Do you have a dual (or triple/quad/etc) boot system?

and why or why not (don't count any dual boot?

I've got Ubuntu and Windows 10. Windows 10 is for games and programming with Visual Studio if I need to. I'm moving everything else to Ubuntu.

I don't dual boot because GNU/Linux does everything I need. For games I have a Windows VM with GPU passthrough.

>GNU/Linux does everything I need
>Uses Windows VM to do things it doesn't do.
Ok user, keep lying to yourself.

The whole point is that GNU/Linux is able to pass a GPU through to a VM for when I need it. I don't think Windows can do that.

> HP Envy
Windows 10
Debian 9
Ubuntu 16

> MacBook Pro
MacOS High Sierra

I spend almost all my time on Debian and MacOS, though.

Fairly sure that Windows 2012 hyperv shit has some form of it.

But also I am calling out
>I don't dual boot because GNU/Linux does everything I need.
But if that was the case you would never use a Windows VM as GNU/Linux should handle everything no?

I'm saying that GNU/Linux does everything necessary to make dual booting pointless. Including being able to run a Windows VM.

I'm downloading Windows 8.1 to play games on my Macbook Pro 2011.

After i realize Krita is really good and easy to use software i completely stop using windows. Only linux mint now.

thoughts on something like unraid (or anything else like it, i don't know any alternatives) on a home computer/laptop with a multiboot system that doesn't need to reboot between OSs?

>Debian 9
>Ubuntu 16
So why do you have two different Linuix distros? Isn't just having the one good enough?

Who's this jeetstress?

I got scared of wannacry and I know Windows XP isn't going to last me forever (especially since firefox wants to leave early), so I'm trying to transition my workload to another platform

was triple booting XP with linux mint MATE and FreeBSD (also with MATE). I liked FreeBSD, but I still don't know how to configure my firewall, so I'm down to dual booting XP and Mint.

I'm still struggling with it as some tasks are really not smooth at all under Linux

Desktop dual boots Ubuntu and win10 for similar reasons (games and Photoshop), laptops run Ubuntu only, work desktop also runs Ubuntu only

I used to be like this until I thought about how people with physical disabilities often have no choice but to use Windows and said to myself that I might kill myself if the disability forced me to use Windows. Also people like along with the general inconvenience of restarting my entire computer just to play a game for a few hours ground me down and now I'm strongly considering installing the Steam client on Linux, both native and wine, so I can further avoid using Windows. I already bought a ps4 for the same reason.

Is there any way to configure a linux machine so that logging into a certain user account in lightdm, or whatever login screen the system uses, dumps you into a VM?

GPU passthrough is super convenient and slick if you have dual-monitors, and you avoid having to use wine or have proprietary software like steaming running on your GNU/Linux host so it's nice for me.

Desktop: Fedora and Win10
Laptop: Arch and Win 7
Netbook: Arch and WinXP

> MacBook
> not even 2009+

Do you have a sauce on that wallpaper (if it's 2880x1800 or larger)? It looks dope

If you count the PXE rom as a gateway to multiboot, then I boot several.

If you mean, do I have my EFI boot manager or GRUB2 setup on my main workstations on a fixed storage medium, no and I would gain no daily benefit from doing so.

I consider doing that with my new machine for a while but I have several problems.

My biggest issue is that, after reading some guides, I learned that you need to isolate your GPU and Lenox won't be able to use it. it feels better too have two graphics cards and offer the good one to an operating system I hate. I would also have to deal with mouse and keyboard grabbing because I like to have an IRC client and my web browser on my second monitor while I game. Finally, it feels hypocritical to bash Windows all day on Sup Forums then boot into windows for games. I feel like I should at least do everything I can to do something, even gaming, within Linux before I boot into Windows as a last resort.

I haven't done research into it yet, but I'm hoping I could use something like a farmer to restrict what the steam client can do and say within my system. I'm also pretty sure that Steam through Wine would only be able to see what other Wine programs are.

I'll upload it in a minute

"Programming"
> Visual Studio
eh

I don't bother anyway: nothing I want to do I can't do in OSX.

In recent years have had a Linux part' for hacking, and Windows for games, but I'm not interested in either of those anymore.

