This is still an issue. Explain.

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk3-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
help.ubuntu.com/community/UpdatingADeb
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154&
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Use the Kool and Komfy Desktop Environment senpai

Or use that gtk2&3 patch on the AUR and hope it doesn't fuck shit up

Noob question, can I use that patch if I'm using ubuntu? Or do I need to switch to Arch?

you can switch to openSUSE

aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk3-patched-filechooser-icon-view/

Truth be told I have no idea. You'll have to try it out by yourself

How often do you use the filepicker anyways?

I have downloads configured to go straight to downloads and open files by passing them as arguments on the terminal

You'd have to download the source and rebuild the package manually, unless someone has a patched version in a PPA. It's definitely easier on Arch.

help.ubuntu.com/community/UpdatingADeb

Up to you if you want to try getting your hands dirty, you might learn a few things. As it can fuck up most of your desktop I'd recommend being familiar with booting to the terminal so you can reinstall the Ubuntu version of GTK. And you have backups, right user?

Explain? GNOME/GTK+ developers prefer to remove features and break your workflow instead of actually improving anything.

It really is quite sad.

What's a bit funny in this regard is how KDE is the exact opposite, truckloads of features are added and you can configure everything you like for weeks on end if you want to.

Actually a gnome dev might finally fix this soon. He's working on something.
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154&

About bloody time

If you follow the comments, they actually almost fixed this like 6 years ago. Some guy named Simo worked with that dev to make the original icon view which is what all the currrent icon view patches are based off of. I don't know why development on that seemed to stop.

That would be like, adding a feature, we are talking about Gnome here.

I don't get the appeal of GNOME. XFCE can be set up to be as good looking and functional (or even more) as GNOME. i3 is efficient and user-friendly, and KDE has all that customization and aesthetics. I mean it's bad enough that they had to continue the old GNOME 2 aesthetic.

Yeah but you're generally stuck with gtk.

For me, it's HIDPI support. XFCE will never get it without tricks. Some parts of KDE still don't have it properly. Cinnamon and GNOME are the only ones that support HIDPI completely, and Cinnamon devs are trying to break it by killing mdm.

>crashes things half the time
nice

Works on my machine.

How do GNOME cucks defend this? Dolphin is so feature rich and genuinely nice to use.

???

Just use KDE.

>reading comprehension of a lintard

This is the file picker.

The fuck are you talking about nigger?

Linux is so advanced it can't even play the video games that windows can

welcome, newfag
enjoy your stay and always remember to lurk moar to avoid looking like an ass

>How often do you use the filepicker anyways?
Reminder this is not an argument.

As a chan user, really often.

>chan user

>No arguments
I look forward to the next update to tux kart and tux racer to get that glorious early 00s experience. Maybe you'll make another engine to a 20 year old game nobody but nostalgiafags and hipsters care about while the latest and greatest games remain on windows

not only are you a newfag, you're also an ignorant passerby only looking to rile people up

desktop linux in a nutshell (complete with all of the apologists posting "try [insert convoluted solution here]")

>Still no arguments of any kind
Please, I'm waiting honestly for any games this powerful linux can run.

>Explain

Nothing to explain on dumb frogshitters reusing age old unfunnny memes.

File picker in Firefox isn't the part of a file manager; while file manager can have that functionality, browser devs have to develop the preview functionality or their own.

Isn't it almost 4 years since it happened? I'm sure that with such a fairly significant announcement and with such a long span of time since it happened, you would've been knowledgeable enough to not be an absolute retard. Maybe you're just feigning ignorance.

Yeah, a steambox by valve that failed because there was nothing to play, this is the power of linux here folks

It failed because Valve half-assed it but it managed to bring quite a lot of developers aboard to release on the Linux platform as a whole, not just the steambox. This is an issue with compatibility, not performance and you're just being retarded, or you're just feigning retardation.

>but it managed to bring quite a lot of developers aboard to release on the Linux platform as a whole
Like what, the ports of 90s and early 00s games? Valve ports half-life and TF2 that windows and mac had for years to linux and linux faggots act like that's something to celebrate over, it's pathetic.

What are you even trying to argue about? You seem butthurt for now reason and are now lobbing insults instead of arguments. Insults that stem from pure ignorance. You're still trying to cling to that "muh old games" narrative even if this isn't the case for some time now.

