/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, try to include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, and size

CPUs:
Intel still uses shitty TIM on its new CPU's so consider nitrogen cooling or a delidding kit
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i3 8100 - Better budget CPU; extra cost of the currently available Z mobos lessens the value of the CPU
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 1700 - Best value for multithread performance right now. 1700x and 1800x is a waste of money if you are not afraid of overclocking.
>i7 8700k - housefire dispenser, ghost-launched so won't be available until a few months
>Threadripper/Used Xeons: Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Rendering

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 if you want to overpay a little.
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070 / 1080 are standard choices. Vega 56 / 64 if you can get it cheap.
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>Consider a 240GB or larger SSD.
>Consider a Wireless Network Adapter, either 2.4 or 5GHz

Other urls found in this thread:

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/fygc8K
pcpartpicker.com/
microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/OEM/Windows/10/UseTerms_OEM_Windows_10_English.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for what is the best low end non-gayming graphics card.

nice cpu tierlist

the one that comes with your motherboard

But I have ryzen!

built in graphics (intel)
whatever cheap ass gpu you can get on craigslist for 20$ (amd w/o igpu)

what does Sup Forumsoyim think of the NZXT H440?

It's a widely liked case.

Hey 2003, haven't heard from you in a while.

Damn everyone in my city is a bunch of fucking jews.

Cheapest cards are like $60 here.

Is ryzen 1400 + gtx 1060 (3gb) and 8gb ram a good build? I'd get 16gb but only a peasant

>gtx 1060 (3gb)
no matter what your circumstances are, this is never a good idea

What's the alternative? It's a $50 jump to the 1060 6GB. At $260 it starts becoming a different price category.

Sorry, $65 extra

Built this a year ago.
Any suggestions on future upgrades?
Also have 2 750gb harddrives that arent listed.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/fygc8K

Looking for a CPU upgrade. Should I sell my 4690k and buy a 4770k/4790k or switch to a new platform entirely? How different are the HT Haswells vs Ryzen?

Asus customer support vs Gigabyte customer support
which is worse

>>G4560/G4600
>>i3 8100

I got a 1200, 1050 Ti and 8 GB, and upgraded to 16GB a week after building. It's limiting for some applications.
Although ram prices are crazy at the moment so eh.

>Looking for a CPU upgrade
Why?

Looking for something that can handle multiple VMs better.

You're fine for now. Upgrade the GPU if you want better gaming performance, I suppose.

yeah man this is what makes it difficult, its like £160 for a 16gb set here which seems ridiculous, spending more on ram then the processor lol...

its only a little more expensive than a 1050ti and much better performance so why is it a bad idea?

Gimped core count, gimped memory speed, gimped memory amount.

Yes, HT will help you.
Check to see how much you would get for your sold i5 and then calculate the cost of the i7.

Sure, but compared to what and what are the alternatives? The 1080 is a gimped 1080ti but still a beast. Being gimped doesn't make it have bad performance for the price.

ld you actually be able to notice if a game was flickering back and forth from, say, 100-150 fps? Or at that point is it so smooth you can't even tell?

Depends on your fresh rate and how extreme it is.

can I use the motherboard hdmi for my gpu?

No, your motherboard will only display from your ipgu

We have two of these threads now. Mods pls ban op

this was here first

so a displayport to hdmi adapter is my only option if I want to use 2 screens with hdmi

What should I focus on for a computer that's mainly for office work? (e.g. QuickBooks, Office, Web E-Mail) Just a decent CPU and a SSD?Budget is around $500.

Yeah probably. Or hdmi to dvi, or use a dvi on your monitor. Hdmi is pretty shit compared to dual link dvi and display port

Intel or Rysen for console emulators?

Intel

Damn.

Now post a RPCS3 benchmark.

Post it yourself

cheapest mATX case I can get?

pcpartpicker.com/

Good build.

It's fine. Next upgrade is a $600 1440p 144Hz monitor.

Stop posting

Cheapest + best CPU for emulation is an OC'd i3 8370K. Kind of a waste of money though.

I'm an AMD shill at heart, and I'll give Intel this one. Most console emulators are single thread (because pre PS3/X360 consoles are single threaded), so this is an instance of higher IPC being better for what you're doing.

Even though I'd personally save the money, get a 1700, and disable SMT for that extra bit of IPC

>Asus customer support vs Gigabyte customer support
>which is worse
Asus probably. I don't really understand the gigabyte hate since they are the one manufacturer that always deliver for me, and for some reason I always get punished whenever I buy a non gigabyte part.

I had an asus laptop. HDD started fucking up, making shitloads of noise while making the whole thing freeze. RMA'd it, asus reinstalled windows and sent it back.

