Stupid Questions Thread

Alright Sup Forumsents, not new around here and want to start to stretch my legs. feel free to help with any or all of these things.

1. first reply is my desktop. Im a winbaby. What can I do in Windows10 to spruce it up without taking up too much of the cpu?

2. Besides streaming movies to a memepi and my Xbox, is there anything else i can do with a network drive? its a 2 TB HDD.

3. My desk has wires for the speaker, keyboard, and mouse kinda splayed everywhere, but I go to Lan parties a good bit and like to pack it up pretty quickly. So without zipties, whats a good way to organize the cables from all my i/o devices, that isnt ugly?

Thanks guys.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/222644154331
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001E1Y5O6/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1507691300&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=velcro cable straps&dpPl=1&dpID=41sJ+D8YooL&ref=plSrch
limetext.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

disabling hardware acceleration in chrome (you can do that in firefox too) literally freed 1GB of RAM and byebye screeching sound/high cpu temperature and usage

If i install windows on a PC will multiple hard drives and ask windows to do a fresh install will it wipe all hard drives or only the hard drive i install windows to?

On Windows you can paste the link to an image into the file upload thingo instead of saving it to your hard drive, but how do I do it on Mac OS X?

Fairly certain it specifically asks you which hard drive(s) you want to wipe and won't just do it

Classic shell

Pi-hole

You can buy cable management materials, like black spiral binding materials.

I've officially determined that I am unable to have windows isolated in a VM on top of Linux. Not until I get a new pc anyway, which I don't plan on doing until summer.
If I were to use Linux in a VM on Windows (qume maybe?), should I be concerned about the ability of windows 10 to see or acsess what I'm doing in that Linux vm environment?
I want to use Linux in an isolated fashion without dual booting, and am wondering how safe the data in such a system would be

Did mods censored the word 'General'?

No reason to be "concerned" about it at all. You can rest safe in the knowledge that windows has 100% access to the contents of VMs run in it.

I'd like a cheap tablet mainly for drawing, and possibly for watching chinese cartoons, reading etc.

I'm currently looking at the surface pro 2 which seems to be around the £200 mark on ebay, but is there anything better at the same price range?

I've became lazy as fuck. Got no motivation at all for anything, but I love tech. Going to start my first work in 2 days (not tech related), is it going to help me out of this laziness? Any tips for me?

I figured as much. Would setting up the vm drive/image as an encrypted one help any?
By "acsess" do you mean reading, modifying, or both?

If you imagine Windows as a hostile entity, then any access you get (as the user) is secondary.

Hooray. Looks like I won't be doing certain things online for a while.
Curse my need to play games with friends.
I hate how invasive windows can be sometimes. Can't wait to get the new pc later and isolate it from the fun shit

>Classic shell
Eh, not my style. Ive gotten used to the (lack of) usability of the win10 start menu and file explorer, but I really enjoy their aesthetics over XP and Vista. Is there any other UI thing you know of that isnt complete shit and looks good? Im into a clean more modern look.

>Pi-hole
Thats neat. You learn something every day. Not really what I was looting to do though. I hear a lot of you guys have FTP servers and stuff. Can I ask why? Is it useful or helpful at all?

Nice rare brainlet pic
Unplug your HDDs if you're paranoid about the installer or PEBKAC

What's the best way to do backups on Windows? I'm going to replace my laptop with a desktop and I'm going to reuse the SSD in my laptop as the boot drive on the desktop, but I'll probably have to wipe it to prevent the Windows license from shitting itself. Do I just use the built in backup tool in Windows 10?

Is there anyway in firefox for me to just open an .exe file? or open after it saves?

What about zipped files why doesn't it automatically open when it saves? driving me insane.

depends on what you want to back up. Media files are just copy/paste or freefilesync.

You're going to need a new license either way. If you sysprep windows you can usually pop it straight into the new pc, although it's good to get rid of the bloat when switching to a new pc.

I usually just back up everything and then just move over the files that I need onto the new hard drive. I'll try making a full system image backup and reinstalling Windows, otherwise I'll just run Windows without activating it.

Let's say I have two computers connected on a network. Computer 1 is sharing a .exe to computer 2.
What happens if I use computer 2 to run the process? Which computer does it run on?

>write barebones junit test where I just print a message
>get nullpointerexception
explain?

Well either way you're going to need a new activation on the new pc. Why not just get a license from upgrading a pirated 7?

>use computer 2 to run the process
If you mean just clicking on the samba shared file from computer 2, then computer 2.

Defaults to the drive with the OS partition on it (the others aren’t affected). Besides, it usually asks you which drive you want the install to go on to anyway.

Reposting from the older thread.

I wanted to make a seedbox/media center, wanted to spend like 100€ or so, not much more (maybe just get a PSU and a 1150 CPU since I already got all the other stuff, but the cheaper CPU would be a g3220 and it's like 50€, and then I'd replace my PSU and use the old one there, and that would be like another 90€

So, after all my blogpost, is ebay.com/itm/222644154331 worth it? It will be powerful enough to host my webpage too, and I think it has a 10Gbit port, or two. The problem is that I don't know if it's ready to go (it says I need a chasis to mount it to, but I don't really care about that).