Follow up question, why 2 distros that are Debian based.

nice meme bro xD!!

I have Antergos and Windows 10 for when I can't get a game to work with Wine

I used to have a dual boot system on my laptop

and then they stopped developing remixOS.

I'm actually quite annoyed by this. Having Android on my laptop with a standard Window manager was kind of cool. Not that useful but cool regardless.

>lol im going to shit on Visual Studio so I get cred

For the two GPUs I just use the internal GPU in my i7 for Linux, it's plenty powerful enough to play videos in mpv and have 2 monitors. Also for keyboard and mouse stuff I use synergy which lets you share your mouse and keyboard between two computers (although in this case just one). I don't think it's really hypocritical to bash Windows then boot into for games as It's not like I like using Windows, I just need it to run a some games. Although you should probably check how many of your games are steam compatible first because if all the ones you care about are then native would be better.

I just have Windows 10 and run Mint through VM when I need to code for a school assignment.

windows 10 for general stuff and gaming and ubuntu for work and fucking around

I have a Windows 10 and Arch dual boot, but I'm honestly considering deleting the Windows partition.

On one hand, I could use the space (it's like 300GB, same as the Arch partition); on the other hand, I'm fairly good at managing the space I have. But then, I almost *never* boot into Windows anymore, and I don't think I ever will again with this computer; Windows is horrendously slow, I have no need for games or any "only works well on Windows" kinds of software. To be clear, I've been on Arch for nearly two years, have learned quite a bit about Linux, and have only booted back into Windows maybe 3-4 times total, at least 2 of which were to see what would happen upon logging in.

So, I don't know. The hoarder in me wants to keep the Windows partition just in case, but the realist in me says "you literally don't use it, and even if it were on your hard drive, you'd probably just use Wine or something else to avoid booting into Windows. Move the important junk to your Linux partition and get back your space."

cri cri

Also, forgot to add tags, but no one will read that regardless.

I have 8 gb of ram and can pass GPU to virtualbox dual boot is for retarded noob this days and rarely need to run windows

You could just keep a Windows install ISO just in case you need it to make a Windows VM or something.

I'm 99.9% a Linux user. I primarially use Arch and Ubuntu for different tasks each. Arch on more permanent machines and Ubuntu for more media-centric and server environments.

The only thing I use Windows for, is to play games via steam and moonlight streaming from a headless system I have connected to my router. If it hangs up for any reason or does funny Windows crap, I've got tigervnc installed for unfucking it without connecting a monitor.

I know the feel bro, my Story with GNU/Linux was nice, on windows ME /XP times I found Mandrake 8.0 CDs when I was 15 in a magazine, I had no idea about file systems, just put the god dam cd running windows ME, it ask me for reboot my machine, and a windows 7 installer (maybe more modern) appeared, that thing installed Mandrake alone very easy. Without internet and just messing around I found Gnome, KDE, etc, my winmodem didn't work so went to a friend house to read internet pages about, spended like 1 month to learn how to compile drivers and packages on my !686 , finally found how to make work my win driver using a RedHad precompiled driver and the command line PPPOE dialup. I survive all highschool with the koffice and shit that came on that distribution. Now I think how is posible being ubuntu so easy people these days could complain.

here bb
told u i'd cum back

>Although you should probably check how many of your games are steam compatible first because if all the ones you care about are then native would be better.
The one game I could see making me boot Windows a lot is Killing Floor 2 but I'm pretty confident it can run flawlessly in VMware. Most of my favorites I was either surprised to find a Linux native version, a port or that is compatibility was highly rated on Wine HQ. That's why this is a difficult decision for me. I could get a lot of use out of it if I do install it but the other hand I don't like valve that much. I see them as the lesser evil after Microsoft and find it ironic that they was founded by an ex employee and is now threatened by their monolithic business practices, which they employed themselves to a degree. even if I do install the steam client I think I'll try to fever are there stores especially ones that sell or advertise games having a Lennox version. (even if I'd often be buying steam keys.)

VMware can run games but it only supports DirectX up to 10.0 and not 10.1. It also cannot utilize your GPUs vram and instead uses up to 2gb of system Ram in its place. I'm still considering doing this instead of a PCI passthrough since it's a lot easier to set up.

this was how mandrake 8.0 installer looked like, mandrake 8.0 had its own control panel windows style with tons of options like iptables, package managment was fucking awesome for those days.

