/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch Essentials 102: pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bSSC9e_RO6Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Which G-Shock is the dressiest?

ALL POSITIONS

Why don't you guys just go over to /fa/?

Why don't you watch the video in the OP?

Why is there a 9 at the six o'clock position?

Brainlet?

No just critical of retarded design.

That dial is really hard to read

For you, Mr. Connoisseur.

ching chong

Is it weird that I would pick a Rolex over these haute horlogerie watches every time? Seems more practical.

How would you rate 8rxx movements against an 1861?
From what I have read, the 8r48 is a column wheel vertical clutch chrono with added shock resistance compared to the 8r28
Other than that I'm oblivious to how it compares to other brands

Rolex GMT Master II is a great watch and I really want one.
But grand complication watches are a different level to a Rolex.

Those are too delicate and impractical to me. Regardless of being a higher level. Rolex is the highest I would go.

why do pretentious fucks give so much of a shit about watches?

Why do pretentious fucks like you give so much of a shit about pretentious fucks who give so much of a shit about watches?

Rolex are known to be very reliable, it's one of their main selling points. Something like a GMT would make a great daily watch. However it's not a dress watch for more formal occasions.

I kind of want to get a BWF watch because I can't afford a Maison Celadon, and they still look nice. I'm trying to decide between that and a Sarb. Not sure what to expect quality-wise.

It sure is. You can weara Rolex every day, while a Ferrier is a collection piece.

Still would rather wear a tasteful datejust for dress over buying something dressier but more delicate. I know it is not necessarily a dress watch but it is acceptable and most people would not question it.

Agreed but I'd personally have a Rolex or two as part of a collection rather than the only thing I wore.

they do look nice, i have had no complaints about mine. i put it on the timegrapher at school an it ran at an avg of -5spd in a very impressive straight line.

Here my Slav GMT

>However it's not a dress watch for more formal occasions.
Explorer 1 is a great choice then. Sport enough for every day use, but still clean and slim enough to go fantastically well with formal wear

wearing this piece of shit i found in my late dad's drawer, cleaned it up and put a battery in it- runs accurately so far the whole day. most probably fake but meh.

love the Explorer 1 design, was told by the local Rolex dealer the Oyster Perpetual 114200 is the entry level model for any newbie buying their first piece- is this correct?

Found the Pepsi Samurai for only 280 on ebay so I jumped on it
can't fuckin wait for it to get here

Working on an old Peseux 7040. Neat little movement, after servicing it's doing above 300°. Watch is a Rotary from when they where still Swiss/British, not chink.

Dial side, minus the hour wheel. I may have over oiled that wire spring a bit, but it should still function through the years.

What are some cool poljot de luxe homage watches?

Glashütte Original Senator 60's perhaps? VC and JLC make some too, but they're not blatant knock-offs, more like Poljot-inspired.

Sekonda Deluxe. They aren't so much homages as rebranded. They were usually either Poljot or Luch deluxes, mine is a Luch.

you post this in every /wt/. give it a break already.

Thata a cool watch, leave him alone.

I only post it if it's relevant.

no...you post it whenever you get the chance. I do like the watch but I have seen it on 10+ threads. getting sick of it

who /accutron/ here?

Good taste all around, This has been the best thread yet thus far.

Looking for reccomendations on casual watches. Considering Alpinist but I am by no means only considering seiko, it’s just what I know about. What brands should I check out for < 500 everyday watches?

Hamilton khaki (or jazzmaster I guess)

oddly satisfying resizing my own bracelets

this

Thank you but I was under the impression that Hamilton’s were shitty Chinese cases with bottom tier ETAs? Are they actually decent? Just what I’ve picked up from the threads

just like any other entry level Swatch watch. chinese everything with a probably mostly chinese eta movement.

They actually have pretty decent finishing for the price nice dials and the intramatic has a 2892 which is actually an excellent movement even in standard form. You will not get a better watch for under 500 dollars. The important part however is that you like it. Try to find it locally somewhere and try it on.

>How would you rate 8rxx movements against an 1861?
This comparison is an excellent example of a case where you have to balance the technical design merits of a movement against the amount of labor spent on finishing, adjustment and regulation.

From a technical perspective the 8RXX has a higher beat rate, hacking, automatic winding, a vertical clutch, and a column wheel design as compared to the low beat, non-hacking, manual, horizontal clutch, cam actuated design of the 1861. The only technical weakness of the 8Rxx compared to the 1861 is the lack of a screw type micro-adjuster for the regulator which would make regulation easier and aid shock resistance.

If you just look at the technical specifications the 8RXX appears to be vastly better overall, but that doesn't account for the much greater amount of finishing labour on the movement, and the much greater amount of labour spent on adjusting and regulating the 1861 movement. Mind you, this labour expenditure can only make the 1861 better at keeping the running time from the factory than the 8Rxx. As far as chronograph timekeeping goes the 8RXX should be flatly better in accuracy and shock resistance based on its design advantages.

