Windows fucks its users - again

Remind me why proprietary software is safe again, Sup Forums

>CVE-2017-11779 fixed by Microsoft in October of 2017, covers multiple memory corruption vulnerabilities in the Windows DNS client. The issues affect computers running Windows 8/ Server 2012 or later, and can be triggered by a malicious DNS response. An attacker can exploit this issue to gain arbitrary code execution in the context of the application that made the DNS request.

>This means that if an attacker controls your DNS server (e.g., through a Man-in-the-Middle attack or a malicious coffee-shop hotspot) – they can gain access to your system. This doesn’t only affect web browsers – your computer makes DNS queries in the background all the time, and any query can be responded to in order to trigger this issue.

bishopfox.com/blog/2017/10/a-bug-has-no-name-multiple-heap-buffer-overflows-in-the-windows-dns-client/

>Windows
>secure
Pick one

>only in Windows 8 and Windows server 2012
Why is this relevant? Windows 8 is five years old.

Are you unable to read?

>The issues affect computers running Windows 8/ Server 2012 or later
>or later

>These vulnerabilities affect all versions of Windows from Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012 through Windows 10 / Windows Server 2016. Versions of Windows prior to this are not vulnerable.

>remote code injection bug has existed in the wild for five years
Windows users will defend this.

It clearly says that it affects all versions from Windows 8/Server 2012 up to Windows 10/Server 2016

>running Windows 8/ Server 2012 or later
Lol, hhahahahahhahahaha

I fucking knew the safe bet was to remain on 7. I knew it!

Lol I'm using 7 which makes me safe.

>Lol I'm using 7 which makes me safe.
So does installing the patch tbqh.

Heartbleed, freetard.

How shit must the pajeets working at Microsoft be at code validation and reviewing, if it's preferable to run a six year old kernel with known security issues rather than installing newer versions with unknown security issues?

>accident

1) Heartbleed was not in the wild for so long
2) Heartbleed was a library issue, alternative SSL implementations to OpenSSL existed then and exists now
3) Hearbleed didn't allow fucking remote code injection running in ring 0

All your systems may be compromised without you even knowing it.

>Windows
Found your problem

>All your systems may be compromised without you even knowing it.
Then shut the fuck up.

>Angry and confused Windows user lashing out

>Then shut the fuck up
Why? You it's imperative that everyone running Windows 8 or newer install the security patch ASAP.

>Windows toddler can't read

>Windows toddlers think running archaic and EOL'd versions of Windows make them safe

>Windows toddler is unable to understand the severity of this vulnerability compared to other vulnerabilities

>Windows toddler think just shutting up about the issue makes it go away

Windows toddlers on suicide watch.

This is actually quite bad.

>Windows 8 and Windows server 2012

And everything newer.

>Windows toddlers think running archaic and EOL'd versions of Windows make them safe
kek, winblows 7 has been vulnerable since beta.

I don't understand why Microsoft would publicly announce this, rather than just fixing it silently. Doesn't announcing it make it known to potential exploiters, who can then target systems that aren't easily updated? What's Microsoft's reasoning behind going public with this?

This. Showing vulnerabilities to everyone is why I will never use an open source system. It's just shooting yourself in the foot.

The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

It does if it got Windows 8 or newer installed.

I gotta wonder what it's like to buy an overpriced laptop like that where one of the selling points is the OS that it includes and install an OS that is supported on any other laptop in the market

Dual booting exists, you know.

Microsoft on suicide watch