/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki's_EFI_Install_Guide/Disabling_the_Intel_Management_Engine#next_steps
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=18383
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

In ranger how do i make it execute the command i put in a keybinding without having to press enter?

just press enter u pussy

no

Just get some voice software and make the enter key activate when you say "I'M READY TO BE PENETRATED"

can someone do this better?
for i in `seq 1 100`; do [ $(($i%3)) != 0 ] && [ $(($i%5)) != 0 ] && printf $i || { [ $(($i%3)) = 0 ] && printf fizz; [ $(($i%5)) = 0 ] && printf buzz; }; echo; done

I'm interested in both POSIX sh and bash

How do I install discord into my terminal

I'm using zsh if it matters

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

for i in {1..100};{((i%3))&&x=||x=Fizz;((i%5))||x+=Buzz;echo ${x:-$i};}
bash

nice

how do I become a wizard like you

Read lots of code. Things like >you don't need $ for (()) variables or you can shave some other bytes by using { } instead of do done add up.

Get on my level.
seq 100|sed 5~5cBuzz|sed 3~3s/[^B]*/Fizz/

What the fuck.

That's....!!! He.....!!!

hired

how do I stop the edges of my fonts from cutting off in icecat?

I somewhat fixed it and have a much cooler font now too

good thread

Did this meme ever get dubs? I think it's cursed.

Get on my level, son

Whoops, forgot my image

who is this guy

>caring about digits

>not caring about digits
>>>redd.it

I'll assume this post is ironic

Anyway to not end up with a bunch of unclutter processes open at the same time?

how would you end up with a bunch of unclutter processes open at the same time in the first place?

Idk, it runs once and it stays open, then another one starts and stays open etc etc

what command do you use to start unclutter in your startup script and what's your startup script (.xinitrc, your wm config, DE autostart file, something else)?

Stay away from my daughter, Sarah!

I start it in i3's config.

exec_always --no-startup-id unclutter

I don't even use i3, but it wasn't hard to google "exec_always i3" and get this
i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html
>exec commands will not run when restarting i3, if you need a command to run also when restarting i3 you should use the exec_always keyword
also, there's usually hardly any need to restart i3, you can just reload the config
>You can make i3 reload its configuration file with reload. You can also restart i3 inplace with the restart command to get it out of some weird state (if that should ever happen) or to perform an upgrade without having to restart your X session.
be smarter, user

Convince me to use Linux if you can

We'll send you a free RMS poster

That is tempting senpai.

I have to use chromium for work, what can I do to increase my privacy on it?

use firejail

>just now learn about intel management engine
>have a look at a guide to disable it

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki's_EFI_Install_Guide/Disabling_the_Intel_Management_Engine#next_steps

is this next level autism or something to be genuinely concerned about?

Keep having this issue in openbox whenever I try to open places and recents.

Fresh install of openbox on Arch

>inb4 google
I already googled. Nothing came up.

Did you try looking into what the message is telling you?

>Antegross

sudo chmod 777 [path]

I apologize if this is a brainlet question but I am installing arch and I'm not sure if my wireless network is connected properly, when I enter dhcpcd "interface" it just says "sending commands to master dhcpcd process" and when I check systemctl status dhcpcd@"interface".service it says "active:failed (Result: protocol)" and "dhcpcd@'interface'.service: PID file /run/dhcpcd-'interface'.pid not readable (yet?) after start: No such file or directory" and other things such as "Unit entered failed state" and "Failed with result 'protocol'". What does result protocol mean and how do I make the wireless connection work? I already configured wpa_supplicant, is there a step I might be missing, other than what's on the wiki?

That seemed to fix it. Thanks!

>enters random stuff without even knowing what it does

Just got debian and all my apps up and running, is there anything (aside from games) this thing CAN'T do?

It mods permissions

You still don't know what it does, because if you did, you could have solved your problem yourself by reading the error message.
You most likely don't understand permissions and don't even know what that chmod exactly did.

be as cool as void

i use void btw

chmod 777 gives full access to everyone to whatever file you ran the command at. Now I know what it does, I can use it.

it can do games actually

I am willing to bet that that file you modified is owned by root and had 660 or similar permissions.
It was owned by root because you ran the program which generated it as root (with sudo) because you ran into a problem and thought that sudo is a magical thing which solves every problem. That created that file owned by root and you got that error that you couldn't read it. Instead of checking the permissions and owner as it told you, you just entered some random thing a person told you and it "fixed" your issue in the dirtiest way possible and I'm not talking about making that file needlessly globally writeable, executable and readable.

>'m not talking about making that file needlessly globally writeable, executable and readable.
what are you talking about then

It was in the home directory. The user (in this case me) owned it, but didn't have permissions to execute it. Besides, I didn't change the owner. That would've been chown instead of chmod.

>not even using quotes
the madman

His attitude towards "solving" problems by being spoonfed wrong answers.

