I have an old Pavilion 4535 with Windows 98 on it but around 20 years ago it got a virus and my family just put it away...

I have an old Pavilion 4535 with Windows 98 on it but around 20 years ago it got a virus and my family just put it away. Can I use Malwarebytes with Windows 98? Or what should I use instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/USB-Cable-Adapter-2-5-Inch-3-5-Inch/dp/B000I0VIYE
youtube.com/watch?v=39Zfxevf7-4&t=171s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nuke it and restart from scratch. all data will be lost.

Any good ways to do that?

Copy whatever data you need to safe backup.

Then reformat all, install a firewall, like Smoothwall, and make sure you don't catch too much malware. Note: you will need two Ethernet ports.

I do have the hp repair cd which just install all factory programs. Why do I need to install a firewall? And do I have to enter safety mode to reformat the HDD?

do you have another computer? try connecting the hard drive using one of these
amazon.com/USB-Cable-Adapter-2-5-Inch-3-5-Inch/dp/B000I0VIYE
then you can salvage the data.

if you don't have another computer, the other way would be with a linux live CD (to boot) and a USB stick (to copy the data to), but it'll be painfully slow as I suspect the USB ports could be USB 2 or even USB 1.

once you saved the important stuff (pics, documents, bookmarks, address books, etc) if you want to restart from scratch, boot from the hp repair CD. the steps should show up on screen after that.

Can I use Eraser just to wipe everything?

Sup Forums everybody

put linux on it and use it for web browsing and other light work for another 10 years.

that thing was already obsolete back then just throw in the garbage

>Thinks old pics are obsolete

Dban > reinstall windows 98 > use this artifact for really old games

Is Linux a better solution than Windows 98?

That thing wont run any modern linux anyway, just build a retro 98 rig

>Why do I need to install a firewall?
While you don't have to, the machine is so old that it will not run modern programs at acceptable speed. Most likely you have another machine so the most useful thing it can do is to serve as a firewall, and for that it has enough oomph.

Is it decent for dos gaming?

How does one get a virus on 98 nowadays? Take the HDD out of the PC and hook it up to your main one using an IDE to USB adapter and back up whatever personal files are there.

Also, if you reinstall Windows 98 on that thing, install ClamWin and Clam Sentinel. ClamWin is the only antivirus that still supports Windows 98/2000/ME that I know of.

You can't just throw it away.

Is the sound card/chip Sound Blaster compatible?

DBAN then reinstall your chosen OS.
GNU/Linux or FreeBSD will work great.

Is clamwin free? And not sure if the soundcard matters much.

Will Debian work on this PC?

It is free.

Also, I'm asking if the sound card/chip is Sound Blaster compatible because a lot of DOS games relied on the Sound Blaster. If you just have the software synth, you could set the music to Sound Canvas and it'll work (or at least in DOSBox).

Just format C: and fresh install Win98.

Nah, it will be too old to do that reasonably. It'll be far more useful for playing old Win9x and DOS games.

Wait, OP wants to use it for DOS games?
A 400MHz Celeron? As a DOS machine?

Fucking amateur hour.

Why the fuck not? It's more than powerful enough, and not powerful enough for anything modern. Only problem is if you want games that use specific older cards or rely on CPU timing.

upgrade , put ram , cpu , gpu hard to find , but would be a cool project

>Is it decent for dos gaming?
Sure. DOS games were written not to require too much CPU. Try Linewars II as an example. Sound might be a problem.

>Sound might be a problem.
Get an old Sound Blaster then. A PC of that age should have at least 1 ISA slot, generally intended for a modem -- if there's one in there remove it.

press the big button on the front near the square thing and insert the compact disquete into the exposed tray, then follow the prompts on the screen

are you this fucking underage?

Might as well just keep 98 on it with DOS mode.

Can't you just get the key and reinstall windows 98?

Just throw away the damn thing, you can find 5 years old decent hardware for free in the local dumpster if you're willing to wash your hands afterwards, guarantee it. You run into all kinds of problems with hardware that ancient, believe me i tried.

Ask toolbar

>How does one get a virus on 98 nowadays?
>...around 20 years ago it got a virus and my family just put it away.

>You run into all kinds of problems with hardware that ancient, believe me i tried.
like what? are you too stupid to find software for it, treat it like shit or both?

Like windows and most DEs not supporting the GPU no matter what? Try browsing with a pentium 3 in cpu render mode, i fuckin dare you.

There's no reason to let this machine go into the internet.
Copy anything important out, wipe the fuck out of it, install a clean new copy of Win98, and use it for dos/tricky win95/98 games, like gearhead garage and jedi knight.

Also get a voodoo 3 card for MAXIMUM COMPATIBILITY.

flash reactos or freedos and stop being a faggot

Wrong desu, it will run debian jessie which has longer support then windows 7. I installed debian jessie on my gateway pentium last weekend and it ran acceptibly slow.
youtube.com/watch?v=39Zfxevf7-4&t=171s

Being realistic it would run puppy linux or tinycore.
How much ram does that machine have?
It could host a server desu.
How is react OS on a pentium?. Why not just download a 98 iso.