/hpg/ Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones
>Guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-17-perfecting-perfection:
eu.jvc.com/microsite/eu/szfxz/sz/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

T H I C C

what is the second best headphone behind the ma900?

>Miku
Truly a deaf man's waifu.

Are we doing these again?

Japanese audio is always shit. In the 90s japanese speaker systems were the biggest meme and worse than no highs no lows Bose. Nips do not buy japanese headphones. Theres a reason STAX has so little international presence the only way to get their shitty products fixed is flying to Japan yourself and walking into a store, you cant just ship it.

You are probably right, it's just that the circle of confusion keeps me thinking of what an ideal would be... maybe we should stop looking at the studio and pay more attention to the live presentations, i mean, when you hear live music you are not listening to something produced to sound somewhat good from any source, but to something that was produced to sound like that for everyone, by people who could hear the same thing from the same source and position as the listener, and modern speakers and techniches pretty much kills phase problems and other acoustic discrepancies which would get in the way of people having the same experience as their peers.

My best advice is to research what kind of sound signatures well-respected people in the field of audio prefer, try them out via EQ, and decide for yourself what sounds best to your ears. I prefer a signature like the ER-4S, or something similar to what Bob Katz describes in innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-17-perfecting-perfection: flat bass with a slight treble reduction. You may prefer something else. You may prefer something brighter, like diffuse field curve. You may prefer something bassier, like Harman target or Olive target. Try different signatures with EQ. Listen to them extensively. Make up your own mind.

>Budget
about 100-150 USD ?
>Location
USA
>Source
My android smartphone, via Bluetooth
>Type of headphone
Earphones (?)
>Open or closed
Any
>Comfort level
To run and exercise with so Bluetooth
>Sound signature
open to recommendations
no bass boost though
>Past headphones
wired Philips, Sony

Please don't laugh, did anyone got Google Pixel Buds a try?

This chart may be a helpful reference for you as you play with EQ. You may end up figuring out that what you prefer isn't what any experts prefer at all and is unique to you. Happy listening, user.

>bluetooth
>please don't laugh
>bluetooth

>You may prefer something bassier, like Harman target or Olive target.
t. jamal

it's no fun to run with wired headphones.

What headphones do you own? What are your tastes?

Running is shit-tier unnecessarily high impact exercise anyways, but you really shouldn't have any trouble with IEMs with the wires over the ears and a headphone wire clip on your collar.

t. DYEL

do you have any specific ones you can recommend?

I do indeed lift.

no, you're a DYEL tier faggot

It's seriously the worst, hardest on the joints, most injury-prone form of cardio you could possibly choose. Only a masochist would willingly choose running over bicycling, elliptical, swimming, etc., as their cardio of choice.
Anyways, just know that if you go Bluetooth they're either going to sound like shit, be terribly overpriced or both.

if your choice of cardio is anything but squats and deadlifts you're a skinny little shit who can't even bench 2plate

>Google product with microphone attached to the internet
Botnet much?
Or even fucking walking. 30 minutes of walking at a brisk pace per day five times per week is enough exercise to make you live longer according to science, whereas there's zero proven correlation between lifting and longer lifespan.

indeed google is my botnet of choice since i'm a Android user.
do you have any specific IEMs ones you can recommend?

Just picked these up and they're coming tomorrow. How comfy are they, usually? I heard they're pretty good but I'm concerned a little for 8 hour+ use.

Research ones designed to be worn with the cable over the ear. Wear these with a headphone clip attached to your shirt collar and run the cable from the clip under your shirt. Put phone/PMP either in your pocket or clipped to your waistline. This should be completely unproblematic.

They are amongst the most comfortable headphones available and should be fine for long-term use.