It says that I need a C3000/C7000, but wouldn't it actually work without one of these? I'd just have to plug a discrete GPU there to get video output, I guess.

Is pi hole still the go-to ad blocking DNS solution?

Shouldn’t even be possible since sysout.println handles null strings as “”

Im only a student myself, but im pretty sure you cant do logic statements with strings. I think there is a method you can call, like String.isEqual. Dont quote me, but I think its something like that.

The only way to get a NPE from line 36 is if System or out is null.

Did you somehow manage to import System from the wrong package? (actually, iirc System is imported implicitly, so you shouldn't have had to import it at all)

Are you sure that the code you're looking at is what actually compiled and ran?

like said, even if s was null it wouldn't cause a NPE.

I know but I'm guessing this is different because it's a junit test. Maybe junit doesn't allow for printouts?
I get the same error if I just print with nothing else in the test, I just included the if to prove how retarded it is
I didn't import anything but a few junit stuff
>are you sure
yes, if I remove the syso I don't get an error

How is the current macbook/air/pro generation?

>inb4 apple

Trying to connect to irc.rizon.net with SSL on port 6697 but rizon won't let me connect. I already /set irc.server.rizon.ssl_verify true but it won't let me connect.

What am I doing wrong guys?

You would absolutely need the C3000/C7000 chassis, without it you've got no PSU, no control, no IO, the blade module is pretty much just the CPU, RAM, disks and half a motherboard, the chassis provides the rest.

Trying to get 4k 60hz to work on a TV with a 50 foot HDMI cable connected to my PC. I can get my TV to receive a signal at 4K 60hz, but the display colors are pink/purple and green only. If I use an HDMI 2.0 compatible signal booster like this one, do you think it will work?

Calls IT... How do i jpeg?....
How does one simply jpeg..

Also..

I think my scanner ran out of toner. What type does it take....

Kmn

Well, fuck. It looked too good for that price.
I guess I'llgo with the cheapest g3220 and replace my PSU before anything explodes, thought it has been going stronk for like two years.

Macbook and Macbook pro are pretty nice machines if your goal is minimum size and don't care that they've only got USB C / Thunderbolt 3 ports

Macbook Air is pretty old design in comparison, has much more normal IO including regular USB A ports, but has rather low resolution TN screen.

Is there a way for 4chanX to unhide posts on only a single thread (Such as the one I'm posting in right now)? It's a real pain if I accidentally hide *one post* and have to reveal all the other stuff I filtered if I want to unhide it.

Holy shit, you don't ask for much do ya? I think that's the most I've ever seen anyone try and push the spec. I'm surprised you got anything at all.

Actually it's a bit more than 50 ft in total. There are two 3 ft cables, one on each side, connected to outlets at the walls.
1080p 60hz comes through fine with no noticeable issues as far as I can discern, and so does 4k 30hz.
All of the cables are rated at 18gbps.

>Unplug my external hdd from my PC and put it into my laptop
>Unplug it and put it back into my PC
>Says HDD isn't accessible/access denied

How do I recover/fix this issue?

buy a new one, or plug it back to your laptop, if it gets recognized, then do that windows shit to "repair damage"

> DCIM folder is 2.6GB according to two different file editors
>Open DCIM folder on PC and in phone
>It's fucking empty
>The phone is literally wasting 2.6GB on something that's empty
What the fuck is going on with my phone
How do I fix this?

thanks, it worked

I'm adding my drives to fstab, using blkid it gives a UUID, UUID_SUB, and UUID_PART for each drive (each drive has one Btrfs partition). I want UUID_PART, right?

Are slide-out keyboard trays still a thing? I haven't looked at any office furniture since the 90s.

I want to try out some new wm, considering the fact that the only wm i've used was i3. Which one should i download then?

is it possible for a cell phone battery to trigger the 'wet' coloring without ever having getting wet? maybe from age, humidity?

This is what happens when you don't put /sqt/ in your title

Yes
t. someone with a slide out keyboard tray

Cats are fucking assholes

Do you use it?

Whenever I torrent I can seed while my torrent is downloading but after I finish downloading the torrent all uploading stops and the tracker doesn't connect. Is this a closed port issue?

What's a really good alternative to Unlocker on Windows? I use to use it when I was younger, I'm wondering if there is an open source program better maintained.

Why would my Intel P67 motherboard not be booting UEFI? It's set to do it, but it refuses to. Do I need to make a valid ESP and drop files on it? I remember it working in the past when I updated the BIOS while I had an ESP partition...

Can running a compositor fuck with my movie player and running games on Linux. My PC is not shitty and yet there seems to be a lag between audio and video when watching movies

Rarely. Usually I'm just annoyed I have to slide it out.

