/hpg/ Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones
>Guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Brainwavz-HM5-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B006MA9XXM/
amazon.com/Hosa-MHE-100-5-Right-Angle-Headphone-Adaptor/dp/B000068O6B/
forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/speakers-when-is-good-enough-enough.2512/page-2#post-15412
amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-RS185-Uncompressed-Wireless-Headphones-Black/dp/B00STNU2VW
innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-471-affordable-sealed-over-ear-headphones
seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=cool_review&no=462
clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2015/05/lg-quadbeat-3-sample-measurement.html
clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2015/06/lg-quadbeat-3-sample-b-measurement.html
clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2015/10/lg-quadbeat-3-tuned-by-akg-iem.html
youtube.com/watch?v=8KwXEqe6Gq4
hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OY? DID YOU CROP THE FEET OUT?

please recommend cans that look and feel just as nice as they sound

>DID YOU CROP THE FEET OUT?
No.

Jecklin Float, AKG K1000, STAX Sigma.

Skullcandy GI

How about things that look the exact opposite of what they sound?
V-Moda stuff looks reeeaally edgy, which you might thing should be associated with treble but they are actually bassy and boomy as fuck.

>vinyl
>another bass cannon

I just assume any new headphones are bass cannons because that's what plebs want.

Depends on who makes them, and to be fair V-Moda's now out of production M80 was bassy like the original M50 but not like the other/newer v-modas basscanos and, as with the original M50, was not considered a bad headphone for the time and price. One got memed and overpriced to oblivion and the other will never be sold brand-new ever again though, so yeah, you are probably right.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

>
Just got my Brainwavz HM5 today. I like them a lot so far. I'm not trying to judge audio just yet because I red something about a break in period when going through reviews for different headphones you guys recommended me. They are extremely comfortable though.
Thanks for all the help, but I have just one more question- What do I plug pic related into? These headphones come with two cords. One of them ends in a 3.5 mm connector but it is too short to reach the back of my PC and reaches the front with about 8 inches of slack. Big cord looks promising but I probably couldn't even get it into my ass much less my PC.

>Just got my Brainwavz HM5 today.
wait like, you actually bought a brainwavz hm5 and not the pads? you can do that?

I think so.
amazon.com/Brainwavz-HM5-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B006MA9XXM/

There will be no actual physical change in sound due to "break-in" except perhaps a slight change in frequency response as the earpads physically mold to your head, but you may experience a gradual psychoacoustic perception of the audio over time as you get used to them. This is normal.
You'll need amazon.com/Hosa-MHE-100-5-Right-Angle-Headphone-Adaptor/dp/B000068O6B/ to plug the big cord into your PC. Get this specific one or one designed like it. Do NOT use one like pic related. These can break headphone jacks via leverage and gravity.

>but you may experience a gradual psychoacoustic CHANGE IN perception of the audio
FTFM.

Thanks. I'll buy that exact one. Also I have a retard question. Does cable quality matter? I know it doesn't mean anything with digital signal, but with analog audio does the cable really matter? I have a cheap audio splitter that I was using to output to speakers and and headphones at same time. Would this make any difference?

>Does cable quality matter?
No. See: forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/speakers-when-is-good-enough-enough.2512/page-2#post-15412 Audiophiles couldn't tell the difference in sound between expensive cables and coat hangar wire.

>look and feel just as nice as they sound
Monoprice 108323

Alright. I got one more. I recently bought a music album and ripped the audio to flac using k3b. Is this the best the quality can go or is there any better? If there is better did I lose quality from ripping the audio? (I would think not to this) Did I lose quality from getting the CD? Are there copies of songs out there with higher quality than CD?

Ergo AMT

>Thanks. I'll buy that exact one
Are you sure the jack doesn't unscrew into a smaller one?

That's even worse than the monoprice meme.

FLAC is lossless. There is no quality loss. It will reproduce an identical waveform to the CD audio. I recommend FLAC for archival and 192 kbps Opus for portable use. 192 kpbs Opus is audibly transparent. Opus is probably transparent at lower bitrates, but I use 192 kbps because several studies with regards to mp3 seem to place the lowest transparent (to an average person) bitrate at 192 kbps.

