What kind of external mass storage are you using?

What kind of external mass storage are you using?

I need something around 5TB. Recommendations?

Well buy a 5TB HDD.

zip disks

Just get the cheapest drive you can find and put it in an enclosure like this.

HHDs aren't for archival.
There's a good chance it won't even spin up anymore after years of being left unpowered.

Then what is used for archivesz?

LTOs usually

>using SSD maymays on HDDs
>imply OP asked for archival purpose storage means
fook awff wud ya m80

SSDs aren't meant for archival either.

External mass storage does not necessarily equal archival.
End yourself.

NAS
16TB
Synology

using an external drive beyond 2TB is just stupid and you are just asking to lose shit

Putting it in a labelled storage box screams archival to me.

I use 3X 5TB Seagate 2.5"

One for my shit, one on my shelf for my yearly backup, and one off site at my grandfathers house in a different city. I swap my shelf one for my off site one every christmas.

I also have a 3.5" backup just in case, but that's just because I'm paranoid. I also use parity and split archiving because muh bit rot and muh xor recovery from multiple sources.

>hdds suck for archiving
>enjoy loosing all data at once

Reminder: if you say one or both of these, you are a pleb and you don't know what you are talking about.

>he doesn't regularly backup his files on an external drive
senpai, the fuck are you doing here?

Get a Drobo, add at least 3 drives, and leave it powered on. It will regularly monitor the status of your data and flash visible red LEDs if there's a problem. You can then add/swap in a new drive, which it will then use to replicate/protect your data. It's like a RAID array, but with all the annoying stuff taken care of for you.

That's what my HPE Ultrium drive is for.

Does it run zfs? If not, what about bit rot or partial/catastrophic hardware failure?

>2 3tb internal drives
>a usb3 dock with 2 ports

what's the best way to store files like old, digitalized VHS that you simply want to last forever but won't access very often?

A Seagate 4TB Backup Plus. I'm looking into getting another hard drive since I've half-filled up that one and need another external HDD.

Toaster + any old disks I have left over.

Harddrives. .rar them with 25% recovery record and split the archive into 50MB chunks. Have 2-3 copies on different drives. Try to connect the drives to a computer at least once every 3-5 years. Don't use helium or SMR drives if you don't intend to transfer the content to new drives for a long time.

Then get old server tape drive equipment.

You can get the 8tb Backup Plus for pretty cheap. Mine cost £180.

Why? They're just standard desktop HDDs inside.

tapes. cheap and easy. something like the HP C7975A LTO

fucking memster

2x 4tb raid1 in windows currently

building soon 4x4tb raidz2, hoping it'll last a few years more

I only use refurb seagates. Im finding the best deals in the 3tb range right now.

Oh shiiit Satan them NAS drives

Get western digital mybook. Best deal out there the parts are actual worth more then what they sell it for.

>yet old ide drives still spin up
Bullshit. SSDs, flash storage in general, is the one that won't work, because it leaks electrons when left unpowered.

So just power it on for a day every six months?

Still need to make a new copy every ~15 years before the magnetic tape starts disintegrating. Point being there is no catch all archive solution that lasts forever.

>this is as far as we've come