/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Handy overview of available parts (outdated prices / builds)
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, try to include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, and size

CPUs:
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i3 8100 - Better budget CPU; extra cost of the currently available Z mobos lessens the value of the CPU
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 1700 - Best value for multithread performance right now. 1700x and 1800x is a waste of money if you are not afraid of overclocking.
>i7 8700(k) - Good all-rounder with high clock speed and 6 cores. Good luck actually getting one though.
>Threadripper/Used Xeons: Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Rendering

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 if you want to overpay a little.
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070 / 1080 are standard choices. Vega 56 / 64 if you can get it cheap.
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>Consider a 240GB or larger SSD.
>Consider a Wireless Network Adapter, either 2.4 or 5GHz

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144929
mellanox.com/page/products_dyn?product_family=260&
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

RISIN UP, BACK ON THE STREETS.

Is there any truth to ryzen offering a "smoother" gaming experience over intel cpus? Would it be worth upgrading a 4790k to a ryzen cpu?

I'm noob, help me. If I have 4k display, can I play games on 1080p like if I had only 1080p display? Doubt my 1050 Ti will be enough for 4k gayming.

Not really. i5's had some stutter issues, but it didn't affect i7's because of their extra threads.

Turn down the resolution in the game to 1080p. Most games automatically set the game to most optimal settings based on your hardware.

Ryzen is more stable however you have to consider their lower SC/QC

The 4790k has almost identical SC/QC performance to the 1700/1800x line with half cores. It's really up to you to decide whether you need moar coars or not.

Rate my shit

mITX because lol why wouldn't you

Thinking of getting a 7800x over the 8700k because of the extra pcie lanes. Is it worth it? Is the 7800x really as bad as people say it is or is it just a meme?

I wanted to wait for raven ridge on desktops but my computer is shitting apart so I need to upgrade some parts right now. Since I need to buy a new motherboard, RAM and a CPU, does it make sense to buy an A8-9600, 16 GB of 3200+ Ram, and an AM4 mainboard, so that I have a temporary solution until I can buy an R7 APU once it becomes available?

Impeccable choices if you ask me. Make sure to do PCI passthrough with that GPU as well for maximum really nice(s). Can't say anything bad except for future upgrades get an NVME SSD and another 8GB RAM. And do me_cleaner.

Thanks for the input. How shit is the stock cooler for the i5?

Well, if the noctua low profile cooler is your only option, don't bother and just use the stock cooler. It's just as quiet and efficient. But I don't know your case, you might be able to fit a bigger one. That CPU won't really need a bigger one though unless you overclock it like mad.

Pretty sure something like the Cryorig C7 would fit

. Since I have a Ryzen 1700, I just tab out of a game when I don't feel like playing it any longer. And then I just start another one with a browser and an audiobook in the background. If that level of multi tasking sounds attractive, you should buy a Ryzen.

Does Ryzen 5 1600 need DDR4 or DDR3 ram?

An R3 1200 should be a decent upgrade from my i5-750 right?

Not really, save up a little more cash and go for a 1400 at least.

I thought about it but I don't use more than 4 threads for anything

Which motherboard should I use to get minimum 4.8GHz on 8700k?
Gigabyte has some available but I have bad experience with their quality. Asus has a few boards but their naming scheme/segmentation is terrible and I have no idea which ones are better.

then why even "upgrade". You will be paying for mobo + ram + cpu for not a significant improvement. Also you'll see how much those extra threads make a difference in everything. If anything you should buy an i7 870 and save up later for when the ryzen refresh comes.

what mobo will guarantee me at least 5.5ghz on an i3-8350k?

>Build pc in May 2016
>Got 16GB of DDR4 3000 for $63
>Kind of want to go to 32GB
>Check price today
>$155
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144929
Jesus fuck

Avoid the cheap ones which have a 3+3 choke arrangement.

>R5 1600s max system memory speed: 2667MHz
does this mean a ddr4 3200mhz ram won't work?

assuming you're not fishing for replies, you do know that no overclock is "guaranteed" right? it's called the silicon lottery for a reason, you have a chance at not winning.

r8 h8 and masturb8 m8s

you tell me

>case window
You must be over 18 to post here.

It will. Thank you!

rate pls

np.

what mobo and ram btw?

What the fuck is a GPU passthru and why is this relevant?

If you buy a LGA 2066 motherboard now you can use it for Cannonlake-X next year.

I desire a case like this.

Get two 1080s

Holy shit. It's a real case. I can't believe it.

will that 650W psu will be enough for two 1080s ?

Thinking this

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

Could someone recommend me a reasonably priced 1440p IPS monitor to go with my GTX 970?

with this

MSI B350M PRO-VDH AM4 AMD B350 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

sounds good. just make sure its on the qvl list, although thats not a guaranteed indicator. my ram was not on the qvl list for my mobo and it works fine at (near) rated speed.

Is it really a bad time to build pc now? When will things normalize and get better/cheaper?

When will non-Z motherboards for Coffee Lake be coming out?

ASRock have really nice power delivery on their mid-range Z370 stuff. The Extreme4 and Gaming K6 models both have 12-phase setups with good quality MOSFETs, caps and chokes to boot. You won't beat them for overclocking potential without looking at the really high end.

Probably not until early next year.

>Shills vs Fanboys edition
More like bait edition

>G4560/G4600
This is bait.

please guys, will my plan work?

If you want to boot Linux (try to actually own your computing environment), but run Windows games and software in a VM, you need to pass through your graphics card and then just install the Windows drivers like normally. Once set up, this way of doing it is usually less bothersome or buggy than Wine or dual booting.

