/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Handy overview of available parts (outdated prices / builds)
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
[YouTube] how to build a pc. (embed)
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1 (embed)

If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, try to include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, and size

CPUs:
Intel still uses shitty TIM on its new CPU's so consider nitrogen cooling or a delidding kit
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i3 8100 - Better budget CPU; extra cost of the currently available Z mobos lessens the value of the CPU
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 1700 - Best value for multithread performance right now. 1700x and 1800x is a waste of money if you are not afraid of overclocking.
>i7 8700k - housefire dispenser, ghost-launched so won't be available until a few months
>Threadripper/Used Xeons: Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Rendering

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 if you want to overpay a little.
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070 / 1080 are standard choices. Vega 56 / 64 if you can get it cheap.
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>Consider a 240GB or larger SSD.
>Consider a Wireless Network Adapter, either 2.4 or 5GHz

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/MDF3LD
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/wFy94C
pcpartpicker.com/list/D9Yhhq
youtube.com/watch?v=4RMbYe4X2LI
pcpartpicker.com/list/QwRRr7
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>that feel when still on a 5 year old 212 evo

what to get to replace it?

Has it degraded? What CPU are you using and what temps do you have?

NH-D15
you'll likely need a new case

Is 3000mhz ram worth it for coffee lake?

if I strap a good enough cooler on 8400 will it actually reach 4GHz or is turbo speed a "your milage may vary" copout? don't want to get fucked by intel anymore than i need to

Depends on what cpu you have and how hot it gets

4ghz is only for one core. Maxing all cores is 3.8 and i hear the stock cooler can manage it fine

i have an i7 6700k and last i checked around 50 to 60 c under load

will it fit in a define r5?

Fuck Intel shills and fuck AMD fanboys
Reminder to buy based on what you actually need and not meme benchmarks

t. got memed into ryzen

>i got memed into buying a good cpu

>define r5
>180mm cpu cooler, NH-D15 165mm
yeah it'll fit but check your mobo on noctua first to see what if anything might get blocked
sometimes the first pcie gets blocked

Note: You can currently get a 4GB RX 580 or 570 cheaper than a 6GB 1060, and the 580 is faster.

>oy vay ill never be a good boyim i buy AhMeD

There's also the NH-D15S, which performs the same but if designed for motherboard compatability. Also a bit shorter but that doesn't matter to you.

pcpartpicker.com/list/MDF3LD
anything I need to unfuck or does it all seem good?
gonna upgrade the gpu later since i've got an old one laying around

t. butthurt intel power user

ok pajeet

Unless you have a high-refresh monitor no matter what you upgrade to there is going to be a GPU bottleneck so investing in Z370 is a bit pointless right now. Wait until cheaper motherboards come out.

Really makes you think

Curious how that mobo stacks up to the MSI Z370-A PRO for the same price. Msi board has a plated gpu slot this has more plating on that mobo thing that gets hot when you oc and u dont really need thay

Hmm really jogs the nog

sort of unique situation since computer died recently anyway and found a deal on asrock pro4 that gets it down so either way need a new mobo might as well get the latest one right?

asrock pro4 was cheapest could find

Good to know. Maybe manually set the price for the pro4 so we know the value?

was mainly looking for anything i should change, everything there is the cheapest in socket could find

Faster RAM would be nicer, but it depends on jpw much more you have to spend.

How. Not "jpw". I really fucked that upside-down and counterclockwise.

oy vey

The one i described is on amazon if you want to check it out

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/wFy94C

>Poozen for games

Buy 1600 and use stock. Budget coolers really won't help all too much more in terms of OC since a stock can carry to even 3.8. Your RAM could OC bit who knows desu. Not quite worth buying new memory over.
Yes, 3 120mms will be fine.
No way would he get less than 60fps with Ryzen you fucking retard

me rn

The 1600x is cheaper than 1600 by five bucks, I'm hoping the higher bin will mean lower voltage needed for 3.8. I also hear that wraith spire gets super loud if you OC with it.

I want to be streaming the games, which I can't do even with shadowplay on my current setup.

what am i looking at

Is there any value in adding RAM to my watercooling loop outside of aesthetics?

Looks like you can get the 4GB 580 for $250 and the 6GB 1060 for $260. At those prices I'd still get the 1060. But neither really make sense while the 3GB version is $205.

Get 3000MHz RAM. The i5 has integrated graphics so no need to dig out the old card. But I'd question whether you really need that i5

Personally I'd hold off a bit and get an i5 6500 or i5 7500 when used prices drop. Honestly I'm surprised that the i3 can't hold 60FPS in those games. Maybe try turning down shadows and draw distance a little?