Thank you

hello i need help picking out earbuds thx friends

>Budget
Around $100, pretty flexible. Ideally i wouldnt want to spend more than $100 but i could go up to $150 if product entices me enough
>Location
USA
>Source
iphone/PC
>Type
IEMs :)
>Comfort
i wont be running in these but as long as they dont hurt after a short amount of time its cool with me. ear-buds are usually comfortable anyway unless the plug is too big and even then its easy to get a smaller ear plug so im not too worried about comfort. but of course comfy is good
>Sound Signature
i think i would prefer a more neutral response but i haven't tested out enough headphones to say which i would like the best. as long as its not on the far extremes for either side i think i would seriously consider it
>Past Headphones
I've been using a pair of Sennheiser CX 5.00i's for a couple years now and i have really enjoyed them. However, i have noticed a tear in the cords casing near the jack so i worry about its condition and just how much longer it will last.

thx again friendos

I've heard people say that the HD 598 is pretty much identical to the HD 579, just more expensive. What are the actual differences between them?

HD579 has much better sub-bass extension but otherwise sounds practically identical to HD558/598. Note this does not mean it has more midbass, which is good. The sub-bass extension is simply much better. It's definitely an improvement on 558/598 because of this. It's like a DT880 with better soundstage, better mids and no ear-rape treble now.

>Soundstage
You have not heard or own either, have you?

I'm not even going to entertain this conversation. I've seen too many times where debating something that can't be measured gets /hpg/. Nope. Not taking the bait.

Then you shouldn't have mentioned soundstage. The 579s are said to have less soundstage than the 598 from what I've read.

off topic, but I just ordered some 579's and I'm looking to buy some leather earpads since I prefer that to velour, but I can't find anything on amazon. Anyone know any good pads that go well with 579s?

>Better mids
Literal jej. Less treble is a definite though

Nobody should take seriously anyone who posts shitty retard melanin-enhanced target curve compensated rtings measurements instead of the infinitely more useful raw measurements.

Are these nigger bass headphones yet?

No, but they didn't manage to measure with with a proper seal.

Seems like it's the ol' case of no sub-bass Sennheisers. DT 880s as a comparison; too bad those peaks exist non EQd

please stop this meme, the extension doesn't magically come out of nowhere, seal is not so important on electrodynamics.

and don't post your cherrypicked outlier frequency reponse graph from goldenears for the 500th time.

They didn't manage to measure this with a proper seal either.

I'm starting to think you just use that term as a scapegoat

I started to think you just incorrectly claim it's wrong whenever it doesn't fit your narrative a long time ago.

you just proved him right

if the hd600 had good bass then there would be no reason to refresh the hd600 as the hd650 and the hd660S

Like that GE measurement you keep posting every time someone mentions no sub-bass?

the moron will claim every other measurement on the internet except his cherrypicked goldenears measurement is 'poor seal'

'Poor seal' is a meme. Pic related is a perfect seal on a flat coupler

The image you posted is not only an example of a poor seal but one channel is clearly defective going by the THD measurement. "Accurate" is another term that can replace "cherrypicked." So is "well-sealed."

>clearly defective going by the THD measurement.
do you seriously think the hd600 THD is lower than what is depicted on IF? are you fucking retarded? go bavk to head-fi jesus christ

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Poor seal, user. There's literally no sub-bass

>one channel's 90 dB THD is considerably higher than the other channel's 100 dB THD
One channel is very clearly defective on InnerFidelity's measured HD600.

that is not a seal issue.

Correct, but the measurement is also clearly poorly-sealed.

>no bass, they say, while simultaneously posting cherrypicked graphs and complaining about cherrypicking

no, it isn't, you fucking idiot. not a single one of the raw measurements different significantly from the others and tyll has never had a poor seal on every single measurement of a headphone. you're just grasping for straws to justify the cherrypicked graph you love to spam on reddit and here.

>That bass roll-off
That exactly is "no sub-bass"

look at the y-axis scales of the top right and middle graphs on your image you fucking idiot, of course they look like they have bass extension.

ironically every single measurement in that image shows the same bass extension, falling off just like the one of the bottom left.

