Linux mint is number 1 deal with it

datamation.com/open-source/linux-mint-inside-the-top-linux-distro.html

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

alright? are people actually angry about this?

It is a good choice for newcomers.

This. If I were recommending something for a complete newbie, I would recommend either Mint or Ubuntu

It got hacked how much times? Twice? Im not touching it.

wordpress vulnerability got their website hacked, nothing to do with the os at all.

I always recommend Mint and Ubuntu to newbies, used both myself when I was learning Linux. My dad uses Mint and is very happy with it.

No fucking way it's more popular than Ubuntu.

Good. I'm happy about it. The more accessible and newcomer friendly the OS is, the better.

Should I start with Ubuntu or Mint ? Windows user.

get a mac

Matter of personal taste, same as the WM/DE running under your distro.

Try some, find out what works for you.

>mint

is anyone not using ubuntu just a linux faggot that is autistic? literally 0 reason for anyone to not use ubuntu and support non windows os

I'm a brainlet that switched from Windows to Mint with Cinnamon, since I had read that it was the smoothest transition from the Windows UI. It's been pretty great and seems to just work with most everything, save for an occasional weird flickering on the top of my browser. My only real complaint is that I feel like i'm missing some major resource to troubleshoot with, since every so often I come across an issue that I just can't google my out of, but that might just be because I haven't learned the "right" search terms yet.

what is better than mint for non-noobs?

windows

Do you mean you have some Linux experience and want to go a step further?

Debian.

Consider this your starting point:

wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

Second point:

The Debian Wiki has everything you need to need to know and should be your first port of call before going elsewhere on the internet for information.

Mint

Especially if you have an nvidia gpu; mint is the only distro that is able to genuinely handle nvidia without shitting itself to death.

Even then it's not a guarantee. Nvidia is trash in Linux, stick with AMD where possible.

When is the Ubuntu community going to stop treating Clem like shit and embrace his efforts on Mint? Clem has said repeatedly he is willing to contribute upstream to Ubuntu.

was this posted by matt hartley or "our guy" bryan lunduke? or is this the site that dedoimedo posts on, i forget

Is this still relevant?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

'fraid not: blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994

Coming from Win7, I got used to Mint Cinnamon very quickly.

nah, that's ancient, i'm no fan of mint and hate clem "the feeb" but that's bullshit

op here, i actually use integrated graphics in my mint because of some screen tearing issues with my 960m, i don't do anything in linux that requires that kind of power though so havent fucked with it for more than 20 minutes.

I use Debian because It's just stable for me. On Ubuntu everything always shits the bed after weeks of usage. Takes so long to shut down for ex.
Debian does not have this issue - at least on my machine,

Same for me. Shutdown happens in Debian in under 5 secs. Sure, it's systemd and I have done quite a lot of research on it, and come to the conclusion that I don't care.

Well I do care when Ubuntu isn't even able to properly log out, and I have to wait fucking 2 minutes for it to shutdown.

Debian does it INSTANTLY. And that's why I've used it for awhile now.

*a stop job is running*

Neither. Start with debian based minus systemD MXlinux with xfce, and then move on later to gentoo.

even if it wasnt their fault, you could be using a pwnd OS without knowing

But that's too hard to install.

Manjaro > Mint

Only if you downloaded the ISO from their site and didn't verify the checksum. Torrents were unaffected.

>you could be using a pwnd OS
if you downloaded 17.3 from the link on their website that wasn't the torrent on that exact day

* the cinnamon 64bit iso *