>I'm still considering doing this instead of a PCI passthrough since it's a lot easier to set up.

Btw I have seen some PCI 2 USB does they have bootleneck issues?

what were people thinking back then? Why move away from the graphic design of Windows 95? I feel like it's the one thing Microsoft did well. Something about the beige blockiness is appealing to me but I think that's just hours of listening to vaporwave. . .

>Btw I have seen some PCI 2 USB does they have bootleneck issues?
no idea

Damn that's fucking sexy.

That brought back memories. The only reason I had a Mandrake linux installer was to make use of their partitioning tool.

>Why move away from the graphic design of Windows 95? I feel like it's the one thing Microsoft did well.

KDE and GNOME those days looked awesome, we had a lot of widgets have you used Amor ?, konqueror was so good I remember on computer classes in highschool I used to pissed off my teacher, he was like "that shit doesnt exist" and then I showed him proofs, the only problem I had was with word documents I had to use a toole called antiword that converts word to plaintext, the amazing thing is a learn everything I need from a some magazines even basic tcl/tk my old scanner which used ISA card runned faster using xane than in windows. I think the problem these days is that people has so much options and they tend to switch instead try to fix or learn the things.

>The only reason I had a Mandrake linux installer was to make use of their partitioning tool.

YEES!!!!, it was like gparted these days so easy.

Fatima Shaikh

>Downloaded Windows 8.1 to bootcamp
>Realize I don't have any flash drives

3 laptops with ubuntu, ubuntu studio, mint, solus, remix, win 7, 8, 10. vm win 95, 98, 2000. work laptop with xp, and bootcamp work mac for another copy of win 10. not sure if i should keep stepping back after that or step forward.

download classic shell its a necessity in any version newer than 7

dual boot was deprecated when virtualisation got good.

de-botnetted Win10 LTSB with no AV
Arch Linux

I'd GPU passthrough if I could be bothered. Just too lazy.

>Do you have a dual (or triple/quad/etc) boot system?
Yes, I need muh gaymes and I am too stupid/incompetent/not enough time to set up GPU pass through.

Yeah, I have multiple hard drives, with a different OS on each.
I typically use FreeBSD as my desktop, but I have OpenBSD, Debian GNU/Linux, and Windows 10 on other drives.
After I get the CompTIA Linux+ I'll likely uninstall Debian, as the GNU userland is braindamaged. I also use Windows less than once a month, since the PC games I play are open source or easily emulated, and anything closed-source is on my 3DS or GBA.
>still don't know how to configure my firewall
Is there a reason? What's the reason your desktop or laptop isn't behind a physically separate firewall, anyway?

Ubuntu for daily stuff and debian for tinkering?

> unironically having an OBEY sticker

Yes sort of
I have a thinkpad and I have three drives installed so I can just skip whole bullshit boot manager selection and just boot from bios

You can install a second 2.5" drive on most devices with a disc drive btw

>implying the aluminum macbooks aren't absolute garbage
(You) tried

Ubuntu + Win 7 (for gayms).

Why do I doubt that VM with GPU passthrough actually runs all games as well as natively running the OS

>thinkingposter unironically calling people out on using cancerous memes

the ironing.

Fpbp
Same desu, gpu pass-through with windows 7 for games and Photoshop, arch for everything else

Yes

Google it user, it gives same performance as native windows

yes

on my phone

What kind of "I'm 14 years old" question is that?

It depends.
Ignoring neo-Sup Forums, most people here have several computers to begin with.

I did that too until I realised I've done everyhting in the windwos vm so I installed windows 10 as main OS

Last time I tried dual booting, the way windows and unix/linux handle the hardware clock differently was too annoying.
I just use Windows in a VM. Adobe software works surprisingly well once you set it up.Especially with GPU passthrough for OpenGL accelleration.

I fucked up and installed (ONLY) Linux on a MacBook Pro i had lying around. Is there a way to install OSX again as a dual boot? rEFIT got deleted along the way.

Google it nigger
Its not that hard