Vendor requesting remote access so he can work on phone network

>vendor requesting remote access so he can work on phone network
>Set up his account, send him a 3mb VPN client that connects to our firewall
>guy replies asking for an open-source client because he uses Linux and only uses freedom software

Are all Linux users THIS insufferable?

Yes. Welcome to Sup Forums

>Don't own a phone because muh freedoms
>Boss is bitching about not being able to get in touch with me outside of work hours
>Tell him "I'm willing to use proprietary software when I'm being paid for it. If you want me to use it outside of work then I expect compensation."
>mfw he bought me a phone, pays for my phone plan, and I got a raise

>accepting some random binary proprietary blob some guy sends you for something where security is critical.
I wouldn't do that too

I'm not that anal about muh freedumbs but I certainly wouldn't use some random binary someone sends me, even if it's for work

Sent him the log-in detail only and tell him that you don't have any open sores client and that he is FREE to use his own.

>need access to a VPN for work
>call the tech support pajeet
>gives me some random binary
>ask if there's a nice open-source client instead so I can get a signed package, which get critical security automatically, from apt-get
>he loses it and keeps rambling about insufferable freetards

Are all Mac users THIS insufferable?

I didn't send him an exe or anything. I sent him a link to the firewall vendor's website to download it.

Still proprietary binary

Then send him a link to the firewall manufacturers tech support line.

>emperorschildren.png
>has erebus
>mfw

My boss talked to his manager and then a couple hours later he logged in and did the job we are paying him to do using the proprietary botnet VPN client I sent him

Top kek, freetards BTFO

Tell him to compile the vpn client from source lol

they're gold so its Lorgar

OpenVPN or PPTP

>But PPTP is insecure
Who the fuck is going to break PPTP, seriously?

It's pretty irritating that Apple doesn't allow pptp or pass through on any of their devices anymore.

>Not using openvpn
Back to shed buddy

Just send him the openVPN configs you useless tech support peon

Why not just ssh? Why vpn?

No

Vendor will not accept ssh. These people are trash.

>Are all Linux users THIS insufferable
They're a minority. I was a Linux user for a few years before visiting Sup Forums and didn't know about freetardation till I came here.

you could have just said you were a poor manbaby

What's wrong with OpenVPN?

I was once in a similar situation when they gave me a shitty GUI VPN client that had to be manually clicked in order to connect, and wouldn't automatically reconnect. I was expected to run this on a server that needed to always be on a specific VPN.

With OpenVPN this would have been a piece of piss.

VPN servers that require custom clients aren't compatible with OpenVPN, ya dingus.

>inform decision makers of vendor's insufferable Linux user
>decision makers cut ties with vendor and go with another that's willing to use vpn client
>old vendor loses last client due to continued stubbornness
>must now apply for food stamps and section 8
>lives in rapist van for the rest of his life

but hey, his freedoms were respected.

I've felt with people like this. It's like they want you to reconfigure your whole environment to suit them when you are paying them to do something and you have given them the tools.

I once had a guy request that we go an buy a new workstation for him to rdp into and then access all his equipment from there because that's the only way he knew how to do his job. You make them go even a tiny bit out of their comfort zone and they whine.

Is VPN work so poorly standardized you have to install a certain client to use it?

It is standardized. Every user and vendor uses this client to connect to our firewall. All in all about 60 people use it daily.

No, what I mean is, why does it matter what client software you use? I've never needed a special 'ssh' client to connect to a server. Any will do.

user, your boss might want to fuck.

why would someone use a VPN server other than OpenVPN though?

unless they were getting kickbacks from whatever organization sells that piece of crap

Most VPNs are IPSec or PPTP anyway, why not just give him log in details and the protocol and let him figure out the rest?

Because some people just like Cisco, Sonicwall, Fortinet, Juniper, Checkpoint, etc.

It's a waste of eveyones time in a corporate environment

>vendor requesting remote access so he can work on phone network
>Set up his account, send him a 3mb VPN client that connects to our firewall
>guy replies asking for an open-source client because he uses Linux
>Get completely ass blasted because someone else has a different work flow/requirements than me on a different OS
>I then take the time to post this made up story on a Mongolian basket weaving forum in the hopes of getting (you)'s from user users
ftfy

You’re a fucking retard. VPN isn’t a protocol. It’s a term used to describe various protocols achieving the same goal.