Took another RMA for them to actually replace the HDD.

You'll be alright for now, but it's recommended that you save up more cash for the 6GB version.

>disable SMT for that extra bit of IPC

That is retarded advice - zen's SMT doesn't cause negative scaling in the manner that hyperthreading can as the zen core is much wider.

Get a $10-20 card off eBay. You can usually get an HD6450 or a FirePro V3900.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Not in this market.
You are paying 30% more for substantially less than 30% improvement today.
Future proofing is nice but both speculative and not everyone's interest.

Good option for gaming?

1600x
is it good for emulation?

not right now. Wait until the lower end mobos come out.

Dont trust amd shills. Its the best right now, just look at the benchmarks and it becomes obvious

...which will limit its maximum clockspeed as these lower tier mobos won't have the auto-oc features the higher tier boards do.

>repeating the retarded conspiracy theory adoredTV made up for damage control

I'm building a new rig but I want to keep my old harddrive, if I run the new one on the new drive and after put my old one in to transfer stuff and wipe it would there be any problems?

If you like to pay more for less or money isn't an issue, go for it.

What's a good place to buy windows 10 3rd party, I really don't wanna pay $40 and get a used key with no installation disc

Another one

>when jayz and gamers nexus start backpeddling their results its still the scottish agenda!

And another one

The dolphin benchmark is literally useless, even the devs say so in their forums

Has nothing to do with 8400
Post a good bench then. Ita not secret that intel has and still is best at running emus

Ryzen is hot

>There are people who unironically use intel

>Ryzen is hot
Now post a graph that shows the temperature.

You're implying that cooler temps produces less heat, which means you don't have a grasp on basic physics. Even if you can more effectively remove heat from the processor, the same amount of heat is generated because heat is a function of the power applied and the efficiency of the CPU.

If I have windows 10 on my laptop can I put it on a usb and transfer it to the hardrive on my new computer, or does that not work and you need to buy a new copy and put THAT on a usb

FUCK I wanted to reward AMD for being the good guys but that 8400 chip is perfect for me and it would be an upgrade from my e8400 and thats kind of cute

OEM is one system only I believe
Break out the delidding kit

TIM kind of makes sense for a chip that doesn't heat up much.

>twice the thread count
>only marginally hotter

Coffee lake's effeciency isn't close to what zen offers.

This
Unless you're one of those people that keep 30+ tabs open all day, then you're fine.

It's not worth it just for 4 more threads. May as well get a new build with something like a R5 1600.

>AMD for being the good guys
Since when? To me it seems like both intel, and AMD try to rape my wallet for as much as they can get away with.

It was more of a sarcastic joke about the woes of buying Intel chips
Anyway, cheap TIM isn't as bad on cool chips so I understand Intel's position there

I've been playing a ton of PCSX2 perfectly with my 1600X.

Friendly reminder that unless you're spending $800 on a GPU, the CPU is irrelevant for gaming.

While no company is going to be your friend, AMD's positions on TIM and locked/unlocked chips are much more friendly to the consumer than Intel's.

they bring balance to the force from my perspective

Wrong.

damn. Guess I have to buy a new copy?

Changing motherboards breaks authentication.
If you have OEM you are out of luck. If you have retail you are good to go. Also if you pirate I guess.

I read a little but lost interest but here are the terms
microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/OEM/Windows/10/UseTerms_OEM_Windows_10_English.htm

Go for the 8400.

Ok dad

I'm going to stick with my HD 6670 1GB DDR3 as long as it takes. I refuse to give in to these prices.

hey looking to get a 1060, are the difference between the 3GB and 6GB substantial?
Should I worry about the amount of fans it has I see alot of small single fans and large double fans.

For 60hz monitors, you're right.
For 144hz, you're super wrong.

The VRAM matters for turning up the resolution. It can also lead to stutter if you plan on doing ultra textures etc. It's also missing a handful of SP.

Otherwise the difference is minimal. The core is mostly the same. It's more about future-proofing, but at an extra $70 it's a tough sell for the 6GB.

wtf why is microcenter charging 60 over MSRP

>The VRAM matters for turning up the resolution
Hmm I'm only using a crappy 60hz 1080p, so I guess buying at 6GB wouldn't be worth unless I planned to get a bigger monitor.
Thanks for the explanation.

Demand.

How am I wrong? The only GPUs that push 144hz are $800 ones. Even then, 144hz displays are like 1% of the market.

Good job proving me wrong?

Since the 3gb is a cut down version of the 6gb there is more of a performance hit than just a VRAM bottleneck. So if it fits your budget, get the 6gb but the 3gb can still handle things perfectly well at 1080p.

What is asserted without evidence can be dismissed in kind.

Same can be said to you.