Unless you don't have a fancy heat spreader or some really overclockable RAM that you aren't comfortable with air cooling, then there is no point.

Why doesn't anyone run benches showing performance vs older cpu like the 2xxx - 5xxx lineup? Are the new ones even that big of an upgrade beyond more cores and the workloads that befit from it?

hmmm, looks like I might just need to turn down textures, i do only have a 6gb 1060

>Get 3000MHz RAM
but why though?

My planned 240hz competitive gaming upgrade/build for when coffe lake is actually instock: pcpartpicker.com/list/D9Yhhq
Performance per dollar isnt as important as squeezing out as much FPS and keeping it steady.
I don't plan on running SLI.
Is the PSU enough for 8700k while OC'd?

I want to >stream. which is why i'm iffy about slotting in a kaby lake.

300w of headroom according to the calculator,but a seasonic or EVGA will probably serve you better

Here's the benchmarks for Fortnite

I don't think textures are the problem with a 6GB card. Are you having trouble when there are a lot of effects or players on screen?

If you want to get the most out of your CPU, delid it and use Noctua since AIOs are for show only and you will thermal throttle before you can reach the chip's potential. 960 Evo won't get you any more frames, if you were suspecting that.

Custom water loop would cool better.

Relatively large performance boost for a little money

Because there is a performance boost with faster ram, and the jump to 3000 or 3200 isn't that expensive.

here are my settings. I get dips below 40 when skydiving onto the island, actual firefights are 50ish.

Epic resolution scale does nothing as I only have a 1080p60 screen.

Since he's planning to buy AIO, be probably doesn't want to. Actually, he could cool the best with phaze-change.

Set View Distance to Far

B-but my multicore reeeeeeeeeeeeee

Something to save up for. I want to get a Vive

Perhaps you haven't heard.. the 8700K is out, and it's way better than the 7700K for almost the same price

>Relatively large performance boost
checked the 3000 ram they had in stock, too many bad reviews about it not working and since i'm cheaping out on mobo might as well get basic 2400 ram right on specification

thanks, i'll look into evga or seasonic.

Yeah i know 960 Evo wont give me more fps lol, thats why I picked a smallish capacity one. I figured if 8700k wont OC to 5ghz, I'll probably have to delid. But why are AIOs for show only? Alot of the reviewers I watch use AIOs for their testing and benchmarks. Im actually using an old NH-D15 in my current pc, works well, but im sick of it since it had some clearance issues with ram and gpu.

> 7700K
kek, wait for 8700K or just get a Ryzen 1700, quad-cores for that price range in the current year is unacceptable.

> GTX 1080
Wait for the 1070ti, it's basically 1080 performance for much less.

I'd have to consider upgrading to the 8700k, consider buying windows CD key, for 2466 ram, or smaller ssd+had storage.

High end Noctua and Be Quiet! get better temps than AIOs. Their only real advantage is sometimes being quieter.

If you want to liquid cool, get a custom loop. If you aren't willing to spend that amount of effort/money do it on air.

Delidding gives *stupid* thermal improvements on intel because they use glue instead of solder to keep the heat spreader on

Okay so I have sort of a story and some questions:

I have a 4790K with a Z97 PC-Mate mobo that I got with the G3258 for $100 a few years back. I'm pretty much committed to the Z97 platform for the next 5 years or so (I feel like I can OC that 4 hyperthreaded core baby for a while longer), but I'm worried about the mobo giving out on me first. Its USB 3.0 front header is pretty much not gonna go back together if I take the cable out, the BIOs settings are kinda shit, and it doesn't have any goodies like M.2.

So my question is, is there a new Z97 mobo out there that is more future-proof? I saw pic related on Newegg for $125, but there doesn't seem to be much new stock. I'm honestly open for $200+ if it's gonna last me.

Thanks for any help.

The 580 is better than the 1060 though. It's $10 cheaper and better so why wouldn't I get the 580?

power consumption/heat/noise, 480 uses 60W more. not everyone has their landlord pay the power bill

This. While the 580 is overall faster and more future proof, Pascal is always considerably more efficient.