Spent all night researching what parts I need

Please Sup Forums tell me I haven't fucked up too much. Sorry it's not on PcPartsBuilder.com

I want to click order before bedtime.

sexxxi boi

If you don't do that it won't use the graphics card?

Can anyone recommend a nice mid tower that has 2 optical drives, room for a 280mm liquid cooler, has tempered glass side panel maymay and isn't chocked to shit with LEDs? Pic-related is basically perfect, but the having the aforementioned cooler would not be feasible with 2x optical drives.

Why do you need two optical drives?
The only case I know of that comes close to meeting your requirements is the Enthoo Pro M but it only has 1 optical bay.
If you're willing to move up to a full tower, the Enthoo Luxe has a tg version and room for 3 optical drives

I've made a huge mistake..

Try blowing into the front air intake

Honestly, I probably don't really need 2, but I like having a bd and dvd so I can keep regions set differently on either which makes it easier to watch stuff over the 2, but it's more-so laziness at that point.

I'll look into that one too, thanks.

just get an external usb dvd drive. Heck, I'm amazed there's someone who even needs physical media in 2017

I like to own physical copies of some things. That is an option too, but it's sorta tacky. Thanks for the advice.

TFW i5 8400's price is higher than Ryzen 1600x in my country

Gskill or Corsair for RAM?

>buying a locked CPU with an expensive mobo meant for OC

>would not recommend Vengeance

shit list

hi grandpa
how's your pentium holding up

Screencap this
B450/X470 coming next January with pinnacle ridge release on Feb

There's no Ballistix Tracers where I am, only Sport LT and Tactical.

Which is better?

DELID THIS

>tfw ram in this pic costs at much as a fucking cpu now

Yes

(fucking retard)

Is there a guide for recommended GPU temps?

is pcie 4.0 even something to be excited about yet? I thought graphics cards couldn't even saturate the pcie 3.0 we have now

no shit sherlock

You can buy a 100 Gbit/s Ethernet adapter for PCIe-4.0
mellanox.com/page/products_dyn?product_family=260&

well, that's cool i guess. But I don't think comcast will ever offer more than 1 Gbit/s in my lifetime

planning on upgrading my system, would like some feedback.
current specs :
2500k @4.8ghz
16gb 1600
r9 390
2*500gb SATA SSDs

planned upgrade:
r7 1700
x370 STRIX
16gb 3000

idk if I should try to upgrade my GPU or just hold off till Navi or 11**. current monitor is 1080p 60hz so I don't think I'll see much improvement from a new GPU.

edit, also planning on adding a 960 Evo 500gb NVMe drive

>R5 1600 or i5 8400
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK
Is the R5 worth the AM4 upgrade path?

Any monitor recommendations for a fairly small desk(~50cm from edge to wall)? Only care about it being cheaper than 150 bongs and larger than 22 inches.

Why would you want an R7 APU? Is this an ITX server?

>buying ram
>see 16GB (2x8GB), 3000MHz DDR4, CL16-18-18-38, 1.35V $250
>then 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 with white LED, 15-17-17-35, 1.35v $245
>## - ## - ## - ##
what the hell do these numbers mean?

Latency
Lower is better

Buy the Intel
Intel has smoother frame rates and less jitter

I don't think Ryzen supports DDR3

Anything with at least 4 phases should manage that. Very mild OC for the 8700K.

What are you doing that you want 6 cores but a 1050Ti? You're probably overpaying on the giant gayming MSI card. I'd get better ram. I've had bad results with Vengeance LPX not even reaching XMP, check the QVL to learn your expected ramspeed. What are you filling up that case with? Even microatx boards have good vrms these days and that gpu comes in a halfslot version.

Check QVL so you get the most of your ram, get an SSD. Wow that's a cheap TG case.

This is a terrible idea, if you want more gpu performance get the 1080Ti and buy another one for cheap when it starts falling behind but you should be able to manage 144fps@1440p and 60fps@4K with one 1080Ti easy.

I like

Remember it's not just the ram, it's also the memory vrm of your board which usually isn't listed anywhere and the current BIOS. At launch all the AM4 boards had anemic ramspeeds below XMP but a some of them were fixed with BIOS updates.

In brief only get it if a recent QVL list says it can reach ~3000MHz at least and update BIOS.

All the AIB partners have been putting great VRMs in midtier and even microATX boards lately. Would only need better with exotic cooling.

Is that USD? That's an awful lot for a GTX 1060.

>contrasts
>colors
>3D shaders
>AI suddenly appears dull and predictable, audio is overly compressed
>color depth

Make sure it doesn't throttle and your fans don't spin too fast, it's that simple.

Will Zen2 pwned Intel? Will AMD add more Cores again?

You're going from 4 threads to 16. Do you really need them?

Who else /8400/ here? I cant beleive you can get with 5% of top teir gaming performance for 189 dollars in 2017.

I'm throughly confused by these chipset naming schemes

My use case is a lot of VM work. I don't need good graphics

check out this badass CPU cooler. i'd like to use this for a wall-mounted build

that is all

Just get a VESA mount.

No, they haven't. Many of the mid-range Z370 boards have garbage tier VRM setups, with 3+3 designs using lower grade components that will get hotter than the sun trying to overclock an 8700K. MSI in particular.

Got this stupid "built-in" desk stuck to the wall on 3 sides, with the only free edge facing the chiar.

the X makes it sound cool