The Browser Alternatives Thread

We all know that Chrome is a botnet, and with the recent news surrounding Mozilla (Cliqz, MITI, Riseup), some anons might be considering jumping ship to another browser. If you are happy with the current state of Mozilla and Firefox, then that's perfectly ok.
I decided to make this thread to discuss some potential alternatives for those who, like me, want to switch.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/brave/browser-laptop/projects/1
github.com/brave/browser-laptop/wiki/Brave-Tor-Support
palemoon.org/privacy.shtml
palemoon.org/technical.shtml
qupzilla.com/download
github.com/QupZilla/qupzilla/wiki/Plugins
community.kde.org/Incubator/Projects/Falkon
vivaldi.com/blog/google-return-to-not-being-evil/
wiki.qt.io/QtWebEngine
github.com/brave/browser-laptop
medium.com/@jonathansampson/testing-chrome-extensions-in-brave-8e25d1f7386d
github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/9531
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

One option we have is brave. It's a chromium-based browser, but it is focused on privacy, with built-in script blocking, ad-blocking, HTTPS Everywhere, and cookie blocking, all of which can be configured globally, or on a per-site basis. People leaving Firefox because of recent events will be happy to know that the project is led by Brendan Eich, who was CEO of Mozilla before all of this shit happened, and was kicked out for wrongthink. Moving on to create this.
Brave has a review process for addons. Here's the tracker for that (Vimium coming soon get hype!)
github.com/brave/browser-laptop/projects/1
It also has plans for TOR support, possible in the form of making private browsing tabs 'tor tabs' or something
github.com/brave/browser-laptop/wiki/Brave-Tor-Support
The main downside here is the lack of addons. All the major privacy stuff is built-in, but not much else. Some anons like to say it's an adware scam because of brave's Ad-replacement thing, but as it is off by default, not even developed yet, and might take money away from Jewgle, I fail to see the issue.

Next, there's Pale Moon, or as some anons call it, Pale Meme. It is a fork of a very old version of Firefox that takes the old version and brings it up to date. By that, I mean it uses a fork of the older Gecko, named Goanna. I can confirm that it loads modern websites very well. You will be happy to know that his browser has support for XUL, and won't be moving to the WebExtension stuff, and I believe they have plans to maintain XUL versions of popular Addons.
For sites that need geolocation, they claim to have a more secure way of doing that, without sending location or network data outside of IP address and browser
palemoon.org/privacy.shtml
They will also not support WebRTC, and it's not on this page, but they say they're not gonna support the Web DRM stuff either
palemoon.org/technical.shtml
Now for the issues. The dev is a furry. I don't think that point needs any further explanation. Also, he has blocked installation of AdNauseam, although you can unblock it.

The third major option I can see is using one of the many independent FLOSS browsers. The most promising of which appears to be Qupzilla. This browser uses either QtWebkit or QtWebengine, and aside from the origins of these web engines, it has no connection to Jewgle or Moz://a. It is very lightweight, and low on RAM usage, so those of you shitposting on old Thinkpads will be able to do so in a fairly comfy way. Another fun thing is that it supports an absolutely retarded amount of operating systems. There's even support for OS/2 and Haiku!
>just wait. someday it will support TempleOS
qupzilla.com/download
It does have an extension system, but there's basically no addons, andyou have to recompile the browser to use it
github.com/QupZilla/qupzilla/wiki/Plugins
Also it just recently became Falkon, and is now a KDE project.
community.kde.org/Incubator/Projects/Falkon
The negative here is, of course, the basically nonexistant addon support. It has an adblocker, but otherwise, you're shit outta luck (Unless you anons wanna code a noscript, cookie blocker, vim keys, etc for it, and recompile all that shit)

The only option that I've come across that opens true freedom to add whatever you like, instead of "protecting you from yourself," without teaming up with retarded political groups is Waterfox.

Interesting. I see Waterfox posted fairly frequently on this board. I've heard a lot of good things, but also some people mentioning stability problems. From looking at the changes they made though, they seem pretty good. Kinda like the Ungoogled-Chromium of Firefoxes

More or less. They are working to allow both the new extensions, AND the old add-ons, which is good, since FF is pushing this shit out before it's been developed enough to completely replace the old shit.

someone post that browser written in electron

>QtWebkit
deprecated
>QtWebengine
is just chromium

vivaldi.com/blog/google-return-to-not-being-evil/

The wise man's choice.

