Fedora Linux General --- /FeLiGel/ ---

This is the General about the one true Linux Desktop OS. The one the man, myth, and legend himself, Linus Torvalds uses. The one where you have to manually add yourself to the wheel group. The one that by default comes with NO non-free packages and you have to add the repos yourself. The one that is bleeding edge. The one with more officially supported variants than you can shake a stick at. Fedora.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/openSUSE/comments/5mjom2/why_wicked_is_the_default_connection_manager/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sup Forums really needs to respect this distribution a little more. it doesn't get the respect it deserves

and what is the discussion about?

DNF is slow, hence fuck it

benefits
>delta RPM's, saving time and bandwidth
>SELinux by default (fedora was the first to do this)
>contributions to the FOSS community are made upstream not to fedora, so everybody can use them (even ubuntu)

dnf can't be slow, it uses deltas (differences between what you have installed, and what's available) also it uses a community optimised dependency resolver library called libsolv which is fast as shit, ipso facto, you are retarded

All distros are basically repackaged Fedora now

Atheists 0
Christians 1

Tried Fedora KDE spin a few days ago...

KDE discover dosent open by default.
Cant access samba shares in dolphin (the file explorer).
Download ~900 MB of updates, install and restart... now KDE discover opens but dosent fucking work
Samba still fucked.
Touchpad is using free open source libinput by default now and not synaptic (actually fucking works) closed source driver. Cant change touchpad speed/sensitivity because libinput dosent support this. So must swipe several times to get pointer across the screen.

All that shit on top of not coming with required multimedia codecs. Some youtube videos play on chromium others dont?? Time to play find the codec! Is it ffmpeg? Something to do with flash? Gstreamer? Another thing entirely? Place your bets now!

Overall I rate this distro 0/10 for fucking unusable.

Back to opensuse. One of the few decent KDE implementations aside from NEON and Manjaro. Still need to play find the codec but at least most of the stuff fucking works out of the box.

>in before use GNOME spin
fuck GNOME

why should I use it instead of Ubuntu? It has less packages (some of which, like tumbler for thunar, are broken). And it's bleeding edge in things I actually would like to be more conservative (like the kernel).

>Back to opensuse
If Fedora feels bad even after brokenSUSE - it's hard to imagine how it would fell after a good distro.

>openPEPE
my nigga

brokenSUSE?

Im on leap 42.3, apart from the codec fuckey everything just works. Yast is absolutely glorious as well, can even be run inside a terminal window with its ncurses interface.

No reason to use RHEL based shit when Ubuntu exists.

>ancient kernel
>zypper which installs a lot of shit even when you tell it not to (have to lock fucking everything)
>Yast which is slow as fuck (even in terminal) and likes to create conflicts
>Folders and files are not in default places
>overall lack of polish
>Bloated base with two fucking network managers (default one should be ununstalled right away)
I remember that I made openPEPE to perform well in the end. But why do I need all this fuckery when there are better distros out there which work alright out of the box.

what do you use now?

>ancient kernel
4.4 is hardly ancient

>zypper which installs a lot of shit even when you tell it not to (have to lock fucking everything)
Its not that big of a deal. Even 1TB SSD's are cheap now.

>Yast which is slow as fuck (even in terminal) and likes to create conflicts
Never experienced this.

>Folders and files are not in default places
Like what? I genuinely don't know about this but if true I would agree this is a definite negative against opensuse.

>overall lack of polish
I found this to be true with 13.x it was just broke as fuck by default. But since leap 42.x its been great for me.

>Bloated base with two fucking network managers (default one should be ununstalled right away)
wicked for ethernet
networkmaneger for wireless

The only reason they keep networkmanager is for the system tray app in most DE's. There isnt one for wicked.

>gnome or kde
no other options?

For what opensuse?

There's plenty of other DE's but im not gonna tell you they are actual options. Opensuse is known for its solid KDE implementation. For all I know Opensuse with GNOME might be as horrific as Fedora with KDE is. I haven't tried it so I don't know, I have only used KDE.

All I know is just because it is there dosent mean it actually works or works well.

Hello fellow KDE user

I prefer dick too

What's the most stable DE for fedora?

xfce4. it gets new features rarely and it just werks.

Fedora is 100% moar stable and stronger than mint and ubuntu combined, best os until debian

why are you ignoring the debian openssl backdoor?

This

I mean who cares about wayland and vsynch

Not him but will try to answer.
Leap kernel is not ancient but it is old (even Debian has a newer one). Compared to 4.9 I've got a shorter battery life and worse overall perfomance. Pretty sure they had their reasons to go with 4.4 but a system with this kernel is actually slower.

Still see no reason to use wicked when everybody else use networkmanager. All it does is slowing boot times.

Never had problems with Yast because I remove it. It's really slow and buggy in my experience.

Running Tumbleweed right now. It's better than Leap but is still annoyng because of all the bloat you have to have (why zypper keeps installing Gnome Software center back if it still doesn't work with openSUSE?). Also it always has problems (can't launch AppImage right now) and compared to Arch it's far less stable. I'd delete it but I'm too lazy to setup a new system. I really can't justify the existence of openSUSE and why anyone recommends it.

About wicked...

reddit.com/r/openSUSE/comments/5mjom2/why_wicked_is_the_default_connection_manager/

tl;dr the slow boot with wicked is because of "networks that do not have IPv6 or have non-compliant IPv6 implementations"

All the rest is anecdotal. I don't care about old kernels as long as they work with my hardware.

Yast has always worked great for me. It has never been super fast but its fast enough and works which is all I need.

>distro-specific general
>filled with bickering autistic preteen distrohoppers that do nothing but reinstall and change wallpapers 24/7
God, this board is shit.