I do not post on Reddit.
>graphs which demonstrate excellent bass extension
>hurr no bass
Is this Sup Forums or Oceania?

This is you shilling and defending headphones you don't own

Absolutely disgusting.

go back to plebbit you measurement illiterate fuckwit

I'm sorry you can't read measurements.
>>>/gaia/

Is the Sennheiser HD 598 Cs just a better version of the HD 569? Also, which are more comfortable, since they both say "very comfortable" in the pastebin: Status Audio CB-1 or Sennheiser HD 569?

>>>>/gaia/
you're just as retarded as the hd600 idol shitposter, don't try to invite more people to that shitty site you frequent

I wonder how many silent footfags come to this thread just to fap to OP pic and then leave?

Sennheiser literally can't into close back headphones

It's basically an HD569 with a headband which is simultaneously more and less durable. Its headband literally cannot be cracked in half, but the pleather on its underside may eventually flake. HD569's headband is crackable, but has no pleather. Your call. They sound the same judging by rtings and InnerFidelity raw measurements.

This is not a dummy head measurement and thus is not representative of the headphone's actual sound. It is only useful for comparing headphones measured with the same equipment. It's actually quite embarrassing that HD598Cs quickly developed a poor reputation on /hpg/ simply because of this measurement; it's quite embarrassing and reflects poorly on /hpg/ that anyone took this measurement seriously.

stop posting

>stop providing reasonable counter-arguments to my shitposting because I want to control /hpg/ narrative through unchallenged shitposting
No.

>reasonable counter-arguments
when you start doing this i won't tell you to fuck off, until then keep your retarded, shitty uninformed opinions the fuck off this site and go back to r/headphones and jerking it to z reviews.

if you're cripplingly incapable of interpreting flat coupler measurements then seriously, stop fucking posting you utter fucking idiot.

"You're wrong, (ad hominem)" is not an argument.

>posts bullshit
>called out for it
>can't formulate a decent counter-argument
>can't comprehend why he was called out for it
back to r/headphones

Someone who owns them can chime in with the CB-1, but if you're concerned about comfort I would the HD569, not the HD598CS, since it has velour padding for both the headband and earcups.

"You're wrong, (reddit)" is not an argument.

Stop posting and post your headphones, fagget. I want to know how far you are from the HD 600s you constantly shill for

My amplifier burned out!
The one that I never used!
I went to do the BOOM BOOM and the amplifier went a BWAM BWAM and now I need an amplifier for the bassiest meme phones ever made!
eu.jvc.com/microsite/eu/szfxz/sz/index.html
(those are the bassiest meme phones ever made in case you did not know)

see

Neither is

Can a smsl 793ii power a 600 ohm headphones? I know they power the hd600 fine.

ican special edition

HD600 isn't even a part of this conversation. You're losing the plot m8.

also the sz2000 are not the bassiest meme phones anymore, the kannon is

You've moved the goalpost so far, it doesn't even matter anymore. Post 'em

yes it is, it's about you posting hd600 measurements you don't understand and claiming any hd600 measurement that doesn't fit your agenda has sealing issues.

SZ2K's a bass monster. Put HM5 pads and they'll be woofers on your ears.

>everyone who posts something counter to my posts is the same anonymous poster I don't like
Believe it or not, this isn't true m8.

it's easy to identify the redditposter

Post your h e a d p h o n e s, my nigguh

DT 880 250 ohm or 400i ?

HD600

DT 880 then EQ down that peak. Else, HE-400i

Alright thanks, if my budget was higher you think I should get the Fideleo X2?

No.

You guys always know exactly what to say! Thank you so much, I appreciate it!

No. They are more mid-bass oriented, adding mud. But they are built better and are comfier, if that matters to you.

Do high impedance headphones actually sound better? I feel like headphone amps are all placebo middleman stuff

>ma900
what is this garbage?