weirded out, and he and his peers didn't quite get the problem. From what he's told me, the police prompted them to leave.

This was like in the 30's or something. Dude was old.

Point being that it's perfectly natural for tensions to arrise, and supposedly the Portuguese were supposed to be one of the nicest colonisers to the locals.

Yeah, the portuguese don't seem to'v'e had the locals by a leash as tightly as other colonizers did.

There was a lot of investment going into Portugal's overseas territories, and a lot was done to try to unify the worldwide populace of the empire under the portuguese identity. That worked out pretty well in many places, Timor being an example of that.

Luanda was considered the "Paris" of Africa in 1871 or something. From what I'm told by my relatives, the people in overseas territories felt, for the most part, a part of Portugal.

General Norton de Matos proposed moving the empire's capital to Angola, in order to effectively assert Portugal and its colonies as a federal state. That's what I've read, anyway.

H-hey... We're not THAT bad...
It gets really bad south of lisbon, across the river. Seixal, Barreiro, Moita, you name it, are all much more deserving of that comparison. Setubal is where it starts to get a little better (although I admit, it's pretty shitty but getting better)

I've lived here for about 15 years and only in the last 2-3 years have I started seeing actual tourists, and not some barefoot backpacker britbong

>General Norton de Matos proposed moving the empire's capital to Angola
Oh boy, the memes would've never have ended.

As for the colonies/colonisers relationship that's called lusotropicalism. Instead of burning everything down, we told gave them goods in exchange for their cooperation, which made them dependend of the relative luxury. We basically sold civilisation as a drug. There's even a fast and furious scene explaning it, kek.

youtube.com/watch?v=OucccI1pcFw

Reporting in.
Mexican """""""""""""tourist""""""""""""" in the jewnited states
>What are your thoughts on the country you're in?
4/10

Very descriptive

nah setúbal is shit sempai
margem sul is acceptable tho

porto is beautiful

it's very nice over there. my gf is from there

>H-hey

this is awesome. how come i never heard of it

>Portuguese Education
Although no, I learned it in school.

i was talking about fast and furious 5, sorry i didn't explain it

Im in Portugal in vacation from uni until September

Yesterday I was chilling at night in a deserted parking lot with a couple friends and undercover cops pulled up and searched us for drugs which is weird because I thought it was decriminalized here.

Other than that they were cool with us started talking about pokemon go and phones

Oh. I only saw it from a Brazilian poster here as well.

>I thought it was decriminalized here.
It is to consume. But if you have over a certain limit, it's assumed you're selling, which is illegal. I don't know the numbers, but foreigners sometimes push it, so policemen usually just take it away from you.

only for personal consumption. trafficking is still illegal. over a certain limit the law assumes it's for trafficking.
but it's chill, though. as long as it's not much, they usually just check you out and leave you be. you probably were in a bad neighbourhood, which is where they usually do their check-ups. trafficking is a bad thing here

anyone in lisbon?

yeah

mas és tuga? queria conhecer um dos estrangeiros