Attention networking gurus

attention networking gurus
i have a dilemma

i'm settup up a home lab and i'm trying to connect to my cisco 2950 via console (ssh and telnet is not set up) and using putty

problem is that when i connect (with 9600, 8, 1, n no flow control etc) i get a error that says incorrect com port.

in fact when i check my device manager there are no com ports shown even if i select show hidden devices

im using a rollover cable with a usb converter in my usb 3.0 interface (using a AmazonBasics USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter) and i can see the device listed but it has no com port!

the device is listed under network adapters so i'm worried it's trying to connect via IP like SSH and telnet,

how do i make putty connect in this situation? or make my adapter behave like a serial com port??

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-6-CISCO-HP-DELL-JUNIPER-USB-CONSOLE-USB-RJ45-CCNA-CCNP-LAB-FTDI-CHIP-/142025207980?hash=item21115cb0ac:g:pmYAAOSwGIRXYDca
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

forgot to mention windows 10

RTFM

That's the problem, try XP or Vista

RTFM you shutter. I hope you aren’t some mediocre Information Systems student, because if so, your life will be underwhelming if you can’t bother to learn this type of shit on your own.
>We’re not helpdesk - that’s gonna be YOUR job 10 years down the road, you lazy fuck

OP BTFO

would setting up a virtual com port be beneficial?

Use a USB to Serial adapter instead.

Seriously? Connect it to the console port.

>im using a rollover cable with a usb converter in my usb 3.0 interface (using a AmazonBasics USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter)
1 - How retarded are you? The Cisco has a serial port and you're trying to use a enternet dongle to connect to it.

2 - How the fuck did you even manage to do this. If the 8C8P on the console cable is plugged in to the ethernet dongle, then how the fuck is the DB9 connected to the switch? Because they dont have DB9 connectors on the switch.

3 - If you cant even figure out how the difference between a serial port and a ethernet port, what makes you think you can configure this switch?

4 - Why do you even have this old as fuck switch instead of something like a 3560/3750 G/E?

I've set up routers and switches on Win 10... OP makes it sound like he did zero set up at all on the 2950 before trying to connect to it.

this seems like a ccna exam question without the vaguely worded answers

my laptop doesn't have a serial port, i have usb and the switch only has a rj45 connecter

get the correct drivers for your cable
make sure you're using the right COM port it's virtualizing (might be COM3 instead of COM1)

and do this these are MUCH better solutions that require less driver fuckery
usb rollover cables are crud

CCNA exam questions are nothing like that. I'm not even sure what OP is trying do, there's a console port which he needs to plug in but for some reason, he's trying to configure the switch with a USB-ethernet cable.

oh wait, you're using usb->rj45->straight through cable->console port?

lol
no

>i have usb and the switch only has a rj45 connecter
Its a 8C8P connector. And just because it has one doesnt mean it is ethernet. Its a serial port you retard. You buy a USB to Serial dongle, not a USB to ethernet dongle.

Buy this so you can figure out the hard way that you're incapable of configuring this switch.

ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-6-CISCO-HP-DELL-JUNIPER-USB-CONSOLE-USB-RJ45-CCNA-CCNP-LAB-FTDI-CHIP-/142025207980?hash=item21115cb0ac:g:pmYAAOSwGIRXYDca

Shut the fuck up you retard

You're retarded as well.

ftdi sucks in windows environment, usb->serial->console cable is better

th-thanks

>ftdi sucks in windows environment, usb->serial->console cable is better
Its literally the same thing you retard. All you're doing is adding an unnecessary connector

k lab kid

that was the joke