And the Chinese Seiko cases with the Malaysian movements? its not just entry level swiss its entry level.

Not at all. Different people are interested in different genres of watches. Even though I find haute horlogerie fascinating, my main areas of interest are high-end production watches both new and from the 1960s to 1970s, so those are the watches I actually buy.

Except Seiko charges accordingly. Except the SKX.

You don't get a finely finished hand-made watch for 500, whether Japanese, swiss, German, English, or otherwise. A common complaint around swiss watches with drop-in eta movements is that they're priced far above their technical merit. For example, an iwc or panerai with nearly the same movement quality as a $500 Hamilton. But that criticism doesn't really apply to the very cheapest watches with eta movements for obvious reasons.

The 2892 in the intramatic in particular might be the best movement available at that price point, from any region.

Under $500? Seiko, Orient Ray 2 or Mako 2, there are a few microbrands worth considering (Obris Morgan, Aevig, Halios).

The Intramatic is hardly a casual everyday watch. Plus, I'd find it hard to justify a buying a watch that proves that Swatch could sell ETA 2892-A2 powered watches for under $1,000 and doens't solely to maximise the extent to which they cuck you.

That's largely correct. The Swatch Groups low tier brands are basically made deliberately far shittier than they could be and should be for the price because they exist solely to try and eventually upsell you to an Omega by having all the little flaws in the design knaw at you every time you look at the Omega advertisement you paid for.

>The 2892 in the intramatic in particular might be the best movement available at that price point, from any region.
And only allowed to be sold at that price point because it doesn't have a second hand.

I remember being hyped as fuck with these Vostok Neptunes, especially the green one, 2 years ago. They used to get always out of stock in matter of a few minutes. Recently, meranom has released a new batch and they are still on sale. Now I find them ugly as fuck and unineteresting. Anyone here with the same feel? I remeber you guys also used to jerk off to this Russian piece of "special edition" crap two years ago.

I never liked them. The hands, case shape and bracelet in particular. The dials are cool though.

What does /wt/ think about deployant clasps on dress watches?

Yep, I know what you mean, they were pretty hyped. You could always try to dump it on watchuseek. After making 100 posts anyways.

I don't like clasps on anything. If I could have buckles on bracelets I'd use that.

The hype was so huge I remember people selling them on ebay and even watchuseek for like 350€, a watch that should cost 60€.

>60€
Don't be ridiculous, they're worth twice that. Not 350 of course.

it is worth restoring a timex M24?

tfw bought a leather strap with a deployant clasp for me thin dress watch and with those it doesn't feel so thin anymore.
The clasp is as thick as the watch damnit.

No. If it has very high sentimental value, maybe, but still probably no.

saves the leather

What's the appeal? Looks so boring to me.

i bought two of them from a watch forum for 240 total, then resold it for 360. so for essentially a free watch i cant complain :3
the dial is really nice but the hands a bit less well finished. the case and bracelet are about as well finished as you would expect from a vostok though. its a great daily watch.

stealth "wealth"

450 dollars sarbs? chinese case Malaysian machine made unadjusted 6r15... better than buying an intramatic?

114270 is superior.

A lot of people think its nice. its accurate, waterproof, well finished, and not crazy expensive for what it is. If you don't like its that is fine but it clearly has appeal. its not divisive at all either so i don't know why you are even asking this question.

look man we get that swatch is shity and they do shitty stuff but the intramatic is still the best option here.

So a go-to rolex for the poor? That's it?

That's the OP, not the explorer.

is this one. found it on a drawer, probably it was from my dad

You are confusing it with the Explorer II.

>accurate
>waterproof
>well finished

Yeah its a Rolex lol.
So the price is the appeal here?

Hey guys, I just noticed that the little circle stamped on the caseback of my 70's Helbros Invincible isn't actually the brand logo. What could this mean? Was this watch one of those promethium-lumed watches that existed only for a short while?

I've already relumed it long ago though, then I assumed it was just dead tritium.

Alright thanks for the tips. Need to clarify some things.

1. The Intramatic is a bit too dressy for me everyday but I understand the value in the movement. Field watches really don’t seem that popular in other brands, the heritage ranger is a nice style but way too expensive for me.
2. I thought only the Seiko 5s were Malaysian made? And people said the SARBs were totally made in Japan including case and movement, is this false? They’re not adjusted either so they might be inaccurate?

Man i don't know what you are getting at. I personally like the way it looks and it is my favorite rolex if you don't like it cool.

I don't think anybody would bother faking a Rado.

also, it is worth fixing? ir runs very slowly and doesnt have the seconds hand

No

youtube.com/watch?v=bSSC9e_RO6Y

That is a 90s icon.
They run for around a grand while they work, if you can get it fixed for less than that then go for it.

any recommendation for a replacement strap for it? a leather/nato that would good look with?

Definitely get a nato for it.

Keep the original for authenticity.
If you absolutely want to get a different strap, go for nato to avoid overly dressing this piece.