I haven't yet seen a single argument from you kid, where are all these amazing must have games that make switching to linux worth it

Where is your brain, though? I like to ask that question because it looks like you're continuing to vomit some retardation. Also, you seem oddly fixated on games, who's the kid here again?

Moot, please leave and get back to work

The issue is that the file picker doesn't have an icon view. What you're showing off is the file preview, something entirely different.

Windows doesn't have this issue.

Linux neither.

for you, maybe

this
also xfce is deprecated

Who cares? Don't use GTK based desktop enviornments.

How do I get this in Manjaro XFCE? It can access AUR but what did you guys install to get it to work?

>can't even play the video games that windows can
I'll take the bait

Can linux runs those games ? Technically yes, it was proven since 2011 that linux can achieve better performances than windows (see left 4 dead example) and nowadays, some devs have claimed better performances with linux under vulkan than windows with DX11 or windows vulkan (see the talos principle)
And a few other people (game, engine and vulkan devs) have made it clear linux in the long run will make those gain in performances easier to achieve for any dev.

And wine permits to run most windows games easily right now.

gtk3-patched-filechooser-icon-view
gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view

this, linux gaming scene is much better nowdays.

Between steam linux titles and wine you can run almost any game worth playing

Could you run firefox from terminal, open the dialog and then post the output when it crashes?

Eh I really don't give a shit about gaming on Linux. I have a Windows partition for if I ever feel like playing a game. It's not worth messing around with wine or completely switching to Windows

How's this even relevant to the thread

And yeah Linux can't play Windows games WOW what a fucking surprise, why don't you just put an Xbox disk in a PS4 while you're at it, because that's the same fucking thing lol.

something something too many open files core dumped

Copy and paste it

Doesn't seem to work in Manjaro. Is there some vital difference between it and Arch afterall?

Actually it did work, I missed the drop-down menu to change it to icon view. So thumbnails do work but desktop wallpaper is gone and cannot be changed. That's why it doesn't seem to be functional.

That's odd. What do you use to set the desktop wallpaper?

I tried from both pic related and Thunar's right-clicking a file. In that settings menu nothing is clickable anymore except "Help", "All Settings" and "Close".

I don't know for sure, but I think it's because manjaro's repos are behind Arch's. The patch is meant to supply 3.24.21.1 which is what arch is on. Manjaro is on 3.22.21.1. If you want to try it, you could edit the PKGBUILD to set it to version 3.22.21.1 and see if that hacky solution works. Alternatively, you could fetch the gtk+ source, checkout the commit Manjaro is one, apply the patch and build it yourself.

Oops, I mean 3.22.24.1 not 3.24.22.1.

Gtk devs suck ass and dont give a fuck about anything.

The shitty thing is they dont patch the file picker in the print dialog.

I dont understand why that is different.

Year of the Linux desktop.

Would this mean that it will never fix itself since Manjaro is constantly a step behind?

Possibly. It could just be that there are some changes between the two versions that mess something up. All the patch touches is the filechooserdialog. Anything else besides the upload dialog is exactly the same as vanilla gtk.

GLib-GIO:ERROR:glocalfileinfo.c:1369:generate_thumbnail: assertion failed (error == NULL): GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.LimitsExceeded: Failed to determine seats of user "1000": Too many open files (g-dbus-error-quark, 8)
Redirecting call to abort() to mozalloc_abort

>since Manjaro is constantly a step behind?

I've never seen this before. It actually looks like a dbus error to me. The glib2 patch tells dbus to fetch thumbnails. Try force removing it with pacman -Rdd and installing the vanilla glib2 from the arch repos. Then try firefox again and see if you get the same error.

that seems to have fixed it, can't seem to get it to crash

You might have problems with video thumbnails though. I think whatever manages your login sessions is messed up. Are you on systemd or something else?

The gnome/GTK developers are obnoxious hipsters who only care about following UI fashion trends rather than making good and useful software.

it just werks for me

Why do they call thumbnails "icon view"? An icon would be a representation of the file type such as a picture frame or a photo. Is this why it's been unsolved for 13 years?

You didn't read the OP. Now do that with Firefox's file picker

>"try [insert convoluted solution here]")
[KYS]