I don't see your fucking ass helping him, just criticizing him.

Please someone answer, is there at least an alternative way to connect to wifi?

>not using perl
$ perl -e 'map{$x=$_%3?"":"Fizz";$_%5or$x.="Buzz";warn$x||$_,$/}1..1e2'

Yes and it's explained in the Arch Wiki at the part where it talks about connecting to the internet.

Can it run fortnite?

hey I am trying to install fedora 26 with gnome on my 2tb drive. I formatted it to ext4. now i'm at the install window trying to configure the space for it.

It says available space 1.2mb, total space 1.82tb

what do I do

It helped him. I told him to read the message. It clearly mentions not having permissions, so a sane person would check the permissions of the file to see what's wrong.

Firejail causes more problems than it solves, constant vulnerabilities that weren't there without the sandboxing.

You'd be much better off just running the web browser in a dedicated VM, something small like Alpine.

Are you just mad he didn't listen to you or something?

try neyworkmanager or wicd, both have curses interface

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=18383
apparently, yes

any help pls?

Friend, re-install your OS and don't blindly follow instructions in the future, that file is permanently accessible and modifiable to anyone now.

>pretentious arch user
>can't read
>just copy/pastes tongue-in-cheek replies from other people
>"lol r u just mad he didn't listn 2 u?"

Enjoy having to read retard's post and wasting precious bandwidth on their retardation in the future.

This isn't b. You don't need to "bump" your question every 30 seconds.

That's retarded. He can change the permissions again. The point is not that it's a huge mistake, the point was that he's an idiot who doesn't think a second about anything.

Are you sure you formatted the drive?

In any case, select the advanced partitioning (I'll do it myself) or something and manually delete everything that's there. Then create your /, home and swap partitions yourself

hello RMS

>re-install your OS
Fucking kek. Don't listen to this fucktard. Go into whatever file manager you use and update whatever permissions he changed.

>he's an idiot
Notice how it says "Friendly GNU/Linux Thread"

I bet you're fun at parties.

It's not that simple, I've been using Linux for years, I know this.

>>pretentious arch user
>>can't read
>>just copy/pastes tongue-in-cheek replies from other people
>>"lol r u just mad he didn't listn 2 u?"
hehe
in his defense, though, arch is pretty much the worst when it comes to unexpected "permission denied" messages.
only distro where I had to change permissions of stuff regularly

I did using gparted. I created a bootable live cd on a usb, Formated the drive. Well, I set it to automatic partitioning, it said not enough space; do you want to delete/reclaim? and then I clicked delete all, reclaim space.

>distributions have anything to do with permissions
You're as stupid as he is.

I'm far from an expert, but don't something things add a megabyte of two or so of unpartitioned spaceas buffer at the beginning of a drive? maybe it's trying to use or do that. does fedora not come with a partioning tool you use during install?

It kinda is these days grandpa

>>distributions have anything to do with permissions
yes, they do.

Can I install debian on a macbook with reasonable stability, or is the hardware too fucky and it's just a toy thing?

it should be fine. just doa quick search of

"laptop model" install linux

and see if any people who did ran into problem before you go wiping partitions and then discovering the wifi modules don't work and you need a 32bit EFI bootloader for a 64bit kernel.

Any chance you can post a screenshot of some sort? We'll be able to see what's happening clearer then

hello /faglets/

how goes?

Actually, Linus doesn't use Debian because he couldn't.

Is there any way to get something like apple quick look on Debian/KDE?

Prove how they do you retarded, idiocy spouting imbecile.

>retarded, idiocy spouting imbecile
why would I want to interact any further with a toxic person like you?

clearly default permissions of various folders and files vary between distributions. That someone would dispute this fact is frankly amazing to me (and shows he/she has little experience using linux)
>prove
nah, I have better things to do with my time

What does he use?

There are no "default" permissions for files in the HOME directory, because they don't exist. They are the product of the user installing programs and modifying them.

You can't prove that there are meaningful differences, because there aren't. Your only argument is an ad-hominem.

If you have to modify permissions of files installed by packages to make them work, then that's a bug in the package and you have to report it. But you can't even point out such an occurrence, because it never happened and you are wrong.
Feel free to prove otherwise.

Fedora

>not naming your computer as a combination of the current distro and your last name

>it never happened and you are wrong.
>Feel free to prove otherwise.
why don't you go ahead and proof that every permission of every file in every package in every distribution ever is identical?
thats a clearly outrageous statement, and anyone having used more than one distribution for longer than a month will know it's false.

>Feel free to prove otherwise.
nah, not gonna start installing a bunch of distros in VMs to prove a(n obvious) point to some sperg on the internet. as I said, I have better things to do

What do you mean install discord into your terminal? If you want to install discord on your computer then either use your package manager if it's packaged or get the deb or tar.gz from the discord site.