I've been very pleased with Pale Moon, all furry memes aside. It's comfy and it hasn't failed me yet.

>depreciated
Which is why I think they moved over to QtWebEngine
>Is just chromium
Except for the fact that the web rendering engine is the only thing they take from chromium, and not even directly at that. Everything else appears to be its own thing

I'm actually using it to make this thread. It's quite comfy indeed, especially with Pendactyl.

I personally do not use this browser, due to it not being Free Software, but I respect your choice. I heard it's similar to Opera/made by some ex-opera people, which is neat

>types out his greentexts by hand
bro do you know how Sup Forums works? you know you can select text and when you click reply it will automatically greentext it.

>Except for the fact that the web rendering engine is the only thing they take from chromium
sauce? no idea what you're talking about.

wiki.qt.io/QtWebEngine

pretty sure they basically ripped out the whole engine, javascript, html parsers and stuff like electron uses

I meant that it's not a chromium-based browser, unlike something like Iridium, modern Opera, or Vivaldi.

Someone really should. If it ends up being really good, or has a lot of interesting things about it, then it might be another option for us

>update Firefox
>favicons missing
>the way they are stored changed
>it works like shit
>check bug tracking
>"it's not a bug, it's a feature"
Fuck this. It's like they want to make FF unusable to the point that you drop it.

Try Waterfox. Should remedy the issue.

>Wise man's choice.
It's not FLOSS tho. So if they decide to put AIDS in the browser, noone can fork it.
Hence, vivaldi-------->[The Trash]

I think retards should stick with normie browser like Chrome

is brave open source?

I have been using Brave as my main browser the last few days. The extensions thing is a real drag. I don't use a crazy amount of extensions, but what I mainly use us built in. The thing is I need more functionality out Muh browser. I found an article linked in Brave support forums, about swapping the current installed extensions to test others downloaded from chrome, don't know how to build from source so this is good enough for normies like me. Swap out piece of shit Honey extension for violentmonkey. Violentmonkey basic functionality works, can install scripts no problem. Can't edit/delete/manage scripts unless I go to the direct url of the dashboard in violentmonkey, can get direct url from chrome, but must swap Id of the extension in url to the Brave swapped extension. Now I can manage scripts in Brave. Now am happy. You cannot block "acceptable" ads in Brave. Adblock custom filters may not work as great.

Firefox 56.0.1 is not bad once you disable a few things

btw, millions of users will do exactly like me:
if 57 will be a disaster, I'll switch to 52 ESR from November to June 2018, and then I'll switch to Pale Moon if they didn't fix stuff in the meantime

Brave is Free Software, licensed under the MPLv2.
github.com/brave/browser-laptop

I have no clue what favicons are supposed to be, but I do find it sad that they are removing features in the newer versions. One of my favorite extensions, VimFX, will not be possible within the new system, and the replacement, Vimium, while good, is not even close to being as good as he old one.
Yeah I saw that Waterfox has support for some extensions that regular Firefox will not.

Yeah right now my system is a Fagbook pro with Brave as its browser, and a Debian Virtualbox with Palemoon as its browser. I can most certainly agree that the extension support sucks, although the browser is somewhat early in development, so it will be getting better. The main thing I'm missing is some form of Vim keys extension. Vimium, while not as good as my old favorite, should do just fine, and it's apparently coming soon.

Indeed. that's why the three browsers I chose to outline in the inital posts are all FLOSS, and all actually appear to be copyleft as well, which I wasn't planning on, but it's a nice thing

You can enable it right now if you don't want to wait and if there is an extension you are not using currently in Brave like Honey. It might not be fully functional though.

medium.com/@jonathansampson/testing-chrome-extensions-in-brave-8e25d1f7386d

From this page, it looks like they're close to full support, but I'll wait for them to fully add it.
github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/9531

>I have no clue what favicons are supposed to be
These things.

Looked it up. They're the little pictures on tabs. Wait a sec... Moz://a is fucking even that up? wow that's a whole new level of bad!

elinks or links2 -g.

Anything more is bloat.

For a text-based browser, I use w3m.