> My desk has wires for the speaker, keyboard, and mouse kinda splayed everywhere, but I go to Lan parties a good bit and like to pack it up pretty quickly. So without zipties, whats a good way to organize the cables from all my i/o devices, that isnt ugly?

Try velcro cable straps. They stay attached to the cable so you won't lose them. It's much more flexible than trying to use tubing.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001E1Y5O6/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1507691300&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=velcro cable straps&dpPl=1&dpID=41sJ+D8YooL&ref=plSrch

So I've learned C++ and C# for games development (graphics programming and engine work, unity) but my curiosity wants me to explore. I want to "MAKE" something.

I don't know if C# (or C++) is good for making software, but I want to spend a bit of my time developing my skills in non-gaming areas. I want to actually help mankind. I saw limetext.org/ and I just want to help out with projects like that rather than not having a clue where to start.

Javascript seems popular, but other than web development, can I actually DO things with it? What about GO, is it popular / fun?

migrating from H97 board to Z370
Will I have to do a fresh OS install?

Anyone has a usb headphone?

My wife had one. It sucked.

Did it work without driver on Windows?
Why did it suck?

C++ is good for games, yes. C# is Java done right. JS is mostly for web development, but useless everywhere else. Go to Github or Sourceforge, grab a project, and get coding. There's typically an issue list. Find an issue, learn everything you need to get a grasp of what needs to be done, then go do it.

Networking is everything. You need to actually talk to people. You can't do anything if you don't have any context for anything.

Have some outdoor led lights I'd like to put on my balcony-no power socket out there though. Anyone have suggestions that doesn't involve altering the wall or spending money on a battery/solar panel. Maybe a cheap solar panel/battery?

I don't know. She plugged it in, and it worked. She said it sounded god awful for the price. Like what you would expect if you spent $1.50 for some no-name headphones.

She wound up returning them, and getting a pair of Sony XB something.

How do cable splitters work? Why won't video output splitters extend my display?

What's the best way to hide a broken bezel on a monitor?

My piece of shit monitor has a built in stand that can't be removed unless I take out the bezel and it cracked when I was prying it

It's a glossy black and the crack distracts me

How do I draw a circle with radius r with its center at position x, y in (python) turtle graphics?

One wire goes in, two come out. Exact duplicate.

Nice tripz
Thx 4 explaining

Do you remember what it said on the installing devices icon on taskbar, when she plugged it in?

Like if I plug a gamepad it says xbox 360 controller.

Is isopropyl alcohol conductive?

>disabling hardware acceleration in chrome
How though? I only see flags for disabling hardware accelerated 2D canvas and video decode. I see a flag to force *enable* acceleration even if my GPU is blacklisted, but no way to force disable it if it isn't.

does anyone know of a working 280 char twitter plug in?

only if its 99.98% or more pure.

I was trying to make my system dual boot. Somewhere I forgot to remember the BIOS password. I could still use the unlock code to access the BIOS but I notice that
#1 My bootloader isn't in the boot order list
#2 If I try to change the boot order it isn't persistent, changing the moment I shut it down. As you can imagine that's not really useful...

I want to know if this is caused by me forgetting the password, just general wangbloke 10 stuff, or something else entirely. Don't really want to take my laptop apart if I don't have to.

Google 280 character tweetdeck.

980 ti for 300€ or 1070 for 340€?
both used

what does an entry level IT person need to know about tcp/ip

applied for a position and it has

>Basic support of server networks (TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS)

in the description.

i can memorize the layers and all that but it doesnt really seem relevant to tangible work

If you can at least describe how a TCP packet is sent from one host to another you're good to go.

Why don't you try doing that now

So if something slipped under my BGA GPU and i sprayed with canned air to get it out it should be fine right?

kek

There's nothing on this drive, but it shows this. What's up with this? I'm about to format it and I want to make sure it doesn't destroy any important hidden files.

Would be helpful if I attached the image.

any file format will take up space like that, unless you format it to RAW (which is almost impossible without special software or linux)

Thank you?

Download WinDirStat, check F: drive.

Usually just adware if its new like how WD drives come with a trial software to check your HDD.

How do I adjust windows horrible fucking font rendering? Honestly my eyes are bleeding

What are the best mechanical switches?

Why does random shit just not load on Chrome-based browsers?

>YouTube icons
>Instagram
>reviews on Taobao

how come if i do ipconfig (windows) it only reports my private IP under ipv4 when everyone else says its suppose to report the public one?

Did I just answer the question of a fucking frogposter? Your kind makes me sick. Die in a hole.

What's a good clipboard manager for wangnlows 10? I like klipper on loonix.

Can anyone test NFS MW 2005 for me?
I just want to know a few things.

>NFS MW 2005
ive finished that game multiple times, what do you wanna know

I have a very shit pc which I use to play this.

My question is is the cpu usage 100% when playing this? Or is it just me?
Keep in mind it only uses one core.