Once AIOs are all fired up(maybe an hour into a session), they make the chip run hotter and are noisier than high-end air. If you want the best temps, go custom cooling or even consider subzero. If you want the best noise performance, air-cooling is second to none, and the NH-D15S has the same performance and more motherboard and case compatability. AIOs look nice and provide easiwr management of parts on your board, but cannot cool as effectively as other options around the price-point.
You really won't see NVMe getting you anywhere, and it could acrually be better for your money to buy another 850 Evo and run them in RAID 0.

and if I give zero fucks about power consumption and don't want to deal with nvidia's drivers?

I'm looking into EK and Swiftech, not sure if im comfortable enough with doing the whole loop on my own. But whats this about sub zero? im not made of money lol

You meming, friend?

I'd say they're about equal, maybe the 1060 leads a little bit. Only recent big game that the 580 has won is the new Battlefront, and that's still in beta.

Then get the 580

I'd do a custom loop if I had the money. Take it as a learning experience.
Anyway, I heard about an AIO that was basically a prebuilt custom loop in a previous pcbg, but I can't remember what it was. Either way, most AIOs have good performance, but not the best performance or noise levels.

>You meming, friend?
>nvidia drivers have killed graphics cards
>the worst AMD drivers have done is disable crossfire and offer slightly worse performance than the card is capable of.

>AMD cards have killed motherboards

ordered 8400 hope it can survive the fast approaching Australian summer

Thanks, luckily it'll be awhile until I have the cash anyway

no. that would be shit MSI heatsinks

First time builder, how am i doing? Prices are in NZD which is about $1080usd. Any money saving tips from fellow kiwis?

>Buying 7th gen
>Buying 7th gen i5

What should i get then friendo?

either go AMD Ryzen 5 6 core or 8th gen Intel 6 core. (assuming you can even get ahold of one)

AMD Ryzen 5 1600
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Intel Core i5 8400
Intel Core i5 8600K

Pick one ofthose 4. At the moment, the AMD chips are better value.

>asked for advice 2 to 3 years ago on building a pc
>intel 4690k, zotac gtx 970, 8gb ram and a corsair psu
>worked for 2 or so years then computer sparked possibly taking my mobo with it
>turns out corsair psu's were absolute shit for that build and nobody bothered to tell me

Well it was my fault for not asking somewhere else but its still such a waste.

Figured it would last me another two years.

It's cheaper to buy everything under $400nzd from overseas and you don't have to pay GST

Does anyone have experience with pcliquidations?

Pick the CPU from the list in the OP that best suits your use case. The price/performance of 7th gen i5s is abysmal. Either buy AMD now, or wait for 8th gen Intel to be in stock.

8400 is cheaper and way better

You're not taking into account motherboard cost and the fact the Ryzen chips have more threads which makes them superior in thread-heavy workloads

hmm so ryzen was just a meme after all?

Pls help thanks guys.

i'm working on a private server for a game, but a majority of the sourcecode isnt mine. without sifting through what already works, is there a way to tell if more cpu cores would improve my initialization time? it involves reading from files and im not sure on how heavily multithreaded it is, but it takes ~60 seconds on 4 cores 8 threads and uses up to 65% cpu at the moment, plus 5 minutes for client launch. ive relaunched thousands of times at this point, and id like to cut it down.
thanks

Also, the i5 8400 is shit for gaming + streaming, as are the 4 core Ryzen chips. You want a Ryzen 5 1600 at minimum for that since it has MANY more threads to devote to streaming without hampering gaming performance, which the i5 cannot do.

Intelfags, call me when Intel makes a 6 core i5 with hyper threading

Everything's a meme, user.

ok m8 tyvm for the advice.

nope. Intel chips have higher average framerates, but when things get multi-threading heavy, the i5's tank while the Ryzen chips are unaffected.
youtube.com/watch?v=4RMbYe4X2LI

A ghetto solution would be to disable cores and test it like that. Otherwise, use a friend's PC.

ive disabled cores all the way from 1 to 7, and i see the performance plateau around 6 cores enabled. im just slightly confused as to why its capped at that point, and was wondering if more cores would make it plateau maybe around 14 threads out of 16 instead of 6 out of 8, or if i should look only for higher clocks on 4 cores.

Is there any evidence to suggest the next evolution of Ryzen will be competitive with Intel chips in terms of minimum framerates in older games?

Original dev was probably lazy then
Do the same thing with clocks if you haven't

no

one of the people working with me has a later gen quadcore, hes getting around 30s init time, and another one with an i5 is getting 80s. should i just opt for higher clock speeds?

pcpartpicker.com/list/QwRRr7

Rate.
wanted freesync because it's cheaper.
Upgrading from an ancient AMD Sempron. At this point, Bulldozer would be an upgrade.