I'm gonna give you some real answers here senpai.
>focal elear
>OPPO PM3
>ATH MSR7
>b&w px

>look up FR
Well, that was disappointing. Bass is somehow worse than a K1000.

>Are you sure the jack doesn't unscrew into a smaller one?
wtf how did you know. Well that saves me $5.

Heh. I just assumed he would have already tried that. I'm glad your lower estimation of others saved him $5.

>MSR7

These look like pure sex, user. Do you know if they stack up compared to the HD 598? That's what I've got currently but I'm really liking the look of these.

C'mon man. I've never even seen a jack like that before.

>wtf how did you know.
I'm assuming it's because the little one in the picture in has screw threads on it.

Shit I'm retarded. That's actually hilarious though.

>I'm glad your lower estimation of others saved him $5.
I've just seen a lot of people make that mistake, and there aren't many cords that actually end in 6.3mm

I wish Naturalton would draw a headphone girl.

About to pull the trigger lads, give me one good reason not to.

Looking for good quality IEMs for work.
Was looking at the Symphonized NRG 3.0's. Thoughts?

The lord thy god in heaven hath given me his blessing to lead ye wretched sinners away from the ignorant lies and injustice of these cursed blasphemers so that you need not languish in torment for hearing the foul cacophanies of your heathen 'phones.

I'm here to tell you boys that the way out of the bottle is clear, and that the true path into righteousness and eternal life points to itself. And that truth, o' my blessed brothers, is the Sennheiser HD600. Now go, go and thank the mighty father who sheds the blood of his only son that you might be shown his mercy for gifting thee with such a majestic and awesome way to receive his rapture.

autism is a hell of a drug

The zs5's exist and cost like $20..

DT990s (high ohm) or some equivalently priced Senns?

Are you ready for the new reference grade top tier best in class headphones?

Now that's retarded.

The zs5s are rubbish since the revision.

Are Philips SHP9500s still worth it for $110?
(and no, I can't get them cheaper here)

Currently using Samson SR850.

Thoughts on Soundmagic E50? Im looking for a Mids/Lows centric (more on mids) non over ear iems for around $50.

friendly reminder to report all hd600 shilling and CG posts

I can't waiting to use my headphon-
>ohhh.......

Opinions on over-ear IEMs?
Are they comfortable, will I be able to run while wearing them?

Why do you waste all this money when even a $15 is good enough to play video games?

not everyone likes to play videogames user. music is universally loved.

Etymotic hf5s keep on dying no matter how many times I send mine back in for warranty one side always dies. Similar, but hopefully cheaper.

Zst king

sorry, tfz king

Need a cheap earphone thoughts on the AiAiAI pipes?

amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-RS185-Uncompressed-Wireless-Headphones-Black/dp/B00STNU2VW

Has anyone ever owned these. I want a pair of wireless cans that aren't bluetooth and these seem to be the best I can find, although really expensive. There are cheaper models but they are closed back.

shitty
Kz zs5 or zs6.

Hi Sup Forums, I need some not to bad headphones to mostly use outside, in the train, while running marathons and at the gym,

>Budget
about 50 euros ?
>Location
Belgium (Europe)
>Source
My android smartphobe, via bluetooth
>Type of headphone

>Open or closed
Closed (because used outside)
>Comfort level
confortable enough to do sports with, I don't my ears to hurt after using it, so better if it doesn't touch my ears.
>Sound signature
I listen mosly to classical music, a lot of pipe organ and harpsichord, so I need some bass in order to enjoy the low notes of both instruments, but not iverly amplified otherwise it will be shit..

So yeah, classical audiophile, good response in all the spectrum, while not being bad for my ears (don't wanna end up like beethoven)
>Past headphones
Haven't really owned any.

Thank you very much for your help !!

if you can spend some extra money, ath-m40x are over ear.

The Sennheiser HD 471 is more or less in your price range, is closed and has a fairly neutral frequency response for the price. But I don't know if these will do great when doing sport. Anyways here you have an interesting review:
innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-471-affordable-sealed-over-ear-headphones

If you think you can have good comfort with full-sized headphones when doing sport, these should be a good choice. But you may find better to use some in-ears instead.

shitty
LG Quadbeat 3.

>3/5 star ratings everywhere

what are those abominations.

The best poorfag IEMs.

seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=cool_review&no=462

clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2015/05/lg-quadbeat-3-sample-measurement.html

clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2015/06/lg-quadbeat-3-sample-b-measurement.html

clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2015/10/lg-quadbeat-3-tuned-by-akg-iem.html

Define "monitor headphones" please

My SHP9500S just arrived. Shit's comfy as fuck

Typically closed back headphones that you can use to listen to shit at your work that sounds pretty ok. As opposed to reference, where it tries to sound perfectly neutral and is usually open back.

Closed back headphones that are designed to monitor sounds. Isolation and lack of sound leakage are important. Some notable examples of monitor headphones:

Sony MDR-7506
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Shure SRH-440

I used to be into sennheiser px100 and koss porta pro, for the idea that they don't need a headphone amp. Headphone amp is a bizarre inconvenience I never want to deal with, especially if I just want to listen on a portable music player or laptop, which is the only time I use headphones. Nowadays I have the sony mdr zx110 which was $10 retail, and philips shb8750nc noise cancelling bluetooth, which was $30. I don't have quite the same appreciation for music as I used to, so these are good enough for now. Portable, and better than earbuds.

Idol trash here.
What's your FR like, user?

Anyone? What type of IEM do you prefer?

what dac should i buy, my budget is $3k no shilling chord and schiit either you retards

ifi ican pro

Benchmark.

i said i needed a dac not a fucking headphone amp you retard

All DACs sound exactly the same you pay for features so just get an audio gd

maybe ask again next thread, haven't seen this often enough now

terrible reception by people who own it, no thanks
i dont take magazine reviews seriously so if you want to throw those in my face fuck off
all amps sound the same all speakers sound the same yeah we get it thanks for your opinion ill throw it in the trash where it belongs

>>>/6moons/

Amps can affect sound but I don't think the DAC does very much.

>>>/6moons/
>>>/headfi/

why even ask this question here? dacs don't do much for sound quality, if anything at all. most if not all well designed dacs sound transparent.

What speakers/amp/headphones are you using anyway?

learn to read champ i said that i dont take magazine reviews seriously. that obviously goes for 6moons. what the fuck is headfi that shitty headphone forum owned by a psychotic manlet named jude? i dont take anything their members say seriously either.

and im using kef r300

Are etymotic mk5s meant to sound sorta tinny or do I have a defective product?

Requesting purchase advice:

>Budget
not sure of a budget, take £30 as a start
>Location
UK
>Source
phone for music while I walk to my lectures and PC for raiding with my shit WoW guild
>Type
IEMs please
>Open or closed
N/A
>Comfort
The only aspect of comfort I'm worried about is them staying in my ears, my last earphones slipped out a lot
>Past headphones
Soundmagic E10

Give yourself time to get used to accurate sound. What you are perceiving as "tinny" is a lack of the over-boosted bass you are used to. There's also a decent chance you're not inserting them far enough and this is creating high frequency resonances. See: youtube.com/watch?v=8KwXEqe6Gq4

akg k1000

why would you take any of our advice seriously either??

Is there a better measuring full-sized headphone currently in production than the HD600?

>3k dac for 1.8k speakers

That's some serious overkill, especially considering the extremely limited effect a dac has on sound quality. Just get an emotiva dac or something even cheaper from fiio and be done with it. If your amp/pre or integrated is good you don't need an expensive dac.

>DT990s
The answer is never DT990.

I ran a few times with my zs5's with no real problem. Sometimes you can feel the wire tapping your ear a little but that's it.

>spending 3k on a fucking dac
>calling others retards

laffin

>sennshills strike again

hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23 You are the retard if you spend more than this on it.

DT860 dropping in to say hi.

>kef r300
Those are shit speakers.

>heavily smoothed non-standardized graphs

Goldenears provides non-arbitrary reasoning on their webpage for their choice of compensation curve. As for smoothing, see pic related. Smoothing does not typically drastically alter the visually perceived sound signature of a headphone's frequency response graph.

these aren't IEMs, but I'm noting them down anyway, thanks.

>overpriced meme-q coaxial tech
>aluminum cone woofer
>1st order crossover

absolutely overpriced. not bad, but definitely not a $1700 speaker.

What's even more hilarious is that he thinks buying a 3k dac will magically fix the problems with that speaker.

What is the second worst headphone company